Your 3km time trial??

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I would assume alot of people would have a kick at some level or have done in the past and for the most part 90% of clubs do time trials for 3km, sooooo the question is what was your best time and what is your current time. Should be interesting to compare everyone :thumbsu:

*Best time 11.45 under 18s 2002
*Most recent time 12.47

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Right now? Probably take me several days to cover that distance, assuming i didn't land in hospital first.
I haven't so much as jogged since football season finished for me early August.

I accept your challenge (even though you haven't set one...) and I'll go for a run over the next week. See if I can do it in under 30 mins :D

Apr 17, 2006
Brunsy
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
Just got back to Australia from the coldness of Europe, so coping with the heat is a little draining on my performance. Most recently I did a 11:52 in -2 temperature. I could only manage 13:11 here this morning. A little disconcerting, but a week or so, should be alright. Only thing I'm concerned about is agility, as haven't played footy for 3 years (injured knee), and looking to get back into some B grade stuff before hitting the A's and some amateur hopefully next season.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Right now? Probably take me several days to cover that distance, assuming i didn't land in hospital first.
I haven't so much as jogged since football season finished for me early August.

I accept your challenge (even though you haven't set one...) and I'll go for a run over the next week. See if I can do it in under 30 mins :D

I wish you all the best mate, dont be to upset with your first performance, you improve rapidly. Looking forward to seeing your progress :)

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just got back to Australia from the coldness of Europe, so coping with the heat is a little draining on my performance. Most recently I did a 11:52 in -2 temperature. I could only manage 13:11 here this morning. A little disconcerting, but a week or so, should be alright. Only thing I'm concerned about is agility, as haven't played footy for 3 years (injured knee), and looking to get back into some B grade stuff before hitting the A's and some amateur hopefully next season.

11.52 is going good guns, nice time mate, the 13.11 shouldnt be to concerning I would give you a couple of weeks to adjust to to the weather and you should be back to low 12s and then 11s.

I really doubt I will ever get back to under 12s again, if I did it would be a mighty happy day for me. Mid 12s is my best/realisitic goal I think.

Apr 17, 2006
Brunsy
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
Yeah, I've always been a runner - midfielder type, so not really such an achievement, as it is what I have trained for my whole life. Like I said earlier, my issue really is just my turning, at the moment I am like a truck, I wouldn't be able to turn around on the Princes Highway, so if I have to cut training for stamina in a bid to increase my agility, it is something I will do, as it may push me out of the midfield into a defensive role, something that I just can't handle doing. It's supposed to be 36 deg here tomorrow, and am going to go for a run in the morning, will post my time.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, I've always been a runner - midfielder type, so not really such an achievement, as it is what I have trained for my whole life. Like I said earlier, my issue really is just my turning, at the moment I am like a truck, I wouldn't be able to turn around on the Princes Highway, so if I have to cut training for stamina in a bid to increase my agility, it is something I will do, as it may push me out of the midfield into a defensive role, something that I just can't handle doing. It's supposed to be 36 deg here tomorrow, and am going to go for a run in the morning, will post my time.

Yeah I am gonna have a crack either today or tommoro as well, I will post my time later.

Good luck with it today :thumbsu:

Apr 17, 2006
Brunsy
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
12:58. 15 odd seconds better than yesterday. I won't put it down to anything other than a flatter track. I normally run around my local area which has a reasonable sized hill. This morning ran finishing at the shop, cutting the upwards slope of the hill, so potentially went a little bit slower. Will keep updated as I improve.

setlikejelly

Team Captain
Jan 24, 2007
South Hedland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tas Tigers,Triple C Crabs
Back in my day (under 18's in 2001) ran approx 10 flat, maybe just under (was also boundary umpiring at the time), nowadays prob just under 12 mins, but will be hopefully back around 10 in a couple of months, with training for the Melb half marathon.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Another good fittnes thing is doing the beep test... When i had a good pre season i did 12.4, which i was happy with...

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
the 3km tt has virtually no relevance to a game of footy. someone please tell me the number of matches they got onto the field and then continuously ran at sub 12min for 3km. footy is a game of repetitive efforts, not running at a single pace. the beep test is another irrelevant performance indicator in footy, imo.

mind you,in saying all of that, sub 12 min for a 3km tt is pretty good. just doesnt mean much about how a player will handle the conditioning demands of a game of footy.

iDon

Find me on the Golf Board
Jan 30, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
the 3km tt has virtually no relevance to a game of footy. someone please tell me the number of matches they got onto the field and then continuously ran at sub 12min for 3km. footy is a game of repetitive efforts, not running at a single pace. the beep test is another irrelevant performance indicator in footy, imo.

mind you,in saying all of that, sub 12 min for a 3km tt is pretty good. just doesnt mean much about how a player will handle the conditioning demands of a game of footy.

If it has no relevance to footy why to every single footy club run 3 or 3.2km time trials in their pre-season?

afl genius

Club Legend
May 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Indiana Pacers

Disagree especially with the beep test thought, It is relevant because in the beep test you slowly get faster the more you run, which or though you don't necessary run faster, in a footy match as you tire, you certainly can build up endurance so you can run harder and faster for longer periods of time. Also the stop and sprint also can happen alot during a game

Sep 30, 2003
Boston Marathon finish
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Ulan Bator Red Yaks
This may be considered cheating due to subtle differences in treadmill & road running (ie being dragged along wind free on a machine vs the road), but why not have a crack at a time trial on the treadmill at a gym, then compare your time to a TT in ideal conditions.

