Prediction Your 2020 Best 22 (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

With all of the uncertainty and discussion around what will be our Best 22 come Round 1, perhaps we need to rethink and re-frame the discussion.

Rather than a Consensus 22... perhaps we need to separate our list into 3 groups.

1. Consensus Best 18 players - based on CJMB and his outstanding 2020 Consensus thread, we can safely put the following players into this bracket.

a. Backs - Lachie Plowman, Liam Jones, Sam Docherty, Jacob Weitering
b. Forwards - Mitch McGovern, Harry McKay*, Jack Martin, Eddie Betts
c. Midfielders - Sam Walsh, Patrick Cripps, Will Setterfield, Matthew Kreuzer, Ed Curnow, Marc Murphy

This gives us 14 safe players who are as much of a lock for round 1 as any AFL player right now. I will disclaim this saying that its an assumption based on group think, past best 22 spots and 2019 form. I believe Martin was brought in to play seniors and seems to be impressing on the track. Setters may be at the base of this group, but 97% of us gave him a start in our midfield and I was one of those. With a full preseason, he'll shine in 2020.

2. In the conversation - based on highly-rated and well-performing preseason players, these are the guys who'll be in the conversation based on Teague's recent comment i.e. “We’ve probably got 28-30 guys where if we to play tomorrow and they were in our team, we’d be pretty excited.”

I've broken into to 2 x sub-categories of 'probables' vs 'possibles' in true preseason style.

a. Probables - Kade Simpson, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Levi Casboult, Caleb Marchbank*, Nic Newman, David Cuningham, Zac Fisher
b. Possibles - Jack Silvagni, Matthew Kennedy, Jack Newnes, Michael Gibbons, Tom Williamson, Paddy Dow, Lochie O'Brien, Liam Stocker, Darcy Lang

I'm personally pretty comfortable with the 7 guys listed in my 'probables' list, which would take us to 21 players. But I know we can all make a case (strongly for some) for at least 2 of the 'possibles' - particularly up forward. Only concern if this were used to pick best 22 is that the 'probables' list is very back-heavy so it'll be interesting to see how Amos and Teague set us up at the start of the year. Hence the definition of 'probables'.

This list takes us up to 30 players, which is right on the money when it comes to Teague's comment. If the Round 1 side and emergencies are made up of these 30 players, few of us will be unhappy or surprised.

3. Developing, injured or not up to speed - these are the guys who round out the list and - for various reasons - won't be playing Round 1, with my take on the rationale.
  • Charlie Curnow (already ruled out due to injury)
  • Brodie Kemp (LTI)
  • Tom De Koning (behind Kreuz, Cas and Harry for a spot)
  • Marc Pittonet (behind Kreuz in pecking order)
  • Harrison Macreadie (not ready, still in/out of recovery group)
  • Cameron Polson (not up to speed, being trialled down back)
  • Sam Ramsay (could surprise and would be my pick as a bolter from this crop)
  • Sam Philp (not ready, still green)
  • Josh Honey (developing and could play games in 2020 but not R1)
  • Ben Silvagni (not ready)
  • Finbar O'Dwyer (still a way off)
  • Fraser Phillips (not ready, still green)
  • Matthew Owies (showing nice signs but not ready)
  • Hugh Goddard (behind a few others in pecking order)
  • Matthew Cottrell (developing and could play games in 2020 but not R1)
Thoughts, Bluebaggers?

*I'm assuming Harry is fit and plays Round 1, with Charlie and Kemp the only guys ruled out at this stage.
*Marchy is still building back to full fitness and may not start the year in seniors, but is squarely in our best mix

Excellent assessment of where things stand.
I don't think we recruited Newnes to be a possible - so the only change I would make is to move him up to probable.

With all of the uncertainty and discussion around what will be our Best 22 come Round 1, perhaps we need to rethink and re-frame the discussion.

