Prediction Your 2019 Best 22? (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

My Ultimate Best 30 by Years end heading towards finals in 2020

Docherty Macreadie Marchbank
Garlett Weitering Williamson

Kruezer Kennedy SPS
Setterfield Cripps O’Brien

Charlie McKay Fisher
McGovern TDK LeBois

Int: Dow Walsh Plowman Jack Stocker Kerr Phillips Curnow Bugg Fasolo Newman Jones

Looks good Soapy but noticed no Murph listed here? Would of thought he’d still be in our best 22 next year let alone top 30.
A bit surprised to see LeBois on field but hope he can get to that level.
Also really hoping Cuningham makes it and think you posted recently he’s been training strongly. Definitely a make or break year for the kid though.

B: Lachie Plowman, Jacob Weitering, Kade Simpson
HB: Jack Silvagni, Caleb Marchbank, Nic Newman
C: Lochie O'Brien, Patrick Cripps, Zac Fisher
HF: Sam Petrevski-Seton, Charlie Curnow, Marc Murphy
F: Mitch McGovern, Harry McKay, Alex Fasolo
FOLL: Matthew Kreuzer, Paddy Dow, Ed Curnow

I/C: Sam Walsh, Dale Thomas, Matthew Kennedy, Will Setterfield.

Cover: Jones, Bugg, LeBois, Tom De Koning.

As for Cunningham, Williamson, Macreadie and Setterfield (who I made an exception for by placing on the bench) I can't justify placing on the field until they prove their bodies can handle the sport. Broken until proven otherwise.

The small forward line is the biggest concern to me (the young midfield is what it is, just needs time).
Seen some highlights of LeBois and he looks absolutely electric but minuscule. Does anyone know what his forward pressure/hunger is like?
I'm concerned about Fasolo in this regard but he is the only talented small/medium natural goalkicker on our list. Perhaps Daisy needs to be played forward but he might be too slow. I had hoped Pickett would be fit and hungry but that seems more like a dream than a plausible reality at the moment.

Also, I thought Jack Silvagni looked really comfortable down back last season when played there and think he looks like a great lockdown defender. Really hope he is given that responsibility and settled there.

Really hard to pick the best 22. But thought it might be fun.

Would be happy with something along the lines of this going into R1

B - Newman, Jones, Plowman
HB - Simpson, Weits, Marchbank
C - Willo, Cripps, LOB
HF- Murph, Charlie, Fisher
F- Faz, McKay, McG
R- Kruez, Kennedy, Dow

Int - Setters, Walsh, Bugg, Garlett

Looks good Soapy but noticed no Murph listed here? Would of thought he’d still be in our best 22 next year let alone top 30.
A bit surprised to see LeBois on field but hope he can get to that level.
Also really hoping Cuningham makes it and think you posted recently he’s been training strongly. Definitely a make or break year for the kid though.

Murphy borderline for finals 2020 but would be happy if he makes it. Cuningham was a mistake. Should be in (hopefully)

As for LeBois that's just my wish. Long odds though

Could be a fizzer...

I too was not excited by picking up Fasolo when it happened but I went back to my old friend YouTube and watched a few full game replays of the Collingwood VFL team last season. Boy was I impressed with him. He's actually quicker than I thought and applies good defensive pressure. Was an electric target up forward for their team last season and if he can straighten up his goal kicking, will be an awesome get for us.

Fas will be a great addition to the side, mark my words.

Murphy borderline for finals 2020 but would be happy if he makes it. Cuningham was a mistake. Should be in (hopefully)

As for LeBois that's just my wish. Long odds though

Thanks Soap,
Would be a bit gutting for Murph to miss out on finals if we do get there at the end of ‘20 given all the tough times he’s been through.
Would love for him to be a part of at least one more finals campaign before he hangs them up. I’m thinking a good injury run and perhaps playing predominantly in the forward line instead of the midfield will afford him that opportunity.

Newman was a prescient pickup ( now that Doch is out again) and if Fasolo performs to ability both plug some experience gaps in key positions that needed cover.
If the coaching staff can get some working system to get the ball out of defensive 50 and into the hands of some of the classy mids - it will be game on every game because Charlie /McGovern and Harry will be a handful for any defense.

