Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
I tend to stay away from this place during the off-season unless we do something big, but ‘tis the season for speculation and naive optimism as the match sims heat up.

Time to put up or shut up so we can look back with 20/20 hindsight in seven months time.

SURPRISE - A big year for either McCartin or Reid coming up. Very different stages of their careers but one of them will kick 30-40 goals and won’t look back.

TEAM - We’ll finish higher than last year. It’ll be a coming of age year for the team.

VETERAN - Franklin will play less than 15 games but still kick 50+ goals.

BROWNLOW - Mills will be our highest vote winner.

THE UGLY - I expect Heaney to remain brilliant yet frustrating with his inconsistency. I don’t think he’ll reach his full potential until 2020/21.

SURPRISE - Blakey plays 15 games as a midfielder averaging 20 disposals.

TEAM - Our record of never missing finals under Longmire continues.

VETERAN - McVeigh has another serviceable year and signs another one year deal into 2020.

BROWNLOW - Parker will be our highest poller

THE UGLY - Inconsistency throughout the season will continue.

SURPRISE - Durak Tucker makes late-season charge to come from nowhere and find his way into the back six.

TEAM - Another inconsistent year coming up. We will beat contenders, lose to cellar-dwellers, soar as high as the top four, but ultimately miss out on the finals.

VETERAN - We will inexplicably offer a contract extension to Kieren Jack, while Nick Smith will prove his nay-sayers on here wrong.

BROWNLOW - Parker our best chance.

THE UGLY - Another season where we don't show any physical evidence that we're changing the way we play.

SURPRISE - SCG becoming a fortress again, contributing to a Top 4 finish

TEAM - Under 25s drive the improvement up the ladder

VETERAN - All including the four retirees (KJ, Reg, Macca and Smithy) make critical contributions to team success

BROWNLOW - 17 Bloods receive at least 1 vote, with 5 polling at least 10 votes

THE UGLY - McGuire and Kennet, deflecting from their Clubs poor seasons, attack Sydney's success and demand further measures to benefit Melbourne based Clubs at the expense of all others.

SURPRISE - Lloyd will win back to back Skiltons.
TEAM - We will pick too many talls (Geelong influence) and will make finals but lose first game.
VETERANS - None of our 4 vets will play in the last couple of rounds or final (barring injury).
BROWNLOW - Heeney will be our highest vote getter.
THE UGLY - Steve Johnson will continue to coach the forwards (the elephant in the 2018 room).

SURPRISE - Will Hayward 35-40 goals

TEAM - we will miss the eight for the first time since 2009

VETERANS - JPK is back to his best, proves last year was just a down year

BROWNLOW - Parker/Kennedy/Franklin top 3

UGLY - Horse gets sacked before seasons end.

SKILTON - Parker

Surprise longmires last year
Team will miss the 8
Veterans McVeigh will play in 2020, jack will be pensioned off
Brownlow. Franklin will be top 3
Ugly gameplan

If Buddy finishes in the top three in the Brownlow then we make the grand final, no matter how bad it is up the ground.

SURPRISE - Sydney have NO season ending injuries in 2019

TEAM - Sydney are 2019 premiers

VETERAN - Buddy wins another Coleman

BROWNLOW - Heeney wins the Brownlow.

THE UGLY - Commentators continue to fuel the Sydney 'dour' game plan.

SURPRISE - I will swap from sweet chilli to Tyrrells Crisps, Mature Cheddar and Chive. I promise to still drink beer and cider though. And Canadian Club. And other stuff. Baby steps.

TEAM - We have one, which is good. Better than those Tassie losers lol

VETERAN - Yes I identify with that

BROWNLOW - A midfielder will win it. Oh you mean from our team? Ima go with nope but if Craig Bird was a chance then Tom McCartin is a lock.

THE UGLY - Every ******* day in the mirror man. Every day. Why did you bring that up?

SURPRISE - Sydney have NO season ending injuries in 2019

TEAM - Sydney are 2019 premiers

VETERAN - Buddy wins another Coleman

BROWNLOW - Heeney wins the Brownlow.

THE UGLY - Commentators continue to fuel the Sydney 'dour' game plan.
Pretty much my thoughts too Kirky, I'm glad I'm not the only one that approaches the season full of hope and expectation!

And I don't give a rats a##e if those hopes and expectations are blown away by round 12, I can't imagine not feeling excitement for the season ahead before it starts.

