Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Round 1

1. GWS - Tom Boyd (199cm, 102kg forward - Eastern Ranges)

He is the player that just about every team wants, and who can blame them? A full forward as strong as Tom Boyd doesn't come around all that often. In terms of where he ranks with a couple of other players around his age, I'd have him behind Jesse Hogan but just a shade ahead of Jon Patton. So really, he is deserving of the #1 selection. He does everything you'd be looking for from a franchise key forward - really strong hands, one of the best contested markers the U18s has seen. You could make the argument that he is dominating due to his size advantage, but he isn't the first player to be bigger than his opponents. He is just making the most of it. And even if he wasn't so strong, he reads the play and knows where to position himself so he'd mark it more often than not anyway. As for what he does after he marks it, I'd be backing him in to kick the goal from anywhere inside of 60m. Like Roughead, he could run through the ruck if needed to. But I don't think it's a strength of his, best just to leave him up forward.

2. Melbourne - James Aish (183cm, 74kg midfielder - Norwood)

The top pure midfielder in the draft, Aish has been a star of the underage SANFL scene for a number of years now. Right from his league debut as a 16 year old, he has pretty much been spoken about as a potential #1 selection. And there is a good reason for such high acclaim. He already looks like a seasoned AFL player when he has the ball in hand. He has more time than anyone else on the field, seemingly always makes the right decision and uses the ball as well as anyone. It's his general football smarts and ability to work his way into space which makes him a better contested ball winner than his slight frame may lead you to believe. Gary Ablett is hardly a bull in at the centre bounces, but he can find the gaps better than anyone. So while Aish may largely be an outside player at first (which would be his only negative in my view) I think he'll become a complete midfielder in no time and will be someone to build a team around.

3. St Kilda - Josh Kelly (182cm, 73kg midfielder - Sandringham)

I get the feeling that some people aren't quite sure about Josh Kelly, and I think it stems from the fact that he is considered an 'outside' midfielder. It seems as though people are under the impression that that means they are incapable of winning their own ball and are solely seagulls on the outside. But that's not necessarily true for Kelly. Yes, he isn't a huge contested ball winner. His strength lies on the outside, but he still goes in hard when it's his turn. And he still does all the team things. I wouldn't consider his inside game any worse than Tom Scully or Lachie Whitfield, and they were top selections. It's just a matter of using them right. Kelly has absolutely elite endurance, he wont stop running all day. And you can see that just from looking at his statistics, where he consistently leads his team in handball receives. You can't blame his teammates for feeding him the ball either, because he is an excellent kick and a long one at that. Any forward would love to be on the end of one of his kicks.

4. Western Bulldogs - Matthew Scharenberg (190cm, 89kg utility - Glenelg)

I would personally consider Scharenberg the best player in the draft. I think he does get a little underrated because people don't know exactly what he'll be at the next level, probably in part due to similar sized players in the past. Is he a midfielder? A key position player? A flanker? I would suggest he is all these things, much in the same way that Brendan Goddard can fill any number of roles. I think he'll start off on a half back flank, pushing up to a wing as an outside midfielder. But with a couple of years under his belt, he'll be able to offer a marking target at CHF or an attacking option from CHB. Scharenberg arguably reads the ball better than anyone else in the draft, he is a good strong mark, has nice foot skills and athletically is above average. I don't think he has any real area of weakness, it's just a question of how he goes fitting into the different roles. He looks to be a combination of a few different players to me - Goddard, Sam Fisher, Sam Mayes and even a bit of the Riewoldt's. And I have no issue with putting him in that company.

5. Gold Coast - Jonathon Marsh (191cm, 89kg forward - East Fremantle)

One of the more interesting players to watch come draft day will likely be Jonathon Marsh, he could easily go inside the top 10 or drop down closer to the second round. Some will view him as a midfielder, some a key forward and others as a flanker. I don't think you can put Marsh in the same boat as other forwards in the 188-192cm range, he is a completely different player. He has versatility that the likes of Darling and Membrey don't. Up until this year, Marsh was a midfielder. A reasonably tall one, and a very fast one. He had worked hard to get his game to where it was, and I still think he offers great potential as a midfielder. But this year, he was thrown into the role as a CHF - with varying degrees of success. His marking game improved with the more games he played, and he is more than competing in the air and doesn't mind going for a big leap. It's his running power and elite speed which really sets him apart as a forward though, very few will be able to go with him on the lead or keep up when he runs back towards the goals. The ability to play small as a key forward shouldn't be underestimated. It's that sort of versatility that will likely see him going much earlier than what I have him.

6. Brisbane - Lewis Taylor (173cm, 73kg midfielder - Geelong)

It seems that every year now, there is one player under the 175cm mark who is pushing for top 10 selection. And generally, it's said that the only reason they aren't a top 3 selection is because of their height. We've seen Prestia and Smith, and this year that player is Lewis Taylor. Taylor shares quite a few traits with both of those players. Athletically, he is very good - both in terms of speed and agility. Maybe he wont test in the absolutely top bracket, but he seems to play quicker - and a large reason for that, is because he knows where to run and can hit the holes. As I've said elsewhere, I consider him a mix of Brent Harvey's outside run and Dion Prestia's inside wrecking ball style of player. Taylor will consistently win 25+ disposals, and is solid with his use of the ball. I could see him starting his career across half forward before making the permanent move into the midfield, because while he isn't the most natural crumber he can bob up for goals and should provide good defensive pressure.

7. North Melbourne - Luke McDonald (188cm, 80kg utility - Oakleigh)

The great white hope for North Melbourne, there is no doubt that they will select him and it's almost guaranteed that it will cost them their first round selection. I personally would have him somewhere in the 5-10 range, so it would be a good value pick for North regardless. I thought Luke McDonald was a little disappointing in the U18 Championships for Vic Metro, he won plenty of the ball and used it well but didn't really have a huge impact. And he played a largely uncontested game, I thought he could have done much more in the midfield given his physical stature. But, he'll play every game across half back for North Melbourne next year and will be a major upgrade on what they currently have. The kid is strong, attacks the ball and uses it very well by foot.

8. West Coast - Blake Acres (188cm, 84kg midfielder - West Perth)

The fact that Blake Acres missed the majority of the U18 Championships with a shoulder injury was probably the most disappointing thing to happen to the tournament. He was probably the one player that I really wanted to see, and he would have made the WA side so much more competitive as he adds something that little bit different to the rest of the WA midfielders - in fact, something different to most of the midfielders in the whole draft. For starters, he is a genuinely big midfielder - will still get a bit stronger, I saw someone describe him as 'rangy' and thats fairly accurate. Think his body and strength will develop as it has with Nat Fyfe. He is one of those players who just makes the game look easy, he is an absolute ball magnet, strong in the air and reads the play very well. And like Fyfe, he can play pretty much anywhere on the ground. Although, I think he'll go the opposite route and play as a half back/midfielder as opposed to going forward. He could be just as good as Birchall as a rebounding defender, with possibly a greater ability to play through the midfield. A top 10 talent, who I only have lower down due to somewhat limited viewings.

9. Carlton - Jack Billings (183cm, 78kg midfielder - Oakleigh)

I really don't know what I think about Jack Billings. I know some people rate him in the top 4 of this draft, with some recruiters liking him more than the South Australian pair at the top of my draft. But I just can't get excited about him. He has everything you'd want from a player - versatility, football smarts, excellent disposal and strong athletically. He has put up some very impressive games at TAC Cup level and as an underaged player last season in the U18 Championships. But, I can just see inconsistency being a major issue for him. He struggled to have an impact this year for Vic Metro, barely averaging over 12 disposals a game. I'm just not sure he becomes a genuine midfielder. So far he has made his name more as a medium forward, although I'd be tempted to develop him into a half back. He reads the play very well and can be damaging with his disposal - think he'd do better with the game unfolding infront of him, and being able to play as a loose man too.

10. GWS - Nathan Freeman (181cm, 85kg midfielder - Sandringham)

Nathan Freeman developed quite the bandwagon a couple of months ago, with some calling him the best midfielder in the draft. I've never really seen that. I think if you're picking Freeman, you're picking him based on what he could become - not what he is right now. He isn't the most consistent or dangerous midfielder in the TAC Cup, or even for Sandringham. He isn't a big goal kicker, often not having as much of an impact as he could forward of centre. And I personally don't think he is as good a kick as some make him out to be. But, he has flashed potential throughout the season. He has shown that he can kick goals, he has shown he can rack up the disposals with the best of them and he has shown excellent vision and decision making with his kicking. He just doesn't do it enough at this stage for me. What he does offer already though, is a strong body and excellent speed. And that is why he will go in the first round, somewhere in the 10-15 range in my opinion.

