Prediction Your 2020 Best 22 (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

New take on Best 22 for preseason
  • With all of the uncertainty and discussion around what will be our Best 22 come Round 1, perhaps we need to rethink and re-frame the discussion.

Rather than a Consensus 22... perhaps we need to separate our list into 3 groups.

1. Consensus Best 18 players - based on CJMB and his outstanding 2020 Consensus thread, we can safely put the following players into this bracket.

a. Backs - Lachie Plowman, Liam Jones, Sam Docherty, Jacob Weitering
    b. Forwards - Mitch McGovern, Harry McKay*, Jack Martin, Eddie Betts
    c. Midfielders - Sam Walsh, Patrick Cripps, Will Setterfield, Matthew Kreuzer, Ed Curnow, Marc Murphy

This gives us 14 safe players who are as much of a lock for round 1 as any AFL player right now. I will disclaim this saying that its an assumption based on group think, past best 22 spots and 2019 form. I believe Martin was brought in to play seniors and seems to be impressing on the track. Setters may be at the base of this group, but 97% of us gave him a start in our midfield and I was one of those. With a full preseason, he'll shine in 2020.

2. In the conversation - based on highly-rated and well-performing preseason players, these are the guys who'll be in the conversation based on Teague's recent comment i.e. “We’ve probably got 28-30 guys where if we to play tomorrow and they were in our team, we’d be pretty excited.”

I've broken into to 2 x sub-categories of 'probables' vs 'possibles' in true preseason style.

a. Probables - Kade Simpson, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Levi Casboult, Caleb Marchbank*, Nic Newman, David Cuningham, Zac Fisher
    b. Possibles - Jack Silvagni, Matthew Kennedy, Jack Newnes, Michael Gibbons, Tom Williamson, Paddy Dow, Lochie O'Brien, Liam Stocker, Darcy Lang

I'm personally pretty comfortable with the 7 guys listed in my 'probables' list, which would take us to 21 players. But I know we can all make a case (strongly for some) for at least 2 of the 'possibles' - particularly up forward. Only concern if this were used to pick best 22 is that the 'probables' list is very back-heavy so it'll be interesting to see how Amos and Teague set us up at the start of the year. Hence the definition of 'probables'.

This list takes us up to 30 players, which is right on the money when it comes to Teague's comment. If the Round 1 side and emergencies are made up of these 30 players, few of us will be unhappy or surprised.

3. Developing, injured or not up to speed - these are the guys who round out the list and - for various reasons - won't be playing Round 1, with my take on the rationale.
    • Charlie Curnow (already ruled out due to injury)
    • Brodie Kemp (LTI)
    • Tom De Koning (behind Kreuz, Cas and Harry for a spot)
    • Marc Pittonet (behind Kreuz in pecking order)
    • Harrison Macreadie (not ready, still in/out of recovery group)
    • Cameron Polson (not up to speed, being trialled down back)
    • Sam Ramsay (could surprise and would be my pick as a bolter from this crop)
    • Sam Philp (not ready, still green)
    • Josh Honey (developing and could play games in 2020 but not R1)
    • Ben Silvagni (not ready)
    • Finbar O'Dwyer (still a way off)
    • Fraser Phillips (not ready, still green)
    • Matthew Owies (showing nice signs but not ready)
    • Hugh Goddard (behind a few others in pecking order)
    • Matthew Cottrell (developing and could play games in 2020 but not R1)
    Thoughts, Bluebaggers?

*I'm assuming Harry is fit and plays Round 1, with Charlie and Kemp the only guys ruled out at this stage.
    *Marchy is still building back to full fitness and may not start the year in seniors, but is squarely in our best mix

Remove this Banner Ad

Back