Rumour Young players ask Gold Coast not to pick him in draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly right which is why all clubs should be welcome and inviting for the bottom age players.

If the image is so toxic the kids are worried their career is going to be DOA if they're drafted to GC there is a big problem and the AFL needs to launch a probe to fix it.
But you don't actually know if the image is, as you so eloquently put it, "toxic".

I get the feeling you're just dreaming of Lukosius at pick 4 as a Riewoldt heir.

If you want to play in a national competition, you abide by the rules. If you don't want to spend 2 years away from mummy, too bad, stay in the sanfl.
You make wanting to stay close to your family sound like an immature or weak thing.
Perhaps there’d be less problems in the world if more parents developed a stronger bond with their children or solid family values were regularly practiced and more commonplace.

Look I know I'm probably a little more biased in this conversation but it's a really horrible look for a national competition for kids at the high end to say 'I don't want to go to you don't pick me' because they're either:
A) In a non AFL dominant state
or
B) not high up on the ladder
(or a combination of the two if you're Gold Coast right now :()

If a kid is found to be saying this in interviews or trying to tamper with the draft to make sure he doesn't end up at a club, the AFL should just cancel their registration for the draft that year. Just make them play state league until they're willing to genuinely sign up for a national competition.
All GC jokes aside, I 100% agree! Just because the club got a lot of things wrong in the past, doesn’t mean it will continue to be that way. With Dew and Evo there now, they would see this as Operation Ground Zero!! Start with a fresh plate and 18 year olds can’t be picking and choosing.

Look I know I'm probably a little more biased in this conversation but it's a really horrible look for a national competition for kids at the high end to say 'I don't want to go to you don't pick me' because they're either:
or

If a kid is found to be saying this in interviews or trying to tamper with the draft to make sure he doesn't end up at a club, the AFL should just cancel their registration for the draft that year. Just make them play state league until they're willing to genuinely sign up for a national competition.
I'd say Jack doesn't want to go to Gold Coast for
C) Ruins the development of almost every player they touch. Leaves them hobbled, struggling to recover from mistreated injuries.

Surely managers and players are clever enough to know how to do this within the rules these days???

Most managers are dumb as dog s**t shonks and ex players. Half of them talk about offering investment services on their websites and they don't even have an AFSL. I guess they're lucky ASIC are useless as **** on a bull.

At least he was honest in letting them know in advance that he didn't want to go, while obviously not happy to not get the desired kid the flip side is I'd be happy for the honesty if I was trying to recruit long term players to the club.

All GC jokes aside, I 100% agree! Just because the club got a lot of things wrong in the past, doesn’t mean it will continue to be that way. With Dew and Evo there now, they would see this as Operation Ground Zero!! Start with a fresh plate and 18 year olds can’t be picking and choosing.
Absolutely. Not too many of us supporters are under any kind of illusion that the club botched the early years by not setting up the right people to lead the club, but pieces seem to be in place for success now and we have a good young core of players coming through that look really promising. Certainly makes it hard to 'improve' though when as a club you have high draft picks and the best players are outright telling the club they dont want to move North.

I'd say Jack doesn't want to go to Gold Coast for
C) Ruins the development of almost every player they touch. Leaves them hobbled, struggling to recover from mistreated injuries.
What evidence is there of this. every club has injury problems, and the 'ruined development' of players is just a straight up myth.

The worst 'chronic injuries' coming from or still at our club:
Dion Prestia - suffered an impact based PCL injury in mid 2015. Played most of 2016 before a flare up and being put on ice because he knew he was going to Richmond end of the year
Jaeger O'Meara - Had chronic patella tendonitis as a junior. Was sent to the best knee surgeon in the world in London end of 2014 for a clean up, a freak accident where his knee was sandwiched between two players with one landing on top ruptured his patella tendon. Was ticked off to play late 2016 but also wanted to put himself on ice because he knew he was leaving. Very hard injury to return from.
Harley Bennell - Has always had minor calf issues, but at the suns he was still perfectly fine to play majority of each season including his last at GC. His Chronic problems started at Fremantle
Dave Swallow - Another impact based PCL injury. Missed a year, has played 38 games in the last 2 years

We've also moved on our strength and conditioning coach + overhauled our medical department at the end of this season. This is nowhere near the same club it was 4 years ago.