SURPRISE - Sydney make the finals yet again.

TEAM - Some of the speedy youngsters pushing hard by year's end; more options...

VETERAN - Reid kicks 30+ goals, Hewett gets into BOSS mode

BROWNLOW - Parker will go close

THE UGLY - Horse's coaching. Again. Cameron and Menzel unhappy in the NEAFL.

Last edited:
SURPRISE - Justin McInerney, please stand up.

TEAM - We will scrape into the top 8, as we seem to do right on the vinegar stroke with redeeming wins.

VETERANS - Grundy rock solid, goes out head held high. Buddy goes one better. JPK still a bull.

BROWNLOW - Lloyd up there for the Swans.

UGLY - Roving Brian goes next level.

SKILTON - Lloyd with Heeney on his tail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought I would suggest another category. Somewhere (maybe in the best 22 thread) Caesar rated the prospects of each of our kids who have yet to play a game. It was a terrific bit of work.

Thanks to the brilliant Beatson, the Club just about every year introduces a new diamond in the rough player who seemingly comes like a bolt out of the blue and ends up being Best 22. I am not thinking of highly rated recruits like Mills and Heeney (and hopefully Blakey) but more kids like Ronke, McCartin, Hewett, Papley etc.

Beyond Blakey, we have a heap of kids on the main and rookie list who have yet to make their debut, including those recruited in earlier drafts.

BOLTER IN BEST 22

Up to DeadlyA - thread initiator to include or not.

SURPRISE - Aliir to have a huge year, Hayward to kick 30+ goals

TEAM - Will make finals, win at least one final

VETERAN - Grundy and Jack to finish up. Jack will struggle to get selected.

BROWNLOW - Mills or Parker. Aliir to be first defender to win Skilton since Schauble.

THE UGLY - Forward entries improving but still not smooth

SURPRISE - Reid stay fit for the entire year and provide the marking option the Swans were severely lacking.

TEAM - Top 4 on the back of midfield rejuvenation. Led by Mills and Heeney.

VETERAN - McVeigh to struggle in the early stages of the year and out of the 22 by midseason.

BROWNLOW - Heeney due to increased time in on the ball.

THE UGLY - Coaching staff.

SURPRISE - Durak Tucker makes late-season charge to come from nowhere and find his way into the back six.

TEAM - Another inconsistent year coming up. We will beat contenders, lose to cellar-dwellers, soar as high as the top four, but ultimately miss out on the finals.

VETERAN - We will inexplicably offer a contract extension to Kieren Jack, while Nick Smith will prove his nay-sayers on here wrong.

BROWNLOW - Parker our best chance.

THE UGLY - Another season where we don't show any physical evidence that we're changing the way we play.
Durack Tucker love is the purest and best love. I'd love for this one to be right!

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pretty much my thoughts too Kirky, I'm glad I'm not the only one that approaches the season full of hope and expectation!

And I don't give a rats a##e if those hopes and expectations are blown away by round 12, I can't imagine not feeling excitement for the season ahead before it starts.
Exactly!!! Give it your best shot and if that doesn't work, try again next year!

Really counting down now!!! :D

PS These new smilies suck!

I agree! Even if all of the 22 players I have in my best 22 weren't selected for round one, I would be just as excited still, because it's always awesome to see the 22 blokes running out in our jumper to represent the club for the first time in six months.

In any case I think it's going to be an exciting season anyway. Expectations on this board are tempered, so I don't think anyone will be shocked or blown away if we have some ordinary results here and there. But what will be exciting is seeing the changes in personnel and, hopefully, game style, so that we can finally get a preview into what our future will look like. Round one can't come soon enough IMO!

SURPRISE - Durack Tucker to cement himself into the back 6

TEAM - Slow start but strong finish to the season. Probably still around the 5-8 marker.

VETERAN - Jack to be edged out of the team early in the season. McVeigh to spend most of the season on the sidelines with Grundy to start off well but come season end look uncertain

BROWNLOW - Parker 2nd or 3rd for the Brownlow (again)

THE UGLY - Swans Bigfooty Board and Jones to snap one match receiving a massive 5-7 game suspension

THE UGLY - Swans Bigfooty Board

Maurice Blackburn Lawyers have just agreed to a pro bono class action for the Board against BloodySwan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back