Set the incline to about 0.5 to 1.0, set the speed to about 15.1 or so and away you go. That'll get you just under 12 minutes at a guess. Set the speed to about 16.5-16.8, and you'll crack 11. Easier said than done I know, but it's merely a suggestion.

Want to improve without doing too much running (no more than 4 days a week)
1. Two runs of double or more the 3K you plan to attack - try going for at least 1/2 hour...these shouldn't be fast, just working to improve your aerobic capacity.
2. 3 mins solid (hard, not flat chat), 1 minute easy jog recover. Do 5 of these - you should be stuffed but not knackered. Easy warm up and cool down before/after.
3. Hard running with 1.5 times-double the interval to recover - If you run for 60 seconds flat chat, rest for 90-120. Do 6 of these, but don't run for more than about 80 seconds for an interval. You should be knackered after each interval. If you can do this uphill, even better. Easy warm up and cool down afterwards.

If you only want to run 3 days a week, take out one of the long runs.

This might help, see how you go...

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
If it has no relevance to footy why to every single footy club run 3 or 3.2km time trials in their pre-season?

it's usually one of the 1st things clubs run in the off season (it aint the pre season yet!) to gauge which stage players are at in terms of their aerobic endurance. but clubs dont work at improving the team's 3km tt. you'll find clubs work on shorter (dependent on posititon) high-intensity running with short rest breaks to improve a players anaerobic conditioning. and as such, replicating in game situations.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This may be considered cheating due to subtle differences in treadmill & road running (ie being dragged along wind free on a machine vs the road), but why not have a crack at a time trial on the treadmill at a gym, then compare your time to a TT in ideal conditions.

Set the incline to about 0.5 to 1.0, set the speed to about 15.1 or so and away you go. That'll get you just under 12 minutes at a guess. Set the speed to about 16.5-16.8, and you'll crack 11. Easier said than done I know, but it's merely a suggestion.

Want to improve without doing too much running (no more than 4 days a week)
1. Two runs of double or more the 3K you plan to attack - try going for at least 1/2 hour...these shouldn't be fast, just working to improve your aerobic capacity.
2. 3 mins solid (hard, not flat chat), 1 minute easy jog recover. Do 5 of these - you should be stuffed but not knackered. Easy warm up and cool down before/after.
3. Hard running with 1.5 times-double the interval to recover - If you run for 60 seconds flat chat, rest for 90-120. Do 6 of these, but don't run for more than about 80 seconds for an interval. You should be knackered after each interval. If you can do this uphill, even better. Easy warm up and cool down afterwards.

If you only want to run 3 days a week, take out one of the long runs.

This might help, see how you go...

Treadmill I find harder because of the heat you generate whilst running, gyms also being stuffy you dont get as much fresh air into thelungs as you would running outside.

I rset the tready at about 13.8 and I will do 3k in about 12.30-12.45, I always take 20 secons off to get the thing started at thepace I want.

But yeah a treadmill will probably give you as good a indication as to the time you will run for 3k.

As I work at a gym I will jump on the tready after I finish here and see what I do the 3k in, should be around the 12.30 mark.

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Another good fittnes thing is doing the beep test... When i had a good pre season i did 12.4, which i was happy with...

Before school finished (I'm in yr 8) we had the beep test to see how well we progressed from the start of the year and I improved which was good...At the start of the year I got 9.6 and in the last term I got 10.7....I was pretty happy with that, and I'm hoping to do alot better next year, with the help of getting a bit fitter using the treadmill I got for Christmas and a little bit more of added height....!

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Did a 3k on the tready at the gym yesterday, 12.56 was my time, I was sweating up a storm, so much easier outside I feel.

Nov 12, 2006
Subiaco, Perth WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco FC
doing my first 3km trial tomorrow, i doubt i will break 20 minutes.

Always had shocking technique that resulted in crap breathing, flappy feet and shin splints but I have been working quite hard the last 2 weeks and I feel I am improving.

Put me on a bike and my 140kg squatting legs and decent lactic acid threshold will be much more evident but put me in running shoes and I will be like Ash Sampi on the first day of pre season training.

My goal for the year is beating Scott Selwoods 10:49 time from the draft camp, following a proper running routine and only running on soft surfaces (pavement really sets off the shin splints) so hopefully I will get close to it by the end of the year or at least be a lot fitter for the process.

geelong16

Team Captain
Jul 19, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
im in year now and right now i do 3k in 11:45, my best is about 5 seconds under that. this was with doing about 2 runs a week, now to get fit for footy season im doing 5 times a week so hopefully il be able to up this time a bit

Norfolk & Clew

Premiership Player
Dec 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton, Richmond Central
I remember getting 13 something when i was 14 and that is probably the only time i have done one. Dont do them at my footy club very often. My old man worked at the site of the NSW/ACT RAMS home ground so i did it with them, beat home a few of the U/18 boys so was pretty happy. Would probably about the same now i'd say

Back