Your 3k time trial??

Chubberson

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 12, 2011
radelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
RULE - Don't train a physical quality (essentially testing your max each time), train to build it

Enter threshold training.

Do a 6min run on a footy ground goal line to goal line with changes of direction.

Each goal line is 1 so up and back is 2 etc

Let me know what 3rd of the ground you finish in as well (0 - 50 / 50 - 100 / 100 - 150m)

Then can set it up for ya
Yeah I have mixed my running up. Only the 3rd 3km TT I've done. So I got 8 reps of the oval out with 5seconds to spare. I thought about starting rep 9 but just laid in a heap

Last edited:

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Splashed out and bought a GPS type device from Sports Performance Tracking (Melbourne company).
I'm a little suss on their thresholds for walking, jogging etc as I know I walked a lot more, and sprinted a lot less, than what the graphs suggest (on the heat map you can adjust it to show "zones" which are velocities between certain thresholds which seems more accurate but harder to follow without a key).
I'm also curious regarding the algorithms for intensity and 2D/3D load (just cos I'm not 100% sure what they actual correspond to atm).
Apparently I also hit 5.5g twice (reckon this was pulling up from a couple of sprints in the space of a couple of metres), though I'd like to calculate out whether that's plausible with no impact just to confirm the accuracy
1547807987623.png

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I’ve got back into running the last 5 weeks, I’ve run probably 30 of the last 35 days.

I went for an 8.5km in the 42degree heat last Thursday in melbourne, and completed at 23km this morning.

Working during the week, I find weekends a good time to go for some decent runs.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I’ve got back into running the last 5 weeks, I’ve run probably 30 of the last 35 days.

I went for an 8.5km in the 42degree heat last Thursday in melbourne, and completed at 23km this morning.

Working during the week, I find weekends a good time to go for some decent runs.

Marathon man!
I’m happy if I exceed 15km in a week without my shins blowing up haha.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Marathon man!
I’m happy if I exceed 15km in a week without my shins blowing up haha.

I’ve been listening to David Goggins audio book. An ultra marathon runner

I’m old school when it comes to pre season, just like getting the kms in. Build the tank first, then work on the shorter stuff closer to practice games.

My body is pretty resilient, it’s made for endurance. I’m not quick enough to do any soft tissue injuries

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I’ve been listening to David Goggins audio book. An ultra marathon runner

I’m old school when it comes to pre season, just like getting the kms in. Build the tank first, then work on the shorter stuff closer to practice games.

My body is pretty resilient, it’s made for endurance. I’m not quick enough to do any soft tissue injuries

My biggest issue is that from 21 to 28 I wouldn’t have run more than 20m at a time, and even in the few years prior I didn’t do much running due to my compartment syndrome.
Literally had to start from scratch to build up my tolerance to running.
Can still remember getting DOMS in my diaphragm after my first training session a couple of years back; was a rather odd experience.

Interestingly, I reckon I started having injury issues not long after I stopped playing basketball over summer, and traded in running around the school yard during lunch breaks in favour of breaking into the music house/room and hanging out with the girls. In otherwords my stupid teen hormones cost me my work capacity/conditioning right at the time they could’ve done me the most good :drunk:

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah I have mixed my running up. Only the 3rd 3km TT I've done. So I got 8 reps of the oval out with 5seconds to spare. I thought about starting rep 9 but just laid in a heap

s**t didn't get a notification for this

150 x 8 = 1200

1200/300 = 4 meters per second

For the program you'll do an 80m shuttle x 9 reps = 1 set

do 2/3/4 sets

the important part is that you'll cover each 80m rep in 20secs or as close to as you can meaning you have to set a pace and hold it but your EFFORT will increase as you try to hold the pace for 9 reps

rest 3mins btw sets

do once every 5 - 7 days

should improve by 100 - 150m going by results from other people i've had do it

i just did it over xmas and improved 200m but from a lower base

Chubberson

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 12, 2011
radelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
s**t didn't get a notification for this

150 x 8 = 1200

1200/300 = 4 meters per second

For the program you'll do an 80m shuttle x 9 reps = 1 set

do 2/3/4 sets

the important part is that you'll cover each 80m rep in 20secs or as close to as you can meaning you have to set a pace and hold it but your EFFORT will increase as you try to hold the pace for 9 reps

rest 3mins btw sets

do once every 5 - 7 days

should improve by 100 - 150m going by results from other people i've had do it

i just did it over xmas and improved 200m but from a lower base
Cheers Cap I'll let you know how I get on!

