Prediction Your 2019 Best 22? (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully our best 22 by the end of the year is a little differently from round 1. ...

-BEST 22 BY END OF 2019-
FB: Marchbank , Jones, Williamson
HB: Docherty, Weitering, SPS
C: Obrien, Cripps, Setterfield
Fol:Kruezer, Dow, Fisher
HF: Murphy, C.Curnow, Pickett
FF: Fasolo, McKay, McGovern
INT: Kennedy, E.Curnow, Stocker, Walsh
2019 trade targets
Star midfielder- coniglio
Small forward- Rioli type
Running back- a line breaker Johannisen mould.

I hope Cuningham, Garlett, Macreadie, Lang and Schumacher are pressing for selection in the 22. I have Polson, TDK and Kerr mainly developing in the VFL (and in all likelihood Schumacher and
Macreadie) in season 2019.

We are doing really well if Plowman is pushed out of the 22, trade bait if that happens ...

I think Williamson and Docherty are the running backs who can set up play. What we need is a small defender who can play on the small forwards.

Small forward ... I know he has his issues and could play wing if he makes it, but imagine if Pickett makes it as a small forward. Quietly hoping Lebois gets up there too. But we can certainly do with another one on the list and was hoping last week SOS would draft or Rookie one late ...

Just looking at a few of the backlines and thinking round 1 who plays on Tom Lynch???

Jones is probably our best bet but has struggled the last few times and Lynch has torn us apart admittedly he played very loose and needs to be coached not to at times.

But Weitering, Marchbank and Plowman I don't think have the strength. Might change after pre season.

Without Rowe our big lock downs are BSOS, Macredie and H Goddard.

Maybe I am missing something though :)

I just noticed that 15 of that 22 are first round draft picks and there 2 more in the emergencies plus a couple of more Garlett and Thomas the in the 2’s.
I'd love for us to remove the notion of 'being proud' of having so many first round draft picks. It means nothing in the long run. Discuss each player's strengths and weaknesses, but stating their draft pick is a useless conversation which leads to complacency, expected entitlements and expected results based upon nothing.

Just looking at a few of the backlines and thinking round 1 who plays on Tom Lynch???

Jones is probably our best bet but has struggled the last few times and Lynch has torn us apart admittedly he played very loose and needs to be coached not to at times.

But Weitering, Marchbank and Plowman I don't think have the strength. Might change after pre season.

Without Rowe our big lock downs are BSOS, Macredie and H Goddard.

Maybe I am missing something though :)

Weiters has put on some serious upper body size this off-season. Expecting him to go with Lynch inside 50, Jones to cover Riewoldt, and Marchy to play a little looser on the third tall (if they have one) and go third man up where possible. Marchy to trail Riewoldt up the wing if necessary, as he has the tank to get up and back throughout the game.

Gonna be a tough prospect though, given we don't know how Richmond will set up, nor how they'll be looking to deliver the ball forward. Though that may work in our favour, as Richmond might be a little disorganised and slow to adapt as well.

Best case scenario is we dominate the midfield battle though, and limit their forward 50 entries full stop. Force them to react to us.

Pickett’s nowhere near our 22. It doesn’t seem like it means much to him. We’re obviously filthy with him - hope he can turn his career around.

Plowman Weitering Docherty
Simpson Marchbank LOB
Fisher Cripps SPS
McGovern Curnow Murphy
Fasolo McKay Lang

Kreuzer Setterfield Walsh

Dow E.Curnow Thomas Kennedy

EMG: Philips, Stocker, Williamson, Newman

Last edited:
Weitering Jones Simpson
Docherty Marchbank Plowman
O'Brien Setterfield Williamson
McGovern C.Curnow SPS
Fasolo McKay Thomas

Kruezer Cripps Murphy

Dow Fisher E.Curnow Kennedy

This is really hard - if all fit, I can't get Walsh or Stocker into the team.

Newman definately a chance to be in the team instead of Williamson or OBrien early in the season.

Can't find room for J.Silvagni amongst others.

I reckon Pickett, Lang and J.Silvagni will play less than ten games combined next season.

Really don't see anyone else who can play small forward, if Pickett is not even putting in an effort to stay fit.

Bugg, Cunners?

Thomas into the forward mix and another mid onto the bench?

Fisher or SPS into the forward mix, LoB to the wing, Newman or Willo to HBF?

Not sure the benefits of playing an ordinary player in a niche position outweigh those from rotating better players through that position and bringing in a higher quality player.

But hey - it's all food for thought.

Simmo Jones March
Doc Weiters Newman
Daisy Crippa Ed
Murph Charlie MK
Fas Gov Harry

Krueze Paddy Setters

Fish SPS Lob Walsh

Unlucky: Plow Bugg Willo Cunners Stoker

If our primary goal is to win football games then our best engine room is Kreuzer - Cripps - Murphy - Curnow.

Kennedy, SPS, Dow, Walsh & Setterfield can get the starting place when they deserve it ahead of one of the aforementioned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Much harder task this week than last.

Suspect Bugg will play early and often. We are light on for small defenders and pressure forwards...he's a plug and play fit for both.

