Your 3km time trial??

yeah_nah

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2007
Mat's House =]
AFL Club
West Coast
A lot of people here are either bullshitting, not running 3km or have a dodgy watch.

I ran 3km today, no idea on the time but its been a few months since I last ran (I run for fitness not to compete) and bloody hell it's harder than I remember it was 3 months ago when I was fit :D.

Plan is to do 2 weeks of 3km runs until I'm fit enough to do 5kms again.

I will time myself soon, prediction would be around 12 minutes.

my best would be about the 12 min range.l started back running few weeks back struggled with 2.5 ishkm its not that lam not fit enough ATM its my hammy's.back when l was running 3km every weeknight my body couldn't keep up with my legs now its my legs cant keep up with my body.sounds strange maybe getting to old for this $hit.

yeah_nah

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2007
Mat's House =]
AFL Club
West Coast
my best would be about the 12 min range.l started back running few weeks back struggled with 2.5 ishkm its not that lam not fit enough ATM its my hammy's.back when l was running 3km every weeknight my body couldn't keep up with my legs now its my legs cant keep up with my body.sounds strange maybe getting to old for this $hit.

Nah similar happens with me, legs can't keep up with body even though I am pretty fit.

Get regular Km's into your legs and stretch daily and you will start to notice a difference. I was also suffering pretty bad shin splints, turned out to be due to my calf muscle being about as flexible as a rock.

Stretching + Flexibility is underrated people!

Norfolk & Clew

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton, Richmond Central
We finished pre christmas training and my 3km time was 10.58, absolutely ecstatic with that, the first night of training I did it in 11.40 so have taken a massive chunk off it in only 4 weeks!

Feb 16, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Just got back into doing 3km runs and over the past couple of weeks I've timing myself. I've seen huge results in such a short time.
13/2/11 = 14min 21sec
14/2/11 = 13min 53 sec
16/2/11 = 12min 57sec
17/2/11 = 13min 02sec
18/2/11 = 12min 46sec
Today 23/2/11 = 12min 04sec :D

Norfolk & Clew

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Just got back into doing 3km runs and over the past couple of weeks I've timing myself. I've seen huge results in such a short time.
13/2/11 = 14min 21sec
14/2/11 = 13min 53 sec
16/2/11 = 12min 57sec
17/2/11 = 13min 02sec
18/2/11 = 12min 46sec
Today 23/2/11 = 12min 04sec :D

Good work mate, keep it up! I got mine down to 10:47 in our first session back after xmas, would be interested to see what I'd get now!

May 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Barcelona
11:42

Feb 2008. Less than 3 months after an operation (which resulted in no exercise allowed for 6 weeks after) I managed to come around 7th/8th in a 3k time trial when playing at OTs.

I only played clubbies but I came back mid Jan for a run out and got mauled in the 10 x 150m sprints around the arc of the oval. 30 seconds between each start, so if you ran it in 20 seconds you'd have a 10 second breather. I was dead last and wrecked.

Put 6 hard weeks in and came back on a 35+ degree day (although by the time we did training at 6-7pm it would've been around 30) and dropped 11:42. Was stoked.

If I did that today I'd be lucky to get 14:00 but at least I know I've got a fairly respectable ceiling to work up to.

Jun 28, 2006
NSW
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
THFC, MVFC
I last b posted a time in 2008 and being 32 years old with a hernia, expected to conk right out.
I ran 12:12 for the 3km and really hurt due to the soreness associated with hernia pain. TOday, I am sitting on my couch with the keyholes, four bandages and a lot of pain killers in my system from my hernia operation!
Hopefully I'll give it 3-5 weeks and get back on the saddle in time for footy season.

Good luck to everyone and remember, running good 3km times DOES NOT make you a good footballer.

I'll be doing one in a couple of weeks time, will be interested to see how I go.

I'll be confident of running under 11 minutes, hopefully closer to breaking the 10-minute barrier.

This sort of has relevance to a 3km time trial. Since November, I have had to do three lots of three 1KM time trials with a small break in between. First night of pre-season, I did times of 2.56, 3.24 and 3.22 that night. Then in January I recorded times of 3.06, 3.08 and 3.11. Last week, I did times of 2.44, 3.11 and 3.14.

