Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I finish up my August rankings, I thought I'd put together a quick first round mock draft. One of the first of the season for BigFooty too it seems. I found the first pick the most difficult, and as I mention in the draft I can see Brisbane trying to trade down if they finish with the #1 pick.

But anyway...

1. Brisbane - Luke Davies Uniacke (187cm, 85kg from Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)

If I were Brisbane, I'd have the #1 pick on the table and see if someone wants Rayner enough to trade up for him. And I think there'd be a market. But for now, I'll go with the player I still have as the top midfielder - and a Country boy, which is generally more appealing to non Victorian sides. But I think Brisbane would be equally as happy with any of Dow, Cerra, Stephenson or Coffield either.

2. Carlton - Cameron Rayner (187cm, 88kg from Western Jets/Vic Metro)

Rayner is someone I see as playing about 60% forward, 40% midfield and I'm not sure that will ever change all that significantly. And that's despite his haircut making the Dustin Martin comparisons even more appealing. But he's one of the few real game changers, and would fit in well with some similar type players at Carlton.

3. North Melbourne - Jaidyn Stephenson (189cm, 76kg from Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)

I've been saying for years that North are a fairly one dimensional side, without too much run or excitement. Yet they never seem to draft much x factor. But if they don't land a big fish in trade week, then the outside midfielder/half forward in Stephenson is the obvious pick for me. Can kick goals, take big marks and is a better contested ball winner than given credit for.

4. Gold Coast - Joel Garner (183cm, 81kg from Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)

There are other players generally rated higher, but Garner is a favourite of mine and I think every bit as good as the other players on the board. One of the more composed players in the draft, a very good kick and a true leader. I think he starts out across half back, with the potential to go inside and win his own ball. Only problem is that he might be too good in the back lines to justify a move into the midfield.

5. Fremantle - Jarrod Brander (194cm, 89kg from Bendigo Pioneers/Allies)

Fremantle fans will be happy, getting a highly rated young tall to develop in the forward line. As a forward, he's better suited to a CHF role where he can run and use his athleticism. Which unfortunately, is also the strength of Cam McCarthy. His game sense is good, and I rate him as a field kick. One reason why I do personally prefer him playing in the back line, but he's the highest rated tall in the draft.

6. St Kilda - Paddy Dow (184cm, 78kg from Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country)

He's really climbing the draft boards these past couple of months, he'll be well and truly in the mix for #1 if Brisbane is picking. And if Brisbane do look to move down to around this point in the draft, will the Saints be interested in adding a game changer like Rayner to the mix? A midfielder with speed who can play both inside and out, I imagine he'd be in and around the centre stoppages pretty early in his career.

7. Collingwood - Darcy Fogarty (192cm, 92kg from Glenelg/South Australia)

A much better player than what he showed at the Championships, his knee problems really hampered him but he's getting that cleaned up now. A strong marking forward who can play from the goal square, while also throwing his weight around in the midfield. Darcy Moore desperately needs some help up forward, and pairing him up with the shorter but stronger Darcy would be a good mix.

8. St Kilda - Hunter Clark (186cm, 79kg from Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)

One of my favourite players in the draft, I just like the way he goes about his football. Reminds me of Connor Blakely from Fremantle, he attacks both the ball and the opposition at full speed. Big body and can play midfield or half back. He has big tackle numbers in the TAC Cup, and has particularly good hands. The Saints can keep adding A grade talent to their midfield stocks.

9. Melbourne - Jack Higgins (178cm, 76kg from Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)

Probably not the way most would go here, but it's an option that will pay off sooner than others. Higgins could come in and play from Round 1 next year, and help Melbourne move into finals contention now. Can't question his commitment, he'll throw himself at every contest and add some real fight to the forward line. While he's just a natural ball winner, and generally good for 1-2 goals a game.

10. West Coast - Adam Cerra (186cm, 85kg from Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)

Maybe I'm biased as a Fremantle fan, but West Coast have a pretty poor midfield. And the midfielders they do have, not many have the ability to hit the scoreboard. Cerra ticks a lot of boxes with his size, stoppage work and ability to push forward. He's one of a handful of midfielders in contention for the top spot, so this would be about the bottom of his range.

