List Mgmt. Young, Newnes, White & Rice left behind

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually thought white had something but was never given the chances some others got to show it.
He might get picked up by another club and he probably have a year to prove himself

man the Father/Son rule hasnt been kind to us at all .... the only two in our history David Sirrakowski and now Bailey Rice compare that to the breeders out geelong way ....

And knowing our luck Riewoldt's three boys will play basketball.

1. Austin - brought in as a KD, might be surplus to requirements now, barring injuries to others

Similar ages, height, weight and played in defense during 2018. Not saying he is better then Howard as there's a lot of Jeremy Howe about him but i think he cops a rough deal on here. Austins best game last year in the seniors he had 26 disposals and 14 marks. I thought at the time he and Marshall had great ceilings. The latter has done it this year. Here's hoping.

Ran into Bailey last night. Think the boys were out for Acres' farewell. He is in good spirits, knows the nature of the industry. Seemed pretty confident in finding a new home. Acres pretty peeved off. Maxy King absolutely enormous, Ro had his tongue down some girls throat, and Hunts looked like he just walked in off the street. Good stuff

Every year, there's one that hurts. The years pass and the memory fades. The big fear is that the players we pass on look great at future clubs. Ball, Lynch, Cripps, Hutchings. Will any of the 2019 delistées kick on?

Armo - done at AFL level
Longer - don't think he's coming back
Pierce - ruckmen often come on late, wouldn't surprise to see him toil away in the VFL for years and bob up as a mature ager down the track for a club desperate for ruckmen
Young - probably kick on at state level
Rice - maybe Carlton's VFL affiliate might take him in but doubt he finds what he needs to compete in AFL matches.
White - quite possibly. From all accounts more of an application issue, maybe the delisting will be the jolt he needs to take the game seriously

Who's next to the out door? Contracts up in 2020:
  1. McCartin - strongly doubt he'll be extended barring medical miracle and should think about transitioning into next stage of his career
  2. Phillips - probably the most nervous, needs to smash it at VFL to be given any chance
  3. Langlands - needs to prove his worth to be extended
  4. Austin - brought in as a KD, might be surplus to requirements now, barring injuries to others
  5. Clavarino - will he get a chance? one of many intercept defenders, well rated in his draft, should be given a chance to prove himself, could just as easily be discarded
  6. Geary - see how he recovers from horrific injuries, maybe similar to Brown this year, turns 32 in June
  7. Marsh - can he take the next step? Lots in front of him but versatile, good depth, depends on how deep we want to cut
  8. Lonie - keep the form line of this year pre-injury and he'll be fine, but never totally safe
  9. Mayo - low risk to extend rookie contract
  10. Savage - good depth and experience, having old mate Brad Hill at the club helps him, think he'll get a final extension for a couple of years
  11. Parker - cult favourite, in the right position he should excel but as a crumber you'd think his position is vulnerable
  12. Hind - can play forward or back, has the speed that we desire, you'd think he'll be extended
  13. Paton - safe barring extreme drop in form
  14. Bytel - safe barring recurring back injury surely
  15. Steele - surely safe by now
  16. Battle - surely will be extended ASAP
of course there are others with longer contracts who could also get the chop or be traded, but these are the players who will be uncontracted this time next year, barring new contracts or extensions.
Going to be difficult to delist 3 players in 2020. Hence trading out of the 2020 draft.
Other possible players out of contract in 2020 Newnes and Brown.

If we end up with 4 spots on the senior list it might see us only draft 3 and rookie one for contract reasons.
I assume rookies only get 1 year deals?

Ran into Bailey last night. Think the boys were out for Acres' farewell. He is in good spirits, knows the nature of the industry. Seemed pretty confident in finding a new home. Acres pretty peeved off. Maxy King absolutely enormous, Ro had his tongue down some girls throat, and Hunts looked like he just walked in off the street. Good stuff

I really didn't need to know that bit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah i heard Blake was not really happy heading to Freo .... has a lot of good mates in Melbourne , reckon if he was going to be traded his preferance would have been to another Victorian club ... having heard his old mans thoughts on Freo previously i reckon the only one happy is his Mum to have her boy back home

as StC will validate the Freo playing list are not exactly a tight knit bunch of blokes so i reckon poor Blake is going to be missing his mates hard next year ... thats the sad thing about it cause we have had a young list come up together with a pretty stable list these guys have over time developed some pretty strong bonds ...

I'd be pretty shocked if Bailey got picked up.

I never really understood this expression. Didn't most people walk in off the street? Or did the other players get airlifted through a hole the roof or something? What does the expression mean?

I think it means he looked like he's homeless. Which is the style for 19 yo's these days. Darn whipper snappers.

I never really understood why we called young people whipper snappers.

I think it means he looked like he's homeless. Which is the style for 19 yo's these days. Darn whipper snappers.

I never really understood why we called young people whipper snappers.
I think it means young kids lazing around all day snapping whips to pass the time.

lead_720_405.png

I think it means young kids lazing around all day snapping whips to pass the time.

lead_720_405.png

I was always taught that it was basically a bastardisation of terms, but yes it was about young kids who had no real drive or future and so did not much of anything. Then somewhere along the line it got connected with thieving which is where snapper came in. English is a whore language so people just made s**t up and you have whipper snapper because labels are fun?

Dunno if it's right though, but seemed legit as English is a nasty language with no real rhyme or reason and I assume it happened when people were poking with swords or trying to avoid them.

Will Young getting the chop be the thing that finally tips Gringo over the edge!?

No he wasn't there long enough to get attached to. Blake, Bruce and Stuv hurt much more. Three favourites sold for a handful of sand. And people wonder why I'm mental.

Very good looking bloke is old mate.

Has teeth like a piano though. The guy has a head bigger than Tom Simpkin and those teeth are so big and white ships have to steer around them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back