Young mids on our list

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With all the talk of the need for another inside mid do we in fact have a whole bunch of potential inside mids in our wings right now

Just wondering what people think of whether any of our current young crop could make it and if so should we perhaps focus on other requirements ie tall forwards, outside run etc

Just to add - to make it more structured -

1. What is the players' ceiling
2. When will it be reached
3. What could they bring to the table

Last edited:
Lovell, cousins and jor will get games next year as they are capable of playing inside but all 3 had Injury riddled seasons and still have a bit of the unknowns about them so our main mids as it stands are Tom, Jom, Shiels, Howe and Burgoyne with help from Langford and Rough. That's not a bad midfield on face value and our mids were quite good for the most part in the 2nd half of the season, it was the awful out of place forward line that didn't work.
But I agree, we definitely need another inside mid to help Tommy especially if Jaeger doesn't hit Top Gear and Langford / Shiels aren't the answer as they lack a bit of polish.

We have some solid citizens who could improve to be consistent midfield talents.

We need some more A and B graders to fatten up our rotations though.

The 64 dollar question is how many quality midfielders does a team need. Most of the top teams this year are getting by with two. Cotchin and Martin, Dangerfield and Selwood, Sloane and Couch, Gray and Wines. The exception is GWS with a plethora. And they're struggling. Mitchell and a fit Omeara, will suffice provided the likes of Shiels, Burgoyne and the emergence of Burton can contribute.

Cousins is the most promising of newbies, but is a work in progress. ORouke fails to excite, and we havent seen enough of Lovell to make a call with any confidence.

And we are all aware of Langfords limitations.

Another quality mid would give us insurance in the event of Omeara not getting up again. This should be a priority in the trade period.

When you look at Adelaide with Matt Crouch, it really feels like Lovell could have a season like that at some stage. Adelaide came into this year looking like their midfield would be too easily shut down and now I feel like it's a strength. Sloane and the Crouch brothers are one of the more solid engine rooms going around at the moment.

If Lovell and O'Rourke have seasons that live up to their potential then we go very quickly from having a poor midfield to a strong one, but it's a lot of 'if' there.

When you look at Adelaide with Matt Crouch, it really feels like Lovell could have a season like that at some stage. Adelaide came into this year looking like their midfield would be too easily shut down and now I feel like it's a strength. Sloane and the Crouch brothers are one of the more solid engine rooms going around at the moment.

If Lovell and O'Rourke have seasons that live up to their potential then we go very quickly from having a poor midfield to a strong one, but it's a lot of 'if' there.

I think we also saw a little to suggest that Morrison maybe be add to our outside depth and expect Hanrahan to spend more time in the midfield next year at BHH and he has certainly shown glimpses.

With all the talk of the need for another inside mid do we in fact have a whole bunch of potential inside mids in our wings right now

Just wondering what people think of whether any of our current young crop could make it and if so should we perhaps focus on other requirements ie tall forwards, outside run etc

Just to add - to make it more structured -

1. What is the players' ceiling
2. When will it be reached
3. What could they bring to the table

If you tell us when O'Rourke will awaken from his slumber then problem solved.

I think we also saw a little to suggest that Morrison maybe be add to our outside depth and expect Hanrahan to spend more time in the midfield next year at BHH and he has certainly shown glimpses.

I think Hanrahan transitions into more of a Breust role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think you are in the wrong thread... ;)

Haha, to true. Although I think JOR can contribute if injury free, I can't see him being much more than a standard and suitable foot solder and same goes with Lovell and Cousins. We don't have any A-Grade talent in our midfield outside of Jags and Tom.

Haha, to true. Although I think JOR can contribute if injury free, I can't see him being much more than a standard and suitable foot solder and same goes with Lovell and Cousins. We don't have any A-Grade talent in our midfield outside of Jags and Tom.

How many other clubs have more than two A grade midfielders beside GWS?

Carlton and Brisbane have more A Grade mids than most of the comp but I'm not sure I wanna be in their position.

Lovell
High ceiling, he has the same sort of scope as Matt Crouch. Doesn't have the physical assets and height but knows where the ball is and how to get it. He'll be well on his way to achieving his ceiling as soon as he can have a clear run at it. I'm very bullish about his prospects.

O'Rourke
Moderate/high ceiling. It would have been higher once but as with Cyril he'll be limited to flashes due to the nature of hamstring injuries. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

Cousins
Has all the makings of a midfield bull. He's not particularly quick, he's not particularly large but he's good at finding the ball and getting it out. I think he's already shown more than Hallahan did so if he can get a run at it, he'll be challenging for a position with Lovell.

Think apart from Mitchell/JOM the rest of our midfield brigade will be decent footsoldiers at best. That's not a bad thing as they came cheap and every team needs a good support crew/depth.

Burton if he ever rolls into the middle could definitely add to our star power.

Lovell is seriously over-rated on this forum.
Will always be a fringe player.

Absolute rubbish.

1. You think Graeme Wright (his name is not Graeme Wrong) didn't do his homework before selecting him with a 1st round draft pick when Lovell was tipped to go later in the draft?

2. Name me another player since 2007 other then Rioli and Burton that wasn't made to do an apprenticeship at Box Hill before being a regular in the seniors?

2a. Lovell has missed effectively a whole season due to injury in a season he would of played most games given our injuries.

3. How much of Box Hill have you seen in the past 2 years? He has looked very very very good at that level and at many times a class above VFL.

4. Have you ever been to training and seen how hard this bloke works on the track session after session?

Your comment is very uneducated IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back