huddler

Senior List
Feb 5, 2011
Melbourne via Ireland
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Celtic, Northcote Park
The 2010’s have been pretty tough for Blues fans. However, as we get ready for a new, better, decade ahead, the final month of 2019 is perhaps a good time to cast our minds back to some of the brighter days from the last 10 seasons.

So, baggers, list me your 5 favourite games of the decade just gone...so that I may take to Youtube for the purposes of reflection, nostalgia, and - most of all - to bridge this barren chasm until the first siren of 2020 heralds the next chapter.

List them 1-5. Go!

1. Richmond, Elimination Final 2013
Goes without saying. Final quarter is quite simply why I watch this game. Robbo's 'point' then putting us in front. 'This will be fitting'. The play on advantage. Ivan's celebration. Hendo's mark. Garlett's sealer. Goosebumps thinking about it.

2. Port Adelaide, R23 2013
No matter how much I watch the replay of this, I will never be convinced we go on to win it from late in the third. Fell in love with Bell that day.

3. Geelong, R10 2016
Gibbs, Gibbs & Gibbs. After years of near upsets against the Cats, Gibbs elevated himself to a level not seen before, and to finally get that upset on a Friday night was huge for the belief in our rebuild.

4. Fremantle, R14 2019
No Cripps. No Charlie. No worries. The Teague train put out final calls after this game. Huge in the context of a tough period for players and supporters, and the game I felt started our new chapter. Murph you legend.

5. West Coast, R6 2014
Thomas. Murph. Meeeeenzeeelllll.

Last edited:
1. ********
Goes without saying. Final quarter is quite simply why I watch this game. Robbo's 'point' then putting us in front. 'This will be fitting'. The play on advantage. Ivan's celebration. Hendo's mark. Garlett's sealer. Goosebumps thinking about it.

No matter how much I watch the replay of this, I will never be convinced we go on to win it from late in the third. Fell in love with Bell that day.

3. Geelong, R10 2016
Gibbs, Gibbs & Gibbs. After years of near upsets against the Cats, Gibbs elevated himself to a level not seen before, and to finally get that upset on a Friday night was huge for the belief in our rebuild.

4. Fremantle, R14 2019
No Cripps. No Charlie. No worries. The Teague train put out final calls after this game. Huge in the context of a tough period for players and supporters, and the game I felt started our new chapter. Murph you legend.

5. West Coast, R6 2014
2011 elimination final against the cheats is right up there as well...

3. Geelong, R10 2016

4. Fremantle, R14 2019

5. West Coast, R6 2014
Good calls

3. Geelong, R10 2016

4. Fremantle, R14 2019

5. West Coast, R6 2014

Brilliant list! I’ll add Crippa’s domination against Brisbane this year and knocking off the Pies in their anniversary game in 2017 capped with Daisy sealing the game.

The Crows game this year was also extremely satisfying due to the fallout from the Stocker trade.

1- 2013 elimination final vs Richmond
2- 2011 elimination final vs Essendon

Speak for themselves

3-5 could be any of

Round 11 2011 vs Sydney. 30 point turn around in the third quarter in what I believe was pissing down rain. Judd absolutely dominated that game one of his best individual performances for the club. Night of the royal wedding ...

Round 3 2012 vs Collingwood. We walloped them that night by 10 goals. Amigos out in force. Murph played a blinder. Flag favourites. Who would’ve thought we’d miss the finals at that point!

Round 23 2013 vs Port. As has been mentioned. To come back and win by a point and finish 9th to jump the bombers. Insane.

Round 10 2016 vs Geelong. Probably one of our better underdog wins of the decade

Round 22 2017 vs Hawks. Horrible back half of the year. Nothing awfully special about this game except the relief. Mitchell had 44 of the worst touches you’ll see and Doc put on his most recent masterclass :(

Round 8 2018 vs Essendon. Pissing down rain against the scum. Another win that was more relief than pretty. IIRC JSOS had a really good game.

Round 5 2019 vs WB. SPS 37. Cripps dominant. Walsh capping off the match with a goal in the final few seconds to score our first ‘100’ in years. Somewhat symbolic.

Round 15 2019 vs Freo. Brackets summarised it well. A reminder of how good Murph is and how good our kids will be.

