Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
Just thought it would be handy to have a thread where people can write a sentence or two on every player from their club, what you think they'll average, etc. Can ask club specific questions in here as well I guess.

I'll do the dogs.

1. Jarrad Grant. Not relevant in supercoach. Even if he plays well like his end to 2013, can only see him averaging low 70's.

2. Robert Murphy. You know what you're getting with Bob. With Swallow, McViegh and co not defenders this year, he should be a good shout for a top 10 defenders spot. Can't see the captaincy effecting him too much as he's always been in the media and a leader. I can see him averaging 85-90, but whether you want to select a 32 year old is another thing.

3. Mitch Wallis. Will play every game he's fit. With the new coach coming in he should be released from tagging duties. But can't see him doing enough to be in your team. Average 80-85.

4. Marcus Bontempelli. If I was to select one Dog in my team this year, it would be the Bontz. Marks, kicks goals, contested player, stands up in big moments... and is only 18 years old! As Griffen and Cooney go out of the team, three or so players are going to need to fill the void, Bontempelli is one of them for me. He played up forward a lot last year, and still posted scores of 91, 91, 139, 111, 97, 85, 139 and 105. From round 13 last year (once he became a regular in the team) to the end of season he averaged 93. Ofcouse, there's safer options given the depth in supercoach forwards this year, but I see him as a person who should be very high on your watch list. Average 88-95.

5. Matthew Boyd. Nothing really needs to be said here, you know what you're getting. Will be important this year as the only really experienced mid, but don't know if that makes him supercoach relevant. Average 95-100

6. Luke Dahlhaus. IMO for that price I'd steer clear. If he's playing in the midfield full time he'd be a good pick, but a lot of us supporters want him to play 70/30 up forward as we lack forward pressure, which he is elite as. Better forward options. Average 85.

7. Lachie Hunter. Watch his NAB cup. Has been very good in preseason, winning our time trial. With the new attacking gamestyle out coach has been sprouting, it seems like the system that we would thrive under. The only think that puts me off selecting him is the sub rule. He is literally the perfect person to use as sub, which makes him awkward to select. Average 75-80.

8. Stewie Crameri. Not much I can say, you know what you're going to get. An average of about 80. Steer clear, especially with the ASADA cloud still hanging over him.

9. Jake Stringer. I personally wouldn't pick him, but can see the intrigue in him. A 193cm bulking midfielder/forward. When he eventually has the tank and moves into the midfield he will be an absolute gem, as he has the most potential of anyone on out list. But that won't be for a while, more of a forward at this stage. Ended the year well, though. And should be good for 40+ goals. Average 80-85.

10. Easton Wood. Lock down defender, can't see him being relevant. Some want him moved to a wing, but I prefer him as a defender. Average low 70's.

11. Jack Macrae. Love the kid, but he's the one I see suffering the most from Griffen leaving. Blitzed it last year, not many second year players average 27 touches and 100 supecoach points, but he'd by my #1 target for the tag now. He could come out and go another level up, but given he'll get a lot more attention I see him taking a small step backwards, especially with consistency. Average 90-95.

12. Zaine Cordy. Defender rookie, should play two or three games, downgrade target if so, won't score very well. Average 40-55

13. Nathan Hrovat. Really like this kid, I think he should really cement himself in the team this year. One of the most frustrating things that McCartney did has coach was play him as a forward. Scored three tons playing that role last year, but that should improve as he becomes a midfielder. If I wasn't see keen on Bontempelli, I'd get Hrovat. Can't have both. Average 90.

14. Clay Smith. Injured. Maybe get him when he returns. Average 75-80

15. Tom Campbell. Not really relevant with Minson still at the club. Should play 6 or 7 games. One for when Minson retired. Average 60's.

16. Toby McLean. Just like any other rookie, pick him if he gets games. Average 55-60.

17. Tom Boyd. The million dollar man. Not a bad price for someone who should play every game. But with players like Mitch Clark available cheaper I'd steer clear. Has been injured almost all preseason aswell. Average 60's.

18. Fletcher Roberts. Lock down KPD. No thanks. Average 50's.

19. Lukas Webb. Our first pick in the draft, pick if he gets games. Average 50's.

21. Tom Liberatore. Gun, gun, gun. People will steer clear because of Griffen leaving, and that fair enough. But the only effect I see it having on Libba is consistency. You might get some more quiet (70-80) games. But he did fairly well with Griffen out this year. Good bye for a midfielder, can't see anything wrong with this selection. Average 110-120.

22. Mitch Honeychurch. Should play a game or two, but will play mostly VFL. Sub risk too. Average 60's.

23. Jordan Roughead. KPD. No thanks. Average 60-65.

24. Shane Biggs. Yes. If selected round one pick him. Will fill the void left by Higgins and be our seconds rebounding defender. Someone who should play every game, average 80+ and has a good bye as a midfielder, he looks the goods to me.

25. Koby Stevens. You'll get pretty much what you did this year, not relevant, average 70-75.

26. Declan Hamilton. First year player, should be in the VFL all year. Average 40's.

27. Will Minson. The standout player this preseason. After having his 2014 season killed by a back injury, he is fit again and many who go watch out training sessions have him as the clear stand out so far. Depending on your ruck strategy, pick him. Average 105-115 (this is mostly guess work, hard to know with the new ruck scoring).

28. Josh Prudden. Injury prone, but rookie price. Just like any other 117k player, pick him if he gets games. Average 50's.

29. Tory Dickson. Not a supercoach player. Average 65-70.

30. Joel Hamling. Mature player from Geelong. I personally don't see him playing too many games, but if he does he should do well for his price. Average 55-60.

31. Bailey Dale. Don't see him playing in his first year. Maybe a downgrade. Average 35-45.

32. Michael Talia. KPD, no thanks. Average 70's

33. Sam Darley. Good ball user, but won't score enough to be a keeper. Will be a good supercoach player in a few years, just not yet. Average 65-70.

35. Caleb Daniel. The only rookie from us that you should pick. Has SANFL experience, so should go ok against mature bodies. We all know about his size, but he makes up for it by being elite in almost every other category. When he gets a game, pick him. Average 75-80.

36. Matthew Fuller. No. Average 35-45.

38. Dale Morris. Love him, but no. Average 40-55.

39. Jason Johannison. Attacking defender who many want to move to the wing. Has a lot of supercoach potential, but can't see him averaging more than low 70's for the time being.

42. Liam Picken. Pure heart, but you don't get supercoach points for that. Average 60-65.

43. Jack Redpath. Developing KPF, no thanks. Average 40-50.

46. Lin Jong. Should play games, and actually has a good supercoach game. Tall and athletic midfielder, but I'd steer clear for now. I do expect him to be a decent player in a few years. Average low 70's.

49. Ayce Cordy. Make or break year for Ayce. Not a supercoach player though. Average 35-45.

20. Daniel Pearce. Mature rookie. Could get a game if upgraded, but should spend the year in the VFL. Average 40-50.

34. Jordan Kelly. Another mature player from Hawthorn. Our coach knows him fairly well, so if upgraded he could get game. But that's a big if. Average 50-55.

