Prediction Your 2020 Best 22 (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

V_23

Premiership Player
Aug 9, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I made this thread last year, so I thought I'd make it again. What do you believe should be our team for Round 1 2020 and, how will it have changed by the end of the season?

Assumptions:

1. We draft Jack Martin in the preseason draft

2. Pick 9, or whatever it's traded for, will not be best 22 in 2020

3. All players are available for selection but not necessarily fully fit for Round 1 (E.g. Docherty and C. Curnow)

My Round 1 Team

B:
Plowman, Jones, Marchbank
HB: Newman, Weitering, Petrevski-Seton
C: O'Brien, Walsh, Murphy
HF: Martin, C. Curnow, McGovern
F: Betts, McKay, Cuningham
R/FOL: Kreuzer, Cripps, E. Curnow

I/C: Simpson, Setterfield, Fisher, J. Silvagni

EMG:

Docherty -
Coming off two consecutive knee reconstructions I would be ultra conservative with him. The hype of Round 1 and the ferocious pressure from the Richmond forward line is not the ideal situation for his long-awaited comeback. Ease him in Round 4 or 5 after a solid block of VFL minutes.

Dow - Still developing and will hopefully step up and demand selection through the VFL. Tough to be left out for Round 1.

Casboult - Comes in whenever a key position player suffers an injury. Tough to miss selection because of his fantastic 2019, but the right call to start the season with.

Kennedy - Behind J. Silvagni and Casboult for spots. Showed a bit at half forward in 2019, but hard to see him getting a consistent game without team injuries.

Gibbons - Another who is stiff to miss but I prefer Betts and Cuningham ahead of him.

Newnes - Depth for now, could take O'Brien's spot in the team on occasion.

---

My Round 23 Team (Changes in Bold)

B:
HB: Docherty, Weitering, Petrevski-Seton
C: Setterfield, Walsh, Murphy
R/FOL: Kreuzer, Cripps, E. Curnow

I/C: Newman, Fisher, Dow, Stocker

EMG:

Simpson -
Makes way for Docherty in the best 22 due to age and planning for the future.

J. Silvagni - Really tough decision to leave him out but, hopefully, Stocker can go past him in 2020.

O'Brien - Tough call but I think Stocker might be more 'ready-made' and O'Brien will have to wait a year or two to fully cement his spot, despite starting Round 1.

Casboult - With our full compliment of talls available, Casboult is, unfortunately out of the team.

Williamson - Hopefully pushing for selection by this stage but I don't know whose spot he takes without injuries opening the door.

---

What are your thoughts on these teams, and your own?

Last edited:
Reserving this post until I find one I like enough to copy, it will then look like I was smart enough to get in first.

I made this thread last year, so I thought I'd make it again. What do you believe should be our team for Round 1 2020 and, how will it have changed by the end of the season?

Assumptions:

3. All players are available for selection but not necessarily fully fit for Round 1 (E.g. Docherty and C. Curnow)

My Round 1 Team

B:
C: O'Brien, Murphy, Fisher
R/FOL: Kreuzer, Cripps, E. Curnow, Walsh

I/C: Simpson, Setterfield, Casboult, J. Silvagni

EMG:

Docherty -
Coming off two consecutive knee reconstructions I would be ultra conservative with him. The hype of Round 1 and the ferocious pressure from the Richmond forward line is not the ideal situation for his long-awaited comeback. Ease him in Round 4 or 5 after a solid block of VFL minutes.

Dow - Still developing and will hopefully step up and demand selection through the VFL. Tough to be left out for Round 1.

Kennedy - Casboult takes his spot in the team due to his 2019 form, and his ability to provide ruck relief for Kreuzer.

Gibbons - Another who is stiff to miss but I prefer Betts and Cuningham ahead of him.

---

B:

I/C: Newman, Setterfield, Dow, Stocker

EMG:

Simpson -

J. Silvagni - Really tough decision to leave him out but, hopefully, Stocker can go past him in 2020.

Casboult - With our full compliment of talls available, Casboult is, unfortunately, the one to make way for Dow for team balance. Not sure who plays ruck relief in his absence, perhaps McKay, though I'd be reluctant to do so.

