Prediction Your 2020 Best 22 (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

For my best 22

Simmo Weitering Newman
Doc Jones SPS

I think that Newman has surpassed Plowman, who pretty much plays the same deep safety role as Simmo. His path back to best 22 is to replace Simmo. Willo will probably need to replace Newman or one of the wingmen.
This the same Plowman who was 3rd in the best and fairest?
Boom.
yep. Sorry just think he and Simmo play the same role. In our best 22 I think it has to be one or the other.

This the same Newman that doesn't really lock down on defenders? If anything I reckon we'll have Doc, Simmo and Newman competing for 2 fairly similar spots, falling back into the space as cover, and then moving/distributing the ball forward. I rate Newman, but I just can't see him taking Plow's role.

For what it's worth, my round 1 back 6+1 is probably similar, something like
FB: Plow Jones Simmo
HB: Doc Weitering SPS
INT: Willo/Newman/Newnes/Stocker?...

With the caveat that my current 'best 22' back 6+1 is probably this:
FB: Plow Jones Marchbank
HB: Doc Weitering SPS/Simmo
INT: SPS/Simmo
(Willo, Stocker, Kemp, Newman, Cottrell, Newnes, etc all in the mix/pushing)

Post Draft.

FB. Plowman, Jones, Simmo
HB. Newman, Weiters, Docherty
C. SPS, E Curnow, Murphy
HF. Martin, C Curnow, JSOS
FF. Betts, McKay, McGovern
Foll. Kruezer, Cripps, Walsh
IC. Marchbank, Gibbons, Fisher, Setterfield

Emergency/Unlucky to miss out. Casboult, Cunningham, Dow, Kennedy, LOB, Newnes, Stocker, Williamson

Gee whiz, that was tough. Could easily interchange 3 or 4 of those.

Imagine when TDK, Pittonet start putting pressure on Kruez and Casboult.

Not to mention Macreadie, Goddard, Cottrell and the new draftees.

I wouldn't write Lang off yet also, he could be the next Caboult/Jones resurrection.

Round 1 side:

FB. Plowman, Jones, Simmo
HB. Docherty, Weitering, SPS
C. Murphy, Ed, Walsh
HF. Martin, McGovern, Kennedy
FF. Betts, McKay, Cuningham
Foll. Kruezer, Cripps, Setterfield

IC. Newman, Casboult, Fisher, Newnes

Next in line: JSOS, Williamson, Stocker, LOB, Gibbons, Dow

I'm assuming Charlie & Marchbank won't be ready.

Any of those next in line could easily be picked so we're in good shape. Form, match ups, injuries, niggles to all dictate team selection to a level we haven't seen for some years.

FB. Plowman, Jones, Docherty
HB. Marchbank, Weiters, SPS
C. O’Brien, E Curnow, Newnes
HF. Martin, C Curnow, Murphy
FF. Betts, McKay, McGovern
Foll. Kruezer, Cripps, Walsh
IC. Cuningham, Simmo, Fisher, Setterfield

E Newman. Casboult Stocker. Williamson.

Stiff. JSOS. Dow. TDK. Gibbons.

Casboult comes in while Charlie / Harry injured or not ready. TDK next.

Newnes and O’Brien in the 22 on the wings ahead of Stocker, Williamson and Newman. Martin and Betts push out Gibbons and Stocker, and put Cuningham and Fisher on interchange.

When I look at interchange, emergencies and the stiff group, I see a really good squad.

Put this in the List Management thread, but it belongs here.

First XVIII

B: Docherty, Jones, Plowman
HB: Marchbank, Weitering, Samo
C: Walsh, Cripps, Setterfield
HF: McGovern, McKay, Martin
F: Cunners, Charlie, Betts
Foll: Kreuzer, Ed, Murphy

4 spots up for grabs.
But I'd lock Jack in for the 7th forward spot, so 2 mids and a defender to be added.

B: Plowman Jones Docherty
HB: Petrevski-Seton Weitering Williamson
C: Walsh Cripps Cottrell
HF: Cuningham McKay Martin
F: McGovern C. Curnow Betts
R: Kreuzer Setterfield E Curnow
I: Murphy Silvagni Gibbons Stocker

E: Fisher Dow De Koning/Casboult Newman

This is nice. Only change I'd make is Fisher (who looks very good thus far in pre-season) for Cottrell (who is on his way but needs to learn to find the ball more and involve himself).

Wondering where Simpson fits if everyone is available. We'd hope (for the long-term) that others begin to move past him.

I'm also hoping with a full pre-season that Stocker is physically ready to endure an entire AFL match. If so, I agree that he is best 22, he's a ******* beast.

This is nice. Only change I'd make is Fisher (who looks very good thus far in pre-season) for Cottrell (who is on his way but needs to learn to find the ball more and involve himself).

Wondering where Simpson fits if everyone is available. We'd hope (for the long-term) that others begin to move past him.