37. Rourke Smith. Rookie. No. Average 35-45.

44. Brett Goodes. The only rookie that is relevant. Looks like he has dropped about 5kg and is fit, something he hasn't in the past. If we get an injury he should be the first player upgraded. If played in the midfield he could easily average low 90' and with Biggs/Murphy/Darley all back flankers that should be his role. His best and his worst are miles apart, but on the watch list. Average 60-90 (really hard to gauge).

My top five picks from Western Bulldogs in 2015.
1. Marcus Bontempelli
2. Will Minson
3. Shane Biggs
4. Tom Liberatore
5. Caleb Daniel

Hopefully that is helpful for some people, look forward to reading other posters thoughts on their clubs for 2015 supercoach.

1. Alex Fasolo. Very inconsistent over the last 2 years. If he stays injury free he could average between 75-80 but I wouldn't risk it.

2. Sam Dwyer. Won't improve. 60-65

3. Brent Macaffer. ACL. Will miss first half of season.

4. Brodie Grundy. Don't think he'll improve much from last year, still only a 20 year old ruckman. 65-70

5. Jamie Elliott. Has improved every year, and 2015 will be no exception. Could be a good PoD. 85 - 95

6. Tyson Goldsack. Not Supercoach relevant, has no room for improvement. 60-65

7. Ben Kennedy. Got very good supercoach scores when he wasn't the sub last year, which was just 3 times. If he improves his fitness and stops getting the vest then I think he could average 75-85

8. Tom Langdon. Mid priced defender in his second year which is unappealing. Could be a good PoD. 75-80

9. Jesse White. Key forward who averages 1 goal a game. Not supercoach relevant. 60-65

10. Scott Pendlebury. Some might say losing Beams will affect his scores but he's been getting tagged just about every week for the last 3 years. The guy is just a freak. Can't start without him. 120 - 130

11. Jarryd Blair. See Goldsack.

12. Matthew Scharenberg. See Macaffer

13. Taylor Adams. Showed real improvement before his season ending injury. Will definitely improve but he is priced awkwardly and has kicking woes. 75-85

14. Clinton Young. Not supercoach relevant and prone to injuries. 65-70

15. Jarrod Witts. Improving at a very fast rate and is a potential breakout player, but it's hard to tell with young ruckmen. There are better options around his price. 70-80

16. Nathan Brown. Is rookie priced but is a KPD and injury prone. Doubt he averages more than 50-55

17. Jonathon Marsh. I loved what I saw in the VFL last year but i'm not sure if he will score high. Pick him if he gets games. 45-55

18. Travis Varcoe. Never really been supercoach relevant and I'd doubt a move to another club will fix that. 65-75

19. Levi Greenwood. Could be a good PoD. Think he'll average about the same as last year. 90-100

20. Ben Reid. Injury prone and Key position player, but is very low priced. If he starts round 1 I might get him. 65-80

21. Nathan Freeman. Pick 10 who is rookie priced and didn't debut last year. Hate to say it but is 'tearing up the track'. Definitely get him if he starts round 1, which he will. 70-80

22. Steele Sidebottom. Out and out gun. Only scored under 100 once in his last 11 games of 2014 and still has room for improvement. 110-120

23. Lachie Keeffe. KPD, avoid. 55-65

24. Josh Thomas. I think he'll struggle to keep a spot in the team next year. Struggles badly against good teams. 65-75

25. Jack Crisp. In his six games last year he averaged 80+ so there's no reason he can't do it again.

26. Marley Williams. Think he'll have a similar season to last year. 70-75.

27. Tony Armstrong. No. Just no.

28. Ben Sinclair. See Blair.

29. Tim Broomhead. Has star potential and i'd be putting money on him to win the Rising Star. 70-85

30. Darcy Moore. First year key forward. Avoid starting with him, but like all rookies, get him if he gets game I guess. 45-55

31. Jackson Ramsay. I like him and I think he'll play a lot of games with our lack of defenders. Could be a good POD. 60-70

32. Travis Cloke. Nothing really suggests that he'll get back to his 2011/2013 form. 75-80

33. Patrick Karnezis. Played some very good football in the VFL and is rookie priced. Get him if he gets a game. 65-70

34. Alan Toovey. See Sinclair.

35. Jordan De Goey. Pick 5. Looks AFL ready. Will definitely play this year. 65-75

36. Dane Swan. I don't see him returning to his best like others say, but is too good to pass up at 450k (?). His season was plagued by injuries last year and by all reports is having a better pre-season than last year. 90-100

37. Brayden Maynard. Not much competition in our defence. Has an AFL ready body too, so should play this season. 65-75

38. Matthew Goodyear. First year player, should be in VFL all year. 55-60

39. Michael Manteit. Rookie. Get him if he gets a game. 55-65

40. Paul Seedsman. Has all the tools to become a gun supercoach player and this just might be the year we all see it. Hasn't missed a beat all pre season yet apparently. 75-90

41. Brenden Abbott. Rookie, don't know much about him

43. Adam Oxley Really don't know much about him. 60-65

44. Corey Gault. KPF. Doubt he plays more than 5 games. 40-55

45. Jack Frost. KPD. meh. 55-65

46. Mason Cox. First year american ruckmen. I'd be staggered if he gets a game. 45-55

My top five picks from Collingwood in 2015.
1. Scott Pendlebury
2. Dane Swan
3. Nathan Freeman
4. Steele Sidebottom
5. Brayden Maynard

Just thought it would be handy to have a thread where people can write a sentence or two on every player from their club, what you think they'll average, etc. Can ask club specific questions in here as well I guess.

I'll do the dogs.

1. Jarrad Grant. Not relevant in supercoach. Even if he plays well like his end to 2013, can only see him averaging low 70's.

2. Robert Murphy. You know what you're getting with Bob. With Swallow, McViegh and co not defenders this year, he should be a good shout for a top 10 defenders spot. Can't see the captaincy effecting him too much as he's always been in the media and a leader. I can see him averaging 85-90, but whether you want to select a 32 year old is another thing.

3. Mitch Wallis. Will play every game he's fit. With the new coach coming in he should be released from tagging duties. But can't see him doing enough to be in your team. Average 80-85.

4. Marcus Bontempelli. If I was to select one Dog in my team this year, it would be the Bontz. Marks, kicks goals, contested player, stands up in big moments... and is only 18 years old! As Griffen and Cooney go out of the team, three or so players are going to need to fill the void, Bontempelli is one of them for me. He played up forward a lot last year, and still posted scores of 91, 91, 139, 111, 97, 85, 139 and 105. From round 13 last year (once he became a regular in the team) to the end of season he averaged 93. Ofcouse, there's safer options given the depth in supercoach forwards this year, but I see him as a person who should be very high on your watch list. Average 88-95.

5. Matthew Boyd. Nothing really needs to be said here, you know what you're getting. Will be important this year as the only really experienced mid, but don't know if that makes him supercoach relevant. Average 95-100

6. Luke Dahlhaus. IMO for that price I'd steer clear. If he's playing in the midfield full time he'd be a good pick, but a lot of us supporters want him to play 70/30 up forward as we lack forward pressure, which he is elite as. Better forward options. Average 85.

7. Lachie Hunter. Watch his NAB cup. Has been very good in preseason, winning our time trial. With the new attacking gamestyle out coach has been sprouting, it seems like the system that we would thrive under. The only think that puts me off selecting him is the sub rule. He is literally the perfect person to use as sub, which makes him awkward to select. Average 75-80.

