Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, I'll have a go at that -

"Vanilla", a sweet fragrance/essence usually included in cooking to give a sweetened scented flavour. Most commonly known as the primary flavour for vanilla icecream where the tongue rolls up and around the scoop of vanilla icecream on top of a cone. "Vanilla" - try some, you'll come back for more.
So you don't mind I call you Vanilla Roars ?

Are you Mrs. Brayshaw?

The general consensus from a fair few was that there were five outstanding mids in this draft that were seen to have qualities that were a step above. Brayshaw until very recently wasn't included in this by most. I asked Chris a question. I wasn't insulting Brayshaw personally so seriously feel free to chill out.

When the recruiting manager of the Lions came out a couple of weeks ago and frankly said they were considering several options, listed the usual suspects and “tacked on” Brayshaw’s name, almost as an afterthought, people started taking notice.

I understand how some can consider him as a bit vanilla. Same way McGrath was this time last year (save for the 2017 Rising Star possessing a fraction more pace).

I recall many Essendon supporters scratching their head wondering why they’d use pick #1 on a 179cm kid who could sure run fast but doesn’t really kick long, jump high, take speccies or kick freak goals......(where’s the fun in that?).

Don’t think anyone is doubting their choice now are they?

Character and maturity are factors most draft pundits know zero about. Brisbane needs players who have great character and can grow from leaders at their level into leaders at AFL level. Like McGrath, Brayshaw is an old head on young shoulders.....

Are you Mrs. Brayshaw?

The general consensus from a fair few was that there were five outstanding mids in this draft that were seen to have qualities that were a step above. Brayshaw until very recently wasn't included in this by most. I asked Chris a question. I wasn't insulting Brayshaw personally so seriously feel free to chill out.

You personally made a statement that you think Brayshaw is Vanilla, so I am assuming it is based on vision.
So many people use the term vanilla to describe players, I was just attempting to understand what the a vanilla midfielder looks like. Are they just average across the board? Can you be vanilla and have elite speed, endurance and potentially one of the best kicks in the draft?

Who are the five outstanding mids?
Where is the general consensus?

The team with pick 1 in the draft named Brayshaw as one of their considerations for pick 1.

I am not Mrs Brayshaw, I just for some reason picked you to explain to me why Brayshaw gets a random tag like Vanilla.

First round of my phantom draft is up on the first page here. The second and third rounds are coming, it just takes a surprisingly long time to write it all up.
Great read - quick question...
What dont you like about dow?
Quite a margin with your ranking of #12 vs going to bris at #1

You personally made a statement that you think Brayshaw is Vanilla, so I am assuming it is based on vision.
So many people use the term vanilla to describe players, I was just attempting to understand what the a vanilla midfielder looks like. Are they just average across the board? Can you be vanilla and have elite speed, endurance and potentially one of the best kicks in the draft?

Who are the five outstanding mids?
Where is the general consensus?

The team with pick 1 in the draft named Brayshaw as one of their considerations for pick 1.

I am not Mrs Brayshaw, I just for some reason picked you to explain to me why Brayshaw gets a random tag like Vanilla.

I personally made a statement? What does that even mean?

Firstly, except for about 5 for 6 (at a guess) that post on this board who are actually the real deal the rest of us are just plebs. So are you are pleb or are you just waiting for ESPN to do your reference check before you start your job?

Secondly, I would say that I used the term vanilla to mean someone who you would rank 6 or 7 out of 10 for most skills/abilities. They wouldn't have the star factor, a solid player but not outstanding in any one thing. Not a game breaker. From my extensive research (youtube and bigfooty) that was my 'expert' assessment of Brayshaw as a possibility. To be clear, no one knows exactly how these guys will develop. No one.

If the guy ends up as an 8 or 9 out of 10 in most or the majority of skills then he certainly wouldn't be vanilla.

If you don't like the term or my opinion, well I really couldn't give a stuff.

Great read - quick question...
What dont you like about dow?
Quite a margin with your ranking of #12 vs going to bris at #1

I've been asked that a few times over the last couple of weeks. I did say the other day that if I were to update my rankings, then I'd have him around 7 or 8 now. And despite being at #12, I do still think of him as a top 3 midfielder. The problem with grouping everyone together into a big board, is that you're not really comparing like to like.

I don't really have many knocks on Dow. And I'd be surprised if he didn't have a long career. I've just found him to be not as eye catching as others.

Phantom Draft

3. Carlton - Cameron Rayner (187cm, 88kg from Western Jets)
Choice of three here for Carlton, with Davies-Uniacke and Brayshaw both options. I'd be more inclined to go a genuine midfielder here, and hope for Fogarty at #10. But Rayner has the elite talent, and Carlton picked up a couple of average plug and play midfielders in trade week to allow this pick.