11. Port Adelaide - Luke Dunstan (185cm, 83kg midfielder - Woodville)

The captain of the South Australian side, if a team was after leadership and a future captain then Dunstan would likely be the first player picked in the draft. I'm finding him to be one of the harder players to place in the draft. His peformances over the last 18 months would suggest him to be a very early pick, in the SANFL U18s in particular he has just dominated. Consistently picking up 30+ touches and being named in the bests pretty much every week, as a 17 year old he was often overshadowing his older teammates. And he has carried that form through to the Championships this year. But something makes me think he could slide, just a tad. I'm not sure his kicking is quite as good as some people are making it out to be, I suppose he gets it done but its not always pretty to look at. The fact that he, more often than not, makes the right decisions certainly makes his disposal look a little better. But a 185cm inside midfielder who can also take a strong mark is always in demand, and you can afford him one slight weakness.

12. Essendon - Ben Lennon (187cm, 79kg utility - Northern Knights)

Lennon is probably the one player who I've changed my mind on the most. At one stage, I had him in the top 5 and I've also had him as low as about 15. And I don't really know where he will go come the draft, other than it will be somewhere in that quite large range. Where he goes will probably depend on what position clubs view him as playing - half forward, half back or midfield. Personally, I think it will be as a swingman capable of playing off either flank - even though his late season midfield form has been decent in the TAC Cup. I've seen some people compare him to Goddard, but he is more of a Robert Murphy for me. Lennon can play tall or small, and marks strongly in the air. With ball in hand, he is a smart player who can set up a lot of attack - I could see him making the high risk kicks into the centre corridor look easy. And that's why I like him best off of half back, where he can set up the game. Another player who has had consistency issues, and might take a couple of years to really nail down a set position.

13. Collingwood - Matthew Crouch (181cm, 80kg midfielder - North Ballarat)

In terms of the midfielders likely to come off the board early this year, there is a distinct lack of genuine inside ball winning midfielders. And this season, Matthew Crouch is clearly the best on offer. I would rate him alongside of Oliver Wines, not quite at his brother's level yet though. He is an absolute ball magnet, only having 30 disposals in the TAC Cup would be considered a quiet match for him as he is regularly hitting the 40 mark. Always at the bottom of the packs, Crouch is a natural in winning the contested ball and getting the quick handball out to his teammates. But he also reads the packs well, and can clear the ball himself with his run. A wrist injury meant he missed the first few weeks of the U18 Championships, but he returned in excellent form. And he used his time away to really improve his fitness base, which was one area in which he did need work. For an inside midfielder, he uses the ball pretty well on his left boot. At this stage, he doesn't have a huge impact on the scoreboard but that's a minor thing for a player of his type.

14. Richmond - Trent Dumont (185cm, 83kg midfielder - Norwood)

Almost the forgotten midfielder from South Australia, he just seems like one of those guys who will be forever underrated. We saw the same with the likes of Conca and Vlastuin in recent years, and both of them went in the top 10. Could it happen again? Dumont is a similar player to his teammate Dunstan - tall, strong midfielder who is a genuine ball winner. He can play inside and win his own ball, or work on the outside. Wouldn't surprise me if he began his career off of half back, before moving into the middle. Has a very good kick on him, really penetrates the lines and is just clean with everything he does. If anything, he probably doesn't have the turn of speed that teams may be looking for from such an early pick. But he does have good endurance, and that shouldn't be discounted. I can just see him coming in and having a real impact right from Round 1, he is doing just that in the SANFL seniors at the moment after all.

15. Sydney - Kade Kolodjashnij (188cm, 76kg utility - Launceston)

The form of Kade Kolodjashnij was one of the main stories coming out of the U18 Championships, and he has well and truly cemented his spot inside the first round. If Tasmania do one thing well, it's highlighting their best players. They did it last season with Thurlow, and this time they did whatever they could to show off Kade in the best possible light. While some may have him in top 10 calculations, he isn't quite there for me. But I'm happy to have him in the 15-20 range. It's easy to see why people like him though, height being the obvious one. He reads the play really well, zones off his man and is a very good uncontested mark in the back line. With ball in hand, he makes good decisions and is a nice clean kick. Given those attributes, it's no surprise he performed so well as a loose man/rebounding defender. I'd like to see a bit more in terms of actual midfield performances, because it's largely potential at this stage. Not entirely convinced he has the contested game to make a permanent midfield move, and I think he plays better when he can see the game unfolding in front of him as opposed to making it happen himself.

16. Fremantle - Cameron McCarthy (195cm, 89kg forward - South Fremantle)

One of the nicest surprises at the U18 Championships was the form of Cameron McCarthy. I'd been waiting to see which key position player would really step it up and put his name forward as an early selection, and without a doubt it was the big West Australian. His team really needed him to provide a target, and he did just that all tournament long. He's hard to miss out there on the field when he is flying for a mark, and I'm a firm believer that not enough AFL footballers wear headbands. He jumps high, attacks the ball at it's peak and more often than not will come down with it. McCarthy is still quite raw, his kicking technique is hardly textbook but it still gets results. All in all, he reminds me of Aaron Black from North Melbourne - and while it might take a couple of years to really see his best, I could see him following the same path. Obviously his Championships ended with a broken leg, but early reports put it in a different category to the career threatening tibia/fibula fractures that we've seen far too often recently. So I don't think it will hurt his status as the second best key forward in the draft.

17. Geelong - Dom Sheed (183cm, 82kg midfielder - Subiaco)

There is a lot to like about Dom Sheed, but there is something there which to me suggests he will go later than people may think. All season, I've had him around the 10-20 position and his impressive form in the Championships has done little to change my opinion. It's not the 'lack of speed' that you keep hearing, it's just that I'm not convinced he truly is 'elite'. Would you select a Jack Redden or Brad Ebert in the top 5 or 10? That's the type of player I would put Sheed alongside - pretty bloody good, but not someone who will take the AFL by storm. I like his inside midfield game, just has that ability to read the play better than others and come out of the packs with the ball. And while I wouldn't call him an elite user of the football, he always seems to make the right decisions. And if he can find the same amount of time and space at the next level, I'm sure we'll see the same thing again. One of the question marks I had over him was his versatility, and how damaging a midfielder he would be. But I was pleased to see him kick some goals for WA, because it's not something he has done a lot of before this last month.

18. Hawthorn - Marcus Bontempelli (191cm, 83kg midfielder - Northern Knights)

Possibly my favourite player in the draft, yes even ahead of the South Australians. At the start of the season I picked Marcus Bontempelli as my bolter, and I was talking him up to anyone who would listen. And I'm pleased to see more people jumping on board of the bandwagon. I've read people saying that if he grows a little more, that he would be KPP height. While that is true, the kid is a midfielder and could be something genuinely special at that height. In previous years, Marcus has played more as a flanker/outside midfielder. He is a rangy type player who moves really well, with both decent speed and a strong endurance base. Really nice leap on him, and he is a very good kick - both long and strong. The reason I'm such a fan is because of the improvements I've seen in his inside game, he is starting to really use his body well and he gets himself into good positions. I'm not saying he will be as good, but he could potentially develop into a Jobe Watson type - versatile, damaging and wins his own ball.

19. Gold Coast - Darcy Gardiner (192cm, 84kg defender - Geelong)

The general thoughts with Darcy Gardiner are that he is the best key defender in the draft, but that there isn't much competition behind him. So given that, is he really a first round pick? Or is his value inflated because of a lack of other options? Well, I'm of the opinion that he deserves to be talked about as an early pick on the back of his performances alone. Tomlinson from the Giants has had an excellent debut season, but I would have Gardiner slightly ahead in terms of their draft years. He has proven himself to be the best key defender in the TAC Cup, and was named the All Australian full back in the U18 Championships. Not the most attacking player, but he has gradually improved as the season has gone on and he isn't a liability with ball in hand. Ted Richards is probably the best comparison in my opinion as a defender. But Gardiner has also gone forward this season, taking some strong marks and kicking a few goals. So maybe that will be an option in a few years, but he'll play down back at first.

Round 2

20. GWS - Jarman Impey (176cm, 78kg forward - Murray)

No doubt people know by now that I like my flashy small forwards/midfielders, and I tend to rate them a little higher than others. But, I don't think I'm overrating Jarman Impey at all. It's the opposite, I think he is being underrated by everyone else and will likely go somewhere around the 20-25 mark. That clever forward/fast midfielder role is becoming increasingly important, you just have to look at the impact of players like Walters and Motlop this year. And I think Jarman compares well to Steven Motlop from Geelong. He has the skills, the speed and the general agility. But he also quite a solid body, he isn't a lightly framed kid who'll take years to develop physically - he has shown this year the ability to win his own ball in the clearances, while losing none of his x-factor around goals. Might take him a little while to get his endurance up to where it needs to be, but that's about the only thing holding him back at the moment.

21. Melbourne - Christian Salem (183cm, 82kg midfielder - Sandringham)

Proving I never learn from my mistakes, I'm going to continue underrating Christian Salem only to see him go inside the first round come the draft. For some reason there is always that one midfielder (typically a Victorian) that I just don't get all that excited by. And this year, it seems as though Salem is that guy. I should like him. He is a strong bodied midfielder, capable of both winning his own ball or linking up on the outside. In fact he is a very strong midfielder, he can break tackles and push off his opponents with relative ease at U18 level. I've seen some people suggest he has that 'time and space' ability of the elite players, but I don't see that personally. He's just stronger so he can work into space, as opposed to being hugely athletically gifted. His disposal is an interesting one for me, he has a very good looking left boot on him but I don't think the end result is always as good as it should be. As a midfielder he has shown he can go forward and kick goals, while he also shown the ability to play off half back. All in all, I'd compare him to Nick Suban at Fremantle.