8. Stewie Crameri. Not much I can say, you know what you're going to get. An average of about 80. Steer clear, especially with the ASADA cloud still hanging over him.

9. Jake Stringer. I personally wouldn't pick him, but can see the intrigue in him. A 193cm bulking midfielder/forward. When he eventually has the tank and moves into the midfield he will be an absolute gem, as he has the most potential of anyone on out list. But that won't be for a while, more of a forward at this stage. Ended the year well, though. And should be good for 40+ goals. Average 80-85.

10. Easton Wood. Lock down defender, can't see him being relevant. Some want him moved to a wing, but I prefer him as a defender. Average low 70's.

11. Jack Macrae. Love the kid, but he's the one I see suffering the most from Griffen leaving. Blitzed it last year, not many second year players average 27 touches and 100 supecoach points, but he'd by my #1 target for the tag now. He could come out and go another level up, but given he'll get a lot more attention I see him taking a small step backwards, especially with consistency. Average 90-95.

12. Zaine Cordy. Defender rookie, should play two or three games, downgrade target if so, won't score very well. Average 40-55

13. Nathan Hrovat. Really like this kid, I think he should really cement himself in the team this year. One of the most frustrating things that McCartney did has coach was play him as a forward. Scored three tons playing that role last year, but that should improve as he becomes a midfielder. If I wasn't see keen on Bontempelli, I'd get Hrovat. Can't have both. Average 90.

14. Clay Smith. Injured. Maybe get him when he returns. Average 75-80

15. Tom Campbell. Not really relevant with Minson still at the club. Should play 6 or 7 games. One for when Minson retired. Average 60's.

16. Toby McLean. Just like any other rookie, pick him if he gets games. Average 55-60.

17. Tom Boyd. The million dollar man. Not a bad price for someone who should play every game. But with players like Mitch Clark available cheaper I'd steer clear. Has been injured almost all preseason aswell. Average 60's.

18. Fletcher Roberts. Lock down KPD. No thanks. Average 50's.

19. Lukas Webb. Our first pick in the draft, pick if he gets games. Average 50's.

21. Tom Liberatore. Gun, gun, gun. People will steer clear because of Griffen leaving, and that fair enough. But the only effect I see it having on Libba is consistency. You might get some more quiet (70-80) games. But he did fairly well with Griffen out this year. Good bye for a midfielder, can't see anything wrong with this selection. Average 110-120.

22. Mitch Honeychurch. Should play a game or two, but will play mostly VFL. Sub risk too. Average 60's.

23. Jordan Roughead. KPD. No thanks. Average 60-65.

24. Shane Biggs. Yes. If selected round one pick him. Will fill the void left by Higgins and be our seconds rebounding defender. Someone who should play every game, average 80+ and has a good bye as a midfielder, he looks the goods to me.

25. Koby Stevens. You'll get pretty much what you did this year, not relevant, average 70-75.

26. Declan Hamilton. First year player, should be in the VFL all year. Average 40's.

27. Will Minson. The standout player this preseason. After having his 2014 season killed by a back injury, he is fit again and many who go watch out training sessions have him as the clear stand out so far. Depending on your ruck strategy, pick him. Average 105-115 (this is mostly guess work, hard to know with the new ruck scoring).

28. Josh Prudden. Injury prone, but rookie price. Just like any other 117k player, pick him if he gets games. Average 50's.

29. Tory Dickson. Not a supercoach player. Average 65-70.

30. Joel Hamling. Mature player from Geelong. I personally don't see him playing too many games, but if he does he should do well for his price. Average 55-60.

31. Bailey Dale. Don't see him playing in his first year. Maybe a downgrade. Average 35-45.

32. Michael Talia. KPD, no thanks. Average 70's

33. Sam Darley. Good ball user, but won't score enough to be a keeper. Will be a good supercoach player in a few years, just not yet. Average 65-70.

35. Caleb Daniel. The only rookie from us that you should pick. Has SANFL experience, so should go ok against mature bodies. We all know about his size, but he makes up for it by being elite in almost every other category. When he gets a game, pick him. Average 75-80.

36. Matthew Fuller. No. Average 35-45.

38. Dale Morris. Love him, but no. Average 40-55.

39. Jason Johannison. Attacking defender who many want to move to the wing. Has a lot of supercoach potential, but can't see him averaging more than low 70's for the time being.

42. Liam Picken. Pure heart, but you don't get supercoach points for that. Average 60-65.

43. Jack Redpath. Developing KPF, no thanks. Average 40-50.

46. Lin Jong. Should play games, and actually has a good supercoach game. Tall and athletic midfielder, but I'd steer clear for now. I do expect him to be a decent player in a few years. Average low 70's.

49. Ayce Cordy. Make or break year for Ayce. Not a supercoach player though. Average 35-45.

20. Daniel Pearce. Mature rookie. Could get a game if upgraded, but should spend the year in the VFL. Average 40-50.

34. Jordan Kelly. Another mature player from Hawthorn. Our coach knows him fairly well, so if upgraded he could get game. But that's a big if. Average 50-55.

37. Rourke Smith. Rookie. No. Average 35-45.

44. Brett Goodes. The only rookie that is relevant. Looks like he has dropped about 5kg and is fit, something he hasn't in the past. If we get an injury he should be the first player upgraded. If played in the midfield he could easily average low 90' and with Biggs/Murphy/Darley all back flankers that should be his role. His best and his worst are miles apart, but on the watch list. Average 60-90 (really hard to gauge).

My top five picks from Western Bulldogs in 2015.
1. Marcus Bontempelli
2. Will Minson
3. Shane Biggs
4. Tom Liberatore
5. Caleb Daniel

Hopefully that is helpful for some people, look forward to reading other posters thoughts on their clubs for 2015 supercoach.

I'm certainly not in the loop with the Bulldogs but i'm not sure about some of the averages and your top 5 picks.

Bontempelli to average 88-95 and he's the best selection at the Bulldogs? An average of 88-95 may not be good enough to be in the top 10 forwards this season, which means he may not even be a keeper. Priced at 420k, he needs to be a keeper otherwise you will burn a trade at some point.
Minson to average 105-115, so everyone should be picking him then? Priced at 93 and will average 105+, that's a great bargain... If he had such a debilitating back injury, why didn't they rest him during the season? He's only ever averaged over 100 once, with averages of 95 and 93 either side of that 114 average. With the change to the ruck scoring, all ruckmen are going to take a 5-10 point dip in their average. He's much more likely to average 85-92 than anywhere over 105.
Liberatore to average 110-120, if that's the case he should be in your starting team without any concerns. However, with Griffen gone he is target number 1 for all taggers and is likely to find it harder this season. Unless Boyd, Macrae and others can take a lot of pressure off Libba in the center, i can't see his average going higher than 110.

