Universal Love Your 2019 Grand Final Story

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Final Day is such an amazing experience and I really would love to hear everyone's stories, as I'm sure there are some belters out there..

Did you go with love ones for the first time?

Get a late call up to the game?

Go to the punt road live site?

What was everyones day like?

I'll kick it off.

I'm fortunate enough that our memberships have the Grand Final guarantee ticket (nearly pulled the pin after 2016...)

So getting a ticket was sorted, fantastic.

Get to Wednesday night this week and we are at my in laws house for tea which we do each week, got some pizza. I get the Aussie with no onion (onion is s**t).

Wake up Thursday morning feeling a bit queezy, had a few toilet stops before heading into work.

Turns out that pizza claimed a few victims possibly..

Get to work and still not feeling good. Head home around 10:30 and I'm at the toilet every 20 - 30 minutes at this stage.

Made the call I'm not going to the parade on Friday cause I need to be right for Saturday.

Picking up Gastro / food poisoning 3 days out from a Grand Final is not good. I was in David Astbury 2018 territory.

As of Friday night before I went to bed, I wasn't going to the game. Shattered.

Slept through the night ok. Woke up at 7:00am, had some dry toast, had shower, had some hydrolyte and felt good.

Someone was looking out for me cause the worst of it had gone and I was able to go!

Head into crown for buffet breakfast with close family friends, I'm stuck eating dry toast while they have bacon, eggs, hash browns etc.

Even my 13 month old son was eating more than me..

Walk to the G, take our seats and I get to watch Richmond win in amazing style with my 13 month old son, very special moment.

Also slightly annoying I had to wait 31 years for my 1st Grand Final compared to his 13 months, but I wont hold it against him..

Catch up with more family, stay for the afterparty then we head to crown for some San Antone!

I couldn't give a * about the gastro by then, went the pulled pork burger and potato gems.

What a great day / night.

I live in Europe with my missus, and when I found out that my dad got 2 tickets in the ballot I made the emergency flight back to go to the game with my old man.

Couldn't care less about the jetlag or the cost of any of that. To be with the old man at the G and watch the tigs march to a premiership was a day I'll never forget.

Held onto my Maurice Rioli Club membership for dear life and got a category 4 ticket as my birthday present a couple of weeks early. I had a lot of family down in standing room but I'm really glad I got the seat, as it was an unforgettable experience. Had the pleasure of sitting next to Squibbs, although neither of us realised it at the time, wish I'd known sooner as I'd have been a bit more talkative! We had a blast commenting on the game together though. Only damper on the day was that I've got a nasty cold, but otherwise an awesome afternoon. In some ways it was a much more enjoyable experience than 2017, as my view was much better.

woke up
turn on tv
had lunch (can't remember what i had but still)
watch the usually pre-game bullshit, i was reading the record
mates came over
game started
first quarter: remember going my **** about riewoldt not being paid that mark
gws kick the first goal: oh *
two goals in the dying minutes: more screaming
second quarter: more screaming, call castagna "shotgun"
half-time: eating biscuits and dip and cheering on the beast in the sprint
third quarter: even more screaming, remember thinking '* why was i worried about pickett', neighbour was being a campaigner and burning rubbish
fourth quarter: pretty relax because we had won it, it felt really different to 2017 i was calm
mates had to leave because their boss is a campaigner
afterwards: watch the presentation and post-show, stated to read bigfooty
had bbq tea
went back to the bunker and started to buy mech
best

Got to the game at about 11:30am with the Mrs, she'd never been to a GF before (disclaimer: she barracks for Norf)
Told her this is what a crowd looks like...
Got a pretty good standing room spot in M21 right on the wing (not sure i'd do that again).
Had a ball knowing that it was over at half time so we could just soak it in for the 2nd half.
Went for a walk down Swan St, loved it.
Found a little Vietnamese restaurant near the Swan Hotel.
Finished there, walked back to the MCG as the players were being presented up on stage.
Caught the train back home and had a laugh at the stoners on the train....
Very enjoyable day.

I live out of town and only got 1 ticket, so had to go by myself.

I had a dream during the week about a giant tiger (tall as the light towers) prowling around outside the MCG looking over the top down on the ground growling, but I still had nerves all week. When I woke up on Saturday morning I felt strangely calm! No nerves at all.

Got up, left at 9, walked over to the G, all the radio stations were set up, headed over the road for some breaky. Wasn'ptlanning on getting to the ground until 12-1230, but got there at 9:50. Watched a tv show on my phone while the U17's played. Far out that wind was icy early, was freezing my but off!

