Prediction Your 2019 Best 22? (Post Trade Period)

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Plowman - Marchbank - Simpson

Newman - Weitering - Williamson

O'Brien - Kennedy - Murphy

Fisher - Curnow - McGovern

Fasolo - McKay - Bugg

Foll: Kreuzer, Cripps, E. Curnow

I/C: Cuningham, SPS, Walsh, Dow

Em: Setterfield, Thomas

Ok, Jones out and the Plow in.

Dow replaces Daisy. Our reserves team will be looking good!

ha, ndnb, goes to show we are getting to the stage where putting a best 22 together is harder and harder - at least you had a go not like some (me) who just pot your efforts! when the hawks were winning their flags they had maybe one suss player floating about I reckon - schoenmaker was the hawk supporters' whipping boy - can't wait until we are at that point - good effort - poor daisy - wonder if he will hang about after his career finishes?

Jul 5, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
I also don't rate Daisy - sure he can get some kicks, he is smart enough but the problem is those kicks are not good enough - I think we need creative, line breaking half backs otherwise we will continue to be a team who just don't convert on the scoreboard, the only reason he will play games is because he is smart and some kids may not get the structure/ game plan.

I have reflected on Daisy as like most of us I don't have him in my best team, and didn't have him in my team last year but he played.
I hope this year Newman, Williamson or someone else can stop Daisy playing down back but could Daisy be sent forward as a senior head in our forward line and capture the form of old?

As I mentioned above we are screaming out for a small forward who can kick a goal and applies pressure and I will give him credit he can apply pressure when he is fit and switched on.

Check out his stats summaries - I note he has been playing all over the ground with Carlton but imagine if he could kick a goal a game, lay 4 tackles and two 1%ers up forward. His 1%ers jumped this year maybe due to confidence returning in the body. I would be okay if he gets a game in 2019 but just not in the backline and so maybe Fasolo, Bugg and Daisy will be fighting it out up forward for a spot??
IMG_1451.jpg

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
I think he is more than handy with the ball but just as importantly its his endeavour and direction that is showing the young ones whats required. Cant put a price on that stuff and we are deperately short of experienced leaders by example. I think he has played through pain and desperation many times the last two years and if it wasnt for that hurried kicking he would be much more highly regarded.

hard not to love him - just haven't seen a whole lot of consistent impact from him since he came across - he is one of those blokes that is priceless when it comes to his effect on the younger players around him - he sells self-belief which we need in bucketloads at the moment - which is probably a little ironic when you consider his own demons in the early games especially against the pies - I don't expect a lot from him in games now, and it is pointed that some of the things we recall he has achieved in navy are recalled for the simple reason there hasn't been a lot of them - the baulk, the smother etc..........would love love love him to stay around the club when his career is over

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
........would love love love him to stay around the club when his career is over

One would think you've only got 9 months to wait to see the answer to that one.

He rents a holiday house at the beach, across the road from my place. Also had a block in the same town which he has just sold.

Not definitive I suppose, but it's consistent with a guy getting his ducks in line in advance of a change in financial circumstances.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I have reflected on Daisy as like most of us I don't have him in my best team, and didn't have him in my team last year but he played.
I hope this year Newman, Williamson or someone else can stop Daisy playing down back but could Daisy be sent forward as a senior head in our forward line and capture the form of old?

As I mentioned above we are screaming out for a small forward who can kick a goal and applies pressure and I will give him credit he can apply pressure when he is fit and switched on.

Check out his stats summaries - I note he has been playing all over the ground with Carlton but imagine if he could kick a goal a game, lay 4 tackles and two 1%ers up forward. His 1%ers jumped this year maybe due to confidence returning in the body. I would be okay if he gets a game in 2019 but just not in the backline and so maybe Fasolo, Bugg and Daisy will be fighting it out up forward for a spot??
View attachment 601795
You want him rotating HF to wing. That's always been where he does his best work.

resolute_blue

Team Captain
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cleveland Cavaliers
This is tricky as = wonderful signs of our depth. Happily I can’t fit them all in. Anyway, here is my attempt.

