Your 3km time trial??

Dare say the idea of the 3km is, being a middle distance, that it would somehow simulate the act of efforts and recovery, i.e., the efforts being harder than you'd run in a 3km TT and the recovery to even it out.
Wouldn't be used to simulate any particular scenario per say, just a test of mid level endurance.
Responding to the OP, ran 10.06 back in 2008, nowhere near that at the moment after a few years off triathlon with injury, but ramping it back up now. I'll take half of the 'steady' 6km run I did last night and say 14.30 at the moment as a conservative number.
I think I'd have to drop some kg to run that quick ever again though (5'9 was 66kg then).

Freakie

Cool cool cool
10k Posts Pantskyle Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2012 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Tom Rockliff 2011 Player Sponsor Brisbane Lions - Todd Banfield 2010 Player Sponsor
Oct 23, 2009
Fitzroy?
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The Roys FC
I just ran the puffing billy race route and return (26km) I can't feel my legs...

zetz

All Australian
Nov 7, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Bump.

How often should you 'train' for the 3km in order to improve times at a steady rate? Would 2 times a week be enough?

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Bump.

How often should you 'train' for the 3km in order to improve times at a steady rate? Would 2 times a week be enough?

Depends what your level of fitness is now. If it's shite, then 2 times a week would improve it significantly. If you're reasonably quick, then it would probably just maintain it.

Assuming you're training for amateur footy, then this time of year you should probably do 2 long sessions a week and 2 interval sessions if you're reasonably serious.

bffl

Cancelled
Dec 7, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone know some afl players results? going to run one today , usually get around 10 minutes sometimes sub.

I ran 2.1k in 7:52 the other day, just running around my block. I'm not sure how accurate the app is that I used. There's a couple of sets of narrows posts I had to run around that slowed me down, and running on that surface probably isn't ideal.

Based on that, I reckon I'd be close to running sub 10 mins for three k on a proper track.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I ran 2.1k in 7:52 the other day, just running around my block. I'm not sure how accurate the app is that I used. There's a couple of sets of narrows posts I had to run around that slowed me down, and running on that surface probably isn't ideal.

Based on that, I reckon I'd be close to running sub 10 mins for three k on a proper track.
2k in 6.50 for one of the boys at the local footy club.

two up

Cancelled
May 13, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
To

To do 3km in ten minutes you need to be going at 3:20 per km and you're going at just under 4 mins per km so still some work to do. I've tried desperately to get under that 10 minute mark but its seems my limit is 10:12. Good luck though its a great effort if you get there!

To
To do 3km in ten minutes you need to be going at 3:20 per km and you're going at just under 4 mins per km so still some work to do. I've tried desperately to get under that 10 minute mark but its seems my limit is 10:12. Good luck though its a great effort if you get there!
To be honest, I don't really trust the app I am using. It appears I am running closer to 2.3k than 2.1 to get 7:52. I'm a fairly strong runner based on how I perform in trials at footy training.

Again, I don't trust my coach's distance, but four years ago we had to run three 1km time trials with only two minutes recovery. My best time was 2:47 and my worst was 3:17. That seems a bit too quick for 1km, so I'm thinking the distance might have been closer to 900m. Regardless, I finished 1st, 1st and 2nd in those three runs out of about 30 teammates, so based on those facts, and based on me at least maintaining the same speed/fitness from four years ago, I highly doubt I only ran 2.1k when achieving 7:52 mins. I felt like that was the quickest I have ever run so I was very disappointed when my app showed I had only run 2.1k.

Does anyone recommend a running app that is accurate?

two up

Cancelled
May 13, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
To be honest, I don't really trust the app I am using. It appears I am running closer to 2.3k than 2.1 to get 7:52. I'm a fairly strong runner based on how I perform in trials at footy training.

Again, I don't trust my coach's distance, but four years ago we had to run three 1km time trials with only two minutes recovery. My best time was 2:47 and my worst was 3:17. That seems a bit too quick for 1km, so I'm thinking the distance might have been closer to 900m. Regardless, I finished 1st, 1st and 2nd in those three runs out of about 30 teammates, so based on those facts, and based on me at least maintaining the same speed/fitness from four years ago, I highly doubt I only ran 2.1k when achieving 7:52 mins. I felt like that was the quickest I have ever run so I was very disappointed when my app showed I had only run 2.1k.

I use an app called Runtastic which is great but I've also heard Strava is very good

King Patty

Team Captain
Jun 6, 2007
Tassie
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Junkyard Dogs
I use an app called Runtastic which is great but I've also heard Strava is very good

Strava is awesome, but if you are serious buy a garmin watch 220 or 620
and if bike as well then get the triathlon watch 920.

I have a garmin 910xt
3km time trial yesterday did 11.25 after doing mile 5.45 and 400m 73 seconds beforehand.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Google maps distance measuring is very accurate. I've marked it out around actual running tracks and it always lands between 395 and 405m.

The oval near my house is 380m in circumference. Just did a two lap time trial this afternoon in 2m 45s which I'm pretty happy about. Temperature pushing into the mid 30's made the final 200m very tough. My aim this pre season was to do an 800m on a proper track in 2m 40s so should be able to do that as I get fitter. Got to get a further 40m in 5 less seconds. Very doable. Hopefully can push it down towards 2m 30s and if I can convince a couple of guys from the club to come one day then we should push each other too.

Not too worried about 3k time trials but might do a 2km one later in the pre season depending how I feel. It's interesting that the AFL clubs don't really do anything above 2km anymore. The days of big long runs and time trials have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur's. It's really all about speed and repeat efforts now. I guess if your running to make a contest you're better off being first to the ball half the time and last the other half, then being second to the ball all day long. Obviously if you can be first to the ball all day long then even better.

Aerobically I feel good, but the legs, groin and hip flexors just don't want to move as quick as they did 12 years ago when I was in high school. Sadly I don't think my Year 12 800m PB of 2m~10s will be getting bettered.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Really been pumping out the laps in the last month. Haven't done a time trial but was gonna do a 2 lapper (~760m) later this week and reckon I could've got 2m35s or very close to.

Feeling real good at the moment, down to about 83kg's (182cm).

Go to the oval today, 3 x ~250m go well, then go to hit up 4 x ~100m and I'm on my first sprint and my right calf just goes on me. FFS!!!

I don't think it's torn, and hopefully just a strain. Depending on how I pull up I'll head to a physio tomorrow... But from the initial feeling in the last hour or so I don't think I'll be on the track for a couple of weeks at least. So frustrating.

I'm just hoping like * it's was a cramp, but it didn't feel like cramp at all.

Back