Rather than a Consensus 22... perhaps we need to separate our list into 3 groups.

1. Consensus Best 18 players - based on CJMB and his outstanding 2020 Consensus thread, we can safely put the following players into this bracket.

b. Forwards - Mitch McGovern, Harry McKay*, Jack Martin, Eddie Betts
c. Midfielders - Sam Walsh, Patrick Cripps, Will Setterfield, Matthew Kreuzer, Ed Curnow, Marc Murphy

This gives us 14 safe players who are as much of a lock for round 1 as any AFL player right now. I will disclaim this saying that its an assumption based on group think, past best 22 spots and 2019 form. I believe Martin was brought in to play seniors and seems to be impressing on the track. Setters may be at the base of this group, but 97% of us gave him a start in our midfield and I was one of those. With a full preseason, he'll shine in 2020.

2. In the conversation - based on highly-rated and well-performing preseason players, these are the guys who'll be in the conversation based on Teague's recent comment i.e. “We’ve probably got 28-30 guys where if we to play tomorrow and they were in our team, we’d be pretty excited.”

I've broken into to 2 x sub-categories of 'probables' vs 'possibles' in true preseason style.

a. Probables - Kade Simpson, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Levi Casboult, Caleb Marchbank*, Nic Newman, David Cuningham, Zac Fisher
b. Possibles - Jack Silvagni, Matthew Kennedy, Jack Newnes, Michael Gibbons, Tom Williamson, Paddy Dow, Lochie O'Brien, Liam Stocker, Darcy Lang

I'm personally pretty comfortable with the 7 guys listed in my 'probables' list, which would take us to 21 players. But I know we can all make a case (strongly for some) for at least 2 of the 'possibles' - particularly up forward. Only concern if this were used to pick best 22 is that the 'probables' list is very back-heavy so it'll be interesting to see how Amos and Teague set us up at the start of the year. Hence the definition of 'probables'.

This list takes us up to 30 players, which is right on the money when it comes to Teague's comment. If the Round 1 side and emergencies are made up of these 30 players, few of us will be unhappy or surprised.

3. Developing, injured or not up to speed - these are the guys who round out the list and - for various reasons - won't be playing Round 1, with my take on the rationale.
  • Charlie Curnow (already ruled out due to injury)
  • Brodie Kemp (LTI)
  • Tom De Koning (behind Kreuz, Cas and Harry for a spot)
  • Marc Pittonet (behind Kreuz in pecking order)
  • Harrison Macreadie (not ready, still in/out of recovery group)
  • Cameron Polson (not up to speed, being trialled down back)
  • Sam Ramsay (could surprise and would be my pick as a bolter from this crop)
  • Sam Philp (not ready, still green)
  • Josh Honey (developing and could play games in 2020 but not R1)
  • Ben Silvagni (not ready)
  • Finbar O'Dwyer (still a way off)
  • Fraser Phillips (not ready, still green)
  • Matthew Owies (showing nice signs but not ready)
  • Hugh Goddard (behind a few others in pecking order)
  • Matthew Cottrell (developing and could play games in 2020 but not R1)
Thoughts, Bluebaggers?

*I'm assuming Harry is fit and plays Round 1, with Charlie and Kemp the only guys ruled out at this stage.
*Marchy is still building back to full fitness and may not start the year in seniors, but is squarely in our best mix

Good rationale all through.

Slight changes for me though:

- SPS into the Consensus Starter group, given his quality and versatility I think he's a monty. More so than Setters.
- I think a number of the "Probables" are more like "Possibles". Fisher, Marchy, Cunners, Newman in particular. Selection of these guys a lot more dependent on form and fitness, not just their own but that of others, as well as tough decisions on how to balance the side.

The issue is that 4 of your 'probables' are backs, so one is probably not.

Settled on this side for round one, until the Marsh series starts.

