Younger players

Who do you think will really step up in 07?

• Tim Schmidt

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Andrew Ericksen

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Earl Shaw

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simon Phillips

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Heath Grundy

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Luke Vogels

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Jared Moore

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Nick Malceski

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • Josh Willoughby

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • OTHER- Brabazon, Thornton, Laidlaw etc.

Votes: 9 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

smasher said:
Simon Phillips.It is evident that he has plenty of athletic ability I don't like saying this but my honest opinion is he is far too small for footy at this level.I know people are saying he'll be doing a big pre season with plenty of weights over summer but coming through the TAC cup he has been doing these for years now.Also his height is another concern...hopefully he is still growing.
Hopefully I am wrong here but I just have a gut feeling.

He's 19, i don't think he'll be growing height wise anymore.

One player that has big raps from the coaching staff is Kieran Jack. Appeared consistently in the best over the second half of the ACTAFL season, including the Grand Final win. He is a very determined kid, quick and strong. Don't be surprised if he is elevated off the rookie list and does a Paul Bevan circa 2004. If he continues to improve his foot skills, could be another local success story.

natlovestheswans said:
Fosdike? No, he is seriously so underrated. He does his job week in and week out and hardly ever gets any credit.
Fosdike????????? You are kidding. Pick a game, any game and watch him rack up the turnovers. Better still, get the GF tape, watch him kick it straight to a West Coast player in the third term as the commentary team can't believe he butchers it. Having been at the game and seeing this unfold in front of me as he had a short option (think it was Buchanan) between centre and 50 and Magic out wide inside 50 on a two on one and he bounces it - and I think he bounces it again. They are in 50 metres of space and he holds the ball.

Brain transplant and then you keep Fosdike.

Doyle - showed he was up to it in the GF. Least he made a contest against Cox.

Shake down the thunder said:
Fosdike????????? You are kidding. Pick a game, any game and watch him rack up the turnovers. Better still, get the GF tape, watch him kick it straight to a West Coast player in the third term as the commentary team can't believe he butchers it. Having been at the game and seeing this unfold in front of me as he had a short option (think it was Buchanan) between centre and 50 and Magic out wide inside 50 on a two on one and he bounces it - and I think he bounces it again. They are in 50 metres of space and he holds the ball.

I can't recall the incident and i don't plan on watching the GF to see it but the fact of the matter is that a bunch of our players had poor games in the GF. Many of them kicked it to Eagles players, made silly turnovers..

I was at the game too and from what i remember, i don't recall Fosdike even being that bad. I think he's had a very good year. I don't care what you say..

Shake down the thunder said:

I remember that well - running in from the wing in space and having two players on one as an option and he kicked it straight to the West Coast player. Very painful.

But I also remember how much he has improved in the last 3 seasons, including that near BOG performance in the 2005 GF.

I also remember that incident, that was the worst **** up of the game by a mile. And it is very painful when your team is trying to reduce a deficit. We had a 3 on 1 in our favour and he kicked it straight to the Eagles bloke (Hunter), it was truly unforgiveable.

There was talks of Fosdike being traded to Adelaide last week, I am dissapointed we didn't trade him because we would of got a 2nd round pick I think.

SWANNIES RULE said:
I also remember that incident, that was the worst **** up of the game by a mile. And it is very painful when your team is trying to reduce a deficit. We had a 3 on 1 in our favour and he kicked it straight to the Eagles bloke (Hunter), it was truly unforgiveable.

There was talks of Fosdike being traded to Adelaide last week, I am dissapointed we didn't trade him because we would of got a 2nd round pick I think.

He made a mistake. Add him to rest of the team who made mistakes the entire game. Have you forgiven Luke Ablett for what he did last year? Every single player out there would have been giving it their all, you have no right to say that what anyone did was "truly unforgiveable". Argh.

But Fosdike was all on his own, with plenty of time, not much pressure on him at all and he kicked it to an Eagle when we had 3 loose men. That was the worst mistake of the last 2 grand finals, especially considering he is a senior player.

SWANNIES RULE said:
But Fosdike was all on his own, with plenty of time, not much pressure on him at all and he kicked it to an Eagle when we had 3 loose men. That was the worst mistake of the last 2 grand finals, especially considering he is a senior player.