FB: Plowman Marchbank Newman
HB: Simpson Weitering Williamson
C: Fisher Dow SPS
HF: Murphy CCurnow McGovern
F: Bugg McKay Fasolo
FOLL: Kreuzer Cripps Kennedy
INT: O’Brien Thomas ECurnow Walsh

Emg: Garlett Cuningham Setterfield

•Admittedly Jones is likely to play but keen to see what we can do without him and his unpredictability. So I’ve left him out of my team and it’s my team so I can basically do what I want :D
•Speed, skill and grunt through the midfield with bench cover. This allows Murph to play forward permanently hopefully increasing his longevity in the game.
•Mix of experience, mongrel and excitement in the fwd line.
•Garlett and Setters both massive chances to make the team early in the year.
•Thomas in the team. Doesnt start but still handy enough. Kinda bleeds navy blue these days - let’s get him to his CFC 100 games this year.

Carlton1234

Debutant
Jul 13, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
This is tricky as = wonderful signs of our depth. Happily I can’t fit them all in. Anyway, here is my attempt.

FB: Plowman Marchbank Newman
HB: Simpson Weitering Williamson
C: Fisher Dow SPS
HF: Murphy CCurnow McGovern
F: Bugg McKay Fasolo
FOLL: Kreuzer Cripps Kennedy
INT: O’Brien Thomas ECurnow Walsh

Emg: Garlett Cuningham Setterfield

•Admittedly Jones is likely to play but keen to see what we can do without him and his unpredictability. So I’ve left him out of my team and it’s my team so I can basically do what I want :D
•Speed, skill and grunt through the midfield with bench cover. This allows Murph to play forward permanently hopefully increasing his longevity in the game.
•Mix of experience, mongrel and excitement in the fwd line.
•Garlett and Setters both massive chances to make the team early in the year.
•Thomas in the team. Doesnt start but still handy enough. Kinda bleeds navy blue these days - let’s get him to his CFC 100 games this year.
You could put Jones on the emergency as you need 1 more player. How good will it be to get Docherty and Pickett back later on in the year!!

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Murphy borderline for finals 2020 but would be happy if he makes it. Cuningham was a mistake. Should be in (hopefully)

As for LeBois that's just my wish. Long odds though
I just don’t think Lebois can run, isn’t quick enough (to be clear I call ‘running’ what Ed, LOB and Walsh do - just ridiculous numbers of repeat effort runs: some guys can ‘run’ but are not quick, and vice versa) and I’m honestly surprised they persisted with him.

Can’t win them all. I’m delighted with (almost all!) the rest!!

windows1

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
but russell was s**t........
I called it first. Got hated on here for it. He fumbled. A bad disease for a footballer and about as hard as ‘lack of pace’ to over come. Immediately removes you as a midfield option and scares the s**t out of fans, coaches and team mates alike if a fumbler plays backline. Seemed a good guy.

Lucas just couldn’t kick. Simple as that really. Never fixed it. Had an action as bad as Lonzo Ball’s jump shot.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
I just don’t think Lebois can run, isn’t quick enough (to be clear I call ‘running’ what Ed, LOB and Walsh do - just ridiculous numbers of repeat effort runs: some guys can ‘run’ but are not quick, and vice versa) and I’m honestly surprised they persisted with him.

Can’t win them all. I’m delighted with (almost all!) the rest!!

Generally rookies take longer to develop because they have more deficiencies in their game.

I'm glad we've persisted with him.

Better to be sure and give him every opportunity to make it than have regrets later on.

Kind of a reason why I want Hugh Goddard to come good. Think the Saints let go of him too early.

Zatoichi Blue

Plays best in the wet
Nov 26, 2016
Tootgarook
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cincinatti Bearcats
Let the likes of Goddard, TDK, Kerr, Gibbons, LeBois, Schumacher, etc....keep their nose to the grindstone during this pre-season. It's only early Jan and we on BF are putting in our wish-list for Best 22....there is still 2 solid months+ of training/preparation/match simulation/game-plan meetings/more training/intra-club matches/closed sessions/community camps ahead. The above players (and more) must be hurting, hearing that NO-ONE rates them nor their chances of being a solid SENIOR Carlton perfomer.

Might be an unpopular opinion here, but for the love of the Blues, can we talk UP the chance of all of the players on our list. They need all the help/support/positivity/"Bound by Blue" attitude they can get in this important year. Not knocking the Best 22 submissions so far (I too have formulated a Blues side in my head and heart), but those whom are on the "outer" and not getting a look in, still need HOPE to train the house down and impress and show ownership for a "spot" and buy into the gameplan (Game plan A preferably!!).

Cannot wait for Friday's hit-out, where we as a BLUE ARMY can show our love of the club and it's prospects this season.

Hoping all players can hold their heads high, give a good showing of where they are at and keep pushing forward as a unit.

