Your 3km time trial??

Jun 28, 2006
NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
THFC, MVFC
its not the time im disapointed with, its n2b. its just ive done a heap of hard work in between our 2nd and 3rd TT and somehow i maneged to go backwards by 3 seconds. thats whats disapointing.

Yeah very understandable. I once had a huge year training, did nothing wrong and didn;t improve, then I backed off training and beat my personal best over the 4km distance.
Might be you are doing too much work? Are you lifting heavier weights? That has an affect on body composition which makes it harder to run.

Good luck.

Bryceson

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vic Bushrangers
Yeah very understandable. I once had a huge year training, did nothing wrong and didn;t improve, then I backed off training and beat my personal best over the 4km distance.
Might be you are doing too much work? Are you lifting heavier weights? That has an affect on body composition which makes it harder to run.

Good luck.
i have started doing weights, but cos im a skinny kid they arent heavy. just terying to build up a little bit......yu think that wouldve had an effect??

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Ouch. First time back, over six months since last proper run, over five years since I was fit.

17:45, and a damn near heart-attack. Funnily enough the last k was the easiest, by the end I felt I was cruising. Double cramp when I stopped though, and very wobbly legged/light-headed. (on a machine).

Tipped the scales on the way out....127kg....scary stuff (football weight about 92 ten years ago...going to get back there this year).

Dew's got nothing on me...

btw, my brother regularly (3x a week) runs 10 minute 3kms as a 'warm-up' (machine goes to 18K) before doing weights. He's scarily fit, but ain't that a bit fast for warming up? He can break 10 running on track (somewhere mid 9s) but I thought warm-up was supposed to be at 70-80%?

Sep 30, 2003
Boston Marathon finish
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Ulan Bator Red Yaks
Simon, if he's only running mid 9's for the 3K he'd be pretty knackered after his "warm-up" of 10 min 3K's. Either that or he's capable of quicker on the track.

I've run 9:44 on the track twice in the past 3 weeks (got lapped in both races by a guy running 8:20 & 8:33 in those races) but I'm not a 16-22y.o guy trying to get fit for footy season, so time comparisons are pointless. Toughing out sessions in this heat might help too, but be careful to not overdo it.

Kegs44

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2005
no where
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Best time was 11.03 when training for a TAC club, these days we do about a 3.6 or 3.8 time trial and i am very unfit compared to those days. Run about a 14.43

pomcrow

Senior List
Jul 6, 2004
Bristol, England
Other Teams
Crows + Central Districts
Ouch. First time back, over six months since last proper run, over five years since I was fit.

17:45, and a damn near heart-attack. Funnily enough the last k was the easiest, by the end I felt I was cruising. Double cramp when I stopped though, and very wobbly legged/light-headed. (on a machine).

Tipped the scales on the way out....127kg....scary stuff (football weight about 92 ten years ago...going to get back there this year).

QUOTE]

Pretty similar situation to you mate. Those first 2K's are a bitch! Am down to 13:42 (started at 14:47) now. Only another 3 mins to shave off!

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Simon, if he's only running mid 9's for the 3K he'd be pretty knackered after his "warm-up" of 10 min 3K's. Either that or he's capable of quicker on the track.

I've run 9:44 on the track twice in the past 3 weeks (got lapped in both races by a guy running 8:20 & 8:33 in those races) but I'm not a 16-22y.o guy trying to get fit for footy season, so time comparisons are pointless. Toughing out sessions in this heat might help too, but be careful to not overdo it.

He must be capable of quicker then, he's barely even breathing hard with 10s after a minute or two.

I asked him since I posted before, and he ran a 9:11 for his pre-season time-trial, but apparently used to run sub-9 consistently, just now he's carrying around an extra 8-10kg of muscle (he's a rugby player) than two years ago. They usually do either 2k or 5k runs, the 3k is just for comparison purposes for state.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wow times are getting out of control, the best time when I was at TAC was a dude by the name of Dave Caccamo, he ran 9.30 or something. I did another 3km yesterday and have gone backwards despite doing a heap of Pre Season and feeling fit, did the 3k in 12.19 which has really given me the shits thought I would have got under 12s. All the fitness aspects of football are overated, means nothing if you cant get a kick on a Saturday.

