Prediction Your 2019 Best 22? (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

There are so many options that when you do a best 22 it is so flexible and has so many combinations

B: Docherty Jones Marchbank
HB: SPS Weitering Williamson

R: Kruezer Kennedy Fisher
C: Walsh Cripps Simpson

HF: Setterfield Charlie Dow
F: McGovern McKay Murphy

Int: Curnow O'Brien Plowman Newman

There are so many others I could easily include but this is just one option. Many players can play other spots and rotate. Flexible defence and lots of goal kicking options. Great midfield with depth

When you think I haven't included Stocker Cuningham Macreadie Bugg Goddard Silvagni TDK Lang Kerr Garlett Pickett LeBois Polson Fasolo Phillips it is an impressive line up. Competition for spots means so much

ok i'm going to take realistic look at 2019 and make a broad assumption that any mid is ineffective until their third year and any tall ineffective until their fourth. now this a broad assumption but whatever...

so these guys are probably no-contributors to wins

Walsh, Stocker, Dow, Macreadie, Kerr, Dekonig, Bsos, O'brien

and i'm throwing Setterfield in there this year as he's a virtual rookie.

there's some legit talent still to slot in but our talls should be pretty competitive from this year onward.

we should be very exciting in periods this year... as opposed to being pretty unexciting for much of this year.

Simpson Weitering Plowman
Docherty Marchbank Williamson
Murphy Cripps E.Curnow
Fasolo C.Curnow Petrevski-Seton
Fisher McKay McGovern
Kreuzer Kennedy Dow
Setterfield Walsh O’Brien J.Silvagni

Depth: Macreadie Jones Newman Thomas Cuningham Stocker Garlett Pickett Kerr De Koning Casboult Lobbe
Bugg Polson

Got to laugh.....I see your name and think “why is he posting without informing us of inside info”

It’s like you’re.....not allowed.

Marchbank Jones Simpson
Docherty Weitering Williamson
Petreski-Seten Cripps Fisher
Murphy McKay C. Curnow
Fasolo McGovern Bugg
Kruezer Dow E. Curnow

Setterfield Newman Thomas Walsh

Doc said just a few days ago he'd be spending most of his time in defence, where he's needed. I'm expecting around 20 mins per match in the middle, and feel that's best for the group.

Docs great strength is his read of play and ability to hit up targets further down the field in order that we play through the right avenue. We will miss all that if he goes into the guts. I would rather have a more robust, evolved 2017 defence that has the ability to rebound effectively, than merely add one extra number to our midfield. 2 years ago we identified a desperate need to increase our midfield run through extra rotations. We now have the players that can perform that task a lot better than when we had Kerridge and others. I really think playing Doc in the midfield , whilst it has superficial attraction, is not the best use of his talents and out lists

Docs great strength is his read of play and ability to hit up targets further down the field in order that we play through the right avenue. We will miss all that if he goes into the guts. I would rather have a more robust, evolved 2017 defence that has the ability to rebound effectively, than merely add one extra number to our midfield. 2 years ago we identified a desperate need to increase our midfield run through extra rotations. We now have the players that can perform that task a lot better than when we had Kerridge and others. I really think playing Doc in the midfield , whilst it has superficial attraction, is not the best use of his talents and out lists

Forward drive and setups come off the HB line …… CRITICAL decision makers need to fill this role …. gone is yesteryears approach that every player that didn't have a set position played off HB to "find form/touch" …. utter tripe.

Doc plays like a midfielder anyway. Crush's comments are right that it is a critical position when setting up our attacks. With Doc & Willo we have two weapons and Weitering is a good ball user. It's why I would like to see another runner with class out of defence. SPS Garlett Cuningham may be good attacking options

Good sign of depth. The problem here is picking a team of players based on what we “expect” they can bring to the table in terms of their talent, against their output week in, week out. We have so many damn good talented players and if they can consistently bring their A-game then we’ll have some strong depth.