Your club also has many chronically injured players: Mason Wood, Ben Jacobs, Paul Ahern, Jarrad Waite, Jed Anderson
As well as poorly developed early picks over the years: Lachie Hansen, Gavin Urquhart, Sam Wright, Ryan Bastinac, Shaun Atley, Brad McKenzie, Taylor Garner, Luke McDonald, Sam Durdin

If you're going to contribute to the conversation, actually contribute something. Don't just take pot-shots at a club when you don't have an informed opinion about it.

Last edited:
Hi guys

Have this confirmed 100%. Jack Lukosius held a meeting with Gold Coast and told them he has no interest in joining them and pleaded for them to not pick him in the coming draft.

Gold Coast have reported his management to the AFL under the idea of draft tampering and a investigation is happening as we speak.

A fair chance his management are stripped of their licenses to manage AFL players at this point in time, but expect it to be a big story in the next 1-2 weeks

You can take this or leave it and I will not disclose my source for this info under any circumstances so do not ask

If true, the AFL should ban him from the draft.

St Kilda about to hit the Jack-pot if this is true.

How the hell are Gold Coast meant to get better if they have to put up with this bullshit? What a ****en baby, suck it up and do your best.

No they haven't. It's literally a breach of the rules and he will face consequences.

100% Luko should get banned if this is true. What is wrong with these kids? I would have loved to moved interstate at that age, what an adventure. Playing footy, getting good coin.

I just don't get it. Are kids really that attached to their family that they need to see them face to face everyday?

100% correct.

When you sign up for the National Draft I'm sure it says in the fine print somewhere that you will be drafted by any of the 18 clubs and that you may have to move interstate because of it.

If this chap has straight up come out with the "don't pick me" line then he needs to be penalised and so does the grub who is now managing him.

Self entitled baby with poor character. AFL should force him to sign with the Suns until FA kicks in.

The should draft the little prick anyway.

If this is true I hope the AFL throw the book at him and his manager.

said his brother's injury had opened up a place in attack for their representative sides, and he believed both could play in the same forward line together.

He admitted he had spent some time watching the draft order to see where picks would end up.

"It is hard not to think about who has which picks, but we're just trying to focus on what we're doing at the moment and see what happens," Ben said at Marvel Stadium on the opening day of this year's NAB AFL Draft Combine.

"I've started to get my head around [a move interstate] a little bit more, but I would rather stay in Melbourne with my family. But I'll go anywhere where I can play football."

The 18-year-old said it would be a dream to join the Saints.

"I'm a Saints supporter so it'd be great for me to end up there
, but it's hard to tell at this stage so we'll see what happens," he said.

said his brother's injury had opened up a place in attack for their representative sides, and he believed both could play in the same forward line together.

He admitted he had spent some time watching the draft order to see where picks would end up.

"It is hard not to think about who has which picks, but we're just trying to focus on what we're doing at the moment and see what happens," Ben said at Marvel Stadium on the opening day of this year's NAB AFL Draft Combine.

"I've started to get my head around [a move interstate] a little bit more, but I would rather stay in Melbourne with my family. But I'll go anywhere where I can play football."

The 18-year-old said it would be a dream to join the Saints.

"I'm a Saints supporter so it'd be great for me to end up there
, but it's hard to tell at this stage so we'll see what happens," he said.

How is this relevant to the thread at all? Why did you quote me? Is this some South Australian desperation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he said he'd prefer to stay in Victoria in an interview with a journo? As opposed of directly telling a club he has 0 interest in playing for them? Yeah, totally the same.

Lay off the West End Drought.
So you know Luko said this on the back of some numpty on BF

So you know Luko said this on the back of some numpty on BF
Nope. I said 'if' it's true in my first post. My other was replying to someone under the assumption it's a given.

If the OP is making stuff up, he'll go to the Gold Coast. If Lukosius went and told them he has 0 interest in playing for them, he should be banned from entering the draft. Simple as that.

I quoted you because I expect you to say the King boys are sooks and should be banned from the draft
huge difference between having a preference to stay in your home state (most players) vs outright telling a club not to pick you because you don't want to go to them

huge difference between having a preference to stay in your home state (most players) vs outright telling a club not to pick you because you don't want to go to them
Do you really think young players arent coached to not say that? Do you truly believe Luko or any draftee says to a club ' nah dont pick me' ? Not this day and age

or

Or C) want to make the most of their time in the game by maximising their talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back