Williamson - Hopefully pushing for selection by this stage but I don't know whose spot he takes without injuries opening the door.

---

i’d hope by the end of the year tdk and pittonet will be pushing for selection

Assumptions:

My Round 1 Team

B:

EMG:

Docherty -

Kennedy - Casboult takes his spot in the team due to his 2019 form, and his ability to provide ruck relief for Kreuzer.

---

B:

EMG:

Simpson -

Casboult - With our full compliment of talls available, Casboult is, unfortunately, the one to make way for Dow for team balance. Not sure who plays ruck relief in his absence, perhaps McKay, though I'd be reluctant to do so.

---

I agree with the majority of the selections, but maybe the following changes for Round 1:

Docherty - A conservative approach does need to be taken, but that's what the past two years have been. He is our captain and his experience, size and run will be needed. If he gets through the rigours of preseason, where he broke down last time from memory, he plays for mine. No difference for me if he gets injured in Round 1 or Round 5, god forbid. Better we get those five games at senior level.

Gibbons - He plays round 1 for me, I think at Casboult's expense. Gibbons keeps improving, especially in the middle, and I think the more runners we have in the team the better we will be. Casboult and Silvagni will be playing similar roles for mine, forward and back at least. Better having runners on the bench than key position type players. Casboult is basically there to replace a forward, back or ruck when need be. In an ideal world he isn't needed, especially in round 1 when our players are healthy.

What do you think?

Tough one, will come down to form and fitness. At a guess It will be something like this.

B: Plowman Jones Simpson
HB: Docherty Weitering Newman
C: Walsh Cripps O'Brien
HF: Martin McKay Cuningham
F: Betts Curnow McGovern
OB: Kreuzer Murphy Curnow
IC: SPS Fisher Setterfield Silvagni

EM: Dow Kennedy Marchbank Stocker Williamson Casboult Gibbons

Plenty of good players left out. These guys could all easily fit into the side and it's a side that can be restructured really well.

If O'Brien is out of form or we move Walsh on the ball we put Martin to a wing and bring in Gibbons.
Can move McKay to the ruck and go more mobile up forward but still tall enough at times.
Can throw Setterfield to a wing or in the middle.
Side may lack a genuine smaller centerman, hopefully Dow and/or Stocker come on.
Marchbank can come in and replace anyone in defence if fit just about.
Williamson if fit is probably best 22.
Kennedy is a really good option up forward.
Hard to leave Gibbons out.
TDK and Pittonett will be solid or better ruck options
Owies is my darkhorse for the season.
There is a very good chance that we draft someone with pick 9 who plays straight away.

My round 1 team:

Simpson. Weitering. Plowman.
Marchbank. Jones. SPS.
O’Brien. Ed Curnow. Walsh.
Cuningham. C Curnow. Martin.
McKay. McGovern. Betts.
R. Kreuzer. Cripps. Murphy.

I. Gibbons. Fisher. Setterfield. Stocker.
E. Dow. Casboult. Newman. JSOS.

and to round 23:

Docherty. Weitering. Plowman.
Marchbank. Jones. Stocker.
O’Brien. SPS. Setterfield.
Cuningham. C Curnow. Martin.
McKay. McGovern. Betts.
R. Kreuzer. Cripps. Walsh.

I. Dow. Williamson. Murphy. Simpson.
E. Gibbons. Casboult. E Curnow. Fisher.

Can McKay play second ruck sufficiently to keep Casboult out of the 22, which allows an extra midfielder/ runner on the bench?

Emergencies plus Kennedy, Lang, Macreadie, TDK and Pick #9 make for decent depth.

Hi All, this was hard, due to deep list we have, its been a long time coming
all fit and can play

My round 1 team:

Docherty. Jones. SPS.
Ed Curnow. Setterfield. Walsh.
Fisher. C Curnow. Martin.
McGovern. McKay. Betts.