22. St Kilda - Cameron Giles (195cm, 93kg defender - Woodville)

Cameron Giles would have to be one of my favourite stories from the Championships this year, he has really taken to being the #1 man in defence for South Australia and he is showing another side to his game. In the SANFL, he has generally been playing a bit higher up the ground at CHB - and has even been running through the ruck and midfield. It's a role he has done very well, consistently winning 20+ touches. And considering he is 195cm and 93kg, that's pretty impressive. Plus, he doesn't butcher the ball either. A couple of years ago we saw Sam Frost drop to the rookie draft playing a similar role, but that's where Giles' Championships form comes into play. To an extent, he has sacrificed his rebound to play a strong defensive game at full back. Seeing him go against Boyd would have been great and I think he would have done a lot better than people may think, but he has beaten the opponents he has come across. And you can't ask for much more than that from a full back.

23. Western Bulldogs - Darcy Hourigan (191cm, 93kg forward - South Adelaide)

Don't think it's any surprise that I'm quite the Hourigan fan, and I don't really care about his height. I think the way they play is more important than whether they are 191cm or 193cm. And Hourigan plays taller than what he is. For starters, he is a well developed 18 year old. Playing senior SANFL football as a 15 year old will do that to you I suppose. As a forward, he keeps things reasonably simply. He plays in front, leads straight to the ball and pushes his opponent off. Yes, he is carrying a little bit of puppy fat but he is strong. And he has that big backside that all the best forwards have - which lets him crash the packs like a much bigger player, or outposition his defender. It's a large part of why I compare him to the likes of Darling and Pavlich. One thing I've liked seeing this year is him playing further up the ground around the CHF spot, his running power has improved and it looks like he still has improvement to come in that regard. In his younger days, Hourigan also spent time down back so he could prove to be a valuable swingman too.

24. Gold Coast - James Battersby (177cm, 78kg midfielder - Sturt)

Heading into the U18 Championships, I thought South Australia had one weakness and that was in terms of a small defender. We didn't really have anyone playing that role in the SANFL, not someone who could shut down the dangerous opposition small forwards. But a month in, and Battersby has turned that position into a real strength for SA. Consistently being named in the bests, he is both winning his own ball and rebounding well but also keeping his opponent quiet. He would have to be one of the more underrated prospects in the draft. As a 16 year old, he was very highly rated and considered one of the top players of his age in the state. Since then, he has made his SANFL league debut and stepped straight into the starting midfield at Sturt. Against much more mature players than himself, he has excelled at the stoppages and always seems to be the player at the bottom of the pack. The knock on him may be how much growth and improvement he has to come, but he is a smart and well rounded player who could easily come in next year and play through the midfield or in a back pocket.

25. Brisbane - Daniel McStay (194cm, 88kg defender - Eastern Ranges)

I've been talking up Daniel McStay for some time now, and he'd be one of my favourite KPPs in the draft - I'm still not entirely sure where he goes, particularly whether others rate him as highly as I do. But he did receive a Draft Combine invite, so that's a good sign to suggest I'm not completely wrong about him. His development as a player has been quite good to watch over the last couple of seasons, with a growth spurt taking him from tall midfielder to genuine key position player. That time spent in the midfield has certainly helped his running game, which is always nice in a tall. He has spent time up forward, and has done reasonably well with his strong marking. But, he is definitely a more natural defender. He reads the play quite well, rebounds nicely and has clean skills. Unfortunately he didn't get a lot of game time in the U18 Championships, and still does need to develop the physical side of his game. But what I like is that he has an air of confidence about him, and always seems to back himself in against his opponent. Always a good sign in a young tall, and should be able to back that up with performances once he gets stronger.

26. North Melbourne - Eli Templeton (182cm, 67kg midfielder - Burnie)

In my opinion, the best player out of Tasmania this year is Eli Templeton. A couple of others may have bigger profiles at the moment, but I think he projects quite nicely as a midfielder and he has enough quality attributes to suggest he'll have a real impact. He is quite lightly framed, but he'll fill out over time and it isn't causing him too many issues playing senior football in Tasmania. Templeton will no doubt be compared to Dyson Heppell because of the similar hairstyles, but I do think they could follow similar career paths - start as an outside midfielder/flanker, and slowly over the years move into a more permanent midfield role. The one thing I really like with Templeton is what he does with the ball in his hands, he is a really creative user of the ball and more often than not he'll hit his target. Finding the ball isn't an issue for Eli either, consistently racking up 20+ touches. He also has the versatility to play as a rebounding defender, and knows where the goals are up forward too. Lots to like, and I do think he projects as the best of the Taswegians long term.

27. West Coast - Billy Hartung (176cm, 71kg midfielder - Dandenong)

The other sub-180cm midfielder in the draft, Billy Hartung isn't getting quite as much attention as Taylor - and that may prove to be an oversight. Maybe that will change after the Draft Combine, because I expect he will test extremely well. He'd be the odds on favourite to win the beep test, and has shown all year that he can run out games with the very best athletes. He should also test quite well in the 20m sprints, which is a handy combination with his endurance. As a player, he is largely an outside receiver and that probably wont change much at the next level up. He works extremely hard, so is a big ball winner and a dangerous link up player on the outside. Hartung has also shown some good versatility - he can play up forward as a goal sneak, but has also shown he can play defensive roles. In the U18 Championships, he held Aish quite well while not sacrificing his own game either. I think of him as a little bit like Luke Dahlhaus, he is only small and maybe limited in what role he can play, but he'll work harder than anyone and will always find a way to get involved.

28. Carlton - Nick Robertson (188cm, 83kg midfielder - West Perth)

I've been a big fan of Nick Robertson, largely since his game against South Australia in the U18 Championships last year. I thought he was arguably best on ground, and for an underaged kid he had a real impact on the stoppages. Thought he used his body really well, and seemed to get to the right spots at the right time. If I remember correctly however, he went off injured and unfortunately that has been a common theme with Robertson since. And he underwent shoulder surgery just prior to the Championships this season, with the aim of returning to the WAFL towards the end of the season. But all that aside, I'd still be happy to pick him up early. He reminds me a bit of Jack Ziebell, except with much better endurance. In the midfield, he is hard to shift when he is going for the ball and has decent foot skills on both sides of his body. Also tackles hard, and can play across half back with his defensive side. Sometimes he can go missing a bit outside of the stoppages, but I think that's just because he prefers the tough stuff. Because his workrate and endurance can't be questioned.

29. Port Adelaide - Mitch Harvey (195cm, 95kg forward - North Adelaide)

If you had been following my posts in the South Australian draft thread, then you'd know that Mitch Harvey has been one of my absolute favourites all season. His form in the SANFL U18s and Reserves was excellent, taking marks and kicking goals with ease. It didn't really seem to matter who he was up against. And so far for South Australia, he has continued on with that form and would be putting his name up for All Australian honours. Despite this, I was trying to downplay the hype a bit as he still had some way to go - for example in February he weighed in at 104kg, with high skin folds and only just broke level 10 on the beep test. But he has already dropped 9kg, and his running power has definitely improved too judging from his work in the ruck and at CHF. He does project best as a stay at home full forward though, being strong in the air and on the lead. And with his form and the work he has put in this year, he certainly deserves being talked about as an early selection.

30. Essendon - Dayle Garlett (181cm, 76kg midfielder - Swan Districts)

Everyone knows the story of Dayle Garlett, an absolutely elite talent who has let himself down with his off field activities. Seems a common trend this year is people saying about how their team should have rookie listed him, based on how well he is doing in the WAFL. But I very much believe the fact he wasn't drafted has played a key role in his performances. Who knows what might have happened had he found himself on an AFL list. But (hopefully) that's all in the past now and he is still a top 10 talent, so that's where he finds himself in my draft. He has turned himself into one of the very best league players in the WAFL, a hugely damaging midfielder who is consistently winning 20+ touches a game. And quite rightly so, he will look to kick the ball at least 80% of the time he has it in his hands. Linking up on the outside, winning the ball inside, Garlett has done it all this season. And not only that, but he is 7th in the goal kicking with 30 goals in just 11 games. Assuming he gets picked up, he'll play every game and win the Rising Star next year.

31. Collingwood - Isaiah Miller (187cm, 82kg utility - Bendigo)

The first time I saw Isaiah Miller play live was in the opening rounds of the 2012 TAC Cup season, and I've been a big fan of his ever since. Even as an underaged player, he stood out in what were pretty ordinary conditions. Yet despite the wind and rain, you could see he was just a class above with his decision making and disposal. I'm not quite sure why he hasn't been talked about more often to be honest, because he has had a pretty good season. Miller has averaged well over 20 disposals per game in the TAC Cup, playing across half back and up on to a wing. In the U18 Championships, he had a very solid campaign and was the general of the Vic Country back line - finishing equal 5th amongst all players for rebound 50s. And he has made his VFL debut, where he was named amongst the bests in his first game. He isn't overly quick, and perhaps isn't the best pure defender - but the same could be said about Grant Birchall, and he is doing all right for himself. And that's the role I see Miller playing, where he can make use of being able to read the play better than most and set the play up going forward.

