- 2 x 1km, 20min Fartlek
- 8x50m, 10x25m, 15x10m, Agility Work, Plyometrics, Short Shuttles
- Mountain Run (approx 7km)

Week Two
- 4 km, Repeat 25 x 40m sprints with 6 second breaks between each
- 2 x 1km (including a 1km Time Trial), 20min Fartlek
- Beep Test, 8x200m

Plan to complete the 2 week cycle 4 times leading up to mid january when I am moving to canberra and hopefully linking in with a NEAFL club. There are a few tests in it (20m sprint, 100m sprint, 3km, 1km and beep test) that will track how I am going.

I found over the last 2 preseasons that doing a 3km time trial every day (or 3-4 times a week) wasn't the best for fitness. You want repeat sprints (longer, like the 200s) and fartlek stuff to really see some improvement.

Should be good!

I have never done a 3km time trial, but have done plenty of 2.4kms whilst in the army. Funnily enough, my best 2.4km was after I got out of the army. It was 9:11, which isn't amazing at all, but I am not a fast runner.

Im about to start this:

TWO WEEK CYCLE

Four sessions per week

Week One
- 3 km Time Trial, 8x200m
- 2 x 1km, 20min Fartlek

Week Two
- Beep Test, 8x200m

Plan to complete the 2 week cycle 4 times leading up to mid january when I am moving to canberra and hopefully linking in with a NEAFL club. There are a few tests in it (20m sprint, 100m sprint, 3km, 1km and beep test) that will track how I am going.

I found over the last 2 preseasons that doing a 3km time trial every day (or 3-4 times a week) wasn't the best for fitness. You want repeat sprints (longer, like the 200s) and fartlek stuff to really see some improvement.

Should be good!
This is exactly the sort of thing i'm looking for as a preaseason regime. What sort of rest times are you giving yourself between sprints and what's included in your plyo and agility work. also your fartlek or do you just mix it up on how your feeling

This is exactly the sort of thing i'm looking for as a preaseason regime. What sort of rest times are you giving yourself between sprints and what's included in your plyo and agility work. also your fartlek or do you just mix it up on how your feeling

Rest times - I think that the best amount of rest time is just less than enough to be (what feels like) fully recovered. Make sense? So if you run 20m, it takes you 5-10 seconds say to get your breath back. You want to be going just before that point. I am about to begin, but Ill post my rest times that I find myself doing on 200s, etc sometime in the next few weeks.

Fartlek - theres a few things I like to do. One is doing 100m sprint then 100m slow jog, other times Ill include things like getting a footy and doing 10 repeat 20m leads over and over having a mate kick the footy to me, etc.

Plyo/agility - That day is focussed on speed over the short distance. Ill be doing squats, lunges and deadlifts with weights to complement that, but here Ill do a few plyos such as single leg bounds, tuck jumps, skips for height, etc. As for agility, just set some cones up and look up a few formations from the net or from training, and also just do the afl standard agility test a few times, etc.

Rest times - I think that the best amount of rest time is just less than enough to be (what feels like) fully recovered. Make sense? So if you run 20m, it takes you 5-10 seconds say to get your breath back. You want to be going just before that point. I am about to begin, but Ill post my rest times that I find myself doing on 200s, etc sometime in the next few weeks.

Fartlek - theres a few things I like to do. One is doing 100m sprint then 100m slow jog, other times Ill include things like getting a footy and doing 10 repeat 20m leads over and over having a mate kick the footy to me, etc.

Plyo/agility - That day is focussed on speed over the short distance. Ill be doing squats, lunges and deadlifts with weights to complement that, but here Ill do a few plyos such as single leg bounds, tuck jumps, skips for height, etc. As for agility, just set some cones up and look up a few formations from the net or from training, and also just do the afl standard agility test a few times, etc.
Sounds very good would be interestted as to what rest times you come up with especially for something like the 8 x 200's
My plyo session the other day was mostly lunges single leg bounds squat jumps and some stuff that i saw on the gary ablett training dvd which wasn't too bad but similar to the rest. also included single leg squats and single leg deadlifts.

I do a 11:10 now at 177cm and 76kg

Back a year ago when I was 67kg I ran a 10:24

Im about to start this:

TWO WEEK CYCLE

Four sessions per week

Week One
- 3 km Time Trial, 8x200m
- 2 x 1km, 20min Fartlek

Week Two
- Beep Test, 8x200m

Should be good!

That looks pretty good. Where are you going to get your overload from? Just an increase in intensity in set distance intervals + intensity/distance in the fartlek?
Planning across 4 week blocks would allow you to factor in a deload and plan your progression better.
What were your test times? 3, 1 and beep?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reality is Ill probably find Ill need to work up to completing that output. Ill be pretty unfit after basically doing nothing (aerobically) since the end of the season. If I find I need to increase it, increasing the length of the fartleks and the number of sprints will be how I do it. Thats just a general framework. Conveniently, Im going away just before christmas (about a months time) which will give me a week or so with reduced runs and such to have a bit oif a break.

Not sure on PBs. Its been a while, Id have to dig out an old spreadsheet from my other computer. I used to run 3.2km loops near my house that was a bit hilly in about 12:00 when I was fit. 1km I havent done that many in my time, and beeps likewise (best probably mid 13s - only ever been doing one or two a preseason the last few years). I went up a level last year for footy to another intensity last year though so my base will be much better to work from this off/preseason.

And also a 17yr old Midfielder, tac cup level??

If I was a midfielder i would definitely be aiming for sub 11 min and close to 10 min if possible.
Sounds tough, but in reality this is what you will need to do if you want to be up there with the better runners.

I haven't done anything since the footy season ended in august/September and have been wanting to start my preseason soon. So I ran my first 3km today to see where I was at and ran 13.06. I want to get in the 11's by the end of the holidays (1st of february) so i can hopefully get over a knee problem I have had for about 2 years.

If you're playing at Tac cup level the clubs fitness staff should have goal times set for you? anyway 11-11:30min would be solid time.

Sounds great, but don't shift your agility & strength programs just to satisfy this aim. If you focus to heavy on running a strong 3k then the other important areas will drop off very very quickly.

ensure there is a balance as you will be measured across 3 key areas - yes work on your poor areas but for goodness sake dont let your best areas drop off as they are the ones that have got you so far.

The balance will generate the stamina etc to get a good 3k time in the end - dont lose sleep over it

Cheers

CC

So it has taken 5 months.... but today I finally broke the magical 15min barrier that has been my goal. :D

The last km was absolute torture but I managed to pump the legs faster and actually run a time of 14:36. Feels so good to have finally achieved what I set out to do - even if it did take me a bit longer than I had anticipated.

Next goal is sub 14mins in time for pre-season in January.

Bit of a bump. Today I ran my latest 3KM since going 14:36 just before the pre-season started. Very happy with my time of 13:20 seeing as this time last year I don't think I could run 3KM nonstop and was chalking up about 18-19 minutes.

I’ve also lost about 8kg's since I started playing footy this year. I’m down to 83kg’s at187cm's. I guess that helps quite a lot with the running.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back