Been quite a lean decade otherwise but still some awesome moments despite our lack of success. I’ve probably forgotten one or two.

Oh man, some beauties in there. That day against Collingwood where we went in 1 vs 2 on the ladder was brilliant. Had a real big game vibe about it. Nothing like seeing your team really turn up in a big one.

2018 vs * in the wet is another favourite. Is my memory deceiving me, or was is JSOS and SPS’ first wins?

Rd 5 2010 vs Geelong at the G was a great memory for me. I’d just relocated permanently to Australia, and I remember sitting watching us outplay the reigning Premiers on a perfect afternoon and thinking ‘i’m going to like it here’. 😊

Forgot my own rule!

So, i’ll go:

1. Nick Duiges downs the Tiges
2. Ruining Collingwood’s birthday party.
3. Setanta and his little helpers welcome me to Australia vs Geelong.
4. Bolton gets a W vs * in the wet in 2018.
5. Levi stands in the tackle, gets the handball out in front of Fisher, who taps it to Murphy. Murphy baulks, goes the banana, Blues have won it!! (Freo, of course) 😉

Wow, didn’t think we had played 5 games worth watching ... seems we did. Nice.

Please don’t start a 5 worst games list, can’t afford the therapy

The Adelaide and St Kilda games this year were both incredibly important imo, in terms of what the results would represent about the "future" Carlton. They were simply must-win, and win we did, in somewhat controlled fashion.

Hard to beat the 2011 Elim Final as my favourite of the decade though. Warnock activating ruck beastmode, as was his want in finals (has there ever been a more contradictory trait in a player?).

Went to that Port v Carlton game in 2013.......totally bonkers.

* had already been booted, and North won the day before, so, if we lost, they were in, pretty sure we were the last game of the manufactured round 23.

Anyhoo, was the last game ever at that horror called FootyPark, and turned up without a ticket.

During the week they said there were walk up tickets, so me and old mate turned up and tried our luck.

So we get to the small scoreboard end ticket stall and the person there says ‘No go, try your luck around the Members End’.

So around we go, find out we are in the Members line, thinking we had no hope.

Anyhow, SANFL didn’t care who was trying to get in......sure enough, 2 tickets, into the Members at $30 a pop.

Game was total Looney Tunes, reckon we were down by near on 6 goals in the 3rd, and then it happened...

Gibbs, Murphy,Walker went totally 🍌 and we got the lead with around 2 left.

Port went machine gun at the sticks, and every time, missed by a lip.

After the longest 2 minutes of forever we got home.

That was enough for me, got in the first cab and went to the LOP.

A day to savour.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This always sticks in my mind as one of my favourite games in the past decade (and all time)

That last quarter by Juddy was simply extraordinarily, imo the best he ever played for the club..

It was a bog ugly game for 3 quarters, but Juddy's explosyive final stanza and the fact we hadn't beaten the Swannets up at The SCG in many, many yeats means this game will always be deep in my affections.

2011 was the most enjoyable season since 1999 for my money. So many great games and performances that year.

1- 2013 elimination final vs Richmond
2- 2011 elimination final vs Essendon

Speak for themselves

3-5 could be any of

Round 11 2011 vs Sydney. 30 point turn around in the third quarter in what I believe was pissing down rain. Judd absolutely dominated that game one of his best individual performances for the club. Night of the royal wedding ...

Round 3 2012 vs Collingwood. We walloped them that night by 10 goals. Amigos out in force. Murph played a blinder. Flag favourites. Who would’ve thought we’d miss the finals at that point!

Round 23 2013 vs Port. As has been mentioned. To come back and win by a point and finish 9th to jump the bombers. Insane.

Round 10 2016 vs Geelong. Probably one of our better underdog wins of the decade

Round 22 2017 vs Hawks. Horrible back half of the year. Nothing awfully special about this game except the relief. Mitchell had 44 of the worst touches you’ll see and Doc put on his most recent masterclass :(

Round 8 2018 vs Essendon. Pissing down rain against the scum. Another win that was more relief than pretty. IIRC JSOS had a really good game.

