Prediction Your 2019 Best 22? (Post Trade Period)

V_23

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
First off, if this is too similar to other threads feel free to delete/merge it mods.

The 2018 trade period is done and dusted and was wondering what everyone's best 22 for round 1 next year looks like.

For the purposes of this exercise let's assume:

1. We draft Sam Walsh with pick 1 as many expect.

2. Every player is available for selection and is fully fit.

My best 22:

Plowman Jones Marchbank
Docherty Weitering Simpson
Williamson Walsh Fisher
Murphy C. Curnow McGovern
Fasolo McKay Petrevski-Seton

Kreuzer Cripps Dow

O'Brien E.Curnow Kennedy Setterfield

Unlucky to miss out are Thomas and Pickett.

CFC18

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
FB: Plowman Jones Weitering
HB: Doc Marchbank Williamson
C: O'Brien Curnow Fisher
HF: Murphy Curnow SPS
FF: McGovern McKay Fasolo
R :Kreuze Cripps Dow

I: Simpson, Kennedy, Newman, Thomas
E: Pickett, Lang, Lamb

Lamb - I think he will be redrafted and a regular as the non playing emergency ala Graham.

Pickett - He is in my best 22 but his finish to the year probably doesn't warrant a starting place without a big preseason. Out of him or Thomas and I'd go with the experienced player for Round 1.

Lang - I think we'll see him named as an emergency in the early rounds due largely to being mature, but I am not expecting to see him a great deal and don't hold out much hope. Similar to Kerridge this year.

Walsh - Wouldn't be surprised if we end up unveiling him Round 1 to create buzz, but otherwise with our young list I think we largely let him develop in the 2s for the first half of the season at least.

Setterfield - I'm assuming won't have a full pre-season, so let him build in the 2s given the competition for spots.

Macreadie - Supporters seem desperate for him to play but still young, more games than McKay at same stage. Think he starts behind Plowman, Jones etc. maybe in and out at times but will get his chance soon enough and probably locks in a spot closer to Round 22 ala McKay. Best 22 from 2020.

Silvagni - Needs to fight his way in. Battling with Fas/Newman for a place imo, and I'd think they earn first crack.

Cuningham - I would like him overtake Thomas/Simpson by the end of the year but has work to do. Probably shouldn't see him much first half of the year but I have hope.

De Koning/Schumaker - Will get games but both start in the 2s, more a prospect from 2020.

Polson/Garlett/Kerr/Lebois - Personal opinion is I don't have any near best 22 and not expecting that to change. Good luck to them all but down the pecking order for me.

Phillips/Lobbe/Cas - Depth, will get games when required.

Best 22 end of season I'd have/hope:
FB: Plowman Weitering Macreadie
HB: Doc Marchbank Williamson
C: O'Brien Setterfield Fisher
HF: Murphy Curnow SPS
FF: McGovern McKay Fasolo
R : Kreuze Cripps Dow

I: Cunningham, Walsh, Curnow, Pickett

What I'd like to see come round 1:

Plowman Macreadie Simpson
Docherty Weitering Marchbank.....No offence to Jones, but if Macreadie somehow had a magical pre-season, it's just what I'd like.

Kreuzer Setterfield Dow
Fisher Cripps O'Brien..................Will O'Brien be quick enough for centre square bounces though?

Pickett CCurnow Rankine
Murphy McKay McGovern............Doesn't Rankine and all being well, a fit Pickett just makes this forward line extremely difficult to counter?

ECurnow Williamson Thomas Petrevski-Seton

If Cuningham can be disciplined, he could yet make for a good wing-man in this new 6-6-6 format.
Pickett and Rankine could also be used on the wings for extra danger and possibly fire-power.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm hoping for something a bit different & Bolton tries to surprise in 2019. I think there are some hidden gems on our list that will show up by second half of the year

Pickett Macreadie Marchbank
Docherty Weitering Williamson

Kruezer Kennedy Dow
Cuningham Cripps O'Brien

Charlie McKay Setterfield
McGovern Kerr LeBois

Curnow Walsh Fisher Murphy
Plus: Newman Simpson Plowman Jones Lang Silvagni Polson Garlett TDK Schumacher

Like to see Pickett as a running defender. Tough and quick. Played that role as a junior.
Cuningham on a wing
Charlie part of midfield rotation. Having Charlie Setterfield Cripps & Kennedy makes us physically tough in the centre
Midfield depth and options that can play forward and kick lots of goals
Mobile defence with run and great ball use
Flexible forward line that can chop & change a lot

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm hoping for something a bit different & Bolton tries to surprise in 2019. I think there are some hidden gems on our list that will show up by second half of the year

Kruezer Kennedy Dow
Cuningham Cripps O'Brien

McGovern Kerr LeBois

Plus: Simpson Plowman Jones Lang Silvagni Polson Garlett TDK Schumacher

Soapman - your best 22 can't have 31 players in it ;)

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton

Kruezer Kennedy Dow
Cuningham Cripps O'Brien

McGovern Kerr LeBois

Plus: Simpson Plowman Jones Lang Silvagni Polson Garlett TDK Schumacher

Soapy, if LeBois and Kerr are in the team for round 1, I will eat thylacine60 hat

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Here goes:

FB: Plowman, Jones, Marchbank
HB: Docherty, Weitering, Newman
C: Curnow, Cripps, Murphy
R: Kreuzer, Kennedy, Dow
HF: Fisher, Curnow, Petrevski-Seton
FF: Fasolo, McKay, McGovern
I/C: Simpson, O'Brien, Williamson, Setterfield

That's my preference.

