Prediction Your 2019 Best 22? (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Marchbank Jones Newman
Plowman Weitering Simpson
Murphy Cripps Walsh
Cuningham CCurnow Fisher
McGovern McKay Fasolo
Foll: Kreuz ECurnow Dow
I/C: Kennedy SPS Thomas Bugg
Em: LOB Polson JSOS

Not much of a youth excuse (inexperience maybe) with that line-up tbh. Dow and Walsh the only players in their 1st or 2nd years.

Left field option.

Could Cam Polson become a Rory Laird type player?

Soapy , ive been banging on here for ages re giving Polson a shot at this position.
I like his pace and tenacity and i think his disposal will be good enough once he gains a little composure through experience.

Soapy , ive been banging on here for ages re giving Polson a shot at this position.
I like his pace and tenacity and i think his disposal will be good enough once he gains a little composure through experience.

Agree. Be interesting to see. May be better than trying him small forward?

I want to think you're right, but just don't feel it yet.
Given the talent he has, we shouldn't even be questioning him, but the transition to AFL life hasn't been as easy as most would have thought it would be.

I mentioned in my training observations how Walsh accepted a knock to his leg.
He was in pain and it was clear why he was in pain, but he didn't play it up. As a matter of fact he played it down and moved away where he couldn't be seen grimacing, only to position himself for the next tackle and he made that one stick too.
A little thing maybe, but a little thing that raised my admiration for him......Now for Weitering.

Agree HARKER , it hasnt all been smooth sailing for him and he's copped a fair dose of what is required to be an AFL player.
There have been concerning moments along the way but all players mature physically and mentally at different rates.
Towards the end of last season i saw signs that he had started to come to terms with it all , understood and accepted what is required.
There is no doubting the ability , if as i suspect , the penny has dropped , the self belief will follow and he will evolve into the player he was projected to become ...

I’m not a fan of this idea. Think Aaron Joseph. They clear out the forward 50 and left Joseph one out in the square where he got towelled (swan). Exactly what they would do to Polson. Goal, goal, goal....

I’m not a fan of this idea. Think Aaron Joseph. They clear out the forward 50 and left Joseph one out in the square where he got towelled (swan). Exactly what they would do to Polson. Goal, goal, goal....

Possibly ,
But the position needs to be filled and nothing to lose in trialing him at practise ...

Weitering will be our main man in defence for a decade. It hasnt all been smooth sailing for him to date and those early experiences may well hold him in good stead in the future. I feel he is about ready to take control and once he believes he is the main man there will be no looking back.
We have not seen a lot of Macreadie thus far but i like what i have seen. When he is ready i believe he is a long term part of the defence.
Plowman is versatile and team orientated , he's in.
Marchbank ticks all boxes as a long term member of the defence bar one , his body. If he gets that right we've got a beauty.
Docherty is automatic if/when available.
We need a quick , small defender to replace Simpson. Maybe its Garlett ? but it is a priority.
Williamson (if available) can replace Docherty for now but might ultimately play off a wing.
Jones , Newman , Bugg , Goddard can and will be played if and where needed.
B.Silvagni is the wildcard ???
So , the defence of the future :
small defender ? ... Weitering ... Marchbank
Plowman ... Macreadie ... Docherty
Pretty good summation there RB :thumbsu:

Seems to me that MacReadie is becoming a bit of a forgotten man, didnt help he seemed to be injured / recovering most of 2018. I am not sure what injury he had but really needs to be fit this year and pressing for a spot in the firsts.

INTRA-CLUB MATCH'S will give us a better indication of what/who/where our Best 22 could line-up this season

Gives those players without a "home" a chance to grab a position and own it. Could see players begin to re-invent themselves

Hypothetical GREY vs ORANGE ? whatever colour tops they may use......

GREY -------------------------------------------------------- ORANGE
B: Simpson, Jones, Newman------------------------------------F: LeBois, Lobbe, Lang
HB: Garlett, Weitering, Williamson ----------------------------HF: Bugg, TDK, Stocker
C: Murphy, Curnow, O'Brien-----------------vs---------------- C: Macreadie, Walsh, Setterfield
OB: Kreuzer, Cripps, Kennedy--------------------------------- OB: Phillips, Dow, Gibbons
HF: Fasolo, Curnow, SPS-------------------------------------- HB: Schumacher, Marchbank, Thomas
F: Fisher, McKay, McGovern----------------------------------- B: Polson, Kerr, Goddard

Probably missed someone...

Completely understand that some players are not match ready in their re-hab, so the above scenario is unrealistic I know.

But gives some players a fresh chance at a role position eg. Polson defending Fisher, Garlett on Bugg, Kerr on McKay, etc

Sure there are many more posibilities. Feel free to tweak and shift positions/teams. What would you like to see???

Which match-ups could see a certain player cement a position/role for 2019?