32. Richmond - Jay Kennedy Harris (173cm, 68kg forward - Oakleigh)

Midway through the season, Jay Kennedy Harris was getting quite a bit of attention - being talked up as a potential top 20 selection. A lot of that talk seems to have quietened down more recently, but all that means is that a few could be surprised at how early he goes. First of all, don't let his size fool you. He is far from just an outside player - he is surprisingly strong in his core which, coupled with his speed and agility, sees him break through tackles with relative ease at U18 level. And apparently nobody told him that he is so small, because he throws himself into the contests and tackles well. Last year, he played primarily as a small forward and he did it well. He has a real sense of where the goals are, and could make all the trick shots. This year, he has moved into the midfield and is setting the goals up, as opposed to kicking them himself. So while his goals have dried up a bit, I imagine recruiters would be more than happy with that as it shows his versatility and midfield ability. Like all small forwards/midfielders, his endurance can still improve and consistency can be a problem at times. But that can be said about most U18 players.

33. Sydney - James Sicily (186cm, 77kg midfielder - Western Jets)

Now, this kid is underrated. Coming into the season, James Sicily probably wasn't a name that many had on their minds. He was a solid performer at TAC Cup level in 2012, but never really stood out and take a game by storm. Nobody could say that about him this year though. He has easily been Western Jet's best player, and was named in the TAC Cup Team of the Year. So what do I like about him? Firstly, at 186cm he is an excellent size for a midfielder/half forward. And he is a difficult player to match up on, because he is very strong in the air but can move well once the ball hits the ground. He can create mismatches when going up against smaller midfielders and taller defenders. I've seen some compare him to Nathan Fyfe, and he is similar in some regards but I wouldn't get to carried away with the similarities. Sicily doesn't have the same contested game, and is likely to remain more of an outside wing/flanker type. But that plays to his strengths anyway, he is a strong runner and knows where to run to. And in the TAC Cup this season, he has proven himself to a big time goal kicker - with 26 goals in his 16 games.

34. Fremantle - Cameron Conlon (198cm, 87kg forward - Northern Knights)

This draft would be completely different if it weren't for Cameron Conlon's injuries. He would have been a real shot at being a top 5 selection, but unfortunately he hasn't played a game in the TAC Cup this year and managed just 9 in 2012. He is currently on the comeback from a knee injury, and should be good to go by the Draft Combine. The fact that he has been nominated for the Combine, shows just how highly he is rated - there was talk of him being just as good as Matthew Kreuzer, a former Northern Knight himself. So where he gets drafted is really anyone's guess. I'm of the opinion that he will go earlier than many think, considering the other KPPs on offer his upside is too good to pass on. The fact that Conlon can ruck will appeal to many, but I would be happy if he stayed at full forward for the whole game - something he didn't get to do enough of in the TAC Cup last season. He is a very good contested mark, and is more than athletic enough to compete once the ball hits the ground. I think many teams will still have him as the #2 KPP on their lists.

35. Geelong - James Tsitas (180cm, 77kg midfielder - Geelong)

I almost feel bad for not rating James Tsitas higher than I do. He has done nothing but dominate the U18 scene for the past two years, and his performances alone would warrant a first round pick. And there is a good chance that he still goes inside the top 20. But he just strikes me as one of those blue collar players who always seem to slip into the late second/early third round, and in 5 years time will be considered a huge bargain. Tsitas is a big time ball winner, averaging 20 touches in the U18 Championships and closer to 30 in the TAC Cup. He hits the contests hard and wins his own ball, while also using his near elite endurance to run harder than everyone else going forward. He tackles hard and has a real presence on the field, a bottom four team looking to rebuild would have to consider him highly. He looks every part a 10 year player. But, he isn't the most damaging player. He tends to make good decisions with the ball, but doesn't have a penetrating kick on him and isn't a real impact player up forward either. He isn't flashy, but you could build a team around him.

36. Hawthorn - Patrick Cripps (188cm, 88kg midfielder - East Fremantle)

As much as I like tall midfielders, I'm not 100% convinced on Patrick Cripps. He has had a remarkable growth spurt over the last two years, one article said he grew up to 20cm in that time. And his body has grown with him too, which often isn't the case and you'll end up with lanky outside midfielders. But, Cripps has been able to develop into a true big bodied inside midfielder - very strong at the stoppages, his clearance work is right up there with the best and he moves through traffic really quite well. Which is all great, but I feel as though he lacks a bit of hurt factor. And similar players in the past have dropped, or gone undrafted. Don't think he'll suffer the same fate, but maybe he wont go quite as high as some think. He isn't particularly quick, and although his kicking is solid, sometimes he can get under the ball a bit and not lower his eyes. Not sold on his versatility either, particularly going forward. He has shown some good signs linking up on the outside, but not sure he is quite using his size to it's full potential outside of the stoppages.

Round 3

37. GWS - Alex Spina (181cm, 74kg midfielder - North Adelaide)

Another Croweater who is sneaking under the radar a bit, Spina has been one of the better underage players in the SANFL for a number of years now, always playing above his age but being named in the bests regardless of what level he plays. Unfortunately, he has been suffering from some injuries this year which has seen him play a little less than we all would have liked. But he has come back strongly in the SANFL Reserves and in the U18 Championships, generally playing as a high half forward. And like a Robbie Gray or Shaun Higgins, that's where I see him getting a game at the next level. From that position on a flank, he is able to work up the ground as well as back towards the goals and become a pretty dangerous goal sneak. And while he doesn't have the blistering pace that others may have, his game sense is a real highlight and he always positions himself in the right spot. Also has a strong defensive side to his game, and could easily play on the dangerous half backs of the competition.

38. Melbourne - Sam Bennett (189cm, 76kg defender - North Ballarat)

I saw a North Ballarat game right at the start of this year, and was instantly drawn to Sam Bennett. Since then, I've been keeping a quiet eye on him and his development throughout the season. He does have some more highly fancied teammates, but I was still a little surprised that literally nobody had even mentioned his name. Although admittedly, I only had him pegged as a State Combine invitee - not the National Combine invite that he ultimately received. But if you really look at what he offers, you can see why he received the invite. He is one of those athletic, almost rangy medium defender types who provides a lot of run off of half back. He has both solid speed and a good endurance base, and knows where to position himself. And for a relatively lightly framed player, he is a good mark. He does have a few knocks - consistency, not a big time ball winner and does need to improve his strength. I see him following a similar career path to Jasper Pittard from Port Adelaide, might take him a few years to really cement a spot but he'll get there.

39. St Kilda - Riley Knight (180cm, 73kg midfielder - Woodville)

Outside of the big midfield names of South Australia, they also have a group of 5-10 midfielders in that second tier. One of the interesting things for me was seeing which of these guys got the first opportunity in the Championships, and which of them stood up. And Riley Knight is certainly one who has stood up, both playing through the midfield and across half forward. And the half forward role that he has been given, is largely a new one for him having been quite an accomplished inside midfielder in the SANFL. While he isn't really a goal sneak type half forward, he has elite endurance and a strong defensive game. And as a midfielder he is real accumulator, with clean disposal. Again, he might not be the most damaging player, but he is a solid player and can perform in a number of roles. He is one player that I could see going earlier than maybe expected.

40. Western Bulldogs - Dwayne Wilson (178cm, 75kg midfielder - Sturt)

If there is one thing I like more than nearly anything else, it's a flashy player on the outside. And this year, you're not going to find many better than Wilson. I'd rate him just behind Josh Simpson from last year, and they are similar players. Both are genuine outside midfielders, as opposed to half forwards. And both can have a huge impact with minimal disposals. Wilson is just one of those guys who could be BOG with 15 touches - although having said that, he is actually quite a good ball winner. Wilson has been in really good ball winning form this year with multiple 25+ disposal games back home for Sturt, and it's not just players handing him the ball either. He has pace and is not afraid to use it, and has the foot skills to really make you stand up and take notice. He can fade in and out of games like a lot of players of his type, but that's just a matter of learning other ways to stay involved.

41. Gold Coast - Jake Pitt (192cm, 75kg utility - Glenelg)

Jake Pitt has been one of the biggest bolters this year in the South Australian side, not really on the radar that much at the start of the season but having now cemented his position in the best 22 throughout the Championships. I profiled him at the start of the tournament, and questioned where he would play - and as it turns out, he has played off half back as a third tall/medium defender. Interestingly, it's a position he hadn't actually played before. A midfielder in school football, he was largely playing on a wing and half forward for Glenelg in the SANFL. But he has really improved as a defender the more he plays, and I could see him developing into an Andrew Mackie type player. He works off his man really well, either to zone off and give his other defenders a chop out or to run and carry the ball on the rebound. For a player of his height, he has good speed and agility but most importantly has held his opponents reasonably quiet.