He's human. Everybody makes mistakes. Barry Hall missed 2 easy shots on goal. Do you think he ment to miss? Do you think Fosdike ment to kick it to an Eagles player? No.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SWANNIES RULE said:
Yeah I know it wasn't his intention but it was the worst mistake of the GF IMO.

Like i said, i can't recall the incident. I was at the game, so it probably didn't happen near me so i didn't see it that clearly. But it doesn't matter how bad it was, he didn't mean to do it.

SWANNIES RULE said:
Yeah I know it wasn't his intention but it was the worst mistake of the GF IMO.

There were lots of mistakes in both. How you can pick one and say it was the worst is beyond me.

Regardless whether Fosdike did kick it to a WCE player or not. I think he is a valuable player and is underrated. Don't focus on his mistakes in the GF, at least 10 players played and made mistakes.

And about not forgiving Fosdike, thats a load of bull. After all, footballers can play soooo well they would still make mistakes. It's a give and go, and Fosdike is such a valuable player and has played great games this season.

He has so much potential. Go Fozzy! :)

liz said:
There were lots of mistakes in both. How you can pick one and say it was the worst is beyond me.

He had half of the field to himself, had all of the time in the world and turned it over. That is why it is worse.

SWANNIES RULE said:
He had half of the field to himself, had all of the time in the world and turned it over. That is why it is worse.

And Hall had two shots at goal that normally he'd kick with eyes closed. And missed them both.

That's true but there is more pressure on you when you are taking a set shot than when you are running down the wing by yourself with plenty of options to kick to.

SWANNIES RULE said:
That's true but there is more pressure on you when you are taking a set shot than when you are running down the wing by yourself with plenty of options to kick to.

Barry Hall is our captain, he is our leading goal kicker.. he's expected to perform when the pressure is on more then anyone.

I have been watching Moorey since his junior days at Langwarrin.He was winning games off his own boot at the age of ten.He,like some others had to make the choice between footy and cricket and I think the the Swans will be very glad he chose footy.He's a smart kid as well,already has a uni degree.He has signed a three year contract so the hierachy must see something.

I haven't read this one for a while but thanks for the real footy fans who know a dud when they see one - Fosdike. Close to BOG in 2005 GF because WCE didn't bother to man him up. It a sad day when you play on the biggest stage in the land and the opposition doesn't even bother to give you respect. I'm happy to be proved wrong but just pick a game, any game and you can count the turnovers and don't ask him to man up. My son in U9's could break his tag with a "look at that"!

As a hypocrite though - his left handed handball in the 2005 GF to TK on the run under extreme pressure was absolute class. I actually think it sums up the problem - no time to think he is OK. Give him time he couldn't find two blokes in 50m of space. If you don't recall this moment in the 2006 GF you aren't a fan and definitely weren't at the game where it stood out like dogs .....

As for Luke Ablett in 2005 - it was a mistake so back off! If you have two guys in 50m of space and don't hit them it doesn't matter if your a bit off as they still get it. When you kick it down the throat of the only defender in the postcode its a joke! Ablett and his hammy was as potent as Fosdike in the 2006 GF - end of story.

I haven't read this one for a while but thanks for the real footy fans who know a dud when they see one - Fosdike. Close to BOG in 2005 GF because WCE didn't bother to man him up. It a sad day when you play on the biggest stage in the land and the opposition doesn't even bother to give you respect. I'm happy to be proved wrong but just pick a game, any game and you can count the turnovers and don't ask him to man up. My son in U9's could break his tag with a "look at that"!

As a hypocrite though - his left handed handball in the 2005 GF to TK on the run under extreme pressure was absolute class. I actually think it sums up the problem - no time to think he is OK. Give him time he couldn't find two blokes in 50m of space. If you don't recall this moment in the 2006 GF you aren't a fan and definitely weren't at the game where it stood out like dogs .....

As for Luke Ablett in 2005 - it was a mistake so back off! If you have two guys in 50m of space and don't hit them it doesn't matter if your a bit off as they still get it. When you kick it down the throat of the only defender in the postcode its a joke! Ablett and his hammy was as potent as Fosdike in the 2006 GF - end of story.

Dude, shut up about being a 'real fan'. I don't think Fosdike is a dud and clearly either does Paul Roos. Oh no, we aren't 'real fans'. Please..

Back