Prediction Your 2020 Best 22 (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah I was shocked at that result

I just don't see what most others including our coaches do with Plowman.

Is very slow, I haven't seen him really hurt anyone with his bulk, is very shakey with ball in hand I always want him taking the safe option.

He's very strong and can hold the space but a really fast or fall forward would be happy to see him imo.

I could be wrong but I'm on team Marchbank and Williamson

A really fast forward like Charlie Cameron? Plow shut him down. A few weeks later he was playing on Jack Darling.

Plow is pretty much the only guy that can successfully play on such a variety of players, and most of the time he gets the s*** jobs.

Not to mention continuity is king, and I'd prefer us not have to drop & re-select players every 2nd week to cater for teams running different fwd setups each week (3 tall + 3 small, 1 tall + 3 med + 2 small, 2 tall + 2 med + 2 small, etc).

I still reckon our first 4 defenders picked are Doc, Weiters, Jones, and Plow (Samo probably next in line if he's now made the semi-permanent transition to HBF)

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeah I was shocked at that result

I just don't see what most others including our coaches do with Plowman.

Is very slow, I haven't seen him really hurt anyone with his bulk, is very shakey with ball in hand I always want him taking the safe option.

He's very strong and can hold the space but a really fast or fall forward would be happy to see him imo.

I could be wrong but I'm on team Marchbank and Williamson
That’s the thing though. Williamson is completely unproven and I can’t think of a single shutdown job Marchbank has ever done.
For me both those guys are much more exciting prospects but for them to take Plowman’s role they pretty much have to do something they have never done before. (Unless we play an entire backline outside of our KPD’s who don’t actually defend)

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
That’s the thing though. Williamson is completely unproven and I can’t think of a single shutdown job Marchbank has ever done.
For me both those guys are much more exciting prospects but for them to take Plowman’s role they pretty much have to do something they have never done before. (Unless we play an entire backline outside of our KPD’s who don’t actually defend)

Doc and Simpson can defend

And just you wait on Williamson

There is no doubt in my mind

If he were a stock id be remortgaging the house to invest

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
A really fast forward like Charlie Cameron? Plow shut him down. A few weeks later he was playing on Jack Darling.

Plow is pretty much the only guy that can successfully play on such a variety of players, and most of the time he gets the s*** jobs.

Not to mention continuity is king, and I'd prefer us not have to drop & re-select players every 2nd week to cater for teams running different fwd setups each week (3 tall + 3 small, 1 tall + 3 med + 2 small, 2 tall + 2 med + 2 small, etc).

I still reckon our first 4 defenders picked are Doc, Weiters, Jones, and Plow (Samo probably next in line if he's now made the semi-permanent transition to HBF)

We can cherry pick

There was footage of Degoey, Stephenson and some other Collingwood forward discussing how they play together

The footage they were using was vs Carlton and basically every goal they kicked was on Plowman and one of them even said something about he saw he was on Plowman so knew he'd have him on the lead.

Ill defer to the coaches and i don't think he's terrible, just that I can't see what most others see in Plowman

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
We can cherry pick

There was footage of Degoey, Stephenson and some other Collingwood forward discussing how they play together

The footage they were using was vs Carlton and basically every goal they kicked was on Plowman and one of them even said something about he saw he was on Plowman so knew he'd have him on the lead.

Ill defer to the coaches and i don't think he's terrible, just that I can't see what most others see in Plowman

That is the major issue for the back 6 for the near future imo. The quick small/ medium forward on the hard lead. I don't think we have an answer at this point in time.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Doc and Simpson can defend

And just you wait on Williamson

There is no doubt in my mind

If he were a stock id be remortgaging the house to invest
Again Williamson has never done a job on a player and was never something he done. Doc and Simpson play loose.

On the Stephenson, DeGoey thing. They would kill any of our players on the lead. They were just going to a position where they play that leading role and we had Plowman playing in the role to stop that. Put any of our defenders on them and they get beaten one on one. The only player with any chance against them on the lead would be Jones and they would turn him around no worries.

skadoosh

Premiership Player
May 26, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
We can cherry pick

Got a link for this video?

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I was and still am very surprised he came third. I think he is ok and he definitely tries which is great but I don’t think he is up to the standard required to keep his spot when we have a full team to choose from.
You might be best served having a look at the caliber of opponents that he played on throughout the year. He consistently took the opposition's best small to medium forward (e.g. Charlie Cameron) and beat them. There is no way that you would play Marchbank or Williamson on these players.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
You might be best served having a look at the caliber of opponents that he played on throughout the year. He consistently took the opposition's best small to medium forward (e.g. Charlie Cameron) and beat them. There is no way that you would play Marchbank or Williamson on these players.
cameron was ineffective that match but I’m not sure it had too much to do with how plow played. Cameron will beat plow and most defenders with one leg in the air. Guy is a freak and extremely quick.

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
cameron was ineffective that match but I’m not sure it had too much to do with how plow played. Cameron will beat plow and most defenders with one leg in the air. Guy is a freak and extremely quick.
I can cop the occasional misguided post dissing our heart and soul players, but you are repetitive, and Plow's efforts against Cameron were phenomenal. Can't cop this quietly.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I can cop the occasional misguided post dissing our heart and soul players, but you are repetitive, and Plow's efforts against Cameron were phenomenal. Can't cop this quietly.
That's why we pay top dollar for coaches who supposedly take an unbiased look at every potential eventuality on match day whereas internet forums are available for anyone to push their agendas.