42. Brisbane - Tom Barrass (192cm, 81kg defender - Claremont)

Another one of those key position players who stepped up during the Championships, Tom Barrass held down the full back position for West Australia and really took charge of the back half. Directing the traffic and reading the play really is a strength of his as a defender, and it's one of the reasons I rate him higher than others. He isn't the most eye catching defender, but that's certainly not a bad thing. He spoils well, and seems to have a good understanding of when to zone off his opponent. And when he does have the ball in hand, he tends to make the right decisions. Barrass is basically the definition of a late bloomer - until a growth spurt, he wasn't on anyone's radar. Not a part of any underage squads, it was only this season that he was a late call up to the U18 program on the back of a solid start to the year in the WAFL. Could do a Tom Swift and choose to study, but give him a chance from the third round onwards and I think he has better than average odds of making it as a player.

43. Adelaide - Zachary Merrett (178cm, 73cm midfielder - Sandringham)

At this stage, Zachary is probably best known as being the younger brother of Essendon's Jackson Merrett. Although having said that, some have talked about him as a late first round pick so he is obviously getting some attention himself. I don't see it myself, and I don't really agree with people making the obvious player comparison - his brother. They're different players for me, and for starters Zac is almost 10cm shorter. So while he is a quick, outside midfielder with decent foot skills, that height immediately puts him into a different category. He does have a strong endurance base, which allows him to rack up the disposals and he does always seem to be involved in one way or another. But, he doesn't have a real impact in the forward half. And particularly as a shorter outside midfielder, kicking goals is something he really needs to add to his game. Also, considering his kicking is supposed to be a strength I thought he was quite disappointing by foot for Vic Country. I'll be interested to see what position he is developed into.

44. North Melbourne - Luke Reynolds (188cm, 86kg forward - Port Adelaide)

Playing as the third 'tall' forward for South Australia in the U18 Championships this year, Reynolds has so far gone largely under the radar with most of the attention going to his taller teammates. But he has been playing really well in his role, and if he is setting himself up nicely to play a similar role at the next level. Despite being under 190cm, he is very strong above his head and like Darcy Hourigan he is more than competitive in one on one contests. And with ball in hand, he'd be one of the best kicks in the draft - can kick it well over 50m, and hit his teammates lace out. So while I've talked him up as a forward, I could see him being developed as a Josh Hunt/Shannon Hurn style defender too. Back home in the SANFL, he has largely been playing reserves and has seen time in the midfield rotations. Not sure if that will continue at AFL level, because he isn't a big ball winner and despite his size isn't really your bulldozing inside midfielder type. But he'd still be a dangerous flanker who can play small or tall.

45. West Coast - Tom Vandeleur (191cm, 90kg defender - South Fremantle)

If you purely looked at his statistics, then you probably wouldn't be overly impressed - averaging only 14 disposals in the WAFL Colts, and in his two U18 Championships games he managed just the 8 touches. But, his season has been hampered by injury and he has always impressed when he has made it onto the ground. So much so, that he has made his league debut for South Fremantle. And in a draft when the depth in talls isn't the best, teams could be tempted to take a chance on someone like Vandeleur. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he went even earlier than the third round. There is just something there that suggests with a couple of years, he'll develop into a real player. Playing at CHB, first and foremost he reads the play very well. He seems to know where to position himself, and also where to run. As a rebounder, he moves well and has good foot skills. I could see him developing into a Michael Johnson type defender - playing as a second/third tall, and calmly moving the ball out of the back lines.

46. Carlton - Mitch Honeychurch (175cm, 65kg midfielder - Eastern Ranges)

If you're looking for a flashy player, then Mitch Honeychurch might not be your man. But if you're looking for a guy who will give his all in everything he does, then you'd have to be considering him from the second round onwards. Honeychurch overcame two separate broken bones at the start of the season, and with limited game time went on to be All Australian and MVP for Vic Metro at the U18 Championships. I like him a little bit to Lachie Neale from Fremantle, he is only a small player but he throws himself into the packs, chases hard and tackles strongly. Without much fanfare, he consistently wins 20+ disposals and can have a real impact on the clearances. What sets him apart from similar players though, is that he regularly kicks goals and can play as a stay at home small forward. Like I said, he isn't the most exciting player to watch but he'll do absolutely everything possible to ensure he has a long career.

47. Port Adelaide - George Hewett (185cm, 78kg forward - North Adelaide)

George Hewett is another name you may remember from the South Australian draft thread, he only played the two U18 games this year but was arguably BOG in each of them playing through the midfield - in this role, he is real ball magnet and can win his own ball in and around the stoppages. Since then he hasn't played a lot, but has had a couple of really good performances in the Championships playing as a half forward. He has good, not elite, speed and endurance and nice clean skills. He is one of those players who just seems to make things happen, so he is certainly one I'd be keeping an eye on in the mid to later rounds of the national draft. Has that versatility and size many teams will be looking for. Also, he has a very late December birthday so he is only draft eligible by a couple of days, which I like to think means he is still has development to come.

48. Essendon - Toby Nankervis (199cm, 100kg ruckman - North Launceston)

In a draft relatively weak in terms of top level ruckmen, someone really need to step up during the U18 Championships. And that player was the 19 year old Toby Nankervis from Tasmania. Last year, he was invited to the Draft Combine as more of a KPP/ruckman standing at 197cm. But, he has grown an extra couple of centimetres and has also changed his body shape and put on more muscle too. So, there would no longer be any question marks over his size at the next level. And don't discount just how important that is for a player of his type. In the Championships this year, he absolutely dominated games - although often against smaller opposition. He consistently won the hitouts, won the ball around the ground and had an impact up forward. The fact that he kicked some goals was a big plus, as I have some doubts over his ability to hold up as the #1 ruckman for a side. I feel he projects best as a backup ruckman, and obviously to do that you need to be able to play as a KPP too. In terms of similar players, his ceiling would be a Roughead type mobile ruckman (not as a forward) otherwise I see no reason he couldn't be a handy role player like Kepler Bradley.

49. Collingwood - Malcolm Karpany (175cm, 71kg forward - Woodville)

Karpany has had a really interesting year this season. The small indigenous forward/midfielder bypassed the Reserves, going straight from the U18s to the League side on the back of a couple of BOG performances. He then missed a month with an ankle injury in the lead up to the Championships, but has come back strongly with a couple of really good performances. Against NSW he kicked 3 goals and set up a number of others, while his defensive side was on show against Metro as he made it hard work for the defenders to move it outside of the defensive fifty. He has genuine leg speed, and as a midfielder he uses that really well to attack and get forward of the ball. I imagine he'll test quite well in the sprints, and particularly the agility run. Things wont come so easy at the next level, he'll probably find he can't just outrun everyone and with defensive zones coming into play it wont be a simple matter of running into the open space. But, he has clean skills and he likes to tackle, so I think he could be one of the lesser names who finds himself getting picked up in the national draft.

50. Richmond - Darcy Cameron (203cm, 98kg ruckman - Claremont)

Just in case armchair scouting wasn't already hard enough, clubs have seemingly changed their tune completely when it comes to ruckmen. In the last couple of years, it seems as though teams have shied away from drafting developing rucks early instead preferring to take them as rookies. We saw one of the most promising rucks in recent years last season, slip to the end of the first round. So where does that leave Darcy Cameron? I have no idea. Personally, I rate him as the #1 ruck in the draft and by quite some way too. He has been having a huge impact leading the ruck back home for Claremont, and what sets him apart from others is that he is just as good around the ground. He is a very athletic young ruckman running through the midfield, who can also go forward and take a strong grab. I think he plays a little like Zac Clarke, although slightly more advanced in terms of ruckwork at the same age. I've heard some people suggest he could play as a forward, but I wouldn't expect anything more than him resting up forward. He would have been a first round pick a few years ago, not so sure how teams will rate him now though.

51. Sydney - Jake Kolodjashnij (192cm, 88kg defender - Launceston)

I really like Jake Kolodjashnij, I don't have him all that far below his brother to be honest. It wouldn't surprise me if teams started looking at him come the second/third round. During the U18 Championships, he was given the task of playing at CHB and lining up on the opposition's best players. At first, I questioned just how well he would play. Before this, he had largely been playing as a third tall defender and more on the medium tall forwards. But, he performed really well and seemed to step up to the level of his opponent rather than shrink faced with the extra responsibility. Based on what he has shown to this point, he'd have to be considered one of the better pure defensive players in the draft. While back in Tasmania, he has also been given the chance to play a more attacking role off of half back - and he has good pace, and very good foot skills. At AFL level, I think he does project more as a third tall defender. But I think he has the attributes required to play on the dangerous medium forwards like Stevie Johnson or Lindsay Thomas.