I will be watching to see who is going to run the ball out of the defensive 50/who will be tasked with the kick in duties and who is capable of launching fast counter-attack with long kicks to advantage - saw none of this at AFL levels in 2018 - with the exception of LoB on occasions he was played back as a HBFer. No excuses for Weitering/Marchbank/Jones or Plowman from here on in - they've had enough time to settle.

A fit Kennedy/Ed/ Dow and Cripps alongside Kreuzer is all the grunt required to at least even up set play clearances - especially center ball bounces. I'm really excited to see a fit Setterfield announce himself in due course along with Stocker. Walsh/SPS/Fisher/Murphy should all be freed up for running and distributing duties in 2019 - I think we are well stocked with talent as receivers and runners.

Bolton's job is to get the best out of the talent assembled during a period of absolute misery over the last few years - I for one will be out of excuses for Bolton - given what he has to work with in 2019 compared to last year. Hopefully the so-called too complicated to understand game plan is ditched for a more accountable and freed up 'vibe' in 2019. I want the side to focus as much on scoring as defending - and the real pressure to be on midfield performances - plenty of blokes will be feeling the pressure to perform.

My side for round 1 - will be different to the side I hope will be playing each week after the bye...

Round One:

Plowman Jones Marchbank
Simpson Weitering Newman
Cuningham Cripps LoB
Kreuzer Kennedy Dow
Fisher Charlie Murphy
McGovern Harry Fasolo

IC: SPS, Walsh, Williamson, Thomas

I'm thinking the only player(s) who might change this line up due to preseason form and fitness might be: Garlett/Setterfield/SOJ for Cuningham/Marchbank

I'm very happy to think that Lobbe/Phillips will be fit and ready if /when Kreuzer goes down and even happier to think that some watchers who rate DeKonig highly might see him surprise everyone in 2019. I also suspect big Levi hasn't played his last AFL game - Harry will have to perform.

Those who think Thomas is is passed it- might get surprised to see a fit Thomas actually be more useful playing to a more talented midfield - he could have a huge year as a genuine utility - same for Murph.

8-10 wins is the benchmark : Suns/Saints/Norfs/Doggies/Fremantle/Brisbane - all winnable based on lists. Off days from Sydney/Hawforn see them added.

No excuses for blowout losses - they will be coach killers and rightly so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Newman was a prescient pickup ( now that Doch is out again) and if Fasolo performs to ability both plug some experience gaps in key positions that needed cover.
If the coaching staff can get some working system to get the ball out of defensive 50 and into the hands of some of the classy mids - it will be game on every game because Charlie /McGovern and Harry will be a handful for any defense.

I will be watching to see who is going to run the ball out of the defensive 50/who will be tasked with the kick in duties and who is capable of launching fast counter-attack with long kicks to advantage - saw none of this at AFL levels in 2018 - with the exception of LoB on occasions he was played back as a HBFer. No excuses for Weitering/Marchbank/Jones or Plowman from here on in - they've had enough time to settle.

A fit Kennedy/Ed/ Dow and Cripps alongside Kreuzer is all the grunt required to at least even up set play clearances - especially center ball bounces. I'm really excited to see a fit Setterfield announce himself in due course along with Stocker. Walsh/SPS/Fisher/Murphy should all be freed up for running and distributing duties in 2019 - I think we are well stocked with talent as receivers and runners.

Bolton's job is to get the best out of the talent assembled during a period of absolute misery over the last few years - I for one will be out of excuses for Bolton - given what he has to work with in 2019 compared to last year. Hopefully the so-called too complicated to understand game plan is ditched for a more accountable and freed up 'vibe' in 2019. I want the side to focus as much on scoring as defending - and the real pressure to be on midfield performances - plenty of blokes will be feeling the pressure to perform.

My side for round 1 - will be different to the side I hope will be playing each week after the bye...