Jesse Hogan 130k, guaranteed games. Expect scores between 40- 70, will be a very popular F8 WATCH PRE SEASON
Nathan Jones Don't pick premo priced mids in bottom 4 teams
Christian Salem 185k, DPP. There are cheaper rookies but could be a solid pick WATCH PRE SEASON
Jack Watts Insert joke here
Jimmy Toumpas Make or break season for Jimmy. At 308k, it's too big a risk
Chris Dawes Insert joke here
Jack Viney Needs to clean up his disposal. No.
Heritier Lumumba Not sure about this talk of midfield time. Will get the defensive tag
Jack Trengove Long term injury, opening up a slot for a rookie listed player
Angus Brayshaw Roosy likes to ease draft picks in, might be a decent pick up late in the season, but I wouldn't start with him WATCH PRE SEASON
Max Gawn Just like Toumpas, price is awkward and there are better options
Dom Tyson Better MID options at that price
Jordie McKenzie He's still on our list?
Lynden Dunn Scores are too up and down, no.
Billy Stretch Not expecting him to play too much this year
Dean Kent Does not play a SC relevant role
Sam Frost Tall defender, no.
Daniel Cross Does not play a SC relevant role
Ben Newton Interesting one. 215k, hopefully is this years Dom Tyson WATCH PRE SEASON
Colin Garland Does not play a SC relevant role
Cameron Pedersen No
Viv Michie 321k, not worth a spot in the MID
Bernie Vince Better MID options at that price
Jay Kennedy-Harris Not SC relevant
Tom McDonald Does not play a SC relevant role
Christian Petracca Might get eased into it, cheaper rookie options to start with WATCH PRE SEASON
Aiden Riley Will struggle to get games
Oscar McDonald 18 year old key defender, no
Jayden Hunt Can't see him getting regular games
Alex Neal-Bullen Recovering from a knee injury, might be a great downgrade option mid season WATCH PRE SEASON
Jack Grimes Needs to clean up his disposal. No.
Jeff Garlett Small forward, there are better options in the FWD line
Aaron Vandenberg Rookie listed, recovering from a shoulder injury. Could be a gem. WATCH PRE SEASON
Jeremy Howe Not worth 460k
Neville Jetta Small lock-down defender, no
Mark Jamar No
Mitch White Rookie listed, rebounding defender position is his if he's ready. WATCH PRE SEASON
Jake Spencer No
James Harmes Rookie listed, can't see him getting regular games
Rohan Bail No
Matt Jones No
Dean Terlich No
Max King No
Jack Fitzpatrick No

PLAYERS TO WATCH:
Jesse Hogan
Christian Salem

Angus Brayshaw
Ben Newton
Christian Petracca
Alex Neal-Bullen
Aaron Vandenberg
Mitch White

Hickey - best ruck prospect but coming back from injury 80-90. No.
Siposs - No.
Steven - really nice cheap option but will attract the tag 105-115. Yes.
Templeton - nice price and will def get games but didnt show to be a consistently high scorer. Price low due to injury game last year 60-70. Maybe.
Savage - solid mid priced option for the backline. Will be better for the year acclimatising to the team 80-90. Yes.
Ross - better mid priced options 70-80. No.
Dunstan - better players at his price but will increase his average 80-90. No.
Acres - very solid rookie. Highly rated, should get games and at just over $200k should make a bit of cash 80-90. Yes.
Lee - primed for a better year but not sc relevant 60-70. No.
Markworth - could be a good downgrade option but wont be a high scorer 50-60. Maybe.
Montagna - severely underpriced and played through injury last year. Should get back to lofty heights 100-110. Yes.
Riewoldt - will continue around the 90s which isnt good enough for fwd line this year. Still a good option 85-95. Yes.
Schneider - rookie listed and wont play much 60-70. No.
Geary - cant see him being consistently good enough to feature in any teams 70-80. No.
Billings - like Dunstan will increase his average but not enough to be sc relevant 80-90. No.
Newnes - very likely prospect. Has increased his average over the years, been eating timetrials for breakfast 90-100. Yes. Lock him in!
Roberton - actually really like Roberton as a medium priced money maker. Roughly same price as waters and may be behind a few but is in ripping nick 75-85. Maybe.
Longer - not sc relevant 65-75. No.
Gilbert - think his body is past it. Looking at round 1 but been injured 70-80. No.
Armitage - solid battler but not at his price 90-100. No.
Delaney - kpd 40-50. No.
Ray - not sc relevant 75-85. No.
White - kpf 50-60. No.
Dempster - better options around his price 75-85. No.
Fisher - like Fisher as a risky premo pick. Again in ripping nick first preseason in ages and will be right to go 85-95. Maybe.
Curren - doesnt play a sc friendly role as of late. If he gets off the chain could be a wildcard but not likely 65-75. No.
Bruce - kpswingman 50-60. No.
Membrey - good prospect especially at his price. Is definitely not the kpf many make him out to be will push up the flanks 60-70. Yes.
Webster - solid player but not sc relevant at his price.
Murdoch - back injury has slowed him down but at his price is tempting. Impacted majorly by the vest last year 60-70. Maybe.
Simpkin - kpd 40-50. No.
McCartin - kpf 50-60. No.
Goddard - kpd who may play that third tall interceptor. Will play games but doubt he will score well 45-55. Maybe.
Wright - not a sc friendly role 50-60. No.
Saunders - suffers from team dynamics and vest. Will push his average again but not at his price 65-75. No.
McKenzie - another rookie pricesd player who looks most likely of getting games. Big motor so hopefuly wont attract the vest 55-65. Maybe.
Lonie - very very skinny 40-50. No.
Saad - huge possibility but needs to be upgraded. Could be a handy downgrade option 60-70. Maybe.
Shenton - not sc relevant at his price 65-75. No.
Sinclair - most likely of the rookies to be upgraded and will score well loves a contest and can kick a goal 65-75. Maybe.
Minchington - will be in and out of the side 55-65. No.
Pierce - not sc relevant unless wanting someone to be on the ruck bench. Almost got games as travelling emergency late last year but wont score well 40-50. No.
Payne - very very skinny and needs to be upgraded 50-60. No.
Weller - has negating roles which hurt his score 60-70. No.

My top picks..

1. Newnes
2. Steven
3. Montagna
4. Acres
5. Membrey

Lots of risky picks that may turn out as well.. Fisher, Savage, Roberton, Saad when he is upgraded

The Swans.

1. James Rose
Mid sized forward, will have a few blokes ahead of him. He may sneak a game in if Goodes gets injured but a no for me.

2. Rhyce Shaw
Too big a distance between best and worse games, 34 years of age and has struggled with injury/form over past 2 years. Will average 70 at best. Pass.

3. Jarrad McVeigh
Not relevant now since he has lost DPP. Role uncertain. Better options elsewhere in the midfield. 90-95 per game.

4. Dan Hannebery
An interesting one. I think he will have better output than last year but how much is the question? He is certainly a worthy POD option but it does carry a lot of risk as his bad games are BAD.
At worst, he’ll average 95, at best I think he could nudge 105-110.

5. Isaac Heeney
Lets cut to the chase. The kid is a jet. It is a matter of when not if that he will play senior football this year. The Swans midfield is strong and deep however the one area they are deficient in is clearance work, and this is where Isaac fits in. He could also fill the role down back that Malceski has vacated. By years end he could win the Bob Skilton, Brownlow & Norm Smith Medals and possibly a knighthood from the Queen of England. If he is picked round 1, lock him in.

6. Tom Mitchell
Will play high half forward, mid role. He will get a lot of the ball. He will get a lot of points. The only question is will he get injured? Is apparently training the house the down, well the fact he is doing any preseason at all means in 2015 he has to be worth considering. 95 -100 range.