The game was great, loved every minute of it. My seat was on level 4 and I had a friend from work in standing room downstairs, so headed down there about half way through the third quarter! And stood behind the cheersquad for the rest of the game, wow that was amazing!

My friend didn't want to stay for the after party, and I felt bad making her stay and being a girl by myself felt a bit unsafe, so just went out for dinner afterwards.

But I regret not being there, or going down Swan street afterwards! Oh well....next year I'll take my sister, she'll be up for it! 😉

Drove down from Canberra, got a tram to the G. Soaked in the atmosphere outside. Inside I wandered around and found the perfect spot, then realized it was a no standing area :poo:.

Found my area M16, and watched the first half from behind a concrete pillar :p. Alternate good view and then TV, then view:rolleyes:. Then at 1/2 time the people in front left and I got to stand next to the attendant with a great view of the ground. :cool: Party time from then to the end.

Watched the presentations etc. Then wandered up Swan Street.

Couldn't find the merchandise. And the guys I asked sent me on a wild goose chase. So it was what it was ….. a great day :rainbow:

My first GF - same as Dr Tigris, drove down from Canberra but on Thursday night so we could go to the parade. On game day we were sitting about 10 rows back from the top of the Great Southern but the views were still fantastic. I was a nervous wreck until part way through the 3rd, finally relaxed and was almost in shock how well the game had gone for us. Stayed for the lap of honour (ran down to the ground floor but was 5/6 rows back). Went to Swan St after and loved the atmosphere. The place we had dinner burst into song every 15 minutes and people would flood the restaurant from the street to sing with us! I can't think of any other experience like it.

Managed to use mates AFL cards to buy tickets but also got another ticket through club ballot.
Went to Footy Show last Wednesday night and sat beside another older supporter who told me he was disappointed to miss out on ballot.
Felt for him, so I offered to give him my ballot ticket (Olympic Stand seat) for face value.
Met him at Swan St morning of game to give him the ticket and he was almost in tears.
Tigers win was great, but that made my day.

Woke up. Went to The Corner. Drank beers. Got pissed. Went to the G. Watched us maul them. Celebrated. Left. Went to a mate’s off Swan St. Got more pissed. Went to a restaurant. Got kicked out of said restaurant for being too pissed. Got done for urinating in public. Went back to mate’s. Finished our beers. Went to Chapel St 24 hour bottle O. Bought a slab of Vics. Went to another mate’s. Got more pissed. Drank till 4pm Sunday. Call an Uber. Stumble in Uber. Grab Maccas on the way home. Have one bite of my burger. Tell driver to pull over. Munt. Get home. Watch highlights on phone. Pass out. Wake up at 6am Monday. Tiger scarf still around my neck. Call in sick. Cop a spray from the wife. Hop on the couch. Order Uber Eats. Watch the replay. Message all my Collingwood supporting mates. Tell them to suck my balls. Troll BigFooty. The end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woke up. Went to The Corner. Drank beers. Got pi**ed. Went to the G. Watched us maul them. Celebrated. Left. Went to a mate’s off Swan St. Got more pi**ed. Went to a restaurant. Got kicked out of said restaurant for being too pi**ed. Got done for urinating in public. Went back to mate’s. Finished our beers. Went to Chapel St 24 hour bottle O. Bought a slab of Vics. Went to another mate’s. Got more pi**ed. Drank till 4pm Sunday. Call an Uber. Stumble in Uber. Grab Maccas on the way home. Have one bite of my burger. Tell driver to pull over. Munt. Get home. Watch highlights on phone. Pass out. Wake up at 6am Monday. Tiger scarf still around my neck. Call in sick. Cop a spray from the wife. Hop on the couch. Order Uber Eats. Watch the replay. Message all my Collingwood supporting mates. Tell them to suck my balls. Troll BigFooty. The end.
best

Grand Final Day is such an amazing experience and I really would love to hear everyone's stories, as I'm sure there are some belters out there..

Did you go with love ones for the first time?

Get a late call up to the game?

Go to the punt road live site?

What was everyones day like?

I'll kick it off.

I'm fortunate enough that our memberships have the Grand Final guarantee ticket (nearly pulled the pin after 2016...)

So getting a ticket was sorted, fantastic.

Get to Wednesday night this week and we are at my in laws house for tea which we do each week, got some pizza. I get the Aussie with no onion (onion is s**t).

Wake up Thursday morning feeling a bit queezy, had a few toilet stops before heading into work.

Turns out that pizza claimed a few victims possibly..