11. Essendon - Andrew Brayshaw (183cm, 80kg from Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)

Perhaps not the highest rated midfielder left on the board in many people's opinions, but his inside work will appeal and he has a better balance to his game than others. Like his brother Angus, he is a strong clearance player and can win his own ball. However, he has a much improved outside game with better speed. I think he'll develop into a more well rounded player.

12. Western Bulldogs - Sam Hayes (203cm, 93kg from Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)

Yes, the Bulldogs took Tim English in the first round last year. And yes, no team players two ruckmen anymore. But I think a Hayes/English combination would work, given their extreme differences in strengths. And I do still think Hayes is a better ruck than forward, he showed that last year with some excellent ruckwork. The only difference is this year, he's stronger than the opposition so his contested marking was better utilised up forward from a team perspective.

13. Sydney - Nick Coffield (190cm, 83kg from Northern Knights/Vic Metro)

Sydney can just continue to add the best available pick, and for them I think they'd be looking at elite ball users this year. Particularly on the outside, with Matthew Ling the obvious choice if Coffield is already gone. But since he's here, Coffield fits in as an outside midfielder/flanker. I think his best football has come when he gets to float off the packs, with space to use his run and foot skills.

14. Brisbane - Lochie O'Brien (184cm, 75kg from Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country)

Fair to say he hasn't quite had the season he would have wanted, coming into 2017 pencilled in as a top 5 prospect. But he did have injury problems, and it took him a little bit to really get going. The other thing that maybe hurts his standing a bit, is him being almost exclusively an outside player. But what he does, he does well. An elite runner, feed the ball out to him and he'll hit up targets going inside 50 all day.

15. Richmond - Patrick Naish (183cm, 73kg from Northern Knights/Vic Metro)

I'm too lazy to actually change the order for F/S bidding and do all the calculations that come with it, but at the moment I see a bid for Naish coming anywhere from 15-25. So there is a good chance that Richmond will get lucky and not have to use a first round pick on him. Taken his game to another level this year with his goal kicking, he's shaping as one of the more dangerous outside midfielders and fits the current Richmond game plan well.

16. Richmond - Noah Balta (194cm, 92kg from Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)

If Richmond are looking for a tall, there are a few ways for them to go and the two West Australians in Naughton and Allen are the better players in my opinion. But for potential, the local boy in Balta is right up there. He hasn't really put everything together yet, but has all the elements to succeed - strong mark, big kick, super athletic. I like him best as a CHB, but there's no harm in seeing if he can be the partner that Jack Riewold has always wanted up forward first.

17. Adelaide - Aaron Naughton (194cm, 84kg from Peel Thunder/Western Australia)

Nobody is climbing the ranks quicker than Naughton at the moment, he's been excellent since debuting for Peel in the seniors a few weeks back. In my own rankings, he's the clear second best KPP behind Brander and I think he's got a range of about 8-20 at the moment. His intercept marking is second to none, and he uses the ball well even though he's kicking style is so awkward.

While I finish up my August rankings, I thought I'd put together a quick first round mock draft. One of the first of the season for BigFooty too it seems. I found the first pick the most difficult, and as I mention in the draft I can see Brisbane trying to trade down if they finish with the #1 pick.

But anyway...

1. Brisbane - Luke Davies Uniacke (187cm, 85kg from Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)

If I were Brisbane, I'd have the #1 pick on the table and see if someone wants Rayner enough to trade up for him. And I think there'd be a market. But for now, I'll go with the player I still have as the top midfielder - and a Country boy, which is generally more appealing to non Victorian sides. But I think Brisbane would be equally as happy with any of Dow, Cerra, Stephenson or Coffield either.

2. Carlton - Cameron Rayner (187cm, 88kg from Western Jets/Vic Metro)

Rayner is someone I see as playing about 60% forward, 40% midfield and I'm not sure that will ever change all that significantly. And that's despite his haircut making the Dustin Martin comparisons even more appealing. But he's one of the few real game changers, and would fit in well with some similar type players at Carlton.

3. North Melbourne - Jaidyn Stephenson (189cm, 76kg from Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)

I've been saying for years that North are a fairly one dimensional side, without too much run or excitement. Yet they never seem to draft much x factor. But if they don't land a big fish in trade week, then the outside midfielder/half forward in Stephenson is the obvious pick for me. Can kick goals, take big marks and is a better contested ball winner than given credit for.

