Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Chris25 mate, just wondering why you don't rate Ainsworth as a long term answer mate. Think he is a star and too me has traits of Priddis with great clearance and disposal work as well as decision making and evasiveness from the midfield. Is in my top 10 personal favourites.

i really like this, as good as it could get; "dream draft would be Davies-Uniacke, Stephenson and Shipley" (and Dixon).

Funny enough Chris, in a different way we achieved the same end and I'm very happy with Brayshaw, Cerra, Dixon, Crowden and North (firstly) with Crowden similar to Shipley. We've got the midfield grunt and Meeks cp as a big man first class. Were you okay with the selections too? Do you think we may go for Kreuger in the rookie?

North Melbourne

Obviously this draft is all about Davies-Uniacke, he'll be a good fit and will probably finish the 2018 season as their best midfielder. He's a very good inside midfielder, but his burst is what sets him apart from the other North mids. Otherwise, I don't mind the Will Walker selection. I do think it was early, but he wouldn't have been there at 62 and fits their needs. Taller versatile midfielder, offers some outside run. Maybe a Nathan Murphy would have been a better value pick, but it's not bad by any means. While I thought Xerri would make a good rookie pick, long term project but there's something there to work with.

Interested in your thoughts on Kyron Hayden. Noticed he wasnt in your rankings what are your knocks on him?

Hey Chris25 mate, just wondering why you don't rate Ainsworth as a long term answer mate. Think he is a star and too me has traits of Priddis with great clearance and disposal work as well as decision making and evasiveness from the midfield. Is in my top 10 personal favourites.

I just don't really see him as leading a midfield. I don't see any reason why he couldn't have a long career, and play as a rotational midfielder. His strengths are in ball winning and pure number of possessions, but his rate of impact with those touches is still a bit low for me. He reminds me of someone like a Jack Redden, a solid player and will get his 20 or so touches a game. But not someone you build around.

Given where West Coast picked him, you probably can't ask for more than that. But with big questions over your midfield, taking two KPPs and a stay at home small forward is brave. But full credit to them for sticking to their draft board.

Funny enough Chris, in a different way we achieved the same end and I'm very happy with Brayshaw, Cerra, Dixon, Crowden and North (firstly) with Crowden similar to Shipley. We've got the midfield grunt and Meeks cp as a big man first class. Were you okay with the selections too? Do you think we may go for Kreuger in the rookie?

I was happy with the picks. I knew full well we weren't picking Stephenson, and Shipley was never going to escape GWS. So my 'dream' was always going to just be a dream. But I've been a big fan of Dixon, Crowden and Meek for most of the season. Dixon was my #2 KPF behind Oscar Allen, and Meek my #2 ruck behind Sam Hayes. And where we picked him, North was probably the best midfielder on the board and fills a need of pure ball winners. Given we picked late, I think we did about as well as possible.

I can't imagine we pick Nathan Kreuger. We're already shaping up as having a tall Peel side, might already be tough to fit them all in. Even though he is probably more a third or fourth tall at the moment. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed with him, but we'll see. He's probably 50/50 to be rookie listed, odds of us doing it are even less.

I was happy with the picks. I knew full well we weren't picking Stephenson, and Shipley was never going to escape GWS. So my 'dream' was always going to just be a dream. But I've been a big fan of Dixon, Crowden and Meek for most of the season. Dixon was my #2 KPF behind Oscar Allen, and Meek my #2 ruck behind Sam Hayes. And where we picked him, North was probably the best midfielder on the board and fills a need of pure ball winners. Given we picked late, I think we did about as well as possible.

I can't imagine we pick Nathan Kreuger. We're already shaping up as having a tall Peel side, might already be tough to fit them all in. Even though he is probably more a third or fourth tall at the moment. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed with him, but we'll see. He's probably 50/50 to be rookie listed, odds of us doing it are even less.

Yes i can confirm you thought highly of Dixon Crowden and Meeks way back.....Who would be your two tips for our Rookie selection then ...more mids/small forwards??