Get to work and still not feeling good. Head home around 10:30 and I'm at the toilet every 20 - 30 minutes at this stage.

Made the call I'm not going to the parade on Friday cause I need to be right for Saturday.

Picking up Gastro / food poisoning 3 days out from a Grand Final is not good. I was in David Astbury 2018 territory.

As of Friday night before I went to bed, I wasn't going to the game. Shattered.

Slept through the night ok. Woke up at 7:00am, had some dry toast, had shower, had some hydrolyte and felt good.

Someone was looking out for me cause the worst of it had gone and I was able to go!

Head into crown for buffet breakfast with close family friends, I'm stuck eating dry toast while they have bacon, eggs, hash browns etc.

Even my 13 month old son was eating more than me..

Walk to the G, take our seats and I get to watch Richmond win in amazing style with my 13 month old son, very special moment.

Also slightly annoying I had to wait 31 years for my 1st Grand Final compared to his 13 months, but I wont hold it against him..

Catch up with more family, stay for the afterparty then we head to crown for some San Antone!

I couldn't give a fu** about the gastro by then, went the pulled pork burger and potato gems.

What a great day / night.
Jeez, you had the whole story build up and up and then you didn't even s**t yourself at the end
What a let down

a huge build up & lots of stressful times in the week trying to make sure that everyone in our group had tickets and making sure we had enough beer and goodies at the bar for our event there and the after party.

Grabbed some brekky from the cafe next door & opened the bar at 11. Fortunately I got relieved at 12 and was able to remain on the good side of the bar consuming a few Exit IPA's to take the edge off the nerves pre-game. met up with friends who had come in from Alice Springs & SA to give them their tickets and then headed to the G on the tram.

bumped into a guy in the AFL members who i hadn't seen for at least 10 years. had a quick chat and went to my seat. I was in M19 which was a good omen as I had M19 in 2017 as well.

In 2017 I sat with a mate that i had first been to the footy with nearly 40 years before. He was a long time Tiges man but had drifted away (although still had membership) scarred by years of Frawley/Wallace debacles and couldn't subject himself to it on a weekly basis any more. Was fantastic to share the day with him looking back to when we were kids and what we had been through. This year was special as well. i had lived in the UK / Europe for about 11 years returning in 2012 and as my old mate wasn't going then, i started going to games with my friend Anita. We've been going to games together ever since and it was my one regret about not being able to sit with her in 2017 as really wanted to share in the day with her as well. This year, she became an AFL Gold member and therefore had same priority to the game as me so we got to spend the day together.

I also had a few friends who had standing room in the AFL members area very close to where we were sitting. For some very strange reason the 3 Richmond supporters sitting next to me decided at the 20 minute mark they were getting up to leave and meet up with friends, so i texted the friends who were standing that I had 3 spare seats next to me and to come down now. they got there just after the siren and we were all able to share the presentation and the joy that the day brought with it.

you can have all the memorabilia and collectibles you like, it's the memories of sharing these moments with the people that you love and care about that make it so special.

What a day. finished up back at the bar with a few more Exit IPA's and a celebratory Diplomatico Reserva Rum or three with more friends who'd been at the game coming back as well having a good sing along in the beer garden.

My close mate who I go to many games with has been paying for 3 MRC’s for many years. For him and his kids. In 2017 his daughter booked a trip to Sth America with boyfriend well before we hit form. He gave me her ticket rather than to his brother, I wouldn’t have got to GF. So grateful. Unbelievable day.
Felt terrible for my mate who had invested so much over years for the chance to go to a Tiger GF with his kids. You never know when it could happen again right?
2018 -I upgraded to MRC (couldn’t risk chance of missing out) we stumble in PF.
2019 - All four of us, lunch and beers at the All Nations, walk to ‘G, climb to our CATEGORY 6 seats, 2nd top row of level 4 in Ponsford behind goals, screaming for every Tiger goal and more. Bay was heaving up in the rafters.
So happy for my mate and his daughter most of all.

Setting, Glasgow Scotland (so understand time diff)

Finished work at 20:15 on the Friday night, picked my non footy but now Tigers barracking mate on the way back to mine. (Plenty beers and provisions bought for Saturdays festivities)

Plan was to have a few beers, watch the 2017 GF, get my mate a bit more up to speed with footy and The Tiges, go to bed at a reasonable time and get up about 4:30am and get going for the day.

