Prediction Your 2024 "Breakout" player?

Remove this Banner Ad

It could be anyone and everyone this year. In no particular order, Pedlar and Rachele in the midfield, Nank on the wing, Curtin in the backline. They're the ones I'm most excited to watch. (I already think Michalanney has had his breakout year)

Definition of a break out though?

He kicked 5 in a game. How is that not a break out?
1 game is not a break out for me. Thilthorpe did the exact same thing in his first game, I also wouldn't say he's broken out yet either.

In my opinion we are talking about a season where a player goes from a good player to a Star player. I don't see Rach as a Star player based on his performance's in his first 2 seasons. I still very much see him as a high upside player who hasn't remotely reached his ceiling.

But I do think this year he will take a massive step towards that ceiling. Which is why he's my horse in this race!

1 game is not a break out for me. Thilthorpe did the exact same thing in his first game, I also wouldn't say he's broken out yet either.

In my opinion we are talking about a season where a player goes from a good player to a Star player. I don't see Rach as a Star player based on his performance's in his first 2 seasons. I still very much see him as a high upside player who hasn't remotely reached his ceiling.

But I do think this year he will take a massive step towards that ceiling. Which is why he's my horse in this race!
break out game vs break out season.
I get Ya.

Definition of a break out though?
Good question. Tough question.
Feel like its gotta be a few games of good performance. I'm thinking 5 gamesish but not dotted through out a whole season though, needs to be in a tighter band, so 5 games in a string of 10 where they play at some high level, say 75% of the level you suspect they will get to as a consistent mature player in the comp.

Under this definition, likely, hopefully, not many of our players have broken out yet.

Tex, Laird obviously definitely have. Dawson probably has. ROB has. Butts has. Keays probably has. Crouch has.

Fog maybe. Chayce Jones maybe. Hinge maybe. Rankine? Doubtful.

So many still yet to.

If Rankine plays 50% mid (outside receiver from crouch, Laird)
50% fwd he could seriously win the Brownlow medal.
He’s that ******* good.
He has the tank already, he was on the ground 90%+ of the time last year and covered 15km in quite a few games.

If Rankine plays 50% mid (outside receiver from crouch, Laird)
50% fwd he could seriously win the Brownlow medal.
He’s that ******* good.
He has the tank already, he was on the ground 90%+ of the time last year and covered 15km in quite a few games.
Izak is one of the quickest player in the AFL...

1705834907476.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jed Bews? Harry Cunningham?

Wouldn't have picked those two.

Got all the others...

Jed Bews? Harry Cunningham?

Wouldn't have picked those two.

Got all the others...
Ratugolea?

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also need to keep in mind that the decks they play on would probably get slower as winter takes hold.
Don’t the ovals have first class drainage these days? Unless it’s raining the entire match the ground shouldn’t be soggy for the entire game.
Nothing like the good old days playing in the mud!

I picked Sholl and Schoenberg to have a great 2023 - so massively screwed the pooch on that one.

I did predict Berry's regression although in the same breath said he would have a big 2024 (which I am a lot less confident about now).

I would still love for Sholl to breakout in 2024. He is the exact player we don't have on the list and would compliment our midfield perfectly if he could produce consistently what he has shown glimpses of.

For 2024 - I think Gollant will be our breakout player. Has now had 5 preseasons and despite only having 12 games to his name has shown glimpses. I think he could really end up being a Tom Lynch connector / forward for us and I am hopeful he gets first crack at the vacated McAdam spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back