I. Gibbons. Newman. JSOS. Marchbank.
E. Dow. Stocker. O’Brien. Cuningham.
(this is an older side - I can see why we let go Daisy)

and to round 23: Simpson must play the last game

Docherty. Jones. SPS.
Setterfield. Stocker. Walsh.
McKay. McGovern. Betts.

R. Kreuzer. Cripps. JSOS .

I. Murphy. E Curnow Gibbons. Marchbank
E. Newman. O’Brien Cuningham. Williamson. Dow

Next year if Simpson retires then the likes of Williamson or O’Brien could be possible replacement

If Docherty has a good season, then Newman will be struggling to fit in the side (Docherty replacement)
I have placed Murphy and E Curnow on the bench due to age but will be in the side.
with Murphy getting older, his replacement could be Stocker, then I would get as much games into him to play with Cripps in the middle
E Curnow not far behind Murphy, I like to see JSOS becoming our number one tagger (love the job he did on Fyfe)

Dow is a funny one, understand he had second year blues (at the blues) but could be an improve player and would get into the side
I think Gibbons is a midfielder than a forward and we need a replacement for Eddie if he retires

pick 9 wont play, as we have no real need to blood player quickly - make him earn his spot

and to round 1 2021:

Williamson. Weitering. Plowman.
Docherty. Jones. SPS.
Dow. Setterfield. Walsh.
McGovern. McKay. Cuningham

R. Kreuzer. Cripps. Stocker

I. JSOS. E Curnow Gibbons. Marchbank

Murphy might retire, if not in the side

Doc Jones Plowman
Marchbank Weitering Newman
Walsh Curnow Martin
Fisher Curnow Cuningham
Betts McKay McGovern

Kreuzer Cripps Murphy

Setterfield Simpson SPS Gibbons

Bloody tough on SOJ but I went with the run of Gibbons instead.

It has the potential of being a very good team.
Would be brilliant should Betts stand up and kick around that 30 goals next year.
A productive trade period and we may just plug up the holes we didn't this time around.

One advantage on not having cashed in our chips though, is that we can be a lot more specific in terms of needs after the pre-season and early season form.
Maybe Papley was 'the one' but then again, even better possibilities may yet front up. who knows?

Including Martin I'd go -

Simpson Jones Plowman
Docherty Weitering Marchbank

Kreuzer Cripps Dow
Walsh Setterfield Fisher

Cuningham CCurnow Murphy
Betts McKay McGovern

ECurnow Martin SPS Newman

More than anything, just want to se relatively uninterrupted pre-seasons for Dow, Setterfield, Marchbank, Williamson and O'Brien....and of course, Docherty

EDIT: Stocker. I want Stocker to become a regular from day 1 next year. Could really surprise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with you on Stocker, Harks. He's worked his ass off this year and battled injury so was held back. I can see him doing a Cripps and coming into his own (and the seniors) from Year 2. Dare I say a 2020 Rising Star smokey?

Think he'll play a bit of defence or around the ground, but will get a bit more time in the guts - both as our main mover in the NBs and a pinch hitter for the Blues.

I'm with you on Stocker, Harks. He's worked his ass off this year and battled injury so was held back. I can see him doing a Cripps and coming into his own (and the seniors) from Year 2. Dare I say a 2020 Rising Star smokey?

Think he'll play a bit of defence or around the ground, but will get a bit more time in the guts - both as our main mover in the NBs and a pinch hitter for the Blues.

I saw him as a first year player that didn't play like a first year player.
No doubt he has plenty of work to do, but even in his early NB's games, he didn't look the least bit intimidated and was often the one intimidating his somewhat older and more mature opponents.
If all comes together for Stocker, I see him as one of those types that get tagged as enforcers.