7. Harry Cunningham
Is more of a run with player for opposition speedsters/outside runners. 50-60 a game range.

8. Kurt Tippett
Not sure what his role will be, do they make him a full time forward or keep giving him the forward/ruck split? Will have big days, but will have quiet ones. Better options elsewhere.

9. Abaina (Abe) Davis
Key/mobile defender who is another academy product. Will be kept in NEAFL as a long term prospect. No for me.

10. Zak Jones
Is in the mix. He looks a best 25, not best 22 type but I said that about Harry Cunningham last year. Will play NAB. Watchlist

11. Jeremy Laidler
Will get games but is more of a top up/depth player. Pass.

12. JPK
Slightly more expensive this year but I think his average will drop a touch with Parker most likely to take more inside ball as he gets better. Will be in the 105-112 mark. Potential upgrade target for mine.

13. Toby Nankervis
He will get game time in the NAB. If Tippett is a permanent forward then keep a close eye on him as he will be in the mix. Watchlist

14. Craig Bird.
Can go big but he does a lot of run with roles. No for me. 85-90

15. Kieren Jack
Like Hannebery, he is only worth consideration for POD purposes. He is got more opposition tags last year so for me its a pass for round 1, however keep an eye on him.

16. Gary Rohan
Feck no

17. Jack Hiscox
Looks like a good steeplechaser/time trialler but not sure he will see much action this year.

19. Tom Derick X
Gave a good interview with Megan Fox last year*. Unless Pike is injured then he is not relevant.

* So i heard

20. Sam Reid
Will be fighting to keep his spot in the team this year. May go to defence but I can’t see anything above 60 per week.

21. Ben McGlynn
Lost DPP status, would have been worth considering as mid forward but better mid options elsewhere.

22. Dean Towers
Borderline best 22, is a sub risk when he is in the team. Pass

23. Lance Franklin
Must be considered for Round 1, can improve even more if Tippett plays most games as it will release him up the ground. At worst will average 92-95.

24. Dane Rampe
Could be a potential bolter. Defensively has a been very good and he was given a little more freedom at times last year but with Malceski gone there maybe scope for him to be given more rebound duties in his role. Can go forward and kick a goal. Watchlist.

25. Ted Richards
Not SC relevant

26. Luke Parker
The Swans inside mids love to share it around and Parker is winning a lot more of his own ball and imposing himself on the contest. Can mark, tackle and kick goals and will get better. Strongly consider. Could go 115-118

27. Daniel Robinson
Promoted off rookie list so coaching staff see something in him, however I can’t see him in the 22 anytime soon.

29. George Hewett
Kid looks promising, may play NAB but if he does break into the team it won’t be for long.

31. Harry (Don’t call me Harrison) Marsh.
Was talked up last preseason by Longmire and maybe will be in the mix for half back role in NAB. On my watch list but Im not getting my hopes up.

32. Lewis Jetta
Not SC relevant

33. Brandon Jack
See Dean Towers

34. Alex Johnson
If fit he is easily in our back 6, sadly he most likely will miss a third straight year.

36. Aliir Aliir
Tall mobile defender who rebounds very well. He has talent, good physique and athleticism. I think he is a realistic chance to play some senior football off half back this year. Should be in NAB squad. Watchlist

37. Adam Goodes
Best SC days are well behind him

38. Mike Pyke
Better options elsewhere

39. Heath Grundy
No

42. Xavier Richards
Long term replacement for Grundy/Richards. Will only come into the team as cover for these two if they are injured.

44. Jake Lloyd
Had a very good debut year, but can’t see him improving enough to be a keeper.

Rookie List
28. Nic Newman

Mature ager recruit (VF) who played a lot of football as a rebounding defender, made all the more interesting with Malceski gone. Has had minor knee surgery but keep and eye out for him. Watchlist

30. Sean Mclaren
Tall defender who can pinch hit in ruck, ala LRT. Will more than likely play NEAFL all year.

35. Sam Naismith
From the one game he played last year, he actually looked a decent prospect. Could almost be second in line to Pyke. Might get a chance at NAB

41. Lloyd Perris
Coming off injury, may find it hard to break into midfield.

43. Lewis Melican
Tall defender, will be playing NEAFL all year

45. Jordan Foote
Unlikely to play this year.

My Top 5
Mitchell
Franklin
Heeney
Parker
JPK

Summary
I think there are at least 2 spots up for grabs, and maybe 2 more if Goodes and Shaw don't make it through the season so there are opportunities in there.
Heeney is the pick of the rookie bunch but don't be surprised to see the names Jones, Aliir, Hewett and Marsh pop up.

Nathan Jones Don't pick premo priced mids in bottom 4 teams
That rules out Rockliff, Hanley, Beams, Treloar, Ward, Griffin, Greene and Steven as well as Jones .... not to mention GAj in 2011-13.
Not a rule I'll be sticking to.

Hey guys,

Here is my reveiw of Geelong. Averages are speculative on if the guys actually played. A lot of them wont get the chance to prove it.

Andrew Mackie:
Will pick up where he left off last year running the ball out of the backline and pushing up into the wing. Has been durable over the few years and isn;t carrying any niggles, but is in the twilight of his career, but should still be the key runner out of our backline until a few of the younger kids mature. Should give you some consistency in the back line this year. MAYBE for me as a POD. Average 80-90

Billie Smedts: Is still not in the best 22, but is on the fringe. Will get a few games possibly early which will give him a chance to prove himself. He is coming into his prime at 22, so if he is going to show something it will need to be soon. Can’t see him cementing a place to early so a NO for me. Average 55-65.

Bradley Hartman: Will see a few games this year as Geelong looks to blood younger players, but will struggle to find a solid spot in the forward line. NO for me, possible downgrade target mid year if he can string a couple of games together. Average 50-60.

Cameron Delany: If fit could find a spot in the backline and Geelong should be looking to plan life after Lonergan, Mackie, Enright and co. Can’t see him getting early games but may find his way into the team with injuries or resting player. Is a Geelong boy at heart so may settle at the Cattery and find some consistent form, but will find it hard to hold a spot for any length of time this year. If he stays injury free might be worth a look as a late downgrade target. NO for me, average 55-65.

Cameron Guthrie: One of many young Geelong players looking to step up this year. Found his place at Geelong beyond a run with role last year and should continue to show growth again this year. Is capable of some good scores running through the midfield, but is still part of the rotation. If he can cement his spot there permanently could surprise a few. NO for me at his price, but should average somewhere between 80-90, could push that average higher and become a nice POD, but it would be a big risk to take.

Corey Enright: Elder statesman of our backline and has delivered year in year out. Still capable of topping the ton on a regular basis but is 33, so can’t be expected to get back to his best. Should continue on where he left of last year, but will be rested throughout the season. MAYBE for me, as there are better options at the same price, and although he is durable, age is a concern. Average 80-90.

Corey Gregson: Only injuries will get this kid a game. Showed a bit at SANFL, but didn’t set the world on fire. Well down the order as a small forward, will take a year or so before he develops enough to push anyone out of the side. NO. Average 30-40.

Daniel Menzal: This guy would already be a lock if he had been able to play the last few years. Great talent and given how much he is still pushing himself, obviously has the mentality to play at the top level. Won’t play any early games, but will be a great downgrade target if he gets the first 2 games under his belt later in the season. NO to start with though. Average 65-75 will start slow, but find his feet after about 5 games (if he gets that far).