Golden_6

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
My personal best for 3km was a 10:38 around 15 months ago, I had just come off training for a half marathon though so I was in the best condition I had ever been in.

Struggling recently and ran a 7:27 2km time trial at footy last night. Went backwards 20 seconds pre christmas, certainly let the holidays get the better of me.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
32.5km run this morning in 2hrs 48 mins.

3250 calories burnt

I live in a hilly area, most of the run was pretty flat but a couple of big hills along the way. I’d feel pretty confident finishing a marathon on a flat course.

Milpool

Cam Rayner Fanclub Jr. Vice President
Oct 23, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's a bloody big run saj_21. I'm flat out running 1km. Been considering that couch to 5k program but would really just put my shoes on and go. I was dubious because of the negativity around joint issues but it really seems like nothing helps cardio like hitting the pavement.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
That's a bloody big run saj_21. I'm flat out running 1km. Been considering that couch to 5k program but would really just put my shoes on and go. I was dubious because of the negativity around joint issues but it really seems like nothing helps cardio like hitting the pavement.

I’ve always been a half decent distance runner and playing footy since I was 5 I’ve done a lot of pre seasons since I was 15/16.

But last year I listened to David Goggins on the joe rogan podcast and have become fascinated with ultra runners.

Funnily enough a 2-3km time trial is harder for me than a 10-12km jog.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs

Recreational running is associated with increased joint health

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

My thinking is the body always wants us to do what is most efficient. It’s basic evolution, if we didn’t find easy ways of doing things we would of died. Hence when you lift weights you get stronger, the body adapts and makes things easier. Same with running, the more frequently you do it the better you get at it.

It’s quite often why I get frustrated with people saying I’ve got a sore this, or sore that your not always going to feel perfect just work trough it.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I like doing approx 1km reps 3x3 with 110 pulse recov.
3min between sets done at race pace plus.
Then at other times 200/200 walk recov x3 x3 at a track for some pace injection.
Recovery can be pulse or timed like 110pulse or 90sec/75/60 sec recs.
This should help with your 3km times.
Always liked doing my 1km reps on a crushed rock path in a park setting, even under distance 2 to 300 fast reps in that environment.

Last edited:

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
My thinking is the body always wants us to do what is most efficient. It’s basic evolution, if we didn’t find easy ways of doing things we would of died. Hence when you lift weights you get stronger, the body adapts and makes things easier. Same with running, the more frequently you do it the better you get at it.

It’s quite often why I get frustrated with people saying I’ve got a sore this, or sore that your not always going to feel perfect just work trough it.
I've enjoyed running all my life (I'm 59) and have almost exclusively run on bitumen and concrete, never had an issue with my knees until a few years ago, they'd get very sore while running, never had it medically investigated, I cut back a lot and mostly gave it away for a while (approx 18 months) but missed it incredibly although stayed active with long brisk walks, trekking, Futsal and Bikram Yoga, I did intermittently attempt comebacks but still had bad knee soreness.

I moved to an area of Brisbane which has numerous quality parks and have started running 90% on grass, the difference is amazing, back enjoying it again, knees still have pain but nowhere near as bad as on concrete/bitumen.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Marathon done. 42.2km in just over 3 hours 58 mins. The terrain around my area is pretty up and down. Would be interested in my time on a flat city course.

Well time for sleep and food

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
I’ve become everything I hate.
First praccy match of the year yesterday and my top speed was clocked with ball in hand lol

Back