So my best effort is a total time of 9.09 when I combine my latest three 1km time trials with about a three-minute break in between (two minutes from when the last player crosses the finish line).

I'm in training for the school cross country carnival which is 3.5 k's with lots of steep hills. I ran it in 17 minutes last year but that was without training beforehand. I started training 3 weeks ago, haven't timed myself as of yet but i'm confident of getting under the 14 min mark. I'll run everyday next week and i'll post the times after i do them. I hope to run under 12 by the carnival which is just under 6 weeks away.

Bomber Bears

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2005
Wollongong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
North Sydney, Liverpool, NSW
I've run (from memory) 10:08 or so for 3Km on the track, which was probably 5 years ago now, when i was more of a runner. These days I run a fair bit but only tend to race much longer distances. It's be interesting to see what time i could do now with a bit of race fitness, still get a bit of speedwork from soccer training. Confident I could relatively comfortably break 10 minutes with a bit of work (and possibly first race) but not sure how low I could get.

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon
did a interval run on the treadmill at the gym l really dont like treadys that much,l normally do intervals on the bike.but it said that l would av 7 mins a K l know l am not that slow and l'm not that unfit.l do cardio min 3 days a week and group type and weights training other days.

I think you may find that time connected to the speed the Treadmill was set too rather than your actual running time.

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Was very much an endurance based runner a year ago, but going to gym on a regular basis now (legs, chest, shoulders, back) has I feel turned me more into a power athlete and thus I don't enjoy the long distance runs as much as I used to. I still enjoy them, but would much rather burst out into a nice sprint then jog, rather than push the limits for the whole 3.5k. Might have to get into this interval training stuff, getting bored with the constant 3.5k's I've been clocking up 5 days a week. Have never timed myself, but I would be around the 15mins mark I reckon.

footy24seven

Debutant
Aug 1, 2011
Gisborne
AFL Club
Collingwood
My 15 year old did his first timed trial last night for TAC (u/16) training. Suffered from stitches in the last 1200m but went on to finish and get 11.53. How to get rid of stitches? Heard breathing pattern is a cause. He does beep test of 13.12. Can't help but wonder what time he may have got without getting a stitch. One boy got 10.16. Terrific eh?

Norfolk & Clew

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
My 15 year old did his first timed trial last night for TAC (u/16) training. Suffered from stitches in the last 1200m but went on to finish and get 11.53. How to get rid of stitches? Heard breathing pattern is a cause. He does beep test of 13.12. Can't help but wonder what time he may have got without getting a stitch. One boy got 10.16. Terrific eh?

I have a horrible breathing pattern and generally only breathe through my mouth when running, you can hear me coming from a mile away. I don't get a stitch though.

Make sure he doesn't have a large consumption of either food or water in the hour before he runs, that generally causes stitching.

My best time was about this time last year, or maybe late December, got 10.58 which was awesome for me. Managed to grit the teeth and stride out the last 200m or so and beat the bloke I was running with by about 10 seconds.

Recovering from a broken leg this preseason so I am the man with the stop watch at the moment.

reidy5

Debutant
Jan 26, 2009
Far North Coast
AFL Club
Collingwood

What was your sons placing in the group?

FisherSaints

Draftee
Apr 11, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Today I ran 3km in 14:28 after getting 16:20 a week earlier. I was running sore with neck pain and stitches. BTW I'm U/13 is this a good time

morri

Team Captain
Nov 4, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Western Cape, Springboks, Proteas .
We did a run through forest at school when we were year 11 or so- I came last of the whole school, with 42min for about 5.5 km.

Hue_Jars

Cancelled
Nov 22, 2011
Only ya mum knows
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory,Heat,Wildcats,Warriors
I would struggle to do this under 15 minutes - but on the footy park where it matters I leave everyone for dead being able to run out games.

As for running anything over 5km non stop, literally I couldnt do it.

And if you think about it, when do you run for 3 km non stop in a game of footy? Its jog, sprint, walk, sprint with bouts of physical contact.

Training should be orientated around that - i.e interval training with physical pressure. You will find more and more clubs base the majority of their aerobic training around these forms as its mroe relevant.

The days of endurance based time trials are dying.

Back