Dacry Lang: Will struggle to hold down a position in the midfield, but could find his way into the backline as a rebounder with some good foot skills. Will be one to watch but will be shifted around a fair bit early on, and if he does get games early will be seen in the vest on a regular basis. NO for me. Average 55-65.

Dawson Simpson: Big bodied ruck coming into his prime. Has shown before he is capable of running with the best of them and producing some good scores. Injury is the major concern as he has struggled to put more than 5 or 6 games on the board in a row. If fit and firing would be worth a look, but is a NO for me until he can prove his reliability. Average 80-90.

Dean Gore: Decent size for a rookie, but will not see many games this year, Geelong will look to build him up in the VFL for the bulk of the year. Might get a couple of games, but not enough to be relevant. NO for me. Average 50-55.

George Horlin-Smith: Tough and classy mid, and another of Geelongs younger brigade that should continue to improve this year. Will be a major part of the midfield rotation throughout the year, but will still be in the shadow of a few of the other guys. NO for me, is at an awkward price where he would really need to step up more then he probably will. Average 70-80.

Hamish McIntosh: Still a dominant ruck force when on the park, and is capable of holding his own against the competitions best. His past his peak, but will still hold down Geelongs number 1 ruck spot when fit. Will miss games throughout the year as Geelong will look to nurse their ruck division through to the finals to avoid a repeat of last year. NO for me, better options at the price, and will not see more than about 17 games. Average 80-90.

Harry Taylor: The swing man himself, proved in the last 2 years that he can push forward and be just as damaging, but is still in my bias opinion the best key defender in the game. Paying forward the only reason he didn’t go AA the last 2 years. Shouldn’t see as much forward time with the addition of Clark and Stanley, but is still more than capable of scoring well down back. Biggest issue will be inconsistency when down back, will be forced to play some lock down roles which is less SC friendly. NO for me, as there are better options at the same price, and a little uncertainty about how much freedom he will be given this year. Great POD and worth keeping an eye on in the NAB cup though. Average 70-80.

Jackson Thurlow: One of a few Geelong will be hoping develops in the shadows of Mackie and Enright. Showed some good signs at the end of last year playing in our finals campaign. Might not play a full season, but should see his fair share of games. He is awkwardly priced for a guy who has only played 8 games. Been in the system for 3 years, but I would be treating him as a high priced rookie. NO for me at this stage, has not shown enough to validate a spot yet. Average 60-70.

Jake Kolodjashnij: The lesser Kolodjashnij should break into the side this year, and depending on NAB cup performances should be in consideration for a rookie spot in defence. Yet to play a game, but spent last year developing his body and fine tuning his skills which should bode well for him this year. Geelong will be looking for young defenders to break in as we will be losing the core of our defence over the next few years. Kolodjashnij is a prime candidate to fill one of those roles. YES for me, there are other options, but Kolodjashnij should be considered alongside them. Average 60-70.

James Kelly: One of Geelongs ageing players who has shown enough consistency over the years to be considered. At 31 it’s hard to see him make any improvement, but will play most games and give you a few tons throughout the year. Will be on the downward spiral SC wise, but still vital to the team. NO for me, better options and I can see him dipping in average a little this year. Average 80-85.

James Toohey: Might see a couple of games, but is a fringe player at best. Was used as a KP swing man between defence and attack. Given the additions to our attack, if he is any chance to get any worthwhile game time, he will need to focus on playing down back. Has the talent to make it there and is quick for a guy his size. Will not see any early games, and can’t see him getting more than a couple throughout the season this year. Will continue to develop in the VFL. NO from me. Average 40-50.

Jared Rivers: Came into his own last year and is now a major fixture in our back line. Plays a selfless role and is not going to be playing loose to much. Rivers allows players like Mackie and Enright to rebound out of defence by staying back. NO for me, plays too much of a defensive role. Average 60-70.

Jarrad Jansen: Best midfield rookie option at Geelong. Strong bodied inside mid who is more than capable of pushing forward. Beefed up last year and has done his apprentiship on the sidelines. Prime candidate to break into Geelongs side this year on a regular basis. YES for me, possibly better rookies but he is one to watch. Average 65-75.

Jed Bews: Should break into the side on a regular basis this year. Showed some good signs last year, and we be given the chance this year to earn his spot. One of a few young defenders that will be blooded through more this year. NO for me, probably won’t play a full season, and is priced at the high end for a rookie, but will not produce anything more than some of the first year players. Average 50-60.

Jimmy Bartel: Absolute champion of both SC and football in general. The perfect mould for a utility, which is shown in the fact he has been selectable in defence, the midfield and the forward line over the last few years. Age will worry a few, but the guy is durable and plays smart. Is still capable of huge scores, but they will be coupled with some smaller ones in games when he will be given a specific role to play. Team player, doesn’t go beyond his role, but is good enough to produce some great scores regardless of where he plays. YES for me as a forward, no reason why he can’t produce another 100+ year, but will no doubt be overlooked for younger guys with the same scoring potential. Average 95-105.

Joel Selwood: Superstar, nothing more to say, has averaged in the elite since his 3rd year in the game, and shows no signs of slowing down. Among the big three with Ablett and Pendles who have been able to deliver year in year out for the last 5 years. Only reason to not have him in your side is if you already have Pendles and Ablett, and lack the cash. If you can afford him you are mad if you don’t have him. YES everyday of the week. Average 117-122.

Jordan Cunico: Will spend this year and possibly another developing in the VFL. Can’t see him getting a game this year unless he stars in the VFL, which I don’t think will happen. Straight out of TAC cup so will need time to find his feet playing at a higher level before being considered. NO, average 35-45.

Jordan Murdoch: This guy is a jet, which is in short supply at Geelong, so he will play most of the year. Will rotate through the midfield but also push forward a fair bit to crumb off the feet of Hawkins and Clark. NO at his price. Average 65-75.

Josh Caddy: Primed to break out this year and could be very much under priced. Showed late last year that he can pull up some worthy scores, but is still inconsistent. Caddy will need to hold his form to be considered and stop dropping sub 50 scores from time to time. Well and truly cemented in our midfield, so will be given every chance to perform. MAYBE from me, if he was a little cheaper I would take him over Rich, but at his price he is competing with a lot of other good players. Well worth watching his NAB cup games, because if he does step up it will be early in the season. Average 85-95.

Josh Cowan : Outside chance to get a couple of games, but not enough of a chance to be considered. Being struck down by various injuries has curtailed any development, and unless he develops this year, which is a long shot, probably won’t last till next year. NO for me. Average 30-40

Josh Walker: With the addition of Stanley and Clark, Walker will struggle to find a spot in the side. Will play a few games but mostly only due to injuries. NO from me, average 55-65.

Lincoln McCarthy: Suffered a major blow to his preseason with an injury that will mean he will struggle to find a spot in the team until maybe later in the year. Well down the pecking order for small forwards, but when fit could see a couple of late games. Won’t be SC relevant though. NO from me, average 40-50.

Mark Blicavs: Love this guy, super endurance player who will run down or out run anyone close to his size. Still fairly new to AFL but showed that he is capable of continuing to develop his skills and become more damaging. Possibility that either he or Stanley will find themselves down back this year, which could do wonders for him. If he continues to improve his disposal could be highly valuable down there in a year or so. But SC wise this year he is at an awkward price where he would really need to show a lot of improvement, and I’m not sure he is one to jump up 20 ppg. NO from me, average 70-80.