Last edited:
Left field option.

Could Cam Polson become a Rory Laird type player?

Does he have the run & carry game or the kicking penetration for it?

I haven't seen either yet, but perhaps in the case of the former it's because of the role he's been asked to play.

Just seems to me that if he's going to be used down back, he either needs to be able to break lines on the rebound, or roost it a little further than the 40m range he seems to have now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My preferences are different from what I think the side should be round 1, versus come the end of the year. But this is how I think it may look come round 1

Plowman Jones Simpson
Marchbank Wetering Newman

Krezuer Cripps Kennedy
Dow ECurnow Williamson

McGovern CCurnow Murphy
Fisher McKay SPS

INT: LOB Fasolo Walsh Bugg
EMG: Cuningham Thomas Setterfield Garlett

My preferences are different from what I think the side should be round 1, versus come the end of the year. But this is how I think it may look come round 1

Plowman Jones Simpson
Marchbank Wetering Newman

Krezuer Cripps Kennedy
Dow ECurnow Williamson

McGovern CCurnow Murphy
Fisher McKay SPS

INT: LOB Fasolo Walsh Bugg
EMG: Cuningham Thomas Setterfield Garlett

Solid attempt.

Definitely with you on Bugg slotting straight in. Fit, strong and experienced. Will be a starter in my opinion.

Jones, Marchbank and Weitering in defence concerns me a little. Very tall - not to mention Plowman down there as well. Will be interesting to see if Bolton goes with this during the year. I'm sure he will as he loves playing tall. Just hope we aren't exposed for speed, because Newman and Simpson aren't super quick either. Jayden Stephenson types with space would eat that defence alive. Still believe a small speedy defender is a priority for us without Docherty.

Solid attempt.

Definitely with you on Bugg slotting straight in. Fit, strong and experienced. Will be a starter in my opinion.

Jones, Marchbank and Weitering in defence concerns me a little. Very tall - not to mention Plowman down there as well. Will be interesting to see if Bolton goes with this during the year. I'm sure he will as he loves playing tall. Just hope we aren't exposed for speed, because Newman and Simpson aren't super quick either. Jayden Stephenson types with space would eat that defence alive. Still believe a small speedy defender is a priority for us without Docherty.

Garlett would certainly fill that breach, if he is disciplined enough to play a close checking defender's role

Think Polson is a bit pacier than Joseph. And actually his defensive stuff up forward has outshone his forward stuff up to now.

I think the reference to Joseph and Swan was about being outmarked in the square. Polson is 177cm and most resting midfielders are much taller with more marking talent. Swan (185cm and weight) over Joseph (180cm).

Garlett would certainly fill that breach, if he is disciplined enough to play a close checking defender's role

I'm hoping Garlett can be that player. As a junior he was dashing off half back at times and could use both right and left to hit targets. Didn't see it at all last year but hopefully Russell can get him feeling good about his body in 2019.

For round 1 and reading the training reports, you would have to think Setterfield, Marchbank, Williamson, Stocker, Pickett, Jones, McGovern, Docherty and Lang(?) have all had minor or major setbacks. I'd have wanted pretty much all of those players in our round 1 team except Stocker, Lang and Jones.

Think Setterfield, Marchbank and Williamson wont make the round 1 team. Docherty and Pickett obv out. Stocker needs time.

Taking out these players takes out some of ceiling we were hoping on.

Simpson.... Weitering....Plowman
Newman.. ....Jones.........?????
SPS.............Cripps........Murphy
McGovern....Curnow.......Fisher
Bugg...........McKay.......Fasolo

Kruezer.....Kennedy........Dow

I/C Walsh, Cuningham, Garlett, E Curnow

For round 1 and reading the training reports, you would have to think Setterfield, Marchbank, Williamson, Stocker, Pickett, Jones, McGovern, Docherty and Lang(?) have all had minor or major setbacks. I'd have wanted pretty much all of those players in our round 1 team except Stocker, Lang and Jones.

Think Setterfield, Marchbank and Williamson wont make the round 1 team. Docherty and Pickett obv out. Stocker needs time.

Taking out these players takes out some of ceiling we were hoping on.

Simpson.... Weitering....Plowman
Newman.. ....Jones.........?????
SPS.............Cripps........Murphy
McGovern....Curnow.......Fisher
Bugg...........McKay.......Fasolo

Kruezer.....Kennedy........Dow

I/C Walsh, Cuningham, Garlett, E Curnow

Easy. Thomas slots straight in to hbf. Played there a lot in 2018, and did well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Easy. Thomas slots straight in to hbf. Played there a lot in 2018, and did well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know you love the Thomas but I'm not that excited. 1 good season out of 5 and playing to prove a contract point.

Hope others push ahead of him. Would accept the point that he might have first dibs on the role given the setback to Docherty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back