That aside, we are building healthy cover in all areas. Only concern is the ruck. Kreuz is number 1, TDK is still too young and learning the craft and Lobbe is our number 2 but without Kreuz we lose that extra midfielder

Doc plays like a midfielder anyway. Crush's comments are right that it is a critical position when setting up our attacks. With Doc & Willo we have two weapons and Weitering is a good ball user. It's why I would like to see another runner with class out of defence. SPS Garlett Cuningham may be good attacking options

SPS should not be in the back half (terrible kicking whilst down back year too, minimal metres gained as well) & DC is not a defender.

We do need to draft a running backman however with tidy disposal.

Doc, Weiters & Willo for mine as the HB line then extra smalls/rebound will come from Simpson, Newman, Schumacher (may surprise) + Thomas (but ideally not) with Plowman Mr Inbetween but a fav at selection committee in years gone. Really thought Plow should have been trialled as Doc’s full-time replacement last season to improve that area for him & the team with an eye moving forward.
Marchbank needs to improve greatly with his disposal to better balance out the defenders.

FB: Plowman - Jones - Marchbank
HB: Docherty - Weitering - Williamson

Dont disagree . But are you saying that we count him in the midfield when he is playing off half back? I was more discussing playing him as an inside mid at stoppages- of which I am not in favour of.

Haven't posted since 2013 but been constantly lurking on here throughout that time. Felt compelled to come out and give this a shot.

I've had a go at my round 1 team. Different layout to the way the teams are presented on the afl website. I've picked 22 players and placed them where they will largely play or rotate through instead of naming a bench. I think it shows more balance in the team on paper.

Seniors
B:.....................Jones..........Plowman
B:..................Marchbank......Docherty
B:...........Williamson.....Weitering........Simpson
C:...................E.Curnow.......Kennedy
C:.....O'Brien.....Kreuzer..........Cripps........Fisher
C:...................Setterfield.........Dow
F:..............Murphy........C.Curnow........P-Seton
F:....................McGovern........Bugg
F:.......................McKay.........Fasolo

Defenders really pick themselves in my opinion. Newman just edged out, will play plenty of games and is first in line in the 2s.

Would've liked a bit more balance and speed in the middle, would've like to find a place for Walsh who i think will play. Maybe instead of O'Brien or Setterfield... very interesting dilemma, same with Dale Thomas. Ideally I'd put Zac Fisher in the centre square group as well.

Tall forwards pick themselves. Bugg and Fasolo to provide some experience and balance, Polson was a consideration here, I think he'll be a gem but will have to work his way into the team through form. Murphy and SPS will heavily rotate through the middle, but also provide good service coming into F50.

Reserves
B:...................B.Silvagni............--
B:...................Macreadie.....Schumacher
B:..........Newman........Goddard.........Pickett
C:.....................Stocker.......J.Silvagni
C:....Thomas.......Lobbe..............--...........Garlett
C:......................Walsh............Lang
F:.........Cuningham......De Koning.......Polson
F:........................Kerr..........O'Dwyer
F:.....................Casboult........LeBois

E: Phillips, Owies

I'd like to see our final rookie spot used on a small defender, a nuggety back pocket type. I think we're a little thin here. Dont really want to see blokes like Thomas, Cuningham, Garlett and Pickett pinch hitting deep in defence, or Simmo or Willo for that fact.

I dont trust Phillips' body, and we'd be too top heavy with him in the 2s side anyway. Owies projects to be a small forward/ half forward which is pretty well covered in the 2s, so may have to bide his time if we have a full list to pick from.

Looks like we'll have options this year, hopefully we get a good run with injuries and players make the most of their chances.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any right or wrong answers with this. It really will come down to form and fitness. There are a lot of players we just don't know what they can do when they are fit and of age. Spots will be fought out.