I'm also hoping with a full pre-season that Stocker is physically ready to endure an entire AFL match. If so, I agree that he is best 22, he's a ******* beast.
For sure, the Cottrell selection is more how I expect things to pan out as the season goes on.

I'm not bullish on the following players in 2020, for various reasons:

O'Brien
Simpson
Dow
Marchbank

I do think Fisher and even Kennedy will play good senior footy for us though. At this stage though I much prefer the versatility and hardness of both JSOS and Gibbons, and am really hoping the latter gets unleashed with more midfield time (would like JSOS to spend a lot more time in the midfield too, possibly swapping out with Cripps when we want to use him forward).

I think Stocker is an incredibly exciting player and he already has a strong body, I'd much rather fast track his development rather than play a Newnes, for example (Newnes will be a good senior depth option when the inevitable injuries come, and a much better one than what we've relied on in the recent past).

It's going to be a seriously exciting year when you factor in the imminent arrival of De Koning, and the fact that one or two of the new recruits will likely put their hand up for senior selection, as invariably happens (I'm thinking Ramsay could be a bit of an early bolter, fitness dependent).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've tried to do this a few times now, but I just can't get there.

This is the best squad we have had in years, and it will continue to improve.

The best I can do at this stage is put forward a list of "locks" ie. those who I think are certainties to feature when fully fit. And at this point in time I have 15.

Competition for spots will be red hot and that alone will lift the performances at both AFL and VFL level.

If injuries finally give us a little respite this year, we'll be well and truly on our way. If we get kissed on the dick to the levels Brisbane has over the past few years, well...

The consensus 22 over the next month or two will be fascinating. There will not be a clear consensus IMO.

I've tried to do this a few times now, but I just can't get there.

This is the best squad we have had in years, and it will continue to improve.

The best I can do at this stage is put forward a list of "locks" ie. those who I think are certainties to feature when fully fit. And at this point in time I have 15.

Competition for spots will be red hot and that alone will lift the performances at both AFL and VFL level.

If injuries finally give us a little respite this year, we'll be well and truly on our way. If we get kissed on the dick to the levels Brisbane has over the past few years, well...

The consensus 22 over the next month or two will be fascinating. There will not be a clear consensus IMO.
Yep. I've had the same trouble. A lot will come down to injury/recovery and pre-season form.

Backline: Jones & Weiters are locks. Willo, Doc, Marchbank will hopefully be fit and ready to go. All competing against Newman, Simmo, Plowman, SPS.

Mids: Crippa, Ed, Murph, Walsh, SPS, Fish, Setterfield, Dow, Stocker, Kennedy, JSOS can all play through there

Wings: All of a sudden we have a plethora of options: Walsh/O'Brien/Newnes/Murph/Fish/Simmo/Setterfield/SPS/Willo/Cottrell

Forwards:
Charlie & Harry racing time to be fit for the start of the season. Levi & McGovern playing the KPF roles with JSOS? Kennedy, TDK trying to find a spot. You'd think Jack Martin & Eddie are locks. Cuningham, Fish & Gibbons fighting for the other small forward spot.

All being equal, the players who can play multiple positions will probably be selected if there is a battle for a certain position. JSOS & Setterfield should be locks for this reason.

LOCKS
  1. Jones
  2. Weiters
  3. Plowman (3rd in our B & F - rated highly by the club)
  4. SPS
  5. Simmo (I can't see him playing 2's in the early rounds - may change later in the year, but not at the start)
  6. Walsh
  7. Cripps
  8. Martin
  9. McGovern
  10. Betts
  11. Kreuzer
  12. Setterfield
  13. E Curnow
  14. Murph
  15. Silvagni
  16. Cas (love his versatility - 2nd ruck, back up KPF & KPD)
  17. Fisher (rated highly by the coaches - can't see him playing 2's)

* Doc, Charlie, Harry are obvious locks IF fit.

THAT'S 20 LOCKS IF ALL FIT.

How do we fit in Dow, Stocker, Newnes, Cuningham, Newman, Marchbank, Gibbons, Kennedy, LOB, TDK, Cottrell etc?

Yep. I've had the same trouble. A lot will come down to injury/recovery and pre-season form.

Backline: Jones & Weiters are locks. Willo, Doc, Marchbank will hopefully be fit and ready to go. All competing against Newman, Simmo, Plowman, SPS.

Mids: Crippa, Ed, Murph, Walsh, SPS, Fish, Setterfield, Dow, Stocker, Kennedy, JSOS can all play through there

Wings: All of a sudden we have a plethora of options: Walsh/O'Brien/Newnes/Murph/Fish/Simmo/Setterfield/SPS/Willo/Cottrell

Forwards: Charlie & Harry racing time to be fit for the start of the season. Levi & McGovern playing the KPF roles with JSOS? Kennedy, TDK trying to find a spot. You'd think Jack Martin & Eddie are locks. Cuningham, Fish & Gibbons fighting for the other small forward spot.

All being equal, the players who can play multiple positions will probably be selected if there is a battle for a certain position. JSOS & Setterfield should be locks for this reason.

