Prediction Your 2020 Best 22 (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this could suit Dow the most. He's speed out of the middle and ball winning abilities could be quite useful whilst perhaps not perhaps having the fitness and strength yet for a full time midfield role. I don't think he's ready to replace Ed's work and output just yet so this could work well in that it plays to his strong clearance work.

Like you pointed out, Martin is one we could also use in this way if we wanted to then rest him on the half-forward line. Potentially Fisher could start in the centre and then move to a wing.

I think there's a few options we could consider so that Ed starts attending less and others get more of a look-in and that transition begins to occur. Once the clearance is complete and there's a stoppage in play, Ed can resume the run-with and inside role as per normal.

We may get posters coming in to say players can play anywhere, but it just doesn't pan out that way.
Everyone has positions and roles they're best suited to.

Fisher in the centre and the wing
Martin in the centre and then going forward.
Setterfield in the centre and outside between the arcs.
Cuningham in the centre and roaming around the ground.
Stocker in the centre and playing back.
SPS in the centre and anywhere around the ground for mine.

Kemp - Not sure
Philp - I don't think we'll even see genuine midfield starts for him. Forward or back seems plausible

Dow - Dow? If not in the centre then where?

I just can't build a case for Dow playing anywhere but as a pure midfielder....for now

Key word. Not by years end but now.

Look, it's not to say that ECurnow shouldn't be involved but the frequency of involvement would serve us well, should others at least get to his level by years end.
It may not come about but f I could somehow 'impose my will' upon it, I would :)

I want us to start next year without ECurnow having 90% involvement. Fingers crossed.

I have no real argument against this, other than a adding small caveat - it comes down to the role Ed is playing.

If next year he is attending 90% because he’s tagging the oppositions best mid and that’s where they are, then I’m happy with it. If Ed is playing as a ball hunting mid, then I’m not.

I think he has at least 2 more seasons playing that role but I’d be surprised if we weren’t looking at someone to take that role going forward - there’s not many who can effectively and consistently tag a guy out of the game and get it 20+ times whilst doing it

Love Ed and the value he adds to the whole

I have no real argument against this, other than a adding small caveat - it comes down to the role Ed is playing.

If next year he is attending 90% because he’s tagging the oppositions best mid and that’s where they are, then I’m happy with it. If Ed is playing as a ball hunting mid, then I’m not.

I think he has at least 2 more seasons playing that role but I’d be surprised if we weren’t looking at someone to take that role going forward - there’s not many who can effectively and consistently tag a guy out of the game and get it 20+ times whilst doing it

Love Ed and the value he adds to the whole

As you're saying and others have said, ECurnow has enough petrol in the tank to go on for a couple of years yet. No argument.

If the difference between winning games and losing games is to have Cripps and ECurnow in the centre at every stoppage, then that's what we do.
I'd just like for there to be not so much reliance on them both....That's all.

I want Setterfield to say, 'Captain, I've got this'
Fisher to say, 'Ed, leave it to me and take a rest' etc etc.

Just want the spread to go beyond what it currently is, for now and the future.
These aren't immature-bodied 18 year olds any more. They have to be given more responsibility and I dare say that is what's going to happen.

We may get posters coming in to say players can play anywhere, but it just doesn't pan out that way.
Everyone has positions and roles they're best suited to.

Fisher in the centre and the wing
Martin in the centre and then going forward.
Setterfield in the centre and outside between the arcs.
Cuningham in the centre and roaming around the ground.
Stocker in the centre and playing back.
SPS in the centre and anywhere around the ground for mine.

Kemp - Not sure
Philp - I don't think we'll even see genuine midfield starts for him. Forward or back seems plausible

Dow - Dow? If not in the centre then where?

I just can't build a case for Dow playing anywhere but as a pure midfielder....for now
I agree with you that players can't play just anywhere and especially with Dow, where would he go after the centre clearance as he is clearly a pure midfielder that doesn't really possess the tools to play on a flank or wing yet. Perhaps he is used more as one of the rotations off the bench into the midfield than a starting mid.

Going back to my original point though, if we had expert centre clearance players that aren't out-and-out midfielders then we could still use them in the centre. We see this a lot with the powerful hybrid mid-forwards of the competition like De Goey, Heeney, Stringer, Wingard, Walters, Gray etc.

Perhaps Martin, Cuningham, JSOS, SPS, Gibbons may be used increasingly in this way in the future.

I agree with you that players can't play just anywhere and especially with Dow, where would he go after the centre clearance as he is clearly a pure midfielder that doesn't really possess the tools to play on a flank or wing yet. Perhaps he is used more as one of the rotations off the bench into the midfield than a starting mid.

Going back to my original point though, if we had expert centre clearance players that aren't out-and-out midfielders then we could still use them in the centre. We see this a lot with the powerful hybrid mid-forwards of the competition like De Goey, Heeney, Stringer, Wingard, Walters, Gray etc.

Perhaps Martin, Cuningham, JSOS, SPS, Gibbons may be used increasingly in this way in the future.

Right now, none of us really know what will come about with our younger players 21 year olds and under, will be part of our best team.

Walsh we know. Williamson we're confident of. TDK should be a good one.
..........but Stocker, Dow, O'Brien, Philp, Honey, Kemp, Cottrell, BSilvagni ? Lots to play out.

