Younger players

Who do you think will really step up in 07?

• Tim Schmidt

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Andrew Ericksen

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Earl Shaw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simon Phillips

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Heath Grundy

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Luke Vogels

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Jared Moore

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Nick Malceski

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Josh Willoughby

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • OTHER- Brabazon, Thornton, Laidlaw etc.

Votes: 9 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

SWANNIES RULE

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Perth
We need for some of our younger players to step up in 07.

Kirk, Micky, Hall and Leapin Leo won't be around forever.

Which young-inexperienced player do you think will improve the most in 07?

Malceski's a definite in most peoples minds because he's already proved himself at AFL level. Grundy and Schmidt would be the other two to think about because they've already shown something.

Yeah, Malceski is a definate. I'm really excited about his football in 2007, he only seems to be getting better. Like the person above me said, Grundy and Schmidt aswell. I think they'll get alot more game time next year.

Malceski. No doubt about that. He played well in the GF, and he will prosper and become a better player in the latter years of his career.

Grundy, Schmidt, Flipper and Willoughby. Grundy is a very promising player, booted 4 goals on debut, a great potential forward. I think he'll fill in the shoes of Bazza.

Willoughby! He didn't play this year! It's surprsing, he is has so much potential. Also Spriggs! Like c'mon, hes gotta play next year! If he doesn't... i'll kill Roosy.

Of the new regulars - Teddy, Macca and Mal - I can't see any of them failing to retain a spot in the starting 22 next year. And we still have Crouch to come back.

We know there'll be changes, though. Roos likes to introduce/re-introduce either one or 2 players from the reserves a year and then stick with them for most of a season. Grundy may find himself in a simlar position to Vogels this year unless a key forward goes down in 2007, though. I think Moore and Schmidt are more likely to get a decent crack if an opportunity arises.

Fascinating to see what the club does during trade week, though.

Hopefully Roos comes to his senses re: Mathews. Vogels deserves his spot, every week.

Nevertheless, the depth is there if Roos is willing to use it. Give Spriggs a run, see if he's worth the commitment. Put at least a dozen games into each of Grundy, Schmidt and Moore. Give Shaw and Laidlaw a taste.

I think Moore is most likely and Grundy and Schmidt least likely. Both are too slow for the elite level and IMHO Vogels and Moore are far better prospects in their respective positions. I'd also like a saver on Laidlaw. Quickest player at the club, can kick the ball a country mile and hard at it. If not 2007, then a banker for 08.

Moore was unlucky this year as he was doing some good things in the ones until a serious injury ended his season prematurely.He's been at Sydney for two years now and hopefully next year we will see why he was such a gun player in the TAC Cup in 2004.
The Eski has been at the club for four years and I would call him an established player now.
Thornton is one I am looking forward to see develop.He seems to have some really exciting qualities which I hope he can bring up to the Seniors.

Outside of the established group of youngsters (Dempster, McVeigh, Malceski etc) I think the next big thing is Laidlaw. Seems to have heaps of poise for a young man, used the ball (and read the play) very well. I expect him to make the break through next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Minkus_Swan said:
Outside of the established group of youngsters (Dempster, McVeigh, Malceski etc) I think the next big thing is Laidlaw. Seems to have heaps of poise for a young man, used the ball (and read the play) very well. I expect him to make the break through next year.

I voted for "other" with Laidlaw in mind. Looks to have all the tools. Just needs to continue to work on his fitness. Should definitely debut in 2007 and may be part of the answer to releasing Kennelly further up the ground, if the coaching staff feel so inclined.

The poll is a bit of a mixed group and Malceski really shouldn't be on it. He should be vying with McVeigh, LRT, Dempster etc as the one most likely to become a top 10 player.

liz said:
I voted for "other" with Laidlaw in mind. Looks to have all the tools. Just needs to continue to work on his fitness. Should definitely debut in 2007 and may be part of the answer to releasing Kennelly further up the ground, if the coaching staff feel so inclined.

The poll is a bit of a mixed group and Malceski really shouldn't be on it. He should be vying with McVeigh, LRT, Dempster etc as the one most likely to become a top 10 player.

Yeah, Malceski has already earned himself a permanent position in the team, where as the others still have alot to prove before getting to that level.

liz said:

If you dont mind can you tell us a bit more about Laidlaw?

Has to be Tim Schmidt - Erikson lucky to stay on list, Malceski is already established, Willoughby hasn't stepped up at all, Moore body shape wrong, Vogels and Grundy have shown their form but will always only be in the 22

Thornton consistently appeared in the best players every week. Brabazon looked OK in the practice matches but had injury problems. Laidlaw appears a genuine chance.

Whoever, we need a few to stamp themselves in 2007 purely and simply to keep building our bottom line. 4 newies in 2007 and we lost the GF by 1 point. Expect a few more to force their way into the top 22.

grimlock said:
Moore is severely underrated by many people here. He will improve and slot into the midfield.

I think you might be right. Lightning fast hands. :thumbsu:

Yeah they need to give some of these kids a crack this year, the best way to help their development is to give them games in the highest level, even if they are not ready.

SWANNIES RULE said:
Yeah they need to give some of these kids a crack this year, the best way to help their development is to give them games in the highest level, even if they are not ready.
Fine in theory, but assuming no injuries, that means someone has to be dropped. Presumably Roos wants Couch back in the side, so who goes out for him and the 'kids'?

Simon Phillips.It is evident that he has plenty of athletic ability I don't like saying this but my honest opinion is he is far too small for footy at this level.I know people are saying he'll be doing a big pre season with plenty of weights over summer but coming through the TAC cup he has been doing these for years now.Also his height is another concern...hopefully he is still growing.
Hopefully I am wrong here but I just have a gut feeling.

Back