B: Plowman Jones Newman

HB: Docherty Weitering Simpson

C: Walsh Cripps Newnes

R: Kreuzer Murphy Curnow

HF: Cuningham McKay Martin

F: McGovern Casboult Betts

INT: SPS Setterfield Gibbons 4th

Last on the interchange to be the best performer in the Marsh series from Dow, JSOS, and Kennedy. Would love to squeeze LOB and Williamson into the 22, but equally happy for them to build form and confidence in the VFL and place pressure on those playing similar roles at AFL level.
Forgot Fisher he's a lock..

Initially, yes, I don't think it would take much for that to change though. He's gotta decline at some point, and there are enough up-and-comers that one should kick on quickly.
I agree but his consensus votes suggest he's not for everyone, hence he sits at the very top of my probables list.
The issue is that 4 of your 'probables' are backs, so one is probably not.
Hence my footnote in the middle, Stamos ;)
Only concern if this were used to pick best 22 is that the 'probables' list is very back-heavy so it'll be interesting to see how Amos and Teague set us up at the start of the year. Hence the definition of 'probables'.
Forgot Fisher he's a lock..
For most, I agree. But not for all.

Initially, yes, I don't think it would take much for that to change though. He's gotta decline at some point, and there are enough up-and-comers that one should kick on quickly.

I'm concentrating on the here and now - not the maybe one day scenario ...

add Levi to certain starter mix - Teague prefers to win games as do I.

Teague has highlighted how difficult it will be to pick the 22 for round 1. However I’m confident he will err on the side of experience over youth against the reigning premier.

Pre-season form will play a big part in selection..

B: SPS Jones Plowman

HB: Docherty Weitering Newman

HF: Kennedy McKay Martin

INT: Fisher Simmo Setterfield Gibbons

Kennedy in front of JSOS due to Jack’s interrupted preseason. in front of Cuningham who needs continuity. I have Newnes just ahead of LOB due to his mature body & toughness; both are elite runners. Gibbons ahead of Dow because of his gut running ability.

Williamson is coming from a long way back and is behind newman, Simmo and SPS. Needs to play incredibly well in the preseason to play round 1. Marchbank’s limited preseason puts him behind others. Stocker and Lang are a lot fitter this year and could surprise.

Yup, that’s 30 players you can make a case for; we finally have DEPTH

Teague has highlighted how difficult it will be to pick the 22 for round 1. However I’m confident he will err on the side of experience over youth against the reigning premier.

Pre-season form will play a big part in selection..

B: SPS Jones Plowman

HB: Docherty Weitering Newman

HF: Kennedy McKay Martin

INT: Fisher Simmo Setterfield Gibbons

Kennedy in front of JSOS due to Jack’s interrupted preseason. in front of Cuningham who needs continuity. I have Newnes just ahead of LOB due to his mature body & toughness; both are elite runners. Gibbons ahead of Dow because of his gut running ability.

Williamson is coming from a long way back and is behind newman, Simmo and SPS. Needs to play incredibly well in the preseason to play round 1. Marchbank’s limited preseason puts him behind others. Stocker and Lang are a lot fitter this year and could surprise.

Yup, that’s 30 players you can make a case for; we finally have DEPTH

Just can’t see DC not being selected if fit.
DE8345D2-AD44-4839-9D8A-02E36A1A0622.jpeg

JSOS, Dow, LOB, Williamson, Kennedy, Marchbank, TDK, Stocker (Lang) next in line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s not jumping over anyone. He’s fit, and clearly in our best teamG. He’ll play the praccy games, others will be trying to jump over him
Disagree. He is not clearly in our best 22. He played 9 games last year for a total of 25 games in four years. He has had no continuity and his total of 14 goals is a concern if we are looking at playing him playing 90% forward.

I rate Cuningham highly but JSOS, Kennedy and Martin all play the same position, and are currently ahead of him. If he blitzes in the preseason, and his body is right, he would be best 22. Big if though...