I saw him as a first year player that didn't play like a first year player.
No doubt he has plenty of work to do, but even in his early NB's games, he didn't look the least bit intimidated and was often the one intimidating his somewhat older and more mature opponents.
If all comes together for Stocker, I see him as one of those types that get tagged as enforcers.
This. ^^^^

Stocker could be the most effective one of our younger kids within two years. Got big hopes for Walsh, Dow, Setterfield etc. and still think Stocker could be more important than any of them.

It has the potential of being a very good team.
Would be brilliant should Betts stand up and kick around that 30 goals next year.
A productive trade period and we may just plug up the holes we didn't this time around.

One advantage on not having cashed in our chips though, is that we can be a lot more specific in terms of needs after the pre-season and early season form.
Maybe Papley was 'the one' but then again, even better possibilities may yet front up. who knows?

Including Martin I'd go -

Simpson Jones Plowman
Docherty Weitering Marchbank

Kreuzer Cripps Dow
Walsh Setterfield Fisher

Cuningham CCurnow Murphy
Betts McKay McGovern

ECurnow Martin SPS Newman

More than anything, just want to se relatively uninterrupted pre-seasons for Dow, Setterfield, Marchbank, Williamson and O'Brien....and of course, Docherty

EDIT: Stocker. I want Stocker to become a regular from day 1 next year. Could really surprise.
So what does your RD23 look like then?
A good problem to have with deciding who to squeeze out... I would like to see that every week in the team selection!

Hi All, this was hard, due to deep list we have, its been a long time coming
all fit and can play

My round 1 team:

Docherty. Jones. SPS.
Ed Curnow. Setterfield. Walsh.
McGovern. McKay. Betts.

I. Gibbons. Newman. JSOS. Marchbank.
E. Dow. Stocker. O’Brien. Cuningham.
(this is an older side - I can see why we let go Daisy)

and to round 23: Simpson must play the last game

Docherty. Jones. SPS.
Setterfield. Stocker. Walsh.
McKay. McGovern. Betts.

R. Kreuzer. Cripps. JSOS .

I. Murphy. E Curnow Gibbons. Marchbank
E. Newman. O’Brien Cuningham. Williamson. Dow

Next year if Simpson retires then the likes of Williamson or O’Brien could be possible replacement

If Docherty has a good season, then Newman will be struggling to fit in the side (Docherty replacement)
I have placed Murphy and E Curnow on the bench due to age but will be in the side.
with Murphy getting older, his replacement could be Stocker, then I would get as much games into him to play with Cripps in the middle
E Curnow not far behind Murphy, I like to see JSOS becoming our number one tagger (love the job he did on Fyfe)

Dow is a funny one, understand he had second year blues (at the blues) but could be an improve player and would get into the side
I think Gibbons is a midfielder than a forward and we need a replacement for Eddie if he retires

pick 9 wont play, as we have no real need to blood player quickly - make him earn his spot

and to round 1 2021:

Williamson. Weitering. Plowman.
Docherty. Jones. SPS.
Dow. Setterfield. Walsh.
McGovern. McKay. Cuningham

R. Kreuzer. Cripps. Stocker

I. JSOS. E Curnow Gibbons. Marchbank

Murphy might retire, if not in the side
Where is Papley?

FB: Plowman Jones Marchbank
HB: Docherty Weitering Williamson
C: Murphy Walsh O'Brien
HF: Cuningham C.Curnow Fisher
FF: McGovern McKay Betts

R: Kreuzer Cripps E.Curnow

Int: Setterfield, SPS, Simpson, <???>

Final spot from: Dow, JSOS, Stocker, Pick 9 (probably Martin and Newnes)

Depth: Levi, TDK, Newman, Lang, Gibbons

Assumptions:

My Round 1 Team

B:

EMG:

Docherty -

---

B:

EMG:

Simpson -

---

Btw you have 23 in your best 22!

R1

B: Simpson Jones Newman

HB: Marchbank Weitering Plowman

W: Newnes C: Cripps W: Docherty

R: Kreuzer E Curnow Murphy

HF: Walsh C Curnow Martin

FF: Betts McKay McGovern

I/C: Casboult SPS J Silvagni Setterfield

Others:
Kennedy
Fisher