No position should be locked in this early.....ANYONE should be able to hit the track, step up and see that their window is open to REPRESENT in '19!!

BlueRenaissance

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Let the likes of Goddard, TDK, Kerr, Gibbons, LeBois, Schumacher, etc....keep their nose to the grindstone during this pre-season. It's only early Jan and we on BF are putting in our wish-list for Best 22....there is still 2 solid months+ of training/preparation/match simulation/game-plan meetings/more training/intra-club matches/closed sessions/community camps ahead. The above players (and more) must be hurting, hearing that NO-ONE rates them nor their chances of being a solid SENIOR Carlton perfomer.

Might be an unpopular opinion here, but for the love of the Blues, can we talk UP the chance of all of the players on our list. They need all the help/support/positivity/"Bound by Blue" attitude they can get in this important year. Not knocking the Best 22 submissions so far (I too have formulated a Blues side in my head and heart), but those whom are on the "outer" and not getting a look in, still need HOPE to train the house down and impress and show ownership for a "spot" and buy into the gameplan (Game plan A preferably!!).

Cannot wait for Friday's hit-out, where we as a BLUE ARMY can show our love of the club and it's prospects this season.

Hoping all players can hold their heads high, give a good showing of where they are at and keep pushing forward as a unit.

No position should be locked in this early.....ANYONE should be able to hit the track, step up and see that their window is open to REPRESENT in '19!!

Can see the positivity and fairness there Zat. But best 22 squads are just an opinion. Just how we see it. I dont see much in Jones, others do. It is fine to have either view and state it. Players like Kerr arent in our reckoning because he hasn't done enough to be in the best 22. That is not being negative at all. Mckay wasnt really in best 22 last pre-season but is locked and loaded this season.

We all make the assumption that all a fit and firing and then update asp layers fall by the wayside.

Each of us typically do pick a favourite for the I/C. Mine is Cuningham but it isnt Kerr, Lebois, Goddard, Casbault etc.

If you think the player's feeling are getting hurt, ask them personally if they would rather play with Cripps in the midfield or Lang. Would the players think of hurting Lang's feelings in this instance?

Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
ha, ndnb, goes to show we are getting to the stage where putting a best 22 together is harder and harder - at least you had a go not like some (me) who just pot your efforts! when the hawks were winning their flags they had maybe one suss player floating about I reckon - schoenmaker was the hawk supporters' whipping boy - can't wait until we are at that point - good effort - poor daisy - wonder if he will hang about after his career finishes?

Thanks mate.

With a full injury free list it really is hard to squeeze everyone in. In saying that I don't think we are close to a Hawks level of output on the field but we will be in the next few years. Just hope Bolts has the tactical nous like Clarkson. This is my only area of concern.

Regarding Thomas, he is a funny guy, real character around the club and is good for our culture IMO. We have lots of dour type personalities and Daisy balances it out and is good for the vibe.

Finally, Will Setterfield (if fit and injury free) is a genuine star. Emergency only because of his return from injury. When fit he could be a future Brownlow medalist. Watch this clip below and tell me he won't be a dominant force at AFL level.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Thanks mate.

With a full injury free list it really is hard to squeeze everyone in. In saying that I don't think we are close to a Hawks level of output on the field but we will be in the next few years. Just hope Bolts has the tactical nous like Clarkson. This is my only area of concern.

Regarding Thomas, he is a funny guy, real character around the club and is good for our culture IMO. We have lots of dour type personalities and Daisy balances it out and is good for the vibe.

Finally, Will Setterfield (if fit and injury free) is a genuine star. Emergency only because of his return from injury. When fit he could be a future Brownlow medalist. Watch this clip below and tell me he won't be a dominant force at AFL level.

Hopefully Setterfield is in full training now.

Maybe someone could confirm :)

I really want Setterfield to play round 1, but my guess is that he'll get the green light in round 4 as:

1. We can extend his preseason to make sure he's fully prepared after a long time out of the game.
2. Round 4 is against Gold Coast. Probably an easier game to work into than against say Richmond.

Eiffel 65

Cancelled
Sep 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gryffindor
Just did a video with my best 22 - LINK

Eddie Betts would be really handy right about now.

I think that's a fair assessment of our starting 22.

Cuningham would be competing for that spot in the forward line currently allocated to Lang.

O'brien will most likely try and push Thomas out of the side before the end of the season.

Kennedy will probably play round 1 instead of Setterfield. I'd imagine he'll be held back to make sure his body is good to go. If he's 100% fit, then someone will be unlucky at the selection table.

Back