4. Gold Coast - Joel Garner (183cm, 81kg from Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)

There are other players generally rated higher, but Garner is a favourite of mine and I think every bit as good as the other players on the board. One of the more composed players in the draft, a very good kick and a true leader. I think he starts out across half back, with the potential to go inside and win his own ball. Only problem is that he might be too good in the back lines to justify a move into the midfield.

5. Fremantle - Jarrod Brander (194cm, 89kg from Bendigo Pioneers/Allies)

Fremantle fans will be happy, getting a highly rated young tall to develop in the forward line. As a forward, he's better suited to a CHF role where he can run and use his athleticism. Which unfortunately, is also the strength of Cam McCarthy. His game sense is good, and I rate him as a field kick. One reason why I do personally prefer him playing in the back line, but he's the highest rated tall in the draft.

6. St Kilda - Paddy Dow (184cm, 78kg from Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country)

He's really climbing the draft boards these past couple of months, he'll be well and truly in the mix for #1 if Brisbane is picking. And if Brisbane do look to move down to around this point in the draft, will the Saints be interested in adding a game changer like Rayner to the mix? A midfielder with speed who can play both inside and out, I imagine he'd be in and around the centre stoppages pretty early in his career.

7. Collingwood - Darcy Fogarty (192cm, 92kg from Glenelg/South Australia)

A much better player than what he showed at the Championships, his knee problems really hampered him but he's getting that cleaned up now. A strong marking forward who can play from the goal square, while also throwing his weight around in the midfield. Darcy Moore desperately needs some help up forward, and pairing him up with the shorter but stronger Darcy would be a good mix.

8. St Kilda - Hunter Clark (186cm, 79kg from Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country)

One of my favourite players in the draft, I just like the way he goes about his football. Reminds me of Connor Blakely from Fremantle, he attacks both the ball and the opposition at full speed. Big body and can play midfield or half back. He has big tackle numbers in the TAC Cup, and has particularly good hands. The Saints can keep adding A grade talent to their midfield stocks.

9. Melbourne - Jack Higgins (178cm, 76kg from Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)

Probably not the way most would go here, but it's an option that will pay off sooner than others. Higgins could come in and play from Round 1 next year, and help Melbourne move into finals contention now. Can't question his commitment, he'll throw himself at every contest and add some real fight to the forward line. While he's just a natural ball winner, and generally good for 1-2 goals a game.

10. West Coast - Adam Cerra (186cm, 85kg from Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)

Maybe I'm biased as a Fremantle fan, but West Coast have a pretty poor midfield. And the midfielders they do have, not many have the ability to hit the scoreboard. Cerra ticks a lot of boxes with his size, stoppage work and ability to push forward. He's one of a handful of midfielders in contention for the top spot, so this would be about the bottom of his range.

11. Essendon - Andrew Brayshaw (183cm, 80kg from Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)

Perhaps not the highest rated midfielder left on the board in many people's opinions, but his inside work will appeal and he has a better balance to his game than others. Like his brother Angus, he is a strong clearance player and can win his own ball. However, he has a much improved outside game with better speed. I think he'll develop into a more well rounded player.

12. Western Bulldogs - Sam Hayes (203cm, 93kg from Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)

Yes, the Bulldogs took Tim English in the first round last year. And yes, no team players two ruckmen anymore. But I think a Hayes/English combination would work, given their extreme differences in strengths. And I do still think Hayes is a better ruck than forward, he showed that last year with some excellent ruckwork. The only difference is this year, he's stronger than the opposition so his contested marking was better utilised up forward from a team perspective.

13. Sydney - Nick Coffield (190cm, 83kg from Northern Knights/Vic Metro)

Sydney can just continue to add the best available pick, and for them I think they'd be looking at elite ball users this year. Particularly on the outside, with Matthew Ling the obvious choice if Coffield is already gone. But since he's here, Coffield fits in as an outside midfielder/flanker. I think his best football has come when he gets to float off the packs, with space to use his run and foot skills.