52. Fremantle - Alex Spencer (193cm, 83kg defender - Sandringham)

Just quietly, Alex Spencer has had a very good season. Not one who has gained a lot of attention this year, but he has set himself up as one of the best key defenders in the draft. He played every game for Vic Metro in the U18 Championships, played well at TAC Cup level and received a Draft Combine invite. For Vic Metro, he was their starting full back and typically got the big jobs each ewek - and not only did he do reasonably well, he still managed to get involved in some attacking plays too. And that's the type of defender Spencer is - he'll look to peel off his opponent, help out his teammates in the air and rebound. He is a strong mark on the lead and when zoning off his man, but I still think there is room to improve his contested marking. Also showed this year that he can go forward, twice kicking bags of 3 goals in the TAC Cup. Not sure he ever becomes a #1 KPD at AFL level, but I like him as a fairly unassuming second tall.

53. Geelong - Fraser Fort (196cm, 84kg defender - Geelong)

Come draft day, Fraser Fort will be one of the players I'm most interested in. I have some doubts over his game at the next level, but he offers something different. His height alone could see him go earlier than expected, or he could slip through to the rookie draft. Firstly, there aren't a lot of KPPs in this draft who are as tall as him - and he is a KPP, not a part time ruckman. Fort spent last year playing as a key defender, started 2013 up forward and once again moved down back to finish the season. As a forward, he leads and marks well but is not a good shot on goal - his accuracy was less than 50% in front of goal. As a defender, he is stronger than his 84kg would suggest and competes well in both the air and on the ground. During the U18 Championships, he played as the #2 tall defender alongside Darcy Gardiner. And that's where I see him continuing his career, taking the second forward tall or resting ruckman. The problem is that typically in the AFL, they'd want that second tall to be able to work off his man, and ultimately I could see Fort struggling to really nail down a position.

54. Hawthorn - Zak Jones (181cm, 74kg midfielder - Dandenong)

Brother of Melbourne player Nathan, Zak Jones has proven himself to be more than just the younger brother this season. He has put in a very consistent and impressive year of his own. He shares some similiarities with his brother - he has that same attack on the ball, is also a strong clearance player and has very nice skills. In the U18 Championships, he showed himself to be one of Vic Country's best contested players, he didn't really have any down games. I'm actually not really sure why I don't rate him higher, perhaps it's because I think he projects best as a medium defender as opposed to midfielder. But he shows all the signs of being a very good defender, he rebounds well and that's where his foot skills are important. But, the best part is probably that he plays a lot bigger than his 181cm. He is strong in the air, so can play defensive roles on players taller than him. I could easily see him getting picked up well inside the second round.

Round 4

55. GWS - Dallas Willsmore (190cm, 81kg utility - North Ballarat)

Over the last couple of seasons, we've seen a few forwards around the 190cm mark who dominate at U18 level but inevitably get overlooked as they're considered 'too short' to play that same role at the next level. And unfortunately for Dallas Willsmore, he is being unfairly grouped in together with these players. Willsmore isn't too short for a KPP, he is an excellent height for a utility who can play a number of roles. For starters, he doesn't actually play as a genuine KPP - despite what people keep saying. Due to his strong marking, he does line up at full forward at times but his best games this season have been up the ground. He did miss the start of the season through injury, and wasn't at his best for Vic Country in the U18 Championships - he had an impact on the scoreboard, but only showed a glimpse of what he can do. His last month in the TAC Cup however was excellent, finishing with a couple of 20+ disposal games when he pushed further up the ground. He has a strong fitness base with good foot skills, and with his height and aerial ability, I'd be interested in seeing him play down back.

56. Melbourne - Tom Cutler (190cm, 86kg defender - Oakleigh)

Playing as a 17 year old in the TAC Cup last season, Tom Cutler was excellent. I saw him play live a couple of times, and I remember keep having to refer to the footy record to make sure he was an underaged kid. Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, he has only played the one game for Oakleigh this season - he was away with the AFL/AIS group on the tour of Europe, he played for Vic Metro in the U18 Championships and he has been playing school football too. So while it's a shame he wasn't able to play more in the TAC Cup, it wont hurt his chances of being drafted much at all. He reminds me a bit of players like Andrew Mackie and Sam Fisher. He can play taller if required and fill in as that second or third tall forward, but it's the combination of that height and his rebounding abilities that is his real strength. Like those two players, he isn't particularly quick - he does however read the play very well, and uses his smarts to work his way out of defence. Cutler might not be a big ball winner, but he is a solid and smart defender who can also push forward.

57. St Kilda - Max King (200cm, 89kg forward - NSW/Murray)

Easily my favourite of the New South Welshmen, and one of my favourite talls in the whole draft really. I've been talking him up for some time, heading back to before the U18 Championships this year. He'll take a bit of time as he needs some time in the gym, but I think he could be a very good player at the next level. He is a member of the GWS Academy, one article states he can be prelisted and potentially on-traded prior to the draft - whatever happens, I can't see GWS letting him go straight into the draft. King missed a few weeks at the start of the season with injury, but performed strongly for the Bushrangers in the TAC Cup upon his return. He also had a very impressive U18 Championships for NSW, and I'm sure he opened quite a few eyes playing at full forward and rotating through as the #2 ruck - in his 5 games, King kicked 11 goals. He is a strong mark, and really takes the ball at its highest point. And despite being reasonably skinny, he uses his body well and doesn't get pushed around - which helps the crumbers at his feet, as well as the midfielders when he rucks. For such a tall guy, he is a surprisingly good kick and is still willing to get down and dirty when the ball hits the ground. I'm not sure why more people aren't on board to be honest. Athletic 200cm forward/rucks don't grow on trees, and King has a lot of potential. If he weren't part of the GWS Academy, I could see him going as high as the second round.

58. Western Bulldogs - Samuel Garstone (196cm, 83kg forward - Perth)

Considering West Australia were a bit thin when it came to their key position stocks, I was a little surprised that Sam Garstone didn't get selected in the U18 squad. He was an AIS Academy member as a 16 year old, and featured in the U18 Championships last year as an underaged player. Perhaps it was injury that robbed him of selection - he did unfortunately miss half of this season with what I believe was a fractured collarbone. I think he could be quite a good smokey, for anyone looking for that KPP in the later rounds. In limited matches this season, he has managed two 5 goal hauls. He offers a really good target up forward, nice and tall player who has a good set of hands on him. Perhaps not the greatest once the ball hits the ground, but he has shown hints of gradual improvement. He has also played down back, and given a chop out in the ruck too. Hasn't quite come on as many would have been hoping for in the last 18 months, but there is enough to work with and that's the main thing when selecting a KPP from the third round onwards.

59. Gold Coast - Tom Hodgson (185cm, 78kg defender - East Perth)

At the start of the season, I didn't have Tom Hodgson on my radar. I'd seen a bit of him in the WAFL last year, and I thought that one day he might become a decent state league player but even that wasn't a guarantee. Yet he has steadily improved as the season has gone on and now I wouldn't be surprised if he found himself on a senior list next year. Hodgson plays as a small/medium defender, he is a very determined player and sticks to his opponents all day. In the U18 Championships, he pushed further up the field and did a defensive role on James Aish and he did it reasonably well too. Hodgson isn't a big ball winner, typically only gets around the 15 touches a game but he is impressive when given the chance to rebound - I'd rate him as one of the better kicks out of WA this year. For a team looking to add a hard nosed defender, I could see Hodgson being a bit of a smokey in this draft.

60. Brisbane - Cain Tickner (194cm, 91kg utility - Aspley)
61. Adelaide - Orazio Fantasia (176cm, 64kg forward - Norwood)

There are quite a few small forwards on offer in this draft, and not only that but there are a good handful from just South Australia alone. The toughest thing for these players this season wasn't to play well, it was to stand out from the crowd. And Orazio Fantasia did just that in the U18 Championships this year, despite not being on everyone's radar coming into the season. He didn't play in the first round match, but kicked 7 goals in the remaining four games and was arguably the best small forward in the tournament - although the All Australian selectors decided to go with midfielders in the forward pockets. Fantasia has also made his senior SANFL debut this year, spending the rest of his time in the Reserves. He isn't ever going to win much more than 15 disposals, but he is a real livewire up forward and always seems to have a hand in scoring plays. Unselfish player with good speed, he is a genuine crumbing forward with real x-factor. And while he might not be quite as annoying, he reminds me a little of Hayden Ballantyne.

62. North Melbourne - Will Maginness (182cm, 73kg midfielder - Oakleigh)
63. West Coast - Dylan Loo (182cm, 75kg midfielder - Perth)

Been a very eventful year for Dylan Loo, and that was before he even stepped foot on the ground. Named as part of the AFL/AIS Academy, Loo was considered one of the most talented players in the whole group. However, before the season started he quit the Academy, turned his back on the WAFL and chose to play amateur football. But, a change of heart has seen him return to the Perth Colts side in the WAFL and he has been playing reasonably well. Will he get drafted? Probably not, it would be a big risk and would likely only come in the rookie draft. Plus, it would be a slap in the face to players who have given it their all for so long. But, the kid has some serious talent. His versatility and ability to play both tall and small, has seen him be compared to the likes of both Adam Goodes and Andrew Krakouer. I would liken him to a faster Michael Walters, he is an absolute elite user of the ball and has exceptional vision. He has also shown very promising signs as a contested ball winner, as well as being a damaging half forward/outside midfielder. I imagine teams will give him another year in the WAFL, to see how he returns before seriously considering him.