Interested in your thoughts on Kyron Hayden. Noticed he wasnt in your rankings what are your knocks on him?

Considering where they drafted him, I think Hayden was a pretty good selection. I imagine North will be hoping he develops into a similar player to Davies-Uniacke, being that powerful inside midfielder with burst from the stoppages. With Hayden, he wasn't entirely consistent across the whole season. Didn't really step up to WAFL reserves football as well as I would have liked. Think his possessions numbers dropped by about 10 on average from the colts. In 20 something games, he only kicked the 2 goals. So he needs to add another element to his game there. Endurance can be improved.

Just a few little things to work on, which you expect from anyone who isn't picked in the first round.

Yes i can confirm you thought highly of Dixon Crowden and Meeks way back.....Who would be your two tips for our Rookie selection then ...more mids/small forwards??

If I've got time today, I'll look at putting together a quick rookie draft. I think there'll be a lot of recycling and some mature aged picks. We may look at someone like Bailey Banfield or Liam Baker, there are a few mature aged mids from the WAFL. Angus Styles is someone we were linked to, Flynn Appleby too.

Would you take Lachlan Pascoe as a rookie this year or wait to see how he recovers from his knee?

I don't think the Suns do themselves any favours with their drafting. It's like they try to prove that they're the smartest people in the room, but it's certainly not working so far. They've reached for players in the past, and it hasn't worked. Or they've picked skinny kids who won't be consistent players for a few years, which hasn't paid off yet. So what do they do this year? They reach for a skinny kid.
Textbook Scott Clayton. You could set your watch to it.

Now that the shake down has happened, what are your thoughts on the depth in the draft? There seems to be a positive air about some of the late picks we had; is that simple optimism? I know your thoughts clash a bit with Knightmare's, but have we simply built depth (which we probably need by the way)?

My perspective is that there has been a concerted effort to improve in 3 areas;
  • list balance. We have been weak in ball winning, small forward, KPF, ruck. All have had some attention.
  • disposal skills, especially kicking. Every selection seems to have had this as a criteria. I am certain that we can expect a marked difference in our transition work, and especially delivery into the forward 50.
  • decision making/football IQ. Fremantle's draft selections are all natural footballers.
In the rookie draft I am keen on us looking at Chris Scott/Butts, and maybe Sambono.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Chris,

What are your thoughts on Chris Scott and Brodie Carroll finding a spot in the rookie draft? I thought that they had a good finish to their years.

Would you take Lachlan Pascoe as a rookie this year or wait to see how he recovers from his knee?

I'd be waiting. I did like him pre injury, but he wasn't ever a guaranteed selection. So you'd be seeing how he goes next year first.

Now that the shake down has happened, what are your thoughts on the depth in the draft? There seems to be a positive air about some of the late picks we had; is that simple optimism? I know your thoughts clash a bit with Knightmare's, but have we simply built depth (which we probably need by the way)?

I think we've built depth, with potential to have best 22 players. Crowden could quite easily take over Nick Suban's role, and find himself playing inside 50 when Ballantyne is out injured. By the end of the season, perhaps North has overtaken Sheridan and Sutcliffe. Having depth is a good thing.

Hi Chris,

What are your thoughts on Chris Scott and Brodie Carroll finding a spot in the rookie draft? I thought that they had a good finish to their years.

Brodie Carroll certainly could. He's a good defender, did well at the Championships and his testing was impressive. Problem is that there are a lot of his type still out there. And I'm not expecting too many 18 year olds to be taken as rookies. And I know Chris Scott is a favourite on our board, he's got a leg up because of his extra size and he saved his best game for the Colts GF. I couldn't squeeze him into my rookie draft though, as I had teams going away from project rookies.

I'm expecting plenty of mature aged players and recycling tomorrow. As such there'll probably be quite a few unlucky 18 year olds who'll miss out.

