Prediction Your 2019 Best 22? (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

B: Plowman Jones Weitering
HB: Thomas Marchbank Simpson
C: Walsh Cripps Newman
HF: Murphy Curnow Fisher
F: McGovern McKay Fasolo
R: Kreuzer Kennedy Dow
IC: Curnow Bugg SPS Setterfield
The least “sexy” but I think that’s the closest to our best side (Proven). Maybe LOB for Setterfield and I’d be probably changing a couple positions.
Hopefully as the year goes on there will be a fair few changes to it as people EARN their spot

The least “sexy” but I think that’s the closest to our best side (Proven). Maybe LOB for Setterfield and I’d be probably changing a couple positions.
Hopefully as the year goes on there will be a fair few changes to it as people EARN their spot

Comes down to gameplan I guess. Hopefully we see a full set of fit players and have a game plan that win us games. Game plan is the be all and end all 2019 IMO.

But in terms of talent and growth and balancing youth with experience I think it stacks up as good as the best out there.

If kids are not top 5% of the elite of the elite then the VFL is the place where they can hone their craft, develop their bodies and tanks no shame making debuts at 20-21 years old and then holding their spot. But yeah - competition for positions will be alot tighter. Interesting to see what happens at round 10.

What is a passmark in terms of wins first 10 rounds? 1-2-3? I have four wins as passmark Anything less I would nit pick the game plan.

Richmond MCG
Port Adelaide Adelaide Oval
Sydney Marvel Stadium
Gold Coast Metricon Stadium
Western Bulldogs Marvel Stadium
Hawthorn University of Tasmania Stadium
North Melbourne Marvel Stadium
Collingwood MCG
GWS Sydney Showgrounds Stadium
St Kilda Marvel Stadium

SPS is top 5 in our team for tackles and that is multiples better than some others. Speaks to his efforts and desire . When we play well (early Richmond game and Suns last year) it all goes through him. Without a doubt for me he is our most skilful and creative player with the Fish. Best kick to inside 50 we have. Must play for me.
I agree...SPS very sensible,he has not tried to push his limits too hard or even play outside them,while the slow build continues.
Will easily make round one.....looking toned and some weight increase at pre season so far.
I see SPS as future leader.......

Comes down to gameplan I guess. Hopefully we see a full set of fit players and have a game plan that win us games. Game plan is the be all and end all 2019 IMO.

But in terms of talent and growth and balancing youth with experience I think it stacks up as good as the best out there.

If kids are not top 5% of the elite of the elite then the VFL is the place where they can hone their craft, develop their bodies and tanks no shame making debuts at 20-21 years old and then holding their spot. But yeah - competition for positions will be alot tighter. Interesting to see what happens at round 10.

What is a passmark in terms of wins first 10 rounds? 1-2-3? I have four wins as passmark Anything less I would nit pick the game plan.

Richmond MCG
Port Adelaide Adelaide Oval
Sydney Marvel Stadium
Gold Coast Metricon Stadium
Western Bulldogs Marvel Stadium
Hawthorn University of Tasmania Stadium
North Melbourne Marvel Stadium
Collingwood MCG
GWS Sydney Showgrounds Stadium
St Kilda Marvel Stadium

4 games agreed a pass. Wonder if these were the same four i was thinking ?? Would love to stick it to Richmond Rd 1 though...

Current line of thinking re best 22. Back 6 varies deepening on opponent, effectively swapping Thomas and Jones. The 'smaller' 6 can always move McGovern back mid-game if needed.

Taller def:
FB: Plowman, Jones, Newman
HB: Marchbank, Weitering, Simpson

Shorter def:
FB: Plowman, Weitering, Newman
HB: Thomas, Marchbank, Simpson

Upfield:
C: Murphy, Cripps, E Curnow
HF: Petrevski-Seton, C Curnow, Fisher
FF: McGovern, McKay, Fasolo
FOL: Kreuzer, Kennedy, Dow
INT: O'Brien, Williamson, Setterfield, Walsh

Emg: Lobbe, Macreadie, Cuningham, Pickett

I agree...SPS very sensible,he has not tried to push his limits too hard or even play outside them,while the slow build continues.
Will easily make round one.....looking toned and some weight increase at pre season so far.
I see SPS as future leader.......
Out of all our mids he would puts on soooo much pressure and his tackles stick as well, brings down people much bigger than himself.
Breakout time in 2019 hopefully, if that Collingwood game can become the standard watch out.

Current line of thinking re best 22. Back 6 varies deepening on opponent, effectively swapping Thomas and Jones. The 'smaller' 6 can always move McGovern back mid-game if needed.

Taller def:

Shorter def:

Upfield:

Lovin' the analysis. A realistic, adaptable Best 22

Taller def:

Shorter def:

Upfield:

We have to talk about Dale!

I know there are a lot of posters with Thomas in their best 22 but for me he does not make it, unless for injuries during the season.

I feel Thomas is too slow for half back, can’t get any seperation and so kicks under pressure, simply transferring the pressure to a team mate. This then leads to turnovers. He only landed two tackles a game in 2018. He is average in our team overhead and is a less than average kick, in terms of creativity and effectiveness.

In the forward half his lack of pace creates no pressure as the opposing team exits and as above he gets little seperation for his average marking. He is not a reliable kick for goal.

Surely this is the year with a best 22 fit and our new recruits and returning players, we go past him, forward and back.

He is wily and great around the club I believe. He has experience, but I don’t believe these qualities warrant him playing best 22 with the limitations above.