64. Carlton - Mitch Thorp (194cm, 89kg forward - South Launceston)
65. Port Adelaide - Josh Glenn (179cm, 77kg defender - Central Districts)

Do people remember Paul Marschall? Last year, was touted as a National Draft selection and arguably the most promising of the 19/20 year olds in the SANFL. But he said no to the AFL and has since quit even the SANFL. Well, Josh Glenn is the opposite. Last year, he quit the SANFL after playing a handful of games in the U18s and instead played Division 4 football. But a change of heart has seen him want to make the most out of his footballing, and he made a return to the SANFL and Central Districts. Not only is he back, but he has played every game in the league side and has been one of the better players. Glenn is a hard at defender, who can also play further up the field. He shuts down his man, rebounds well and in the last few games has shown he can have a real impact on the scoreboard. Strong mark and has no problems with running into the packs. Is also a long and accurate kick. The only question is whether he will nominate for the draft, and quite a few AFL teams are doing their best to make sure he does.

66. Essendon - Darcy Lang (181cm, 75kg midfielder - Geelong)
67. Collingwood - Nicholas Bourke (187cm, 76kg utility - Geelong)
68. Richmond - Luke Buckby (192cm, 85kg defender - Central Districts)

Some people may remember me mentioning Buckby's name quite a bit earlier in the season. He was named in the SANFL U18 Academy, and in the U18 trial match he was easily BOG even with the bigger names playing. He played largely off half back with stints through the midfield, and racked up 22 touches with 10 marks. Brenton Phillips had a major role slated for him at the U18 Championships, with plans on developing him into a 192cm midfielder. But, he hasn't played a game since that match after suffering from stress fractures in his foot. Given that, you'd think he'd be overlooked and will try again as a 19 year old. But, there was enough interest to get him an invite to the State Combine and he could prove to be a smart buy later on in the draft. Had he not been injured this year, then I'm sure he'd have been off the board by the end of the second round in most draft.

69. Sydney - Zac Bates (176cm, 72kg forward - West Adelaide)

Another of the small indigenous forwards from South Australia, Bates has had a good season in the SANFL and has managed some games throughout the Championships. And while he hasn't been quite as impressive as some of his teammates, he has quite a few attributes that may see him place higher than them in the long run. For starters, Bates is arguably more of an outside midfielder than a stay at home crumbing forward. He has really good speed, and has that ability to duck and weave throughout traffic. Kicking the ball inside 50 is also a strength of his. He does remind me a bit of the Geelong boys, like Motlop and Stokes. He is quite short obviously, and realistically he may present more as a rookie draft prospect. But he does have that x-factor that teams may value in the later rounds of the national draft. And just as little somewhat interesting fact, he was named MVP in the Indigenous tour of Tonga a couple of years ago.

70. Fremantle - Jared Jansen (188cm, 91kg midfielder - East Fremantle)
71. Geelong - Sean Lemmens (184cm, 76kg defender - Port Adelaide)

Of all the 19 year olds playing in the Championships this season, Lemmens would be competing with Nankervis as the most improved. Last year, he wasn't named in the U18 squad and didn't receive even a state screening invite. He did get a tryout with Port Adelaide prior to the rookie draft, but that's it. So he really has come from nowhere, considering he has played in every game for South Australia this year. Last season, he tended to play more across half forward and he was fine without ever standing out. But this year, he has moved to the back line and has been excellent - consistently being named in the better players, even winning 24 touches against Vic Country. Lemmens is reading the ball really well coming into the defensive 50, and is heavily involved in linking up out of the back line. I think he'll get his chance in the draft this season, and has some good football blood lines - including having Geelong's Allen Christensen as a cousin.

72. Hawthorn - Alex Pearce (197cm, 82kg utility - Devonport)

I'm a firm believer in taking a chance with late round draft picks, particularly when it comes to key position players. Recent history suggests that teams prefer to wait until the rookie draft, but if you see a player you like, why risk it and wait? And when it comes to KPPs, it's a matter of looking at their individual attributes and assessing their potential. Definitely not an exact science, and all 18 teams will likely have different opinions. And this is where Alex Pearce fits in for me. He has enough AFL attributes to warrant selection, despite never truly dominating performances in game. He is definitely a project and a long one at that, only last year was playing in the U16s as an overaged player. But he reminds me of Marco Paparone, who ended up as a second round selection last season, and Justin Westhoff who is having a great season as a utility. Despite being 197cm, he isn't a true KPP. He is more an oversized flanker, capable of playing in pretty much any position - midfield, wing and at either end of the ground. He'll take a good few years before his body is ready to play as a genuine tall, but until then you'd draft him purely on the back of his height and athleticism.

Round 5

73. GWS - Peter Steffe (205cm, 98kg ruckman - South Adelaide)

I certainly didn't predict how South Australia's ruck situation would play out this year at the Championships, I thought Peter Steffe would get a chance to play against the Division 2 sides but that he'd be overlooked in favour of a couple of other ruckmen against the Division 1 teams. But, Steffe has held onto his position as the #1 ruckman across the tournament. And that's something I couldn't be happier about, after highlighting him as one to watch heading into the season. As a pure tap ruckman, Steffe would arguably be the best in the draft. Last year, he had no real impact around the ground but still finished runner up in the South Adelaide B&F - that's how good his ruck work was. He still has some way to go, but this year he is getting involved in the play more and is kicking more goals too. So he is showing all the signs that you'd be looking for from a young developing ruckman.

74. Melbourne - Nick Amato (178cm, 77kg midfielder - North Adelaide)
75. St Kilda - Michael Wood (186cm, 75kg forward - Subiaco)
76. Western Bulldogs - Chris Cain (181cm, 83kg midfielder - Port Melbourne)
77. Gold Coast - Lewis Fitzgerald (190cm, 84kg utility - Oakleigh)
78. Brisbane - Isaac Conway (183cm, 85kg midfielder - Aspley)
79. Adelaide - Sam Gray (176cm, 75kg midfielder - Port Adelaide)
80. North Melbourne - Jason Cooke (183cm, 79kg midfielder - Calder Cannons)
81. West Coast - Scott Jones (203cm, 100kg ruckman - East Perth)

Last year, Scott Jones led the ruck for West Australia in the U18 Championships as a seventeen year old. For an underaged kid, he competed well but didn't quite have the impact that some of the other ruckmen had. This season, I imagine WA had big plans for Jones and Cameron in the ruck. However, injury quickly put an end to those plans - I believe Jones suffered a lower leg injury in Round 1 and he hasn't played a game since. Last I heard he was back doing running work, but was not quite ready for a competitive game. So any team who drafts Jones will be doing it on past performances and the potential that the big guy has shown. Maybe it's enough, maybe it's another Myles Bolger. But there is plenty to like, he has always dominated the hitouts, and once he returned from the Championships last year he really took his game to another level in the Colts. So I was expecting similar improvement from him this season too. And while he has never been a big possession winner, he is quite athletic for someone his size.

82. Carlton - Tom Langdon (188cm, 84kg utility - Sandringham)
83. Port Adelaide - Elliot Le Grice (192cm, 90kg defender - Sandringham)
84. Essendon - Erinn Wasley Black (187cm, 78kg utility - NT Thunder)
85. Collingwood - Jake Greiser (180cm, 88kg midfielder - Western Jets)
86. Richmond - Clayton McCartney (176cm, 70kg forward - Dandenong)
87. Sydney - Lloyd Perris (179cm, 75kg midfielder - St George)
88. Fremantle - Steven Edwards (182cm, 73kg defender - Claremont)
89. Geelong - Matthew Sully (195cm, 89kg defender - Geelong)
90. Hawthorn - Jordan Mangan (193cm, 86kg defender - Bendigo)

Henry Voight is the other KPF who has been part of the underaged scene in SA.

Do you know if he is a relation of Rex Voight?

Rex was a nuggety rover & later back pocket player for Glenelg, could find the pill, kick goals & was ultra tough.

Have you seen anything of Lloyd-Perris Chris? Where would you have him this early?

The first member of the swans academy, part of the level one AIS squad and took home the Cameron Ling medal earlier in the year ahead of Dunstan and Aish. Recovering from a knee reconstruction so hasn't played much.

It always looks like that so far out from the draft though. In terms of key forwards though, both Thomas Boyd and Cameron Conlon likely would have been picked ahead of Kristian Jaksch this year - so the top end talent is pretty good. Now it's just a matter of the others stepping up now that they are draft age.

So maybe some guys like Luke Reynolds or Dallas Willsmore will grow into true KPP height next year. Otherwise, there is a 194cm forward called Mitch Harvey in the SANFL. Luke Andruskiewicz would be around the 193cm, and can play at either end of the ground - played more down back this year, but has shown he can kick goals in the past. Henry Voight is the other KPF who has been part of the underaged scene in SA.