Round One:

Plowman Jones Marchbank
Simpson Weitering Newman
Cuningham Cripps LoB
Kreuzer Kennedy Dow
Fisher Charlie Murphy
McGovern Harry Fasolo

I'm thinking the only player(s) who might change this line up due to preseason form and fitness might be: Garlett/Setterfield/SOJ for Cuningham/Marchbank

I'm very happy to think that Lobbe/Phillips will be fit and ready if /when Kreuzer goes down and even happier to think that some watchers who rate DeKonig highly might see him surprise everyone in 2019. I also suspect big Levi hasn't played his last AFL game - Harry will have to perform.

Those who think Thomas is is passed it- might get surprised to see a fit Thomas actually be more useful playing to a more talented midfield - he could have a huge year as a genuine utility - same for Murph.

8-10 wins is the benchmark : Suns/Saints/Norfs/Doggies/Fremantle/Brisbane - all winnable based on lists. Off days from Sydney/Hawforn see them added.

Great summary. Completely agree.
Add in Cats to the off day list and Bombers to the beatable teams.

Round One:

Plowman Jones Marchbank
Simpson Weitering Newman
Cuningham Cripps LoB
Kreuzer Kennedy Dow
Fisher Charlie Murphy
McGovern Harry Fasolo

Ed?!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great summary. Completely agree.
Add in Cats to the off day list and Bombers to the beatable teams.

I think Shiel is an awesome get for the bummers and along with a fit Daniher - who everyone loves to underrate - they will be a strong side.
Geelong? They are scratching and scrabbling to stay relevant alongside Hawforn and Sydney - too many good players to be an expected win - this year.

I think Shiel is an awesome get for the bummers and along with a fit Daniher - who everyone loves to underrate - they will be a strong side.
Geelong? They are scratching and scrabbling to stay relevant alongside Hawforn and Sydney - too many good players to be an expected win - this year.

Don't think Geelong are an expected win but they are the same as Dorks and Swans.

Really looking forward to hopefully a freer game plan and attacking footy from the baggers this year. 6-8 wins is a fair benchmark. Think with all the options we have in terms of depth it will make it very interesting to see it all mesh together.

where's my mongrel thread? or can't you find enough material to work with? ffs..........

where's my mongrel thread? or can't you find enough material to work with? ffs..........

We have to be very scientific and very precise about this matter - because there are a lot of people who think mongrel is a bad thing and that dietary fiber and wot not is what it is all about. You see there is the burden of Millenial Philosophies unburdened by actually ever having to go hungry for anything that overshadows every discussion about what it really takes to beat someone else who wants to win too.

We have to be very scientific and very precise about this matter - because there are a lot of people who think mongrel is a bad thing and that dietary fiber and wot not is what it is all about. You see there is the burden of Millenial Philosophies unburdened by actually ever having to go hungry for anything that overshadows every discussion about what it really takes to beat someone else who wants to win too.
Just for your info, there is no dietary fiber in nails #Mongreldiet

Best 22 going into Round 1

FB: LIAM JONES JACOB WEITERING TOM WILLIAMSON
HB: KADE SIMPSON CALEB MARCHBANK LACHIE PLOWMAN
C: SAM WALSH PATRICK CRIPPS LACHIE OBRIEN
HF: ZAC FISHER CHARLIE CURNOW MARC MURPHY
FF: PADDY DOW HARRY MCKAY MITCH MCGOVERN
R: MATTHEW KREUZER SAM PETREVSKI SETON MATTHEW KENNEDY
INT: JACK SILVAGNI WILL SETTERFIELD ED CURNOW TOM DEKONING
Why are you YELLING?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Round One:

Plowman Jones Marchbank
Simpson Weitering Newman
Cuningham Cripps LoB
Kreuzer Kennedy Dow
Fisher Charlie Murphy
McGovern Harry Fasolo

Completely agree on every front.

I actually have very little else to add.

It will be very interesting to see how we approach the new rules for this year. Who will be responsible for running the ball out of the square ? I think that's an area we may struggle in. With the new rules you want someone fast who has a long accurate kick.

Docherty would have been earmarked but now I'm thinking Willo or perhaps Garlett? Newman and Simpson are neat kicks but are not super quick or very long in their range. Lochie O'Brien will no doubt take a few but we lack players that Essendon have e.g. Saad and McKenna. Could do with Touhey back now please Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back