14. Brisbane - Lochie O'Brien (184cm, 75kg from Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country)

Fair to say he hasn't quite had the season he would have wanted, coming into 2017 pencilled in as a top 5 prospect. But he did have injury problems, and it took him a little bit to really get going. The other thing that maybe hurts his standing a bit, is him being almost exclusively an outside player. But what he does, he does well. An elite runner, feed the ball out to him and he'll hit up targets going inside 50 all day.

15. Richmond - Patrick Naish (183cm, 73kg from Northern Knights/Vic Metro)

I'm too lazy to actually change the order for F/S bidding and do all the calculations that come with it, but at the moment I see a bid for Naish coming anywhere from 15-25. So there is a good chance that Richmond will get lucky and not have to use a first round pick on him. Taken his game to another level this year with his goal kicking, he's shaping as one of the more dangerous outside midfielders and fits the current Richmond game plan well.

16. Richmond - Noah Balta (194cm, 92kg from Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)

If Richmond are looking for a tall, there are a few ways for them to go and the two West Australians in Naughton and Allen are the better players in my opinion. But for potential, the local boy in Balta is right up there. He hasn't really put everything together yet, but has all the elements to succeed - strong mark, big kick, super athletic. I like him best as a CHB, but there's no harm in seeing if he can be the partner that Jack Riewold has always wanted up forward first.

17. Adelaide - Aaron Naughton (194cm, 84kg from Peel Thunder/Western Australia)

Nobody is climbing the ranks quicker than Naughton at the moment, he's been excellent since debuting for Peel in the seniors a few weeks back. In my own rankings, he's the clear second best KPP behind Brander and I think he's got a range of about 8-20 at the moment. His intercept marking is second to none, and he uses the ball well even though he's kicking style is so awkward.
You have done a great job with this, as a bombers supporter I couldn't be happier with Brayshaw and I cant argue with the order of the players at this stage

1. Brisbane: LDU

2. Carlton: Rayner

3. NM: Stephenson

4. GC: Dow

5. Freo: Brander

6 StK: Cerra

7. Pies: Naughton

8. StK: Fogarty

9. Melb: Coffield

10. WC: Clarke

11. Ess: Constable

12 WB: Higgins

13. Syd: Hayes

14. Brisb: Ballenden

15. Rich: Balta

16. Rich: Brayshaw

17. Adel: Worpel

cool. im just surprised that Andrew is being talked about in the 10-15 range and yet Angus went at pick 2, despite both players being rated somewhat similarly as prospects

I'm not a fan of LDU as a Lions member I would hope for Stephenson Or Dow at 1 and Brayshaw at 14 with Ballenden matched with pick 18
I believe a lot would have to go right for us in this draft for us to end up with the players we fans are most often talking about. We've been "spoilt" by the last two drafts. Still a long way to go before the draft, but there is every chance by pick 14 that every kid currently rated in the top 20 that we Lions fans like will already be gone. If none of O'Brien, Clark, Coffield or Brayshaw are available at 14, I'm taking Worpel (surprise, surprise).

With Chris25 draft, if Dow was there at 6 and Coffield there at 8, I would be trading pick 1 to St Kilda. (Chris a St Kilda member asked today if we would trade 1 for 6 & 8).

As Suns supporter I think there will be pressure on list management to get an inside to balanced midfielder that we are really short of and that there should be a few decent mids available around this pick - also think GC are loaded with HBF types - KK, Hanley, Saad, Joyce, Scrimshaw

I'm not a fan of LDU as a Lions member I would hope for Stephenson Or Dow at 1 and Brayshaw at 14 with Ballenden matched with pick 18

I personally don't think Dow is in the #1 mix, I have him in that 5-10 range. Which is a big reason why I expect Brisbane will look to trade down. As briztoon suggested, the Saints would be one such option - which would then put Brisbane in the range of Dow, Cerra and Coffield.

But until a trade happens, I'll go with the top 'full time' midfielder in LDU.

As for Brayshaw at 14, I think he'll go before then. Unless teams reach for the talls.

