Draft Watcher Young Talent Time 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't seek pick 1 going for 6 and 8 - yes sure great for Brisbane but why would the Saints do that when there may not be much difference in talent level between 1 and 6?

Maybe pick 1 for pick 6 and a player?

Can't seek pick 1 going for 6 and 8 - yes sure great for Brisbane but why would the Saints do that when there may not be much difference in talent level between 1 and 6?

There seems to be a little gap in the first two players of the draft. Primarily with Cam Rayner, who is already built very strong.

St Kilda may want a ready made player while Brisbane may be happy to take the two picks.

10. West Coast - Adam Cerra (186cm, 85kg from Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro)

Maybe I'm biased as a Fremantle fan, but West Coast have a pretty poor midfield. And the midfielders they do have, not many have the ability to hit the scoreboard. Cerra ticks a lot of boxes with his size, stoppage work and ability to push forward. He's one of a handful of midfielders in contention for the top spot, so this would be about the bottom of his range.

13. Sydney - Nick Coffield (190cm, 83kg from Northern Knights/Vic Metro)

Sydney can just continue to add the best available pick, and for them I think they'd be looking at elite ball users this year. Particularly on the outside, with Matthew Ling the obvious choice if Coffield is already gone. But since he's here, Coffield fits in as an outside midfielder/flanker. I think his best football has come when he gets to float off the packs, with space to use his run and foot skills.

I think you're right about West Coasts midfield but believe we need more on the outside than a goal kicking mid. Our problem is lack of supply more than anything with our inside 50's being sub par. Coffield would be a better fit for us as we also lack bigger bodied mids.

There was actually a recruiter who said the same thing on AFL media (Can't remember which one - Silvagni?) talking to Twomey - no stand out top end (said McGrath would be better than the top pick this year) but good depth. Which is the complete opposite to what many have being saying on this board.

For mine it looks a lot better overall than last year's draft. I do think it dips off sharply around pick 50, but till then you get really good value for picks in the 30s and 40s.
It was GWS's recruiter. But GWS don't have a first round pick, but do have 2 second round picks from other teams.

So of course he's going say it's got ok depth.

He said the top talent isn't as good as last years draft. The depth to about 20 to 25 is the same as last year, maybe the next 10 is a bit stronger than last year, depends on how you rate them.

Chances are the Hawks and Saints move up a spot or two though. Could look more like Pick 7 (Hawks) and Pick 10 (Saints), or even 8 & 11 if Rocky leaves. 7 and 10 for 1 would be pretty much on par I would have though. Pick 2 and Pick 20 for Pick 7 and Pick 10 if the Lions want someone specific at Pick 1, and if we're happy taking either of the top two. With where our list is at, would prefer the Saints to be going for a ready made Senior player, as opposed to hitting the draft, but I guess that relies on whether a ready made Senior player wants us...

If Freo get Mcgovern I think they might trade First picks with Adelaide which should get them Naughton. It might also cost next years 2nd to Adelaide.

If Freo get Mcgovern I think they might trade First picks with Adelaide which should get them Naughton. It might also cost next years 2nd to Adelaide.
I am sorry, are you suggesting pick 5 and next years second (say pick 23) for pick 18 and McGovern?

I hope the club keeps clear of any deals like that. If Adelaide receive a top 10 pick for Lever I would do that, but with an exchange of second round picks next year.

The other thing is that if we really wanted Naughton and McGovern then surely a player like Cox must come into trade discussion.

Chris 25 love your work. Absolute gun chris 25 , keep up the brilliant work. I seek your valued opinion. I make no bones about the fact i am a c rayner fan. Brisbane i feel lack x factor. Do you think rayner is any chance to be at the lions or the fact the lions r considering trading pick one ,( which i feel is a huge mistake) is an acceptance that rayner does not want to go there.

I think you're right about West Coasts midfield but believe we need more on the outside than a goal kicking mid. Our problem is lack of supply more than anything with our inside 50's being sub par. Coffield would be a better fit for us as we also lack bigger bodied mids.
If Adam Cerra was there at pick 8-10, we would take that in a heartbeat, IMO. He's rated top 3 this year for a reason.

186cm/85kg- he's not small and can win it on the inside to go with the good disposal.

If Adam Cerra was there at pick 8-10, we would take that in a heartbeat, IMO. He's rated top 3 this year for a reason.

186cm/85kg- he's not small and can win it on the inside to go with the good disposal.

Dom Sheed, Jack Redden, Liam Duggan, Luke Partington, Kurt Mutimer, Mark Hutchings and even Luke Shuey are all inside mids. Cerra isn't quick.

Chris 25 love your work. Absolute gun chris 25 , keep up the brilliant work. I seek your valued opinion. I make no bones about the fact i am a c rayner fan. Brisbane i feel lack x factor. Do you think rayner is any chance to be at the lions or the fact the lions r considering trading pick one ,( which i feel is a huge mistake) is an acceptance that rayner does not want to go there.
The possible go home factor is only one of numerous red flags, both on and off field, with Rayner. Yes he's the most exciting prospect in this years draft, and I still do not want him near our club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dom Sheed, Jack Redden, Liam Duggan, Luke Partington, Kurt Mutimer, Mark Hutchings and even Luke Shuey are all inside mids. Cerra isn't quick.

Shuey, Sheed and Redden are probably the only ones you'd be confident about playing in the guts consistently.

Duggan is thriving as a rebounding defender at the moment, hopefully he becomes an onballer but it may not turn out that way.
Partington and Mutimer are solid types but somewhat limited and are no certainty to make it.
Hutchings is a competent tagger but has never really established himself as a primary mid.

Daniel Venables will be a quality mid/fwd in time but we could use another prospect like Cerra to round out our onball division (although I expect him sliding to pick 9 is a pipe dream).

So much negativity about Rayner. Is it founded on anything more than presumptuous Chinese whispers about his preferred club and one guy who's started up a campaign based on one school football game?

So much negativity about Rayner. Is it founded on anything more than presumptuous Chinese whispers about his preferred club and one guy who's started up a campaign based on one school football game?
He has a different preferred club, depending on if it's a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night.

HI Chris, are you able to give your insight to Adien Bonar? What is his potential AFL level and if he picked were to you reckon he'd go.
Appreciate your great work. Ciao

HI Chris, are you able to give your insight to Adien Bonar? What is his potential AFL level and if he picked were to you reckon he'd go.
Appreciate your great work. Ciao

Can't offer too much. I haven't seen enough of Bonar to get a proper read, I'll do my best to get my hands on what I can.

From those I've heard from, I'd be expecting him to go earlier than you'd think.

Saw Bonar first hand yesterday.

Big fella who has got some aggression and tricks. Stands out due to hairstyle and size IMO. Not big enough for KPP, not fit enough for midfield.

Didn't get anywhere near enough of the football to be in the conversation re: high drafting. Might be a "moneyball" 4th rounder - rookie.

Saw Bonar first hand yesterday.

Big fella who has got some aggression and tricks. Stands out due to hairstyle and size IMO. Not big enough for KPP, not fit enough for midfield.

Didn't get anywhere near enough of the football to be in the conversation re: high drafting. Might be a "moneyball" 4th rounder - rookie.

Thank God..a realistic appraisal.

Rayner isn't fit enough for midfield either, and he's on track to be the first pick.

With Bonar, he has a lot of things that set him apart from the rest of the draft group. Which is his biggest advantage. I'm not sold on Constable like others are, so there aren't a heap of 190cm players capable of having a real impact through the midfield. That alone will see his value increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back