Shouldve known better, we are drinking buddies of some 30yrs standing, so the early night didnt happen! Sat drinking til 02:30, we crashed on a couch each and got up with our alarms at 04:30

Hair of the dog, was quickly taken and off we went.
Was great watching The Tigers go about their GF business so well and make it a case of drinking beers in a relaxed mode rather than nervous as fukk!

Other friends who couldnt make the first bounce arrived about 07:30 and joined the party. More converts to footy and The Tiges in progress.

Then the calls from Melbournne started 👍 2 sisters at the game, face timed me The Song at Full Time, plus the celebrations as well as their walk up Swan St. BiL then called (nb he gave a ticket to my Sis, who gave hers up to allow me and him to go to the GF on 2017), great to share with my Tiger siblings and relatives.

Game was immediately put on repeat and watched another twice over the course of the Saturday. ( had to send out for more beers etc mid Sat afternoon).

Made it to bed around midnight I think, long but beautiful day.

Felt great next morning and watched the GF again, albeit sober this time as I started work at midday.

Ive put my requests in for Premiers merch to the troops, so you now have a 54yr old man waiting for the parcel to come, like a kid wishing for Christmas.

Spent the day in the air flying to Singapore. No wifi on board so madly found the airport wifi. And by the time I got to immigration the AFL site had the results up. Massive relief . Tiges won. So watched the game thanks to all at the corner hotel. The Cotch tackle. Prestia jumping in. Riewoldt kicking straight. The backline being stingy. Daniel and George dangerous, Shai not bad either and that Pickett guy played alright too. Great start to a holiday.

a huge build up & lots of stressful times in the week trying to make sure that everyone in our group had tickets and making sure we had enough beer and goodies at the bar for our event there and the after party.

Grabbed some brekky from the cafe next door & opened the bar at 11. Fortunately I got relieved at 12 and was able to remain on the good side of the bar consuming a few Exit IPA's to take the edge off the nerves pre-game. met up with friends who had come in from Alice Springs & SA to give them their tickets and then headed to the G on the tram.

bumped into a guy in the AFL members who i hadn't seen for at least 10 years. had a quick chat and went to my seat. I was in M19 which was a good omen as I had M19 in 2017 as well.

In 2017 I sat with a mate that i had first been to the footy with nearly 40 years before. He was a long time Tiges man but had drifted away (although still had membership) scarred by years of Frawley/Wallace debacles and couldn't subject himself to it on a weekly basis any more. Was fantastic to share the day with him looking back to when we were kids and what we had been through. This year was special as well. i had lived in the UK / Europe for about 11 years returning in 2012 and as my old mate wasn't going then, i started going to games with my friend Anita. We've been going to games together ever since and it was my one regret about not being able to sit with her in 2017 as really wanted to share in the day with her as well. This year, she became an AFL Gold member and therefore had same priority to the game as me so we got to spend the day together.

I also had a few friends who had standing room in the AFL members area very close to where we were sitting. For some very strange reason the 3 Richmond supporters sitting next to me decided at the 20 minute mark they were getting up to leave and meet up with friends, so i texted the friends who were standing that I had 3 spare seats next to me and to come down now. they got there just after the siren and we were all able to share the presentation and the joy that the day brought with it.

you can have all the memorabilia and collectibles you like, it's the memories of sharing these moments with the people that you love and care about that make it so special.

What a day. finished up back at the bar with a few more Exit IPA's and a celebratory Diplomatico Reserva Rum or three with more friends who'd been at the game coming back as well having a good sing along in the beer garden.
My overall GF day story isn't that interesting. Went into Richmond to soak up the atmosphere a bit then met my friends at Punt Rd to get the tickets then just wandered up to our seats.
However, like you, I got to sit with my best footy mate. We met in 2005 in the Grog Squad and have been watching together since then. We watch most interstate games together at the pub. At the end of 2016 we both planned to cancel our MRC memberships just because it felt like a futile expense but I ended up keeping mine. He couldn't get a ticket in 2017 and watched at Punt Road. Whilst we caught up after the match at the Cricketers and had an awesome night celebrating it's been a big regret that he wasn't there. He signed up again at the family day the very next day. We got our tickets together and were on the top level. I was sure he'd want to stand to watch it but I wasn't keen but he decided to sit. We had a group of 4 including my workmate that I sat with in 2017.
It is such a wonderful memory now that after watching a LOT of crap together over the years that we were able to witness that demolition and I took a lot of pleasure seeing him start to realise he was going to see another flag. (He was there as a youngster in 1980)
It's awesome to share the experience. Part of the joy of a flag is seeing thousands of people feeling the same as you but it's extra special when you see your mates joining in!!