Matthew Stokes: Shown some great improvement in his later years, and shows no signs of slowing down. Will continue to play mostly in the midfield but will rotate a bit more into the forward line as some of the younger guys push into the midfield more. As a mid only, im going to say NO, he is already priced at his average can’t see him moving up. Average 90-95.

Michael Luxford: a development in progress, only has one year of footy under his belt, so will take more time to develop into anything. Plays as a power forward, so doubtful he will get any chance this year even if he does show some signs in the VFL this year. NO for me. Average 30-40.

Mitchell Clark: Proven scorer in the past playing as either a power forward or ruck. Should see time in both those positions when given the chance. Slight injury concern over the preseason but still on track for a round 1 debut in the hoops. Can’t be ignored at his price and should only have to deal with the second best defender so could do some damage. YES for me, average 75-85.

Mitch Duncan: This guy gets less attention than he should, young guy who is quickly becoming a very dominant midfielder who can push forward and kick goals. Jumped his average up by 20 ppg last year on the back of a more attacking style of play, and should see another increase again this year. Only thing keeping him from my team at the moment is his price, I can’t see him making another jump big enough to justify taking him at the price, but I could be wrong. Has well a truly found his place at Geelong and with the attention more on Selwood is able to play a bit more freely. MAYBE from me, average 100-105.

Nakia Cockatoo: Recruited to add some class and pace into our midfield, and ticks all the right boxes to be a great addition to the team. Should see games early, but is at a price that will put a lot of people off. NO for me based on the price, but could be worthwhile downgrading too if he doesn’t get any early games. Average 60-70.

Nathan Vardy: Will dominate at some point if he can stay on the park, but is running out of time to prove it. Highly versatile for a guy his size and would be a hard match up for any team across the half forward line. Great over head, and good on the ground, the perfect link man connecting the defensive rebounders to the tall forwards. Injuries a major concern and has already set himself back in the preseason. NO for me, will need a full season under his belt before being considered now. Average 65-75.

Padraig Lucey: Rookie listed player to come out of ‘The Recruit’. Mature body, but will struggle to hold down a spot. Might see some games midyear to test him out, but won’t be coming off the rookie list anytime soon. NO for me, will need a year at least to get use to the level. Average 45-55.

Rhys Stanley: Hard to put a mark on this guy. Clark and Hawkins will be the go to keys forwards this year with Simpson and McIntosh the rucks. Will struggle to hold down a permanent position and will be used around the ground and off the bench. My pick along with Blicavs to be thrown into defence which would give him a better chance of holding down a regular position, although he will be new to the back line and will find it tough to begin with. NO for me, at his price you would want him to already have a position locked down, and imo he doesn’t. Average 60-70.

Sam Blease: Will surprise a few this year, as I reckon he will see plenty of games. Add’s the pace to our midfield that we are lacking and has shown in a couple of games that he knows how to use it and get his hands on the ball, the ability to push forward is always a positive for SC. Out of favour at Melbourne, but was brought to Geelong for a purpose, a preseason at Geelong and a more structured approach will hopefully see him reach his potential. YES for me. Average 75-85.

Shane Kersten: Great young developing KPF, but is going to find it hard to cement a spot now with Clark and Stanley pushing for selection as well. Will be seen in a few games, but will not doubt be in and out of the side all year, and will struggle to find consistency. Still a bit away from his prime, so they will still be looking to develop him. NO for me. Average 45-55.

Steve Johnson: A player capable of ending the year in the elite. Has a great ability to find himself in the right spots and pushes himself around the field all game, great endurance runner and still has the smarts to pull off some amazing plays. Can sometimes make the wrong choice and cause a turnover on a regular basis as well. Pulled up sore recently in his foot, but should be good to go come round 1. Good POD, but not sure he will get back into the elite category. With the younger midfielders coming up he may find his role in the mids lessened a little, and could find himself rested at various stages as he will be 32 come mid season. MAYBE, worth considering. Average 95-105.

Steven Motlop: Showed plenty of ability last year and will be given a bigger role now with Christensen gone and the need for pace. Great skills and has the x-factor ability as well. Will no doubt have a purple patch this year, but will be used in a variety of roles depending on the teams structure and who we are playing, will be rotated into the mid field from the wing and half forward. One to watch in the preseason, but like Wingard at Port will need to play mostly in the midfield to become an SC option, otherwise he will frustrate who ever has him as he scores fluctuate from game to game depending on his primary position week in week out. MAYBE, if he does move into the midfield, he would be worth a look, but if not there are more consistent option available at his price. Average 80-85.

Tom Hawkins: Will relish the chance of playing next to another established forward, and will not doubt push again for AA selection. Like all KPF’s however, he is reliant on the midfield to actually deliver him the ball, and will have big highs and small lows, play one week for 150 and the next for 40, his average through out the year will look OK, but his consistency will be a major issue as he doesn’t push up the ground enough like Franklin to add points to his game. A true KPF. This year will see Hawkins at his best, but SC wise possibly not, whilst he will not have to compete as much with the defenders as he did last year, he will no longer be the only focal point with Clark presenting as well, so Hawkins 5 goal games might be scaled back a bit. NO for me. Average 80-90.

Tom Lonergan: Great player for Geelong, not so much for SC. A lock down defender likely to go to the number one forward week in week out, will also miss a couple of games, and is on the wrong side of 30. Easy No for me, average 45-55.

Tom Read: Buckley’s chance of getting a game this year. A Developing KPP will be given plenty of time in the VFL. NO, average 30-40.

Zac Bates: Great little run and carry player who has struggled with injuries. If given the chance (slim at best) could be alright for SC as he takes the game on, although skills might be an issue. No point in taking the game on only to turn it over. NO for mine. Average 45-55.

TOP 5 SUPERCOACH PLAYERS FROM GEELONG:

Joel Selwood
Mitch Duncan
Jared Jansen
Sam Blease
Mitch Clark

The Swans.

8. Kurt Tippett
Not sure what his role will be, do they make him a full time forward or keep giving him the forward/ruck split? Will have big days, but will have quiet ones. Better options elsewhere.

Read a couple of days ago that he's been spending alot of time training with Pyke on ruck work so probably a good indication of him being a relief ruckman this season.