Williamson, Jones, Docherty
Simpson, Weitering, Marchbank
Fisher, SPS, Newman
Murphy, Curnow, McGovern
Fasolo, McKay, Bugg

Kreuzer, Cripps, Dow

Fisher, Plow, Setterfield, Ed, Kennedy, LOB, Walsh

Something like that...speed and skill on every line.

Last edited:
Much harder task this week than last.

Suspect Bugg will play early and often. We are light on for small defenders and pressure forwards...he's a plug and play fit for both.

Williamson, Jones, Docherty
Simpson, Weitering, Marchbank
Fisher, SPS, Newman
Murphy, Curnow, McGovern
Fasolo, McKay, Bugg

Kreuzer, Curnow, Dow

Fisher, Plow, Setterfield, Ed, Kennedy, LOB, Walsh

Something like that...speed and skill on every line.

No Crippa Kramer?

So many in the mix now, here goes.
Conservative Best 22

Simpson, Weitering, Plowman
Docherty, Marchbank, Williamson
Murphy, Cripps, O'Brien
Fasolo, Curnow, Fisher
McGovern, McKay, Petrevski-Seton

Kreuzer, Kennedy, Dow.

Newman, Curnow, Setterfield, Walsh.

Questions.
Such a difficult exercise, does Jones get a spot for the "gorillas"? Does Daisy's experience and smarts earn him a role?
Can Stocker command a spot from round 1? Does a determined Jack miss a spot due to his own versatility?
Polson found more composure late last season, done enough? Cuningham plenty of ability and pace, in the mix when fit?
TDK showing plenty, can we fit him in to fast track? Where does the experienced hard nut Bugg fit in?
LeBois has some vocal supporters, can he elevate? Pickett, if he get's fit, where does he fit?
Can Macreadie develop his body to showcase his talents, always looks underdone? Is Goddard more than "insurance"? Last taken.
Where does Lang fit? Played one eye catching finals game for Cats, haven't seen the same intensity before or since. Talent
is not necessarily enough. Has "it" but needs to find top gear more consistently.

Statements
Kerr is going to give some serious food for thought, so determined, and his talent is undersold by many.
Schumacher going to put some pressure on as the season progresses, can he make the step?
Garlett will ultimately show his ability, and I am confident with confidence in his shoulder will stake a claim.
BSOS, O'Dwyer and Owies doubtful to see senior action in the coming season.
Lobbe and Phillips, both capable back up, to fight for survival. Sauce needs to stay on park or this will be his final year.
Casboult in need of a miracle with all of the young talent coming through. Even great form will struggle to get him a game.
As a proven goal kicker Fasolo given first bite in front of other small forward aspirants.
Backing the class of Setterfield to quickly come to the fore. With Walsh, first shot at development spot. Body (Setterfield)
looks a bit soft as yet. Newman not making a lot of proposed squads, surely his spot to lose based on our determination to get.

The twos - Carlton listed only
Schumacher, Jones, Macreadie
Thomas, Goddard. Garlett
Lang, Stocker, Cuningham
Pickett, Casboult, Bugg
De Koning, Kerr, LeBois

Lobbe, Silvagni, Polson.

Silvagni, Owies, Phillips, O'Dwyer.

Last edited:
Small/medium forwards could be a combination of Bugg/Fasolo/Stocker/Polson/Fisher.

Not sure what's happening with Pickett at the moment. Hope he gets some continuity :)

Have a feeling Bugg will play a lot of footy this year.

Simpson Weitering Plowman
Docherty Marchbank Williamson
Murphy Cripps E.Curnow
Fasolo C.Curnow Petrevski-Seton
Fisher McKay McGovern
Kreuzer Kennedy Dow
Setterfield Walsh O’Brien J.Silvagni

Depth: Macreadie Jones Newman Thomas Cuningham Stocker Garlett Pickett Kerr De Koning Casboult Lobbe
Bugg Polson
Only change for me would be stocker/picket for Jsos.

I've gone through all the players that I think should be best-22 by end of 2019.

There's 29 of them :oops:o_O:drunk:

Good signs!
were times this year that would have been our pool to pick from all up.........

Getting tough to get so many into our best 22. A number of players stiff to miss out.

Backs: Simpson Marchbank Plowman
H-Backs: Docherty Weitering Williamson
Centres: Setterfield Cripps Dow
H-Forwards: Walsh C.Curnow McGovern
F-Forwards Fasolo McKay SPS
Rucks Kreuzer Murphy E Curnow

I/C: Fisher Kennedy LOB J.Silvagni

Getting tough to get so many into our best 22. A number of players stiff to miss out.

Backs: Simpson Marchbank Plowman
H-Backs: Docherty Weitering Williamson
Centres: Setterfield Cripps Dow
H-Forwards: Walsh C.Curnow McGovern
F-Forwards Fasolo McKay SPS
Rucks Kreuzer Murphy E Curnow

I/C: Fisher Kennedy LOB J.Silvagni
That comment reminds me of 2012 when we thought we were going somewhere. Lets wait until we have some wins on the board before the bold statements

All fit and firing, my R1 squad:

FB: Plowman Jones Marchbank
HB: Doc Weitering Newman
C: Murphy Ed Fisher
HF: McGovern Charlie SPS
FF: Pickett McKay Fasolo
R: Kreuze Cripps Setterfield

I: Simpson, Dow, Walsh, Thomas
E: Kennedy, Bugg, Williamson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back