Right now, none of us really know what will come about with our younger players 21 year olds and under, will be part of our best team.

Walsh we know. Williamson we're confident of. TDK should be a good one.
..........but Stocker, Dow, O'Brien, Philp, Honey, Kemp, Cottrell, BSilvagni ? Lots to play out.
Totally agree. So much to play out. I think even best position for existing players we are confident will make it are still yet to be really determined. Will SPS stay defense or move back to the middle at some point? Does last week change the thinking on Cuningham and perhaps he is given more license to roam and get involved in stoppages around the ground. Gibbons has played midfield recently and done well but is he just holding someone's spot while he has maturity on his side. Martin midfield or half-forward line. Etc.

Plenty to play out which is what is super exciting!

Totally agree. So much to play out. I think even best position for existing players we are confident will make it are still yet to be really determined. Will SPS stay defense or move back to the middle at some point? Does last week change the thinking on Cuningham and perhaps he is given more license to roam and get involved in stoppages around the ground. Gibbons has played midfield recently and done well but is he just holding someone's spot while he has maturity on his side. Martin midfield or half-forward line. Etc.

Plenty to play out which is what is super exciting!

I just realised my post had nothing to do with what I quoted from you :)

I may get called out here for being sen to be flip-flopping, but our young mids will have to have more than one string to their bow to co-exist.
Unless they're an absolute gun old 'rover-type' it will be hard. We have a lot of young mids, and for them all to exist, they're going to have to be flexible types.

Dow does have a feeling of midfield or bust. Not sure if he could reinvent himself in the back or forwards.

He looks lost elsewhere doesn't he and it seems he just can't defend, be it forward or back.

I just don't want him to lose confidence, as I still see him as something we don't have another of....Philp included.

Seems we can. Thought it worked well against cats. Probably would have stretched * as well.
When the team is firing it works fine. We're winning the ball, they're getting plenty of opportunity to lead, mark & goal.

But small forwards can also contribute when you're winning, and they're far more useful when the opposition is up and about. They put on more pressure & get to more contests.

I’m looking forward to seeing Kennedy get a run in the seniors this year (if it even happens).

He’s certainly been one of the forgotten men of the Silvagni list management era. Very hit and miss in his brief appearances in the seniors, but wondering whether that may have been a result of position, fitness, and a lack of continuity?

Looks to be moving really well in the few highlights of the reserves games. I’ve always had him pegged as a slow inside bull but he looks to have some reasonable agility and running ability in those games.

Might be completely off the mark here, but I think he may really bring some value into the team if he ever gets a run. Throw him in the midfield and just let him go. Probably feeling a bit of pressure for his AFL career and will be itching to make his presence felt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dow does have a feeling of midfield or bust. Not sure if he could reinvent himself in the back or forwards.

His game is built around skirting away from a pack and kicking it long to tall forwards.

He's not really a finishing player. He's more your get it and go type.

I'm still confident on him. We just need to roll the dice and play him in the middle again.

I’m looking forward to seeing Kennedy get a run in the seniors this year (if it even happens).

He’s certainly been one of the forgotten men of the Silvagni list management era. Very hit and miss in his brief appearances in the seniors, but wondering whether that may have been a result of position, fitness, and a lack of continuity?

Looks to be moving really well in the few highlights of the reserves games. I’ve always had him pegged as a slow inside bull but he looks to have some reasonable agility and running ability in those games.

Might be completely off the mark here, but I think he may really bring some value into the team if he ever gets a run. Throw him in the midfield and just let him go. Probably feeling a bit of pressure for his AFL career and will be itching to make his presence felt.
yep - and dow

His game is built around skirting away from a pack and kicking it long to tall forwards.

He's not really a finishing player. He's more your get it and go type.

I'm still confident on him. We just need to roll the dice and play him in the middle again.
yep

I agree, purely a mid.

Not sure if things have changed, but I didn't understand why the club is trying to make him a precise kick midfielder last year

My instructions would be, see ball, hunt ball, gather, bang it long to a contest

Needs to improve his endurance though

Not currently our best 22 but at some stage I would like to see us field a side like this.

B: McGovern Jones Docherty
HB: Williamson Weitering SPS
C: O'Brien Setterfield Walsh
HF: Honey Casboult Silvagni
H: Betts McKay Cripps
OB: Pittonett Gibbons Stocker
IC: Dow Fisher Cuningham Philp

Not saying we need to get rid of Murphy and Curnow. But we aren't making progress with a 30 year old tagger who can't kick when we could have a 20 year old tagger who can. Murphy also doesn't need to be playing every game at his age and is not a part of our future.

McGovern I believe could be an elite 3rd tall defender and a massive upgrade on Plowman who is ok but just an average player.

O'Brien is too good of a runner and kick to not be looked at seriously.

Dow needs some time playing in the center as does Setterfield and Gibbons. Dow and Stocker as taggers could be better than Ed. Definitely long term.

If we recruit the right types Cripps could be a valuable forward/mid.

Honey and Philp have something and it's something we need.

Time is right to through some players in the deep end.

Simpson L.Jones Marchbank
Docherty Weitering Williamson

TDK Cripps ; Walsh
Murphy Ed Curnow Newnes

Martin McKay Fisher
Gibbons Casboult Betts

Setterfield SPS JSOS Cuningham

*C.Curnow back in once fit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back