Rookie Draft

1. Brisbane - Claye Beams (Brisbane)
2. Gold Coast - Nick Hind (Essendon VFL)
3. Carlton - Blaine Boekhurst (Carlton)
4. North Melbourne - Brett Bewley (Williamstown)
5. Fremantle - Lachlan Murphy (Adelaide SANFL)
6. Collingwood - Brody Mihocek (Port Melbourne)
7. Hawthorn - David Handley (Geelong Falcons)
8. St. Kilda - Tom Lamb (West Coast)
9. Western Bulldogs - Joel Amartey (Sandringham Dragons)
10. Melbourne - Stefan Giro (Norwood)
11. Essendon - Kieran Strachan (Essendon VFL)
12. Port Adelaide - Lindsay Thomas (North Melbourne)
13. West Coast - Haiden Schloithe (South Fremantle)
14. Sydney - Matthew Day (Oakleigh Chargers)
15. GWS - Jack Powell (GWS Academy)
16. Geelong - Stewart Crameri (Western Bulldogs)
17. Adelaide - Ian Milera (Glenelg)
18. Richmond - Trent Mynott (Eastern Ranges)

19. Brisbane - Cian Hanley (Brisbane)
20. Gold Coast - Alex Boyse (Essendon VFL)
21. Carlton - Cameron O'Shea (Northern Blues)
22. North Melbourne - Corey Wagner (North Melbourne)
23. Fremantle - Bailey Banfield (Claremont)
24. Collingwood - Hayden McLean (Sandringham Dragons)
25. Hawthorn - Jake Spencer (Melbourne)
26. St. Kilda - Lewis Pierce (St Kilda)
27. Western Bulldogs - Roarke Smith (Western Bulldogs)
28. Essendon - Cassidy Parish (Geelong Falcons)
29. West Coast - Noah Answerth (Oakleigh Chargers)
30. Sydney - Sam Fisher (Sydney)
31. GWS - Flynn Appleby (GWV Rebels)
32. Geelong - Matthew Hayball (Geelong)
33. Adelaide - Nathan Kreuger (South Adelaide)

34. Gold Coast - Jacob Dawson (Gold Coast Academy)
35. Collingwood - Adam Oxley (Collingwood)
36. Hawthorn - Dallas Willsmore (Hawthorn)
37. West Coast - Liam Baker (Subiaco)
38. Sydney - Alex Johnson (Sydney)
39. GWS - Brendan Myers (GWS Academy)
40. Adelaide - Cameron Ellis Yolmen (Adelaide)

41. Gold Coast - Sam Davidson (Gold Coast Academy)
42. West Coast - Gordon Narrier (Perth)
43. GWS - Sam Reid (GWS)
44. Adelaide - Jackson Edwards (Glenelg)

45. Gold Coast - Mackenzie Willis (Gold Coast)

Category B Selections

Carlton - Ethan Penrith
Hawthorn - Chang Jiath
Richmond - Derrick Smith
Gold Coast - Harry Simington
Gold Coast - Kwaby Boakye
GWS - Nathan Richards
Sydney - James Bell
Sydney - Jake Brown

I'm expecting plenty of mature aged players and recycling tomorrow. As such there'll probably be quite a few unlucky 18 year olds who'll miss out.

Rookie Draft

43. GWS - Sam Reid (GWS)

Category B Selections

Carlton - Ethan Penrith
Hawthorn - Chang Jiath
Richmond - Derrick Smith
GWS - Nathan Richards
Sydney - James Bell
Sydney - Jake Brown

Love your work mate, thanks for the year long effort.
Will be very happy if that's how it pans out for the giants

Rookie Draft

43. GWS - Sam Reid (GWS)

Category B Selections

Carlton - Ethan Penrith
Hawthorn - Chang Jiath
Richmond - Derrick Smith
GWS - Nathan Richards
Sydney - James Bell
Sydney - Jake Brown

Brisbane has one Cat B Academy/Zone selection.