Round 5 2019 vs WB. SPS 37. Cripps dominant. Walsh capping off the match with a goal in the final few seconds to score our first ‘100’ in years. Somewhat symbolic.

Round 15 2019 vs Freo. Brackets summarised it well. A reminder of how good Murph is and how good our kids will be.

Been quite a lean decade otherwise but still some awesome moments despite our lack of success. I’ve probably forgotten one or two.

Great list.
2 to add.

Samo/Kreuzer joint best on against Collingwood at the G in 2017.

Monday night against the Saints in 2010. The Amigos went bezerk. Won by 10 goals.

Monday night against the Saints in 2010. The Amigos went bezerk. Won by 10 goals.

First time we had beaten the Saints for aaaaages IIRC. Beat them again the following year with a Walker goal late in the 4th!

Another two huge wins were against Port:

One in 2015 (I think) at the G. Crippa's 360 spin handball over his head to set up the Bell goal. Doc with some match-saving intercept marks.
Another in Simmo's 250th with Kreuzer going beast mode.

EF against Richmond was the best game I went to all decade. Down early in the game, Tiges fans super arrogant giving plenty of lip to the outnumbered blues. Vickery with the yips and all of a sudden the tide turns our way. The tiges fans were so defeated that day.

The 2013 round 23 game against Port was the best game on TV. We had no right to win that game and without it, we wouldn't have the EF memories.

Staying on the port theme - Round 8 2016. Kade Simpson's 250th. Casboult out early and trailing by almost 3 goals with 10 minutes to go. Kruezer - become a hero, BECOME A HERO! Simmo finishes the game on the ball, Gibbs jumps over with a big hug - probably the most emotional win ofthe decade for mine.

Round 12 2017 come in as no hope against GWS and pip them by a point. Tractor's 150th and he dominated again.

Hard to pick a 5th - Round 3 2017 against Essendon with a young team in the wet, the Freo or Dogs wins in 2019, "Mcleans mark, but he can't kick the journey, hammers it, over the back Casboult, its cleared the pack, ITS A GOAL, BOY OY BOY, ITS GONNA HAPPEN TO RICHMOND AGAIN!", or Eddie Maguire's "MENZZEEEEELLLLLLL" back in 2014 against West Coast.

3. Geelong, R10 2016

4. Fremantle, R14 2019

5. West Coast, R6 2014
Just watched your #4 this afternoon. Guts win and cost Fremantle a finals spot in the end.

The 2010’s have been pretty tough for Blues fans. However, as we get ready for a new, better, decade ahead, the final month of 2019 is perhaps a good time to cast our minds back to some of the brighter days from the last 10 seasons.

So, baggers, list me your 5 favourite games of the decade just gone...so that I may take to Youtube for the purposes of reflection, nostalgia, and - most of all - to bridge this barren chasm until the first siren of 2020 heralds the next chapter.

List them 1-5. Go!

I haven't read anyone else's, will be keen to see how it compares:

1. Win - EF v Richmond 2013. Nick ******* Duigan. The Amigos Last Stand. Just effing beautiful to be at the ground. Not a betting man, but my Richmond mate put down a slab on them winning before the game - and I took him up at half time. Just knew we'd win it. Juddy was immense.

2. Loss - Semi Final v West Coast 2011. Gallant defeat, we should have won this. FFS. Lost, but a brilliant and passionate performance. Was good to be at PP watching with the faithful.

3. Win - EF v Essendon 2011. Called 12 goals before the game, revised to 10 as I strolled confidently into the ground. Not a betting man but in this instance I wish I was. Loved singing the song from early in the 3rd quarter. Eff the scum.

4. Win against Saints where Walker kicked the sealer - 2010 I believe. First time we beat them in ages. Nailbiter, one of the great games at Etihad.

5. Win against Brisbane, 2019 - might be recency bias, or as I prefer "resurgency bias" , but this was a brilliant response to an emotional period of time for the club

Easy first choice being the Elimination Final against the Tiges.

What about Simmo's 250th or 300th against Port Adelaide at Etihad. We came from behind to get him the win and the emotion at the game was palpable! Weren't winning many around then either. Don't remember what year or round... anyone remember?

Pretty sure the season where we finished 5th and lost to WCE away would have had a few fantastic games too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back