Took the Friday off. Already had the Monday off as I do a 9-day fortnight.

Not gonna lie to you all, but the Black Dog took its toll that week.
I woke up early but just didn't feel like going in so I stayed in bed.
Stayed in bed until lunchtime. Those with depression will know. Sometimes you just don't *en feel like it.
Got the 1.20pm bus from Barwon Heads and the 2pm train to Southern Cross.
Unfortunately it was the Warrnambool train which meant two carriages for a million people. I got a seat though but hundreds had to stand.

I couldn’t see s**t during the 2017 parade so I wasn’t that bummed to miss it.

I had booked a one-bed apartment several weeks earlier on Bank Place in the city that could have been cancelled at no charge if we didn’t win the prelim.

Checked in at 4pm and met mates at the Turf Bar literally a 150 metre walk from my room.

Enjoyed a wonderful few hours of GF-eve beers with very close mates which brought back my mood.
We pulled stumps around 10pm and I went to Spearmint Rhino by myself, which is a bit sad.

Got ‘home’ around 3am without spending too much money. Just said ‘no thank you’.

Woke at 11.30am and was dirty with myself.

Showered and right opposite my hotel is the Mitre Tavern.

Topped up with a pint there and then walked to SC station.

Bought two 500ml Heinekens as I knew a heap of people I know well were having a BBQ at the Jack Dyer statue.
Got there, had the two cans and had a really nice chat with several good people.

Made my way into the ground around 1.45pm and missed the pregame entertainment. Spewing. I love Paul Kelly.

I go to the footy with three mates every single week.

We were sitting together in M56 below the scoreboard.

Category 4 but the seats were really good.

Grabbed a tray of 4 Great Northerns (wasn’t up getting heavies) and settled in for the game.

By half time I had finished the beers and bought two more for the rest of the game.

Halfway through the 3rd quarter we knew we had the game won.

Was just so satisfying to be able to watch the rest knowing we were going to win.

Resisted the temptation to go to Swan St after the game.

Totally different feeling to 2017.

Waled back to the hotel had a wake-up shower and met the boys at the Turf Bar again where we watched Storm vs Roosters.

We pulled stumps after that game, but me and one other bloke went back to Spearmint Rhino. Again I resisted the temptation to spend money, but stayed until 4am.

Woke to the sound of the hotel room phone at 10.38am and it was the receptionist asking me to vacate the premises.

I quickly showered and got out.

Still on a high, I had a pint at the Mitre Tavern across the laneway and made my way into Punt Rd for the festivities.

Got coffee at 7/11 and walked to SC station.

Lined up at the merchandise tent where I bought a cap, stubbie holder and car bumper sticker.

Lined up at the other tent that was selling the clothing and took an hour in line.

Bought the hoody, Mark Knight tee, another tee and a Mark Knight tee for my daughter.

Met the three fellas who I go to games with every weekend and we watched the presentations.

After that, we walked to the London Tavern.

We had beers and sang the theme song with the masses all arvo.

It’s good to be premiers.

Around 5pm, drunk, tired and emotional, I called it quits.

Got a train back to SC and then because of track works, had to get a train to North Melbourne, bus to Sunshine and then a train to Marshall and then an Uber home to Barwon Heads.
Walked in the door at home at 9pm and slept until 2pm the next day.

Would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
I live in Europe with my missus, and when I found out that my dad got 2 tickets in the ballot I made the emergency flight back to go to the game with my old man.

Couldn't care less about the jetlag or the cost of any of that. To be with the old man at the G and watch the tigs march to a premiership was a day I'll never forget.
you win

Woke up. Went to The Corner. Drank beers. Got pi**ed. Went to the G. Watched us maul them. Celebrated. Left. Went to a mate’s off Swan St. Got more pi**ed. Went to a restaurant. Got kicked out of said restaurant for being too pi**ed. Got done for urinating in public. Went back to mate’s. Finished our beers. Went to Chapel St 24 hour bottle O. Bought a slab of Vics. Went to another mate’s. Got more pi**ed. Drank till 4pm Sunday. Call an Uber. Stumble in Uber. Grab Maccas on the way home. Have one bite of my burger. Tell driver to pull over. Munt. Get home. Watch highlights on phone. Pass out. Wake up at 6am Monday. Tiger scarf still around my neck. Call in sick. Cop a spray from the wife. Hop on the couch. Order Uber Eats. Watch the replay. Message all my Collingwood supporting mates. Tell them to suck my balls. Troll BigFooty. The end.
Actually, nah, you win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back