Possibly either;

Campbell Walker, who played as a 19 yr old academy top up in our NEAFL team, was injured in his draft year and is a small forward, fierce tackler and strong mark, who was highly rated by our coaches.

Sam Copland, academy top up, who played the first 6 games in the twos before injury and showed a fair bit as a medium forward.

Like the bookends of Schloithe and Baker Chris25 but just for the sake of needs I'd love Ned Reeves as a ruck with our 2nd pick.

I imagine a few clubs could pick rucks, and it certainly sounds like West Coast will be one. Olango seems to be all the talk, not sure he'd be my pick. But he'd be a project to work with.

I like Sweet and West from the SANFL personally, but there's also Reeves and Conway.

I just don't really see him as leading a midfield. I don't see any reason why he couldn't have a long career, and play as a rotational midfielder. His strengths are in ball winning and pure number of possessions, but his rate of impact with those touches is still a bit low for me. He reminds me of someone like a Jack Redden, a solid player and will get his 20 or so touches a game. But not someone you build around.

Given where West Coast picked him, you probably can't ask for more than that. But with big questions over your midfield, taking two KPPs and a stay at home small forward is brave. But full credit to them for sticking to their draft board.
Thanks for that reply mate. The Brisbane years of Jack Redden or the now West Coast Jack Redden? The years when Jack played for Brisbane, he was one of my favourite players than and I can see a bit of Ainsworth with the Brisbane version of Redden. I see something different with Ainsworth though. I see him in 3-4 years with experience being a very important player for West Coast and slowly building a good midfield around him with his fast hands and good eye to pass the ball on to. Haha I'm not a West Coast fan mate I'm a blues fan, but I do love looking at young talent. Here is a little description I wrote of him early November towards the draft.

Pick 26-West Coast- Brayden Ainsworth- Brayden is a great player and should of made my top 15 favourites but I don't like changing things around so ill keep as is. The more I watch of him though the more I'm dying to put him into my top 8 favourites. He plays in the WAFL for both reserves and colts and fares well when in the reserves against the older players as he racks the ball a bit from stoppages and gets a couple marks and tackles which I love (Clayton Oliver you beauty). Brayden was also ranked number one in most clearances and second for contested possessions in the national U18 championships, thus being selected in the 2017 u18 All Australian TAC in the centre. Thats what I love about him, he is extremely hard working yet still has depth and holes to fill once in the AFL. He digs deep into the stoppages trying to be the first one to get the ball and racking plenty of it, creating space and defensively clearing the ball to his team mates. He doesn't have blistering speed through the middle but has speed in his body movement and handballs or kicks the ball away accurately under pressure which reminds me a bit when Cripps and Priddis does it. He is exactly what West Coast need and I'd be so shocked if West Coast did not choose this kid at all. West Coasts midfield at the moment is like a wheel that is missing a cog that is needed to get that wheel back together and running. Brayden is that missing cog who will slowly but rewardingly build that midfield that west coast is in need of with the departures of elite players Priddis and Mitchell. Brayden reminds me a lot of of Priddis anyway so he could definitely fill that spot and be an elite clearance and ball winner and showing 110% every game to become one of West Coasts most important players. Lock him in.

Rookie Draft

43. GWS - Sam Reid (GWS)

Category B Selections
d
Carlton - Ethan Penrith
Hawthorn - Chang Jiath
Richmond - Derrick Smith
GWS - Nathan Richards
Sydney - James Bell
Sydney - Jake Brown

We wont take another one dimensional inside midfielder and as much as I love what Kieran Strachan could become. Not sure he fills a list need either after we gave Draper two years and signed Luke Lavender as a CatB rookie a month or so ago.

We wont take another one dimensional inside midfielder and as much as I love what Kieran Strachan could become. Not sure he fills a list need either after we gave Draper two years and signed Luke Lavender as a CatB rookie a month or so ago.

Thoughts on Patrick Wilson Yod.

Mature ager, not sure what his tank is like but he could be a lock for Essendon midfield in Round 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back