Jun 28, 2006
NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
THFC, MVFC
i have started doing weights, but cos im a skinny kid they arent heavy. just terying to build up a little bit......yu think that wouldve had an effect??

If anything, light weights help the arms be able to pump the legs a little better. As I said to you before, you might be trying too hard. Get a feel for the pace, run to a time for each kilometre. For example, 11 min for 3 k is approximately 3:40 per km, so train by running 5-10 sec above that pace at around 400m or 800m intervals. Try starting with 3 to 5 with a 3 min break between each.

That's a really good interval session for long running. And dont ever neglect a long run on the Sunday. 1 hr is minimum. Gets your base up and allows you to run at a pace. The long run is always slow and easy, so you can enjoy the sights (perv on the hot chicks walking / running around :)) but it's important because it builds up the capillaries in your blood that allow for extra oxygen to get into the body. More oxygen intake means less lactic when you go to make the extra effort = quicker recovery time = better training = faster times.

GOOD LUCK!!!

I been going about 4 weeks now and have come down from a shocking 13 min for 3 km to 11:45. Not much but my new goal is to go 11:30, then 11:15.

Let us know how you go.

Bryceson

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vic Bushrangers
If anything, light weights help the arms be able to pump the legs a little better. As I said to you before, you might be trying too hard. Get a feel for the pace, run to a time for each kilometre. For example, 11 min for 3 k is approximately 3:40 per km, so train by running 5-10 sec above that pace at around 400m or 800m intervals. Try starting with 3 to 5 with a 3 min break between each.

That's a really good interval session for long running. And dont ever neglect a long run on the Sunday. 1 hr is minimum. Gets your base up and allows you to run at a pace. The long run is always slow and easy, so you can enjoy the sights (perv on the hot chicks walking / running around :)) but it's important because it builds up the capillaries in your blood that allow for extra oxygen to get into the body. More oxygen intake means less lactic when you go to make the extra effort = quicker recovery time = better training = faster times.

GOOD LUCK!!!

I been going about 4 weeks now and have come down from a shocking 13 min for 3 km to 11:45. Not much but my new goal is to go 11:30, then 11:15.

Let us know how you go.
cheers mate that is really good advice:thumbsu:

good luck on getting ur time down mate:thumbsu:

Jun 28, 2006
NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
THFC, MVFC
cheers mate that is really good advice:thumbsu:

good luck on getting ur time down mate:thumbsu:

Why thankyou!!!

You are more than welcome! If you need help again just PM me. I have a few tricks I guess for running in the niddle to long distances that I have picked up through my old running coach.

BLmatt_20

Senior List
May 6, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
a couple of people already know that ive been trying for the NSW rams and scholarships and that and have been doing the 3km time trial every friday with afl training monday tuesday wednesday friday and now sunday (going to give a shot at pennant hills 18s this yr :)).

ive been doing the 3km so that when im 18 and get to draft camp if i make it (just turned 16 so thats 2 or so yrs away) ill be ready for it. my fastest time is 9:48 at the moment which i made last week.

i run this on a road with hills and stuff so i was wondering is there much difference between running it on road and running it on grass?

Jun 28, 2006
NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
THFC, MVFC
a couple of people already know that ive been trying for the NSW rams and scholarships and that and have been doing the 3km time trial every friday with afl training monday tuesday wednesday friday and now sunday (going to give a shot at pennant hills 18s this yr :)).

ive been doing the 3km so that when im 18 and get to draft camp if i make it (just turned 16 so thats 2 or so yrs away) ill be ready for it. my fastest time is 9:48 at the moment which i made last week.

i run this on a road with hills and stuff so i was wondering is there much difference between running it on road and running it on grass?

