Rumour Young players ask Gold Coast not to pick him in draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see the AFL try and uphold a sanction where a draftee says he doesn't want to go to a given club and he intends to leave after his compulsory contract. I don't think honesty would be punished in court in that circumstance and the AFL would risk a precident they can't manage. Increasing the initial contract term has been floated by a lot of commentators and punters but the AFLPA have to be appeased or the whole thing is at risk. The tighter the controls the more likely the restraints if trade are potentially unreasonable. It isn't in any doubt that the rules are a restraint of trade. The argument is whether they are unreasonabe.

Young players should be smart about it.

Go to gold coast, play two years knowing you're way higher up the pecking order and get AFL games.

Then the world is your oyster. If you're a tall you'll hold your prestige for two years, have your agent talk to a few media guys and mention you're keen to get to Melbourne (even if you're from elsewhere) and they will start talking about you, talking = money.

Sign five year, $800,000 a year deal back in your home state meanwhile the guy drafted in the same group as you hasn't played half as many games and signed a two year extension on $200,000 a year.

100% spot on.

No they haven't. It's literally a breach of the rules and he will face consequences.

I don't think it is. He's free to speak openly to clubs. I'm pretty sure that he's also free to sit out the contract period if he refuses to go to the club that drafts him. I'm not sure why the fuss, Gold Coast can still take the punt, turn him around or trade him in a year or 2 or he'll be forced to sit out if he doesn't go. Or, with all the facts, choose the next best kid who will actually be happy to play there.

One thing is certain, if he turned around after the draft and said, "nope, I'm not going there, I'm sitting out", Gold Coast would be spewing and complaining, "why the hell didn't he tell us".

I brought this up myself and was told it has been a saga of about 2 months. Gold Coast know for 100% certainty that Carlton will not pick him up so have done a few meetings along the lines of "Hey, when can you get here, we would like too introduce you too everyone because we are going to draft you".

When that level of discussion is happening then subtly probably does need to go out the window
I just don’t understand why they would pick him if that’s the way he feels. He’s not the next messiah

Last edited:
Exactly right which is why all clubs should be welcome and inviting for the bottom age players.

If the image is so toxic the kids are worried their career is going to be DOA if they're drafted to GC there is a big problem and the AFL needs to launch a probe to fix it.
How much more money and freebies do they give them before realising it’s not going to work?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#updated

Hi guys
Have this confirmed 100%. Jack Lukosius held a meeting with Gold Coast Port Adelaide and told them he has no interest in joining them and pleaded for them to not pick him in the coming draft.

Gold Coast Port Adelaide have reported his management to the AFL under the idea of draft tampering and a investigation is happening as we speak.

A fair chance his management are stripped of their licenses to manage AFL players at this point in time, but expect it to be a big story in the next 1-2 weeks

You can take this or leave it and I will not disclose my source for this info under any circumstances so do not ask .

Only way this 'rumour' gets confirmed is if the Suns don't take Lukosius at 2 or 3 (provided Carlton take Walsh).

By all reports, club is really impressed by him both from a football perspective and from a maturity perspective and he's basically locked in to be taken at 2. No way that happens if this has any substance to it.

Only way this 'rumour' gets confirmed is if the Suns don't take Lukosius at 2 or 3 (provided Carlton take Walsh).

By all reports, club is really impressed by him both from a football perspective and from a maturity perspective and he's basically locked in to be taken at 2. No way that happens if this has any substance to it.
Just try not to break him the next two year, k.

Personally, I think that anyone who nominates for the draft needs to get serious and accept that playing AFL and accepting the considerable salary comes with some responsibilities. I'd like to see first round draft picks have 3 year contracts. 2 years is long enough to hold out and not buy in. 3 is a stretch.

If this is true I can't see why we'd want him then. Waste of development and resources on someone who is always going to leave.

Spot on.
Whilst the Gold Coast is home to heaps of AFL fans, these fans are basically ex-pat Victorians, South Australians & Tasmanians and already had a team. Whoever it was in the AFL who thought these ex-pats would become turncoats, IMO, must have been doing serious amounts of substances or were simply delusional.
99% of the time kids support the same team as their most footy mad parent follows. It's a terrific bond which a parent can share with their kids. Could you imagine any diehard supporter living on the Gold Coast failing to pass on their love of their team to their kids?
I have a 10-year-old son who is a handy player & like most kids who play, he dreams of playing in the Big League. He wants the Suns to die, so he doesn't have to play for them & he's serious lol. IMO the Suns are a bad joke.
So 99% of Brisbane supporters are previous Fitzroy fans?

There are many new AFL fans which was the whole concept. Grow the game.

With rugby league issues more and more families are choosing for their children to play footy.

By this logic a Tasmanian team would have zero support as they aren’t introducing anyone to the game and people down there will already have teams they support.

Didn't something similar happen way back when Nathan Buckley was first drafted ? He desperately wanted to play for Collingwood and was refusing to play for Brisbane, but was persueded by the AFL to join Brisbane and eventually got to Collingwood via trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back