I think we will have to select our backline based on matchups. There will be a lot of different structured forward lines around this season. Some really tall, some smaller and quicker. I think Simpson, Williamson and Docherty are locks every week. The other three spots will come down to Marchbank, Jones, Weitering and Plowman. Even Macreadie may stick his nose in there. I see Marchbank playing every week as he's versatile and plays at a high level. I think we will be hoping Weitering plays each week on the biggest forward. Just depends whether there is a matchup for Jones or Plowman I think.

The midfield will need to find it's balance between being too slow and too young. Cripps, Murphy, Setterfield and Curnow are locks. I think SPS, Walsh, O'Brien and Dow will become locks. Fisher is a lock as a forward/mid. Kennedy, Stocker and Lang are probably on the border.

I would not be at all surprised to see both Walsh and Stocker play round 1. We really rate them, they have appeared to have arrived ahead in their development and they have top level skills and speed. Speed being the key factor. That may put them ahead of some of the more senior borderline players.

Forward line is interesting. McGovern, McKay and Curnow are locks there. There are spots there for smaller players. I think Fisher will be a lock there as an elite small forward who can pinch hit on the ball. I've seen people suggest that we need to find a Cyril/Daniel Rioli or should have drafted Rankine. Well I think Fisher is every bit as good. Lots of names pushing for those other spots but I think they need to bring pace and ideally pressure. Fasolo, Pickett, Garlett, Thomas and Cuningham are all options here. I think it will be Polson who gets a spot. I think development wise he's fine, he's up there with players who have turned out really good but I think he gets a go ahead of the rest because of his pressure. He brings it and brings it well. Fasolo will probably get the other spot on his quality and Pickett is probably trying to compete with he and Polson but is a long way behind at this stage.

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing our young players get to play in more outside positions. I would like to see us changing the team to suit the opposition each week. I can see us changing between Jones and Plowman at times just because of matchups. I think the players will have to pick themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like there will be a lot of tough decisions come Thursday when teams are released tbh. On merit I don’t think Williamson/Dow/Walsh/Setterfield/O’Brien/Pickett make the team.

But if I was naming a side to aim for round 12 to have a good crack at the post bye rounds, my side would be:
B: Docherty Weitering Williamson
HB: Simpson Marchbank Newman
C: O’Brien Cripps Fisher
HF: Murphy C. Curnow SPS
F: Bugg McKay McGovern
R: Kreuzer Dow Walsh

I think that best 18 wins you half of the post bye round games. Murphy can hit the scoreboard, I think SPS has legitimate goal sense too and can play a season up forward as he’s still pretty skinny. Bugg applies pressure but can also crash packs which Polson can’t do (Pickett is a fair bit behind the 8 ball but if he can develop some better training habits and start kicking goals in the VFL he gets another year for mine) plus he’s a good run with player so I think it’s possible he’s best 22 anyway perhaps as a backup to Ed Curnow.

Setterfield and Pickett as mentioned before are two guys who I could definitely see in the future of the Blues but need continuity before anything can be said of them. M.Kennedy, Faz, Plowman, De Koenig could probably be subbed in for certain guys in that best 18 depending on form. Bench would be E.Curnow, Daisy +2 next best in form players.

Thomas Macreadie Plowman
Simpson McGovern Newman

Pickett Kennedy Marchbank
Jones Docherty Charlie

Fasolo Kreuzer Kennedy
McKay Cripps LeBois

Garlett Cuningham Casboult Finbar

Plowman Weiters Simmo
Docherty Marchbank Willo
SPS Cripps Setterfield
McGovern Curnow Fisher
Murphy Mckay Fasolo

Kruezer Dow Kennedy

Newman, Macreadie, Cuningham, Walsh (O'Brien)

Make it happen!