As Suns supporter I think there will be pressure on list management to get an inside to balanced midfielder that we are really short of and that there should be a few decent mids available around this pick - also think GC are loaded with HBF types - KK, Hanley, Saad, Joyce, Scrimshaw

With Garner, I rate him the best half back in the draft. And he is different to the likes of Kolodjashnij, Hanley and Scrimshaw in that he's more of a tough and imposing flanker like a Luke Hodge. So I think there'd be room for him.

But if you're talking balanced midfielders, I don't think there are many ahead of him in that regard either. He can win his own ball, has good speed and disposes of it very well. Future captain too, whether extra leadership is something the Suns need...well, I'll leave that to Gold Coast supporters to argue about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Chris25 , Chris Fagan puts a massive importance on elite disposal skills and composure under pressure who do you see as the best few in the draft in these areas?

With Garner, I rate him the best half back in the draft. And he is different to the likes of Kolodjashnij, Hanley and Scrimshaw in that he's more of a tough and imposing flanker like a Luke Hodge. So I think there'd be room for him.

Has Garner played much midfield this year?

Hi Chris25 , Chris Fagan puts a massive importance on elite disposal skills and composure under pressure who do you see as the best few in the draft in these areas?

You guys destroyed the last draft for those attributes, also obtaining the likes of Berry with some great leadership styled characteristics.

If Saints dont get kelly and manage to keep 6 and 8, I could definitely see a trade happening like 1+19 for 6+8. Saints get an x-factor mid prospect in Rayner which they desperately need and can still pick someone like clark or ling at 19 while Brisbane could package up something like fogarty + dow.

I personally don't think Dow is in the #1 mix, I have him in that 5-10 range. Which is a big reason why I expect Brisbane will look to trade down. As briztoon suggested, the Saints would be one such option - which would then put Brisbane in the range of Dow, Cerra and Coffield.

But until a trade happens, I'll go with the top 'full time' midfielder in LDU.

As for Brayshaw at 14, I think he'll go before then. Unless teams reach for the talls.

Brayshaw is the 2017 Dragon who most reminds me of Andy McGrath. Not quite as quick or agile but very similar in all other areas. Perhaps a little harder inside at this stage though. Is captaining the APS Rep side tomorrow - leadership is a big tick for mine.

If he doesn't go inside top 10 I'll eat my mouldy old shorts.

Brayshaw is the 2017 Dragon who most reminds me of Andy McGrath. Not quite as quick or agile but very similar in all other areas. Perhaps a little harder inside at this stage though. Is captaining the APS Rep side tomorrow - leadership is a big tick for mine.

If he doesn't go inside top 10 I'll eat my mouldy old shorts.
Remember his game from the Metro vs Country trials. Remember him running with the ball with someone right on his hammer, the forward wasn't leading right so he indicated where he wanted him to go, the forward lead and Brayshaw gave it to him lace out. That was the moment I thought "We have a player here"

Remember his game from the Metro vs Country trials. Remember him running with the ball with someone right on his hammer, the forward wasn't leading right so he indicated where he wanted him to go, the forward lead and Brayshaw gave it to him lace out. That was the moment I thought "We have a player here"

Funny thing is, he was absent from most of the initial top 50/mock draft boards which were put up on BF during summer/autumn.

Befuddling.

If Saints dont get kelly and manage to keep 6 and 8, I could definitely see a trade happening like 1+19 for 6+8. Saints get an x-factor mid prospect in Rayner which they desperately need and can still pick someone like clark or ling at 19 while Brisbane could package up something like fogarty + dow.
We won't give 19 in such a trade. Our third round pick certainly.

im still not sure why people are talking down this draft.

i think it probably lacks genuine superstar quality and perhaps lacks depth. But the first round will be quite good i think.

Agree - if you can't tell me who the consensus #1 player is there is no way I'm giving up a 6 and 8

im still not sure why people are talking down this draft.

i think it probably lacks genuine superstar quality and perhaps lacks depth. But the first round will be quite good i think.

There was actually a recruiter who said the same thing on AFL media (Can't remember which one - Silvagni?) talking to Twomey - no stand out top end (said McGrath would be better than the top pick this year) but good depth. Which is the complete opposite to what many have being saying on this board.

For mine it looks a lot better overall than last year's draft. I do think it dips off sharply around pick 50, but till then you get really good value for picks in the 30s and 40s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back