9:48 is fairly flying mate. Sensational :)
Depends on the grass surface. If you are running on say Homebush or the SCG or something like that where the grass is even and well looked after, it can actually be better for your times.
If it is a dodgy old oval, it can hinder your times.
I've run 2km runs on good ovals and gone under 7:00, then gone on crappy ovals and struggled to run 7:30.....
Good luck, you sound like you are on the right track. Remembering running is not the be all and end all of footy.

BLmatt_20

Senior List
May 6, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
9:48 is fairly flying mate. Sensational :)
Depends on the grass surface. If you are running on say Homebush or the SCG or something like that where the grass is even and well looked after, it can actually be better for your times.
If it is a dodgy old oval, it can hinder your times.
I've run 2km runs on good ovals and gone under 7:00, then gone on crappy ovals and struggled to run 7:30.....
Good luck, you sound like you are on the right track. Remembering running is not the be all and end all of footy.

thanks for tha advice mate. so would it be better to wear footy boots running on a grass surface or runners?

yea well kicking is definantly the strength of my game so i thought i should improve my running alot during pre-season and pretty much have. i got to work on my contested marking i think though.

i would personal advise skins for people who are serious about running. it may just depend on the person but i could definantly tell the difference with wearing them. ur legs dont get heavy or anything.

Jun 28, 2006
NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
THFC, MVFC
thanks for tha advice mate. so would it be better to wear footy boots running on a grass surface or runners?

yea well kicking is definantly the strength of my game so i thought i should improve my running alot during pre-season and pretty much have. i got to work on my contested marking i think though.

i would personal advise skins for people who are serious about running. it may just depend on the person but i could definantly tell the difference with wearing them. ur legs dont get heavy or anything.

If you can get a pair of 12mm spike shoes it will be of some benefit, but a good pair of comfy runners should do.

You sound like a wingman / rover mate. The running and good disposal under pressure are going to be your keys to success. Where do you play?

The skins are Bloody good advice!!!

Good luck

BLmatt_20

Senior List
May 6, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If you can get a pair of 12mm spike shoes it will be of some benefit, but a good pair of comfy runners should do.

You sound like a wingman / rover mate. The running and good disposal under pressure are going to be your keys to success. Where do you play?

The skins are Bloody good advice!!!

Good luck

ok thanks :thumbsu:

umm another strength of my game is my versatility haha. im 180cm 70kg and for club i play ruck rover in u/16s(used to be ruck rover, sometimes ruck and half forward at my old club). i was wing in 18s but that might change this yr because im not as young as last yr haha. and im going to try and play reserve grade this yr aswell.
for rep i play ruck rover and for the regional carnival i played full back most of the time and got picked in swans academy basically for that. ur supposed to get a go in every position for regional carnival but ive found myself full back nearly every game :mad:. i dont mind it for a quarter or 2 but every quarter!! and state side is up for grabs!! it just frustrates me lol

yea i was running the 3km and was like hmm...i wish there was something that didnt make my legs heavy....and BAM! skins was tha answer haha :D

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
An update: (+2 weeks)

Weight: 122kg (down from 127kg)
Body Fat: still >30% (am I dead?) but down nearly 4%
3K: 16:30 (decreasing in 15 second intervals still)

Probably about to hit the "wall" of the easy-loss.

Reveler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2005
Fremantle, WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago, 49ers
I'll have to mark out a 3km track, I've just started running and i'd be interested in what I can do..

I've never been a strong runner though, so at least it will give me a PB to beat each time I guess.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Am 16 years old, 187cm and 78kg

Decided during footy pre-season i would record my times for 3km runs i would do every now and then
Just before footy pre-season (Started November) i went for a 3km run and ran a shocking 13:22 wasnt really happy with that considering i was moving from 16's to playing 18A's for footy. Went a few more times during pre-season and got 12:15 and 12:25. Was really happy with those, goal was to break into the 11 mark though. I went a few more times near the end of last year and got 12:02 and 12 flat. Never went for a run since but i decided to go on Saturday that had just passed.. 11:05 :D Was absolutely flying, felt good. Went again on Sunday just to see how i'd go but i was really tight in the calves and only ran a 12 flat.

Planning to run alot more 3km time trials during the year, goal is the break into the 10's by the end of the footy season.

Back