11th

My Guess: Round One

Docherty Jones Plowman
Marchbank Weiteirng Newman
Murphy Cripps Simpson
Dow Charlie Bugg
McGovern McKay Walsh
Kruezer Kennedy Curnow
Fisher Thomas SPS Williamson

End of 2019 towards 2020 & finals

Garlett Macreadie Marchbank
Docherty Weitering Williamson
SPS Cripps O'Brien
Charlie McKay Setterfield
McGovern Kerr Fisher
Kruezer Kennedy Dow
Plowman Walsh Murphy Stocker

Thought about it a bit and, at the moment, I'm in favour of holding back Williamson, Setterfield, and SPS from round 1. They can build up match fitness in the VFL and made to earn their spot in the AFL team. Newman, Thomas, and Bugg (lol) take their places in the round 1 team.

FB: Marchbank, Jones, Plowman

HB: LOB [or Newman], Weitering, Simpson

Weitering, Simpson and LOB [or Newman] to provide drive from D50. Jones, Marchbank and Plowman to intercept/ defend.

C: E Curnow, Setterfield [or Kennedy], Fisher

Ed to do his tagging thing. Setters to play a traditional centre role. Fisher to provide speed and drive.

HF: SPS, C Curnow, Murphy

Murphy and SPS to roam up the ground around F50 (ditto Charlie).

F: Fasolo [or JSOS], McKay, McGovern

One small and 2 marking talls. Main issue is a lack of forward pressure here, with none of those three noted for giving much. McKay is backup ruck (leaving Gov and Charlie as the main F50 targets) if Kruezer needs a spell/ goes down.

R: Kruezer, Cripps, Dow

Speak for themselves. Cripps can rest in the F50, freeing up one of SPS or Murphy into the guts.

Int: Williamson, Stocker, Walsh, Thomas

Willow can play in a number of roles, as can Thomas [both players can rotate through the middle, half forward and half back lines]. Stocker and Walsh to rotate through the midfield/ centre (along with SPS and Murph when required).

We have a bit of game day wriggle room with Gov able to bolster the D50 if we need an extra tall down there.

Thought about it a bit and, at the moment, I'm in favour of holding back Williamson, Setterfield, and SPS from round 1. They can build up match fitness in the VFL and made to earn their spot in the AFL team. Newman, Thomas, and Bugg (lol) take their places in the round 1 team.

We could be surprised with the number of more mature bodies chosen.
Simmo, Murph, Thomas, Ed, MK, Jones, Fasolo, Newman, Bugg

Genuinely difficult to pick a side at the moment.

I had settled on a best 21 prior to the Docherty news, with that last spot extremely tough to fill, so opted to leave it open and dependent on preseason form and matchups.

B: Plowman - Jones - Simpson
HB: Docherty - Weitering - Marchbank
C: LOB - E Curnow - Newman
HF: McGovern - C Curnow - Murphy
F: Fisher - McKay - Fasolo
R: Kreuzer - Cripps - Dow
Int: SPS - Kennedy - Walsh - ?

I suspect many will suggest Newman as the logical replacement for Doc but I already had him in our side. Think he's a good solid footballer and someone who has largely been underrated on here.

Will be interesting to see how we replace Doc in the side, given the above. We could simply opt to move Newman to the back half & add another mid to the side, or we could replace Doc with a similar type, currently out of the side.

Mid - Lang, Setterfield, Stocker, JSOS, Garlett, Polson, Pickett
HBF - Williamson, Thomas, Cuningham, Macreadie, Schumacher

Would think they are the main options, currently out of my side, and I suspect we would go with Thomas given his experience.

This is what I thought our best 22 would look like before Doc going down

Plowman Jones Marchbank
Docherty Wetering Newman

Krezuer Cripps Kennedy
Dow E Curnow Williamson

McGovern C Curnow Murphy
Fisher McKay SPS

LOB Simpson Walsh Setterfield

And now

Plowman Jones Marchbank
Simpson Wetering Newman
Dow E Curnow Williamson
McGovern C Curnow Murphy
Fisher McKay SPS
Krezuer Cripps Kennedy
LOB Walsh Setterfield ????

Unsure of that last spot, a list of contenders

Thomas, Bugg, Pickett, Garlett, Polson, Jack, Macreadie, Stocker, Fasolo, Lang, Cuningham

Preseason games will be a good guide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back