Disagree. He is not clearly in our best 22. He played 9 games last year for a total of 25 games in four years. He has had no continuity and his total of 14 goals is a concern if we are looking at playing him playing 90% forward.

I rate Cuningham highly but JSOS, Kennedy and Martin all play the same position, and are currently ahead of him. If he blitzes in the preseason, and his body is right, he would be best 22. Big if though...

Kennedy and Jack play a very different game, and one of them can still fit in our forward 7 with Cuningham there

Round 1

SPS Jones Plowman
Docherty Weitering Williamson
Walsh Cripps Setterfield
Martin McGovern Cuningham
Betts McKay Kennedy

Kreuzer Curnow Murphy

Simpson Fisher Silvagni Dow

Banking on reports of Kreuzer being in career best condition.
The tractor can ruck all night with an occasional chop out from McKay or even Silvagni in the Grigg mould.
Every one of the forwards (McKay) ? are beautiful kicks for goal, scoreboard pressure is the best pressure of all ...

Jack in a Grigg role? That's long gone

Levi plays, even if some still don't rate him
Agreed. Levi is definitely in. He is your ultimate ‘all rounder’ - plays forward, ruck and back. May not be the no. 1 in any of these positions, but is very handy at all of them. Is also providing much needed physicality. Can’t wait to see him crashing in to the opposition.

Agreed. Levi is definitely in. He is your ultimate ‘all rounder’ - plays forward, ruck and back. May not be the no. 1 in any of these positions, but is very handy at all of them. Is also providing much needed physicality. Can’t wait to see him crashing in to the opposition.

Yeap, apart from Weitering, Levi was our best/most consistent tall last year.

In time, Charlie and McKay will pass him, but he will outlast Krooz

Still can't believe how many supporters just can't accept it, staggering

Yeap, apart from Weitering, Levi was our best/most consistent tall last year.

In time, Charlie and McKay will pass him, but he will outlast Krooz

Still can't believe how many supporters just can't accept it, staggering
Couldn’t agree more. We need the versatility, strength and experience he brings to the team. Is a very important player.

Beyond this year, 28 years old and younger

Plowman Weitering Marchbank
Docherty Macreadie/BSOS Williamson
Walsh Cripps Setterfield
Martin Charlie Cuningham
Fisher McKay McGovern

TDK Kemp Stocker

LOB SPS Silvagni Dow

EMG : Newman Cottrell Kennedy Newnes Gibbons Lang Ramsay Philp Honey Pittonet

Gone Levi, Murphy, Ed, Simmo, Jones, Krooz, Betts

Think we will be fine when it comes to retaining youth, although we need to target a KPD and a ruckman if Macreadie and or BSOS, Pittonet dont come on

Round 1 team:

B: Plowman-------------Jones--------------Simpson

H: Docherty-----------Weitering------------Newman

C: Dow-----------------Cripps---------------O'Brien

H: Cuningham---------McGovern-----------SPS

F: Betts----------------McKay---------------Martin

Foll: Kreuzer, Setterfield, Walsh

Bench: Marchbank, E.Curnow, Murphy, Kennedy

Round 1 team:

B: Plowman-------------Jones--------------Simpson

H: Docherty-----------Weitering------------Newman

C: Dow-----------------Cripps---------------O'Brien

H: Cuningham---------McGovern-----------SPS

F: Betts----------------McKay---------------Martin

Foll: Kreuzer, Setterfield, Walsh

Bench: Marchbank, E.Curnow, Murphy, Kennedy

I've got it down to 9 players in the backline,
12 mids and 8 forwards.
I just hope nobody calls for a count.

I've got it down to 9 players in the backline,
12 mids and 8 forwards.
I just hope nobody calls for a count.
Sounds like the club is fairly similar, Teague said recently he and the assistants put forward their 22s and they were all different. It’s going to be some really interesting pre-season games, seeing who puts their hands up, are there any from players who step up and demand selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back