Society & Culture Young women spend $14,000 per year on beauty products / services

Remove this Banner Ad

Did not expect to see Thatcher get a run ITT. Not a bad SA rant.

I think my life total of Chemist Warehouse purchases is one bottle of cologne and I'm pretty sure I went into one one other time to get something supermarkety also. Despite the name I kind of don't register that it's actually a pharmacy and you can get prescription drugs there. The bright yellow paintwork and wall to wall advertising just makes it seem like a Price Attack or Red Dot or something. If I want to get a script filled (can't remember the last time I did that, more like a once a year trip for over the counter Sudafed) I'll just go to the local little pharmacy. If I want shampoo in a giant bottle I'll go back to a lairy one.

I'm pretty low maintenance in the beauty and make-up department, but I would easily spend a few hundred a year on basic make up (foundation, concealer, mascara etc.) and decent moisturiser. I'd hazard around a maximum of $400 a year. Hardly bleeding me dry but at the end of the day it's not the most essential expense that I've got.

I have no issues with Chemist Warehouse.
Not shocked. You think it’s actually good for society to have casualised work forces? You did well for yourself but you’re a bit callous to others and have recently given off this kind of braggy, ‘yeah I got it’ vibe.

There’s nothing good about every large employer having 30 people on the books who share managerial duties for $25 an hour and 20 hours a week.

Not shocked. You think it’s actually good for society to have casualised work forces? You did well for yourself but you’re a bit callous to others and have recently given off this kind of braggy, ‘yeah I got it’ vibe.

There’s nothing good about every large employer having 30 people on the books who share managerial duties for $25 an hour and 20 hours a week.
Well, no.

I meant more as, I've never had any issues with staff or products there. They've always been helpful and polite whenever I have been there.

I worked at Maccas for 7.5 years, all while being an adult. I know what it's like to be treated like s**t at work.

Well, no.

I meant more as, I've never had any issues with staff or products there. They've always been helpful and polite whenever I have been there.

I worked at Maccas for 7.5 years, all while being an adult. I know what it's like to be treated like **** at work.
But there's an underlying social cost to their range and cheap prices.

People are very happy to overlook it but for those who aren't lucky enough to own an apartment in MoPo and have a white collar jobs, it's really harmful and can put you in a terrible spot where you're too poor to live and not rich enough to advance. This idea you can work up the chain is null and void and the idea of looking for new work isn't an especially promising outlook for young girls.

I dunno, it's just one of those things. It's like you're the sort of person who gets angry at shoplifters and dobs them into staff and expects them to chase them down, or you're someone who's on the poor Aboriginal woman's side when she's stung for stealing some food.

I've been out of Australia for a while, when did they start forcing people to take jobs at Chemist Warehouse?
Come on man, you're better than that. No one is forcing anyone to do anything, but what are the alternatives for unskilled 17-25 year olds?

It's a large company that spends millions a year on that dickhead Jo Silvagni, sponsoring Sherrins, and being plastered all over the TV. Australians are some of the most 'but what about me?' people in the world. People don't look into why some franchises are cheap.

I don't think it's that ludicrous to think a major employer should actually offer full-time wages.

She was so hot on Sale of the Century. Now she has kids old enough (though not really good enough) to play at AFL level. Did Google, still total MILFtown.

Chemist Warehouse kinda sucks but less because they are part of the retail race to the bottom and more because they dilute what a pharmacy is actually intended to be. You get paid 2/5 of SFA to work there as a qualified pharmacist. Stuff that.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything, but what are the alternatives for unskilled 17-25 year olds?
The gig economy. Learn a skill, start on Fiverr, work your way up.

Get a car, drive people around.

Or get a bike and deliver food.

I don't think it's that ludicrous to think a major employer should actually offer full-time wages.
'Should'?

For whose benefit?

Honestly if your argument is 'lazy pricks, just ride for Ubereats' then you're an idiot. If they were good jobs, everyone would be doing it.

Instead you use your own capital for no reimbursement, get paid well well well below minimum wage, and to make a minimum wage you have to work a ludicrous amount of hours.

I won't even get into the awful hours and huge safety concerns it raises.

Ubereats is a job for the super desperate, backpackers, or recent migrants who are super eager to make as much money as possible regardless of the s**t conditions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not saying they're 'lazy'. You've just made that up.

They can sit on the dole for all I care. Why not? It's free money.

If they want more than the dole, they'll have to work. A lot of entry level jobs are s**t.

I should know. I've worked more than my fair share. Including five years in fast food ffs.

UberEATS is a crock. Get your own food you lazy kents.

From what I can gather you get $5.80 for picking something off, $0.90 per km traveled and $2.70 for dropping it off. So if you do a 5km delivery you get $13. And then for some reason they take 30% of that. So you actually get $9.10. The biggest rort is they sting the restaurants based on order value and charge the drivers flat fees.

It's shady AF but like a lot of things I guess you make of it what you can. Minimum wage is $19/hr and people are always bitching about casualisation of the workforce and not having steady income. This chick in Melbourne said she was making about $430 working 21 hours (https://www.news.com.au/finance/wor...r/news-story/68fe347d5b7a37b58e30533758c3e040) which is more than I ever made working part time.

Sounds like you've been watching too many 'how to be an entrepreneur' YouTube videos
Or I'm one of the people who used to watch those videos, spent time learning skills while working a shitty job, and now travels the world as an online entrepreneur.

She was so hot on Sale of the Century. Now she has kids old enough (though not really good enough) to play at AFL level. Did Google, still total MILFtown.

Chemist Warehouse kinda sucks but less because they are part of the retail race to the bottom and more because they dilute what a pharmacy is actually intended to be. You get paid 2/5 of SFA to work there as a qualified pharmacist. Stuff that.

Isn't MILF a relative term? Like for a young bloke say in his teens to mid-twenties, a woman in her forties who's had kids and is still attractive is a MILF but to those of us in that MILF's age range she's just a woman who's had kids? Still a mum and still one you'd love to furnish with long sessions on the workbench but no longer really needing the MILF title.

GILFdom works for us though :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back