Staying in SA, Ryan Simister can play down back and I think he could be a key player in the U18 Championships next season. And Peter Steffe is one who interests me quite a bit. Don't have an actual height for him, but he played in the ruck for South Adelaide this year - am thinking he is more KPP height like Tim O'Brien though.

In terms of Victorian talls, there are enough going around. But most haven't had a chance to shine yet, what with them playing second fiddle to the 18 year olds this season. Metro will obviously have Boyd and Conlon as their focal points, Mark Orr is perhaps their next best KPP. While Bendigo players Jordan Mangan, Nathan Dyson and Ben Pollock should all be part of the Country squad - Mangan being the one I'm most interested in. James Taberner has only played one game in the TAC Cup, but is the brother of new Fremantle rookie Matthew, so might be one to watch.

Looking at the rucks, Jack Leslie is perhaps the ruckman to watch for from Victoria. Has slowly been developing, so hopefully he can step up another level. Maybe not an early pick though. Scott Jones has been the main underage ruck for WA in recent years, but he has a fair way to go. Sam Garstone is another KPP from WA to keep an eye on.

I might just be rambling now, but there is enough height out there. It's just a matter of which players will step up when it matters.

Never:p Seriously, you're dedication to providing info about the future young talent along with KM, is staggering and always appreciated.
Picking KPP talent for the AFL recruiters must be a nightmare at this stage as, apart from the top end talent, most don't show what they're capable of until their early 20's and the rucks even later.

Anyhow know how tall Darcy Cameron from Claremont is? he's a lot more versatile than Jones, but i have no idea on how big he actually is.

I'm having the same problem with a few guys. Wont really know exact heights for a few months until teams finalise their lists for the new year, which makes evaluating KPPs/ruckmen difficult - are they true ruckman height, KPP size or just third talls?

Have you seen anything of Lloyd-Perris Chris? Where would you have him this early?

The first member of the swans academy, part of the level one AIS squad and took home the Cameron Ling medal earlier in the year ahead of Dunstan and Aish. Recovering from a knee reconstruction so hasn't played much.

I haven't seen a great deal of him, what with the injuries that you mentioned. But as I wrote in the OP, I would have included Perris if it weren't for him already being aligned with the Swans - somewhere around the bottom of the 30. Perhaps a little on the short side, but has shown promise in a number of different roles. Just needs a full year with no injuries.

The draft is why I started reading and eventually began commenting and asking questions on BF. Therefore thank you for already highlighting some names already.

Chris25 you don't rate the Qld prospects this year, namely Conway and Tickner. Personally I rate Tickner as one of the better tall prospects behind Boyd, and Conway as a potential first round inside mid prospect. It will be interesting to see how they develop this year.

Chris25, can you tell me which players from Geelong Falcons that might get drafted/rookied/other prospects please?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chris25 you don't rate the Qld prospects this year, namely Conway and Tickner. Personally I rate Tickner as one of the better tall prospects behind Boyd, and Conway as a potential first round inside mid prospect. It will be interesting to see how they develop this year.

As I said in the OP, I would have considered slotting Tickner in late if he weren't part of the Lions Academy (or whatever they're calling it). Although having said that, at this time last year I rated Clay Cameron higher than what I rate Tickner now. Hopefully Tickner doesn't have any injury issues in his draft year, and can put up some storng performances. No doubt he is the key to Queensland's chances in Division 2.

Chris25, can you tell me which players from Geelong Falcons that might get drafted/rookied/other prospects please?

Apart from the two I listed (Bourke and Gardiner), Lewis Taylor and James Tsitas are the other two obvious ones. Fraser Fort and Aaron Christensen will be ones to watch. Jack Berry could be a tall to watch develop, apparently moves fairly well for someone his size.

Cheers Chris25, I appreciate your info on the Geelong Falcons as I barely get to see them after they play at under-15 V-Line Cup as I volunteer for the Geelong region, not Hampden in that championship.

Dunno about the second coming of jesus comments, where's the hype been for McDonald apart from what he's already done?

Odd.

Time to start looking at a few players? I always have a few favourites from South Australia each year, so I might start there. One player I really liked the look of last year as an underager was Malcolm Karpany. He is a 176cm indigenous half forward/midfielder, who will be named in the SANFL U18 Academy this year. These were his stats from the end of last season...

Round 23 - 17 disposals, 5 clearances, 8 I50s, 1 goal
Round 24 - 22 disposals, 5 I50s, 2 goals
Qualifying Final - 20 disposals, 3 clearances, 6 I50s
Preliminary Final - 22 disposals, 6 I50s
Grand Final - 23 disposals, 8 I50s

His performances during the finals was excellent, and he really caught the eye in the GF against some bigger bodies. Karpany definitely has the speed and skills that you'd be looking for in a small forward, it will be interesting to see how he goes pairing up with Dwayne Wilson for SA this year - could be part of a very dangerous forward setup. He is a little like Matthew Stokes from Geelong, in that he can play further up the ground and set up scoring shots for other players or do it himself closer to goal.

I'm not expecting him to be an early pick. He does remind me a bit of Matthew Rankine from a couple of years ago. He was overlooked, and despite a try out at Fremantle prior to the rookie draft, he just never got a shot. So Karpany will need to continue his development, hopefully he can get a little more time in the middle as well as averaging a goal a game.

So keep an eye on Malcolm Karpany for Woodville West Torrens this year. At the very least, watching him will be a bit of fun.

He's about 202cm.....an absolute jet. Such a smooth mover for someone his size.

He is 203 cm and Tundrawolf is correct Cameron is going to be a very good player, moves well and has good skills for a kid that tall.

The coaches at Claremont are pretty excited about his prospects and Cameron will be someone to watch with interest at the Championships. Expect Cameron to share the ruck duties at the Championship with East Perth ruckman Scott Jones who also satands 203 cm.

According to the WA State Academy manager Raff Guadagnino :-

" They are definitely the best ruckman the WAFL has produced ot an under - 18 level since Nic Nat "

Sounds promising for both kids .

One player I really liked the look of last year as an underager was Malcolm Karpany. He is a 176cm indigenous half forward/midfielder, who will be named in the SANFL U18 Academy this year.

Is he related to a former Sturt player, or have I got the names mixed up?

25. Essendon - Erin Wasley-Black (188cm defender - Northern Territory)

Obviously I can't not have a kid from the Northern Territory in my draft, and Wasley-Black would appear to be their best prospect at the moment. He also has size on his side, unlike many of his talented teammates. Is that utility type who can play a number of positions, but I don't think he is too dissimilar to Jackson Thurlow, playing that half back role.

This guy played really well in just his second NTFL game last weekend. Probably Waratah's best player.

Chris

News is that Karl Merson (Giants Academy/Reserves and East Coast Eagles) has moved from Sydney to WA and playing for Perth Demons in 2013.
Has been training the house down at pre season and impressed coaching staff as well as state selectors with his leadership and footy skills.
Played in the WA 18s State Academy talent day a couple of weeks ago where most of the AFL recruiters were at and was a step above most of the boys out there.
Big body and engine, will be one to look out for this year.

Speaking of indigenous forwards Chris the one who's caught my eye is Jerry Wilson from Wanderers. He's a bit short but his crumbing is terrific. Seen much of him?

I've seen a bit of him. I still think David Kruse and to a lesser extent Mitch Taylor should have been given a chance on a rookie list, so I try to watch the Wanderers when I can. From what I've seen, he does some things really well (as you said, his crumbing) but I'm not sure he has enough strings to his bow. He is only short, and there are so many good small forwards playing up in the NT who never get a chance. And while that is changing, I'm not sure he is head and shoulders above the rest. And it's really only the top talents from the NT who get a chance, or those who are boarding/playing elsewhere.

Wasley-Black is certainly looking like that top player though. I just hope he gets to play his natural game during the Championships, as opposed to having ruck because he is one of the few players close to that 190cm mark.

Chris

News is that Karl Merson (Giants Academy/Reserves and East Coast Eagles) has moved from Sydney to WA and playing for Perth Demons in 2013.
Has been training the house down at pre season and impressed coaching staff as well as state selectors with his leadership and footy skills.
Played in the WA 18s State Academy talent day a couple of weeks ago where most of the AFL recruiters were at and was a step above most of the boys out there.
Big body and engine, will be one to look out for this year.

That's certainly good to hear. I liked what I saw of Merson before he went to NSW, and he showed his natural talent was still there last year. He just wasn't as consistent as he would have liked. I was still throwing him up as a potential rookie pick though. Don't think he is too unlike Max Duffy who was overlooked in his draft year.

He is 203 cm and Tundrawolf is correct Cameron is going to be a very good player, moves well and has good skills for a kid that tall.

The coaches at Claremont are pretty excited about his prospects and Cameron will be someone to watch with interest at the Championships. Expect Cameron to share the ruck duties at the Championship with East Perth ruckman Scott Jones who also satands 203 cm.

According to the WA State Academy manager Raff Guadagnino :-

" They are definitely the best ruckman the WAFL has produced ot an under - 18 level since Nic Nat "

Sounds promising for both kids .

Scott Jones looks a long, long way from being remotely draftable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back