LOCKS
  1. Jones
  2. Weiters
  3. Plowman (3rd in our B & F - rated highly by the club)
  4. SPS
  5. Simmo (I can't see him playing 2's in the early rounds - may change later in the year, but not at the start)
  6. Walsh
  7. Cripps
  8. Martin
  9. McGovern
  10. Betts
  11. Kreuzer
  12. Setterfield
  13. E Curnow
  14. Murph
  15. Silvagni
  16. Cas (love his versatility - 2nd ruck, back up KPF & KPD)
  17. Fisher (rated highly by the coaches - can't see him playing 2's)

* Doc, Charlie, Harry are obvious locks IF fit.

THAT'S 20 LOCKS IF ALL FIT.

How do we fit in Dow, Stocker, Newnes, Cuningham, Newman, Marchbank, Gibbons, Kennedy, LOB, TDK, Cottrell etc?
Premiership sides require a squad of up to 30 players.

WOW. What a bloody difficult exercise that was. Still can't believe how many I have missing out. There's about 8 blokes in the reserves who you could easily claim are best 22. Going to be fierce competition for spots this year. Plenty of depth across the park.

FIRSTS-
FB: Simpson Jones Plowman
HB: SPS Weitering Docherty
C: Fisher Walsh Setterfield
FOL: Kruezer Cripps Murphy
HF: Martin C.Curnow Cuningham
FF: McGovern McKay Betts
INT: JSOS, Gibbons, ED, Kennedy

Reserves-
FB: Newman Macreadie Williamson
HB: Newnes Goddard Marchbank
C: O'Brien Dow Cottrell
FOL: De Koning Kemp Stocker
HF: Polson Casboult Lang
FF: Honey BSOS Owies
Int: Pittonett Philp O'Dwyer Ramsay Phillips

Few guys I see pushing hard for spots (and could very well play round 1)-

Willamson- Just want him in the best 22 so bad. Can't justify taking any of the backline out though. Will have to knock down the door. Want to see him take simos spot by years end.

Newman- He's here to play AFL footy. Showed how good his best is. Should be pushing for Simpsons spot.

Newnes- I feel he will play plenty of footy this year, just don't see whos spot he takes.

Marchbank- Easy best 22 on talent. Been injured. Whos spot does he take? Probably more talented than plowman, but Plow just finished 3rd in our BNF

Dow/ O'brien/ Stocker/Kemp - 4 first round pick midfielders coming through. These guys need to be pushing for Gibbons, Eds and Murphys spots.

Casboult- Every year we think he will drop away, but just finds a way to get games. Will probably start round 1 due to Charlies injury. Keep playing good footy and who knows.

Our forward line has the least depth right now. But I guess Fisher and SPS can push forward allowing one of our backmen and Midfielders to come in.

We are starting to get some serious talent on this list. Will finish ALOT higher this year than most of the football world will be expecting.

PUMPED. Bring on 2020

2020 Best 22:

FB: Plowman Weitering Marchbank
HB: SPS Jones Docherty
C: Murphy Setterfield E. Curnow
HF: Martin C. Curnow Newnes
FF: McGovern McKay Betts
R: Kruezer Cripps Walsh
INT: Newman Simpson Gibbons Levi

Very Unlucky: Dow O'Brien Stocker Fisher Silvagni Williamson

The best thing about our list right now is that we can put together a very solid Best 22 for the 2020 season, while also being able to project forward and recognizing how much potential our 2021 side has. There are a number of guys that are primed and ready to take over spots that some of the older, more seasoned guys might be just about ready to relinquish after the 2020 season. Based on these relatively realistic projections, I think there's a pretty clear path for us to becoming a Top 4 side by 2021.

2021 Potential Best 22:

FB: Plowman Weitering Marchbank
HB: SPS Jones Docherty
C: Kemp Setterfield Stocker
HF: Martin C. Curnow Fisher
FF: McGovern McKay Papley*
R: TDK Cripps Walsh
INT: Newman LOB Dow Levi

Just Missing Out: Murphy, E. Curnow, Betts, Newnes, Simpson, Gibbons, Kruezer

Lock in certs as below. This is based on regard within the club, optics and team balance.

FB: Plowman, Jones, Simpson
HB: SPS, Weitering, Docherty
R: Kreuzer, Murphy, E Curnow
HF: Avail, C Curnow, Martin
FF: Betts, McKay, Casboult

Int: Avail, Avail, Avail, Avail

Lock in certs as below. This is based on regard within the club, optics and team balance.

HF: Avail, C Curnow, Martin

Int: Avail, Avail, Avail, Avail

Ahh, the Avail quintuplets. I've heard they have the running power of the Curnow's and the effort of the SIlvagni's. Should make decent players.

My preferred team for the start of the season given the lock in certs.

HF: Cuningham, C Curnow, Martin

Int: Marchbank, O'Brien, Fisher, Silvagni

Emg: McGovern, Newman, Stocker

Depending on their fitness to resume playing swap the following players.
C. Curnow for McGovern
Marchbank for Newman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back