I think LOB, Willo and Setters may be unlucky for Round 1 though, and we might opt for a blend of experience and flexibility in their place - Thomas, Pickett and Lamb (if rookied). Suspect the club would love to get one on the board against the tide, we almost surprised Richmond this year and I see no reason why we wouldn't be able to do so next year with a more damaging forward line and a fit midfield group.

By year's end I want this:

FB: Plowman, Marchbank, Macreadie
HB: Docherty, Weitering, Newman
C: Williamson, Cripps, Fisher
R: Kreuzer, Setterfield, Dow
HF: Cuningham, Curnow, Petrevski-Seton
FF: Fasolo, McKay, McGovern
I/C: O'Brien, Kennedy, Murphy, Walsh

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
JSOS Jones Newman
Docherty Weitering Marchbank
LOB Cripps Simpson
McGovern C.Curnow Fisher
Fasolo McKay Samo
Kreuzer Kennedy Murphy
Dow Thomas Setterfield E.Curnow
Plowman Williamson Walsh

That leaves De Koning, Lamb, Lang, Schumacher, Garlett, Macreadie, Lobbe, Cuningham, Polson, Pickett, Phillips, Kerr, LeBois, Owies.

juddanaught09

Debutant
May 20, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
FB: Plowman, Jones, Newman
HB: Docherty, Weitering, Simpson
C: Murphy, Cripps, Setterfield
R: Kreuzer, Kennedy, Dow
HF: Fisher, Curnow, Petrevski-Seton
FF: McGovern, McKay, Fasolo
I/C: Marchbank, Williamson, Curnow, Thomas

Don't think O'Brien is in our best 22 yet, but might in Round 23.
Walsh will probably play round 1 but I don't know who he replaces.
People who think that Thomas isn't best 22 after his 2018 season (5th in the B&F) are delusional.

With a fit list and an easy draw we should be targeting 8-10 wins. I would be disappointed with 5 or 6 because we should've had that many this year without the injuries so I expect more given improvement from our younger players & 4 best 22 players traded in. I'm tipping Stk, GC and WB to be very poor and we should have 2 games against both.

Masqualero

Club Legend
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Simpson Marchbank Plowman
Docherty Weitering LOB

Kruezer Cripps Curnow
Fisher SPS Murphy

Thomas Curnow Dow
Fasolo Mckay McGovern

Kennedy Dow Newman Jones

Round 1 Prediction

Taking into account last years form has ruled out Garlett, Pickett, Lang and a couple others that may force their way in before round 1.

Brezsa

Club Legend
Mar 10, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I suck at this kind of stuff.

So rather than trying I’ll ask a question, it may not be a team sheet thing but with the new 6/6/6 rule, my gut tells me the two most important positions on the field at a centre bounce may be the wingers.

I can see teams using one to immediate drop back into defence (our loss interceptor) or using these players as the way to go forward (flick it to the winger in space to go forward) 6 inside 50 isn’t going to make 1 on 1 still most likely going to be 2 on 2 at a min with 6 being in there.

But these wingers are going to be in more space than anyone else, speed and ability to win 1 on 1.

The teams people have listed, are you thinking that those players are capable of that without being exposed the other way?

Jan 20, 2008
Bullengarook
AFL Club
Carlton

Kruezer Kennedy Dow
Cuningham Cripps O'Brien

McGovern Kerr LeBois

Plus: Newman Simpson Plowman Jones Lang Silvagni Polson Garlett TDK Schumacher

Like to see Pickett as a running defender. Tough and quick. Played that role as a junior.
Cuningham on a wing
Charlie part of midfield rotation. Having Charlie Setterfield Cripps & Kennedy makes us physically tough in the centre
Midfield depth and options that can play forward and kick lots of goals
Mobile defence with run and great ball use
Flexible forward line that can chop & change a lot

I like this mid group - big bodies led by the best in the business big body crashing thru oppositions. Unrelenting big body pressure feeding it out. I likey !

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
I suck at this kind of stuff.

So rather than trying I’ll ask a question, it may not be a team sheet thing but with the new 6/6/6 rule, my gut tells me the two most important positions on the field at a centre bounce may be the wingers.

I can see teams using one to immediate drop back into defence (our loss interceptor) or using these players as the way to go forward (flick it to the winger in space to go forward) 6 inside 50 isn’t going to make 1 on 1 still most likely going to be 2 on 2 at a min with 6 being in there.

But these wingers are going to be in more space than anyone else, speed and ability to win 1 on 1.

The teams people have listed, are you thinking that those players are capable of that without being exposed the other way?

We’ve noticed.:D

GordonBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
B: Plowman - Jones - Weitering
HB: Williamson - Marchbank - Simpson
C: Docherty - Murphy - Fisher
HF: McGovern - C Curnow - SPS
F: Fasolo - McKay - Pickett
R: Kreuzer - Cripps - Kennedy

INT: Ed - Thomas - Setterfiled - Dow
EME: LOB - Silvagni - Walsh

Next in line:
Newman
Casboult
TDK
Lamb
Lobbe
Polson
Garlett
Lang

Jul 5, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Best 22 for 2019 below on the assumption all injury free and it is not the Round 1 team.

Plowman Jones Marchbank
Docherty Weitering Newman
Williamson Cripps O'Brien
Murphy C. Curnow McGovern
Fasolo McKay Petrevski-Seton

Kreuzer Dow Fisher

Walsh E.Curnow Setterfield Pickett

Controversial - Simmo and Daisy not in our best 22 if all are fit and firing
Knocking on the door - TDK
Would Like to See - Cuningham injury free and forcing Ed out but not sure who would play lockdown role

Last edited:

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
0754A966-B3C8-45F1-9582-62D647C958AB.jpeg
9FADEBAC-294D-4538-B5A6-C542DFFE5B26.jpeg
Vs the Tigers, we’re due to topple them soon.

Back