Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Nov 13, 2004
Proud Queenslander
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team, Roy, Punter.
Does anyone find easier to run on a treadmill then out in the open on a bike track, field, etc.

I don't know but i have always found it easier to run 3km on a treadmill, which i can do without stopping but when i try and run 3km in the open i found it harder, and i have to stop until i build up a bigger fitness base.

I also find it easier to run with someone else. Obviously it has something to do with pacing yourself against the other person.

omit

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 27, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
Does anyone find easier to run on a treadmill then out in the open on a bike track, field, etc.

I don't know but i have always found it easier to run 3km on a treadmill, which i can do without stopping but when i try and run 3km in the open i found it harder, and i have to stop until i build up a bigger fitness base.

I also find it easier to run with someone else. Obviously it has something to do with pacing yourself against the other person.

yeah running on a treadmill is piss easy. my uninformed guess would be because you are not propelling yourself forwards with your strides. and running with a mate (of similar fitness) is always good. gives you someone to pace off and talk to. help keep your mind off the burn

l like the open over the`treadmill l like the open air easier to breath than a stuffy gym and l can change my pace as l feel fit

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
my uninformed guess would be because you are not propelling yourself forwards with your strides.

Yeah, that's exactly it. With those electic treadmills you could get off and they'd still move, they're doing a lot of the work for your legs so you get less tired.

Usually there's an incline you can use on those treadmills and if you set it to about 3% it should even out.

akl0991

Debutant
Aug 14, 2008
Parafield Gardens
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
Hi everyone, i'm 18 at the moment, took this year off footy to study at tafe, looking at getting back into it for the start of next pre-season which is end of november/ early december. i ran 3km in 11:44 the other day. I was wondering what would be a good running program to do so i can improve my 3km times before footy starts.

Reveler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2005
Fremantle, WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago, 49ers
still been focusing on longer distances so i'm at 17:10 for my 3km part..

I might run a straight 3km soon and see what I get..

__aria__

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jan 18, 2008
Lost
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Daniel Harris
ran a 12:02 last night fairly comfortable should be able to shave 30 seconds off that
will be wrapped if i can get that under 11 pretty soon

StickWithEars

Team Captain
Jul 20, 2008
Melb's West
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Athletics
A question I do laps of the Tan (4.4k) the thing I find is I can speedwalk it in around 30 min but I find if I tried to run it I have no tank and finish up walking two thirds is there a way to improve the tank?

Melbourne Tan track = 3.827 kms- that's actually signposted. You must be parked 600 odd metres away to get your measurements (or running another "tan" track in another city:confused:).

Baby steps Bombermania. It's a tricky run (esp. the Anderson St. hill) and maybe you're trying to run too fast and achieve results too soon. Get comfortable. Speedwalk the hills and jog the downhills and flats. Improving the tank is going to happen slowly and steadily, with repeated and consistent exercise. As the distances are marked, set yourself some distance targets (IE 750 jog, 250 speedwalk or 500 jog, 250 walk etc etc) and slowly reduce the time spent recovering from the jog. Don't think about making the distance in an alloted time, just make the f$^king distance. The aerobic fitness and then the speed will come. Be patient.

Good luck.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

StickWithEars

Team Captain
Jul 20, 2008
Melb's West
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Athletics
You're not counting running 7.5 laps around an aths track as part of weekend competition, as it's racing opposed to time-trialling, right?

Sep 29, 2005
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
New York Knicks, Redskins, NUFC
been running around 3 and half to 4km nearly every day for the last 5 weeks, i'll work out 3km and time myself tomorrow:thumbsu:

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
Melbourne Tan track = 3.827 kms- that's actually signposted. You must be parked 600 odd metres away to get your measurements (or running another "tan" track in another city:confused:).

Baby steps Bombermania. It's a tricky run (esp. the Anderson St. hill) and maybe you're trying to run too fast and achieve results too soon. Get comfortable. Speedwalk the hills and jog the downhills and flats. Improving the tank is going to happen slowly and steadily, with repeated and consistent exercise. As the distances are marked, set yourself some distance targets (IE 750 jog, 250 speedwalk or 500 jog, 250 walk etc etc) and slowly reduce the time spent recovering from the jog. Don't think about making the distance in an alloted time, just make the f$^king distance. The aerobic fitness and then the speed will come. Be patient.

Good luck.:thumbsu:

Thanks for that!

I have no idea why I thought it was 4.4K.

Darcy S

Debutant
Jun 20, 2008
Echuca
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Echuca United
Last night did a 3km time trial for the first time in my life. Did it in 11 min 12 secs which I was pretty happy with. Is trying to get it down to about 10 and a half minutes by the start of the season at all realistic?

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Last night did a 3km time trial for the first time in my life. Did it in 11 min 12 secs which I was pretty happy with. Is trying to get it down to about 10 and a half minutes by the start of the season at all realistic?

Age/Height/Weight?? Need some info

Ran 11:25 yesterday which is my PB now for a 3km run. Hoping to crack the 11 minute mark before footy starts, which is in April.

Darcy S

Debutant
Jun 20, 2008
Echuca
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Echuca United
Age/Height/Weight?? Need some info

Ran 11:25 yesterday which is my PB now for a 3km run. Hoping to crack the 11 minute mark before footy starts, which is in April.

16 years old. About 180cm and about 80-85 kilos I would say.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
16 years old. About 180cm and about 80-85 kilos I would say.

Very good time for that build. Seems like you're solidly built already for a 16 year old and to run a 11:12 is very impressive. If you keep running you'll improve over time and eventually crack 11 minutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back