Cavalicious

Cuts the Oranges
May 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Miami Heat
My Round 1 team for Richmond. Assumption is we have a fully fit list to pick from.

B. Plowman Jones Weitering
HB. SPS Casboult Docherty
C. Walsh Cripps Newnes
HF. Martin Gov Charlie
F. Betts H Murphy
Foll. Kruez Ed Gibbons

Int
Simpson Stocker Fisher Setterfield

Emg
Dow O'Brien Jack Marchbank

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Round 1 team for Richmond. Assumption is we have a fully fit list to pick from.

B. Plowman Jones Weitering
HB. SPS Casboult Docherty
C. Walsh Cripps Newnes
HF. Martin Gov Charlie
F. Betts H Murphy
Foll. Kruez Ed Gibbons

Int
Simpson Stocker Fisher Setterfield

Emg
Dow O'Brien Jack Marchbank

hilarious.......

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
How would a starting midfield of Stocker, Dow and Philp fair in the VFL? I’m not familiar with the league.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Probably a bit young and inexperienced all in at the one time maybe on the odd occasion probably all depending on the opposition setup , if Kennedy Gibbons were playing in the vfl I'd at least one if not both of them in with Dow then rotating the other two Stoker and Philp through there in bursts...

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I honestly think we can have the best back six in the comp over a number of years.

Lock in Jones and Weitering as our defensive twin towers. With Marchbank as our tall intercept.

Doc and Simpson for 2020 at least. With Williamson hopefully in a similar role. I am so bullish on his skill and talent.

Plowman cops in but considering he finished so high in the BF he must do a lot that is just missed?

So our starting 6 would be something like Weitering, Doc, Plowman, Marchbank, Simpson and Jones.

With Levi as emergency back up in 2020, SPS and Williamson off the bench.

I like it a lot

vBrad

Rookie
Jan 11, 2014
Beachmere, Queensland, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
I honestly think we can have the best back six in the comp over a number of years.

Lock in Jones and Weitering as our defensive twin towers. With Marchbank as our tall intercept.

Doc and Simpson for 2020 at least. With Williamson hopefully in a similar role. I am so bullish on his skill and talent.

Plowman cops in but considering he finished so high in the BF he must do a lot that is just missed?

So our starting 6 would be something like Weitering, Doc, Plowman, Marchbank, Simpson and Jones.

With Levi as emergency back up in 2020, SPS and Williamson off the bench.

I like it a lot

Back 6 + bench is a tough selection process for me at the moment.

I agree that Jones, and Weitering are our talls, and Marchbank our tall intercept.
Given both Docherty and SPS are training with the backs, they must be locked as our 2 running backs.

Leaves 2 positions from Newman, Williamson, Simpson, Plowman and Stocker.

Great problem to have.

For me, it's Plowman as a shut down player for our 6th man, but the bench player could be anything. I feel like loyalty picks Simmo, 2019 form picks Newman, and potential picks Willow. But I'm going with Stocker for some hardness. My back 6+1 is

FB Plowman Jones Marchbank
HB Docherty Weitering. SPS
*Bench Stocker

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
Potential round 1 lineup taking into account injuries and training reports.

Or in other words - some s**t I just made up.

FB: Plowman Jones Simpson
HB: Docherty Weitering Newman
C: SPS Walsh LOB
R: Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
HF: Martin McGovern Fisher
F: Betts McKay Casboult
Int: JSOS E. Curnow Marchbank Setterfield

Emergency: Kennedy Dow Cuningham Gibbons

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Back 6 + bench is a tough selection process for me at the moment.

I agree that Jones, and Weitering are our talls, and Marchbank our tall intercept.
Given both Docherty and SPS are training with the backs, they must be locked as our 2 running backs.

Leaves 2 positions from Newman, Williamson, Simpson, Plowman and Stocker.

Great problem to have.

For me, it's Plowman as a shut down player for our 6th man, but the bench player could be anything. I feel like loyalty picks Simmo, 2019 form picks Newman, and potential picks Willow. But I'm going with Stocker for some hardness. My back 6+1 is

FB Plowman Jones Marchbank
HB Docherty Weitering. SPS
*Bench Stocker

Completely forgot about Newman. Yikes tough to get a gig back there!

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I keep trying to write a best 22 but keep realising I've left people out, make room for them and then the process repeats.

Said it before but I look back to 4-5 years ago even further and begging for players like Graham, Kerridge and McClean to get a game. Because we were that desperate.

Some very talented kids will be in the 2s this year.

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Potential round 1 lineup taking into account injuries and training reports.

Or in other words - some s**t I just made up.

FB: Plowman Jones Simpson
HB: Docherty Weitering Newman
C: SPS Walsh LOB
R: Kreuzer Cripps Murphy
HF: Martin McGovern Fisher
F: Betts McKay Casboult
Int: JSOS E. Curnow Marchbank Setterfield

Emergency: Kennedy Dow Cuningham Gibbons
I don’t recall sps playing on the wing before? What’s your reasoning behind that? For example can he run and kick like lob?

Aug 12, 2012
sv_cheats 1
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
I don’t recall sps playing on the wing before? What’s your reasoning behind that? For example can he run and kick like lob?
He can certainly run and kick but more about fitting him in the side. Might be named on the wing but between him, Doc and Newman, I'd still like to see him playing a fair bit off half back. Could be quite a combo to have Doc and Newman sweeping back, connecting with SPS who brings the ball through the middle with some classy disposal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back