List Mgmt. Young, Newnes, White & Rice left behind

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbie Young fell to the bigfooty sponsorship curse. Didn’t even see out his contract.
I've mentioned this before but I think it is time for Saints Big Footy to start sponsoring opposition players

Being selected in the national draft, my assumption was Robbie Young was tied to a two year deal.

How have we managed to delist him, was it a mutual thing?

Being selected in the national draft, my assumption was Robbie Young was tied to a two year deal.

How have we managed to delist him, was it a mutual thing?

Paid out

Robbie Young fell to the bigfooty sponsorship curse. Didn’t even see out his contract.

I stopped doing it last year because of this.....I guess I wasn’t the problem!
Time to sponsor an opposition player - how about Danger? 🤣🤣🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i was going to pick either Rice or White to be their player advocate for next season but my curse has struck early with them getting delisted .
Seriously i hope another side picks them up as they are good players .

It's not a good look when you delist someone who is under contract. I think Nicky Winmar was last time we did this.
But the new AFL rule that all draftees get 2yr up front deals means if you make what is effectively an error, you either gotta carry the guy or pay out.
Young had earned his shot though, his pressure acts in forward line in VFL were better than what we'd seen from Minchington or Weller latterly, or Ben Long, hence his promotion to the AFL side. But he played in 3 tough games and struggled to get a touch, and we have loads of small forward types. Think he'll do very well in state league next year.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

It's now officially a curse isn't it?

I wonder if the players are starting to fear our sponsorship

Nah, gives hope to the downtrodden that one day, if you believe, you can last a year in the AFL environment even if you are no good.

One day, there will come a time where we arrive at a function, plant a kiss on their forehead and a full blooded AFL player will rise from the ashes of mediocre chance.

Then we find a detractor and throw apples at them until they flee in terror.

Nah, gives hope to the downtrodden that one day, if you believe, you can last a year in the AFL environment even if you are no good.

One day, there will come a time where we arrive at a function, plant a kiss on their forehead and a full blooded AFL player will rise from the ashes of mediocre chance.

Then we find a detractor and throw apples at them until they flee in terror.
More likely BF Sainters turn up at a function, shake the players hand and introduce themselves, and the player sinks back to his chair, head in hands, and spends the rest of the night updating his LinkedIn for life after footy...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Every year, there's one that hurts. The years pass and the memory fades. The big fear is that the players we pass on look great at future clubs. Ball, Lynch, Cripps, Hutchings. Will any of the 2019 delistées kick on?

Armo - done at AFL level
Longer - don't think he's coming back
Pierce - ruckmen often come on late, wouldn't surprise to see him toil away in the VFL for years and bob up as a mature ager down the track for a club desperate for ruckmen
Young - probably kick on at state level
Rice - maybe Carlton's VFL affiliate might take him in but doubt he finds what he needs to compete in AFL matches.
White - quite possibly. From all accounts more of an application issue, maybe the delisting will be the jolt he needs to take the game seriously

Who's next to the out door? Contracts up in 2020:
  1. McCartin - strongly doubt he'll be extended barring medical miracle and should think about transitioning into next stage of his career
  2. Phillips - probably the most nervous, needs to smash it at VFL to be given any chance
  3. Langlands - needs to prove his worth to be extended
  4. Austin - brought in as a KD, might be surplus to requirements now, barring injuries to others
  5. Clavarino - will he get a chance? one of many intercept defenders, well rated in his draft, should be given a chance to prove himself, could just as easily be discarded
  6. Geary - see how he recovers from horrific injuries, maybe similar to Brown this year, turns 32 in June
  7. Marsh - can he take the next step? Lots in front of him but versatile, good depth, depends on how deep we want to cut
  8. Lonie - keep the form line of this year pre-injury and he'll be fine, but never totally safe
  9. Mayo - low risk to extend rookie contract
  10. Savage - good depth and experience, having old mate Brad Hill at the club helps him, think he'll get a final extension for a couple of years
  11. Parker - cult favourite, in the right position he should excel but as a crumber you'd think his position is vulnerable
  12. Hind - can play forward or back, has the speed that we desire, you'd think he'll be extended
  13. Paton - safe barring extreme drop in form
  14. Bytel - safe barring recurring back injury surely
  15. Steele - surely safe by now
  16. Battle - surely will be extended ASAP
of course there are others with longer contracts who could also get the chop or be traded, but these are the players who will be uncontracted this time next year, barring new contracts or extensions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back