Prediction Your 2019 Best 22? (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with all except Polson over Gibbons. Across all three games, Gibbons has easily outperformed Polson IMO. Gibbons also lead the team in pressure acts with 28 today. Next best was Cunningham with 19.

You may be right, but feel Cam is a real favorite of Bolts, and he impressed today whilst Gibbons was quiet, despite the pressure acts.

Don't think we can play both but will be interesting to see, as I said I have a feeling it will go in Cam's favour, but will not be unhappy either way.

Round 1 Best 22-

B: Newman - Jones - Plowman
HB: Simpson - Weitering - Garlett

C: Walsh - Dow - Fisher
FOL: Phillips - Cripps - SPS

HF: Murphy - Curnow - Cuningham
F: McGovern - McKay - Gibbons

B- Ed, Thomas, Setterfield, JSOS

End of year best 22-

B: Marchbank - Jones - Simpson
HB: Williamson - Weitering - Docharty

C: Walsh - Dow - O'brien
FOL: Kruezer- Cripps - SPS

HF: Fisher - Curnow -Cuningham
F: McGovern - McKay - Fasolo

B: Jsos, Murphy, Setterfield, Newman,

Emerg: Thomas, Ed, Garlett, Kennedy

Now that we have a (small) body of work, and with the return of Marchbank imminent, how do we structure?

I think Thomas, Newman and Simpson are a given (would be interesting discussion if Docherty available) and Jones and Weitering take the keys. That really leaves Marchbank and Plowman.

Marchbanks marking is outstanding and Plowmans strength is probably his kicking.

Ideally we manufacture a role where Plowman makes the inside 50 kick.

Marchbanks kicking is his weakness, so he needs to focus on defence!

I’m not convinced about the roles / combination of Fasolo, Polson, Gibbons, E Curnow.

And for the sake of my argument, I’ve conveniently forgotten Garlett who I think needs to be persisted with, I suspect he constitutes our speed.

Interesting times, and it will become more interesting when Williamson is fit again.

Now that we have a (small) body of work, and with the return of Marchbank imminent, how do we structure?

I think Thomas, Newman and Simpson are a given (would be interesting discussion if Docherty available) and Jones and Weitering take the keys. That really leaves Marchbank and Plowman.

Marchbanks marking is outstanding and Plowmans strength is probably his kicking.

Ideally we manufacture a role where Plowman makes the inside 50 kick.

Marchbanks kicking is his weakness, so he needs to focus on defence!

I’m not convinced about the roles / combination of Fasolo, Polson, Gibbons, E Curnow.

And for the sake of my argument, I’ve conveniently forgotten Garlett who I think needs to be persisted with, I suspect he constitutes our speed.

Interesting times, and it will become more interesting when Williamson is fit again.

I think a defence of

Plowman Jones Simpson
Marchbank Weitering Newman

Works if we have LOB Walsh SPS or Setterfield play wing and push back and help

Williamson makes it even better as does Doc. Maybe even Schumacher or Garlett

I’m hoping by years end Thomas & Simpson aren’t in defence and we are looking to the future and a settled defence that will develop together

Simpson Jones Marchbank
Newman Weitering Docherty
Walsh Cripps Williamson
Murphy Curnow Fisher
McGovern McKay Pickett

Kreuzer Setterfield SPS

Dow Cuningham Thomas Silvagni

Next season allowing for possible Simpson/Thomas retirements.
Obviously off season additions to be factored in upon arrival.

O’Brien Jones Marchbank
Docherty Weitering Williamson
Walsh Cripps Murphy
Cuningham Curnow Fisher
Pickett McKay McGovern

Kreuzer Setterfield SPS

Dow Silvagni Stocker De Koning

In : O’Brien Stocker De Koning
Out : Simpson Thomas Newman

Anyone thinking we haven't improved this year after a 2 win season look at our "Best 30" now

Def: Simpson Marchbank Weitering Jones Docherty Williamson Newman Thomas Garlett Plowman

Ruck: Kruezer

Mids: Cripps Kennedy Setterfield Walsh Dow O'Brien Gibbons Murphy Fisher SPS Ed Stocker

Fwd: Charlie TDK McKay McGovern Jack Cuningham Polson

and I couldn't fit in Macreadie Fasolo Pickett Phillips etc

and we will add another 5-6 players minimum at years end

AWESOME

Last edited:
Anyone thinking we haven't improved this year after a 2 win season look at our "Best 30" now

Def: Simpson Marchbank Weitering Jones Docherty Williamson Newman Thomas Garlett Docherty Plowman

Ruck: Kruezer

Mids: Cripps Kennedy Setterfield Walsh Dow O'Brien Gibbons Murphy Fisher SPS Ed

Fwd: Charlie TDK McKay McGovern Jack Cuningham McGovern

and I couldn't fit in Stocker Macreadie Fasolo Pickett Phillips Polson etc

and we will add another 5-6 players minimum at years end

AWESOME

You included Docherty and McGovern twice each so there’s room for Stocker and one other.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yet to find consolidate players favoured playing positions, but let's go with this for now -

Simpson Jones Marchbank
Docherty Weitering Williamson........then one of Plowman or Newman on the bench.

Kreuzer Cripps Dow
Walsh Setterfield SPS.....................then two of O'Brien, Kennedy, Stocker, Thomas on the bench.

Cuningham CCurnow Fisher
Murphy McKay McGovern................then one of ECurnow or Pickett on the bench.

Just can't include JSilvagni, Gibbons, Garlett, Lang or Polson. Still see them more as fillers than staple items, just for now.

Macreadie is the dark horse but may have to wait until someone gets injured before a call-up. Hard to usurp Jones, Weitering & Marchbank for now.
De Koning only because he'll take a little more time.
Agree with all of that except, I'd personally have Jack ahead of Kennedy for now. Good in the guts but also more versatile. Good things happen when Jack is involved in the game.

sorry to intrude, wondering about Setterfield likelihood of returning to the side in the near future?

Was surprised he was left out, is he likely in the next 1-2 weeks or could he find himself down the pecking order now?

sorry to intrude, wondering about Setterfield likelihood of returning to the side in the near future?

Was surprised he was left out, is he likely in the next 1-2 weeks or could he find himself down the pecking order now?
I think Setterfield showed enough glimpses in the first four rounds to suggest he's going to be a serious player in time. Unfortunately his fitness/running power and touch/disposal were probably both not quite at the level he will inevitably get towards from 2020 onwards. Gibbons' inclusion in the midfield rotations in Will's absence has actually improved the effectiveness of the midfield so it would've been difficult to bring him back in given that reality.

I'd like to see Will rack up 60 touches and 15 tackles over the next couple of VFL games and come back into the AFL side feeling super confident and cleaner with his disposal.

Most here have confidence Setterfield is a best 22 player.

Keep in mind he spent the best part of the preseason doing rehab for his ACL and has missed a lot of footy over the past few years.

This year is about getting games into him at both AFL and VFL level. I think we'll see a lot more of what he's capable of next year after a full preseason.

He will come back into the side soon, as I believe he is best 22. Thought he should have started the season build his game fitness and touch at VFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpson Jones Goddard
Newman Weitering Daisy
Walsh Setterfield C. Curnow
Kruz Cripps SPS
Silvagni Gov Fisher
Murphy McKay E. Curnow

Dow Marchbank Kennedy Stocker

If fit you would have Docherty, Pickett, Williamson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back