Pre-XMAS attempt at a round 1 best 22:

FB: Plowman, Jones, Marchbank
HB: Simpson, Weitering, Newman
C: Curnow, Murphy, O'Brien
R: Kreuzer, Cripps, Dow
HF: Fasolo, Curnow, Fisher
FF: Bugg, McKay, McGovern
I/C: Kennedy, Williamson, SPS, Walsh

I think we'll take a slightly more mature side into round 1. The value of an unheralded win against a premium opponent is too great a lure. So Setters, Stocker, Polson, Schumacher, Macreadie and Lebois (who I think could stake solid claims as the year progresses) may miss the cut at the start of the year.

The one sticking point is that I'd love to squeeze Garlett in to provide some dash on the wing, but I'm loathe to drop anyone else. Perhaps Willo makes way if there's any inkling his body needs to be managed. I like Willo's aggression though, and feel that Garlett hasn't really shown enough yet to demand a spot.

Pickett could be in the frame too, but he'd want to have a big preseason.

Make a big statement in round one, and then carry that momentum as long as possible introducing more kids as the opportunity presents and their fitness allows.

Doc plays like a midfielder anyway. Crush's comments are right that it is a critical position when setting up our attacks. With Doc & Willo we have two weapons and Weitering is a good ball user. It's why I would like to see another runner with class out of defence. SPS Garlett Cuningham may be good attacking options

I heard today that Willo is currently going about 80% capacity, so with Docherty out hopefully he can build on that over the remainder of the pre-season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we'll take a slightly more mature side into round 1. The value of an unheralded win against a premium opponent is too great a lure. So Setters, Stocker, Polson, Schumacher, Macreadie and Lebois (who I think could stake solid claims as the year progresses) may miss the cut at the start of the year.

The one sticking point is that I'd love to squeeze Garlett in to provide some dash on the wing, but I'm loathe to drop anyone else. Perhaps Willo makes way if there's any inkling his body needs to be managed. I like Willo's aggression though, and feel that Garlett hasn't really shown enough yet to demand a spot.

Pickett could be in the frame too, but he'd want to have a big preseason.

Make a big statement in round one, and then carry that momentum as long as possible introducing more kids as the opportunity presents and their fitness allows.

And yet you go for Walsh & O'brien of Setterfield? IMO your 22 isn't far off the mark but I would have Setterfield in for Bugg or Fasolo.

As I said above Willo is still not going 100% so he may be a doubtful starter but there is a long way to go.

And yet you go for Walsh & O'brien of Setterfield? IMO your 22 isn't far off the mark but I would have Setterfield in for Bugg or Fasolo.

As I said above Willo is still not going 100% so he may be a doubtful starter but there is a long way to go.

Yep, O'Brien had a really good year in 2018 and should continue to improve, while Walsh is reportedly one of the best prepared kids to land at a club in recent years. Both are renowned endurance runners, so I'm happy for them to be two of the kids that make the cut. I'm not saying we don't play youth, I'm just saying I don't think we'll go overboard on it given the available players.

Setters has played 2 career games and is coming off an ACL. Time for him to impress, but I think a couple of games in the VFL would do him some good, just to get some real contact happening.

Fasolo, if fit, is well and truly best 22. Bugg is the new Lamb, he'll play because he's an aggressive small forward who can kick goals and get under the skin of opposition players. Every team needs a few pricks, he's one.

I heard today that Willo is currently going about 80% capacity, so with Docherty out hopefully he can build on that over the remainder of the pre-season.
One of Russell’s big strengths is getting people to peak at the right time, he spoke about it often at Hawthorn.

For Rd One I don't think that will be far off. Judging by training Garlett & Cuningham will be well in the mix.

Darcy Lang seems to be a forgotten warrior in our best 22.

Hope he's getting a full preseason. Am really keen to see if he can elevate to the next level.

Has played some high quality football. Just needs to do it more consistently.

Round 1 midfield match ups vs Richmond.

Cripps vs Martin
Murphy vs Prestia
Ed Curnow vs Cotchin (tagging/negating role)
Kennedy vs Grigg
Bugg vs Edwards (tagging/negating role)

Reckon if a few things go our way and players can remain fit, we could potentially match Richmond in the midfield.

The biggest question will be how we limit the influence of their forward line.

Marchbank Jones Simpson
Docherty Weitering Williamson
Petreski-Seten Cripps Fisher
Murphy McKay C. Curnow
Fasolo McGovern Bugg
Kruezer Dow E. Curnow

Setterfield Newman Thomas Walsh

Gotta change my team now Doc is out for the season.
Newman steps straight into his position on the ground leaving one bench spot free.
The three Im thinking of are O'brien, Kennedy and Plowman.
O'Brien would be a handy in but I think Walsh looks set to play a similar role, perhaps with more damage.
Kennedy would add to the midfield rotations but I see his inability to play through injury Brock McLean like. Hopefully a fit Kennedy will move well and prove me wrong.
So Plowman it is.
One defender out, one in.

Marchbank Jones Simpson
Newman Weitering Williamson
Petreski-Seten Cripps Fisher
Murphy McKay C. Curnow
Fasolo McGovern Bugg
Kruezer Dow E. Curnow

Setterfield Thomas Walsh Plowman

Last edited:
B Moving ATM, Alas!, Not enough love
HB Hello … , T1000, Gramps
C Kid Rock, Beast, Nemo
HF DD, Brokeback, Smurf
FF Hans, HmmmK, Mortein
Fol Croozin, Quads, Face on Meth

Bench The Saddler, Push the little, Willo tit Willo, Federer

Darcy Lang seems to be a forgotten warrior in our best 22.

Hope he's getting a full preseason. Am really keen to see if he can elevate to the next level.

Has played some high quality football. Just needs to do it more consistently.

I have yet to ever see him play high quality football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back