13. GWS - Matthew Kennedy* (187cm, 84kg midfielder from NSW/Collingullie)

Time for another bid, this time with Richmond forcing the Giants to cough up some picks to move back into the first round. GWS don't really need both Hopper and Kennedy, they are both reasonably similar players and they already have a talented midfield. But hey, talent is talent. Kennedy is probably my favourite midfielder in the draft, he reminds me a bit of Barlow in that he isn't the most gifted or noticeable player but he is always one of the best on the ground.

Hey Chris. What happened with Kennedy in his two years at GWS for him to slip from being your favourite mid in the 2015 draft, to become just an average, "plug-and-play" player?

Hey Chris. What happened with Kennedy in his two years at GWS for him to slip from being your favourite mid in the 2015 draft, to become just an average, "plug-and-play" player?

I'm a little disappointed it took so long for Carlton fans to question that little comment. :p

I do actually like Matthew Kennedy still, much more than Darcy Lang. But like I said back in 2015, he isn't particularly gifted or noticeable. Works hard and picks up his 20 touches, but has limited impact particularly on offense. Played second fiddle to some talented young midfielders at GWS, he did what was asked of him though so I can cut him a little slack. I look forward to him hopefully getting a more meaningful role at Carlton.

I'm a little disappointed it took so long for Carlton fans to question that little comment. :p

I do actually like Matthew Kennedy still, much more than Darcy Lang. But like I said back in 2015, he isn't particularly gifted or noticeable. Works hard and picks up his 20 touches, but has limited impact particularly on offense. Played second fiddle to some talented young midfielders at GWS, he did what was asked of him though so I can cut him a little slack. I look forward to him hopefully getting a more meaningful role at Carlton.

I understand liking someone early, just to see he doesn't quite fit into an AFL system.
Probably hard to gauge with someone like Kennedy though, given the circumstances you've already raised, as he and Hopper found it tough playing roles they weren't particularly accustomed to. The rest is just a 'wait and see' , I guess.

Hi Chris
If the Baggers we're to have a Rayner and Fogarty haul I'd be estatic it would as good as it gets what an amazing haul that would be then maybe a tall at pick 30.
I'd sleep a very happy Bagger come draft night should it all come to fruition.
Great read .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a game breaker. From my extensive research (youtube and bigfooty) that was my 'expert' assessment of Brayshaw as a possibility.

It’s a shame your extensive research didn’t extend to watching the Preliminary Final at Simonds Stadium where the Dragons wouldn’t have made the TAC Grand Final but for one particular player - Andrew Brayshaw. He broke the game open in the clearest fashion. At least that was the opinion of the opposition coaching staff.

It’s a shame your extensive research didn’t extend to watching the Preliminary Final at Simonds Stadium where the Dragons wouldn’t have made the TAC Grand Final but for one particular player - Andrew Brayshaw. He broke the game open in the clearest fashion. At least that was the opinion of the opposition coaching staff.

Do you think Brayshaw can become one of the best 10-15 mids in the AFL?

So theres a knowledge requirement to post in big footy threads now? That should thin out the numbers hey?

Do you think Brayshaw can become one of the best 10-15 mids in the AFL?

That is a very high bar to set when drafting a player.

Fyfe, Dangerfield, Selwood, Pendlebury, Sloane, Martin, Kelly, Kennedy, Shiel, Beams, Oliver....

You look at that list and plenty of those players are being picked up outside of the top 5 players in the draft.
I think with the first few picks, you just don't want to pick up the Toumpas styled players, those really kill you with early picks.

I was having a conversation with another draft watcher and he used Gibbs as a semi negative term for a player.
I don't think player x will be an elite player, maybe only to Gibbs levels.
I thought to myself, if I could draft a player that turned out to be as good as Gibbs, I would be all over it.

When drafting I think most clubs in the first round would aim and hope for a 100+ AFL game player, moving towards 200 games at AFL level.

Often those with picks in the top 3 pick a player that has the highest potential to not fail and have shown across the board plenty of AFL attributes with very few flaws. Sometimes the best player in the draft is the one with plenty of risk associated to them, for every player that success with those flaws, you may have 5 that fail badly.

LemmingMaster and HedgeFund have you guys actually read raffrox posts and original. You guys got really offended for no real reason at all. I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic when he said his "extensive research" and his initial question was simply asking for help understanding what people see in those two players. In my personnel "extensive research" (again youtube and bigfooty) I struggle to understand why Cerra is rated so highly but I love the look of Brayshaw who is clean at his feet, has a nice burst out of stoppage, runs both ways and offers something defensively and has a terrific handball (his kicking i would rate above average since it lacks penetration but hits targets).

So theres a knowledge requirement to post in big footy threads now? That should thin out the numbers hey?

I’m just saying he was serving up the Connoiseur Belgian Chocolate with a dash of rum ‘n raisin in the last quarter.

It’s a shame you didn’t see it. Otherwise your opinion may be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back