Essendon
Michael Hibberd-Yes, barring he stays injury free. Gun when he is in form, and is super consistent. Average 95-100
Tom Bellchambers-Maybe, again barring he stays injury free. If he stays on the park, can see him averaging 85+ but consistency and injuries are an issue. R/F DPP very handy. Average 75-85
Paul Chapman-No, will likely be rested often due hammies, and aging is an issue. Average 75-90
Jobe Watson-Yes, if he stays on the park, then will go big, but can see his hammies going twang. If you have faith he will stay on park, then should average 115+, but probably will be around the 105-115 mark
Brent Stanton-No, old, burnt out, on the way down. 80-90
Joe Daniher-No, young KPF. Will have the occasional big game but not consistent enough. 65-80
Zach Merrett-2nd year blues, I'd stay away with awkward price. 70-80
Jason Winderlich-No, old, injury prone, likely be his last year. Average 50-70
Brendon Goddard-Yes, absolute lock. Hird loved playing him through midfield in 2013 and Goddards scores went massive when he played there last year. Only time his scores were down were due to injuries or being put at FF. 100-110
Nick O'brien-No, won't play.
David Zaharakis-Maybe, Gun when he is on song but too inconsistent for mine, better options for the same price. Watch to see how he starts season. Average 90-105
Mark Baguley-Way too inconsistent, but can go big- no for mine. Average 70-85.
Adam Cooney- See Paul Chapman
Jason Ashby-Can see him breaking into team, but too awkwardly priced, potential sub. No. 55-65
Courtenay Dempsey-No, will struggle to hold a spot in the side and past his best. Average 65-75
Tayte Pears-No, won't play.
Jake Melksham-Struggle to hold a spot, no. Average 65-80
Michael Hurley-Maybe, Will improve on an impressive 2014, but would stay away due to KPD, can go big. Watch to see how he starts. 80-95
Shaun Edwards-No, unlikely to play, and if he does won't be SC relevant. 30-50
Jackson Merrett- No, was a false sense of hope early last year SC wise. Don't think anyone knows his best position and consistency an issue. 65-75
Dyson Heppell-Yes, if he plays how he ended last year, could be a very popular upgrade choice, though will likely attract tag, but has shown he can shake it. 110-115
Jake Carlisle-Maybe, will likely stay KPF which isn't good for his scoring, still struggling to find his feet, but one to watch as a POD if he starts on fire. 70-85
David Myers- Maybe, IMO Myers is in for a huge year, Very consistent but not a huge ceiling, one to watch. 90-100
Alex Browne- Maybe, unlikely to play, and coming off an knee reco so won't be relevant. But if breaks in I think he is rookie priced. 40-50
Cale Hooker- Is a huge intercept marker which is good for SC, but will likely take number 1 opposition forward so won't score well. No for me. 70-80
Jonathan Giles- Maybe, if Bellchambers goes down early, could be one to watch. But if not stay away. 70-80
Elliot Kavanagh-See Jason Ashby
Patrick Ambrose-No, Awkward price, not SC relevant. 50-70
Kyle Langford-Unlikely to play this year, so No. 50-60
Dustin Fletcher-No, turns 95 next week so likely to spend most of the season in a retirement home. 50-70
Travis Colyer- Maybe, only if he improves on last season and adds consistency 70-80
Jayden Laverde- Maybe, Unlikely to start in the team, but may come into it mid season, watch as a downgrade option. 50-70
Martin Gleeson- See Elliot Kavanagh
Lauchlan Dalgleish- See Martin Gleeson
Nick Kommer- No, Returning from Injury and not SC relevant. though could be a downgrade option later if options are dry. 50-60
Heath Hocking-No, Not SC relevant 60-80
Ben Howlett- See Heath Hocking
Will Hams-Wont play
James Gwilt-No, Will likely rotate with Fletcher for a third tall, not SC relevant though 60-70
Kurt Aylett- No, Unlikely to play. If he does 50-70
Orazio Fantasia- No, will only play a few games. 40-60
Ariel Steinberg-No, spud and is down the pecking order behind Gwilt and Fletcher. 40-60
Jake Long- Wont play
Shaun Mckernan-No, will only play if Bellchambers and Giles goes down. Not SC relevant 50-70
Conor Mckenna-Unlikely to play and if does unlikely to be SC relevant. 30-50

Essendon top 5 SC players
1. Goddard
2. Hibberd
3. Heppell
4. Watson
5. Bellchambers

Last edited:
I'm certainly not in the loop with the Bulldogs but i'm not sure about some of the averages and your top 5 picks.

Bontempelli to average 88-95 and he's the best selection at the Bulldogs? An average of 88-95 may not be good enough to be in the top 10 forwards this season, which means he may not even be a keeper. Priced at 420k, he needs to be a keeper otherwise you will burn a trade at some point.
Minson to average 105-115, so everyone should be picking him then? Priced at 93 and will average 105+, that's a great bargain... If he had such a debilitating back injury, why didn't they rest him during the season? He's only ever averaged over 100 once, with averages of 95 and 93 either side of that 114 average. With the change to the ruck scoring, all ruckmen are going to take a 5-10 point dip in their average. He's much more likely to average 85-92 than anywhere over 105.
Liberatore to average 110-120, if that's the case he should be in your starting team without any concerns. However, with Griffen gone he is target number 1 for all taggers and is likely to find it harder this season. Unless Boyd, Macrae and others can take a lot of pressure off Libba in the center, i can't see his average going higher than 110.
Bontempelli is priced at 79, so he's value if he can increase his average by 15+, which I stated I think he can/will do. 95 is enough to be a forward keeper. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go above that. You would of seen how good he is when he played North Melbourne last year (23 touches, 2.1 goals, 8 tackles for 139 points, playing mostly as a forward).

Players play through injury, that's what Minson did. He hardly trained last year, and if you watched him play he could hardly bend over. Does your club rest players when they can play through it (all be it not very well)? Players, especially senior players, when they have injuries that can't get worse, usually play through it. Eg Hawkins in 2013. He looks like he's over it now.

Libba 110-120, I don't think anyone would disagree that this is Libba's range? He played most of last year without Griffen and still bumped up his average. As I said I see the main concern with Griffen leaving is Libba will be more inconsistent, he'll have more 70-90 games compared to 100-110 games, but overall I expect him to still improve. As I said Macrae should be the #1 target for taggers IMO.

I look forward to your North Melbourne player previews..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bontempelli is priced at 79, so he's value if he can increase his average by 15+, which I stated I think he can/will do. 95 is enough to be a forward keeper. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go above that. You would of seen how good he is when he played North Melbourne last year (23 touches, 2.1 goals, 8 tackles for 139 points, playing mostly as a forward).

Players play through injury, that's what Minson did. He hardly trained last year, and if you watched him play he could hardly bend over. Does your club rest players when they can play through it (all be it not very well)? Players, especially senior players, when they have injuries that can't get worse, usually play through it. Eg Hawkins in 2013. He looks like he's over it now.

Libba 110-120, I don't think anyone would disagree that this is Libba's range? He played most of last year without Griffen and still bumped up his average. As I said I see the main concern with Griffen leaving is Libba will be more inconsistent, he'll have more 70-90 games compared to 100-110 games, but overall I expect him to still improve. As I said Macrae should be the #1 target for taggers IMO.

What do you mean Libba played most of the year without Griffen, there was only 3 games they didn't play together and Libba scored 79,65,101 in those games. Wasn't exactly setting the world alight without Griffen.

Libba will be the next tagged, because it has be proven that he can be tagged out of a game. He is a gun, no two ways about it, but this year he might find it tough as he gets use to bring targeted, but I could be wrong, if he handles it well he should continue at his current pace and average between 110 and 120, but he could have a dip as well, and many will shy away from taking a 600K punt.

With Bonts, it's always risky taking a second year player, teams are now aware of them and will target them more, it takes a lot for a second year player to improve because their bodies are still under developed and the opposition wont give them the same freedom they had in the first year. Bonts looked good in his first year but so have so many before him. he could be the exception that makes the rule, but buyer beware, second year blues is not just a myth.

Yeah priced at 79 and to average between 88-95, to me that's not a 15+ rise and is actually a 9+ rise. Every player would be value if they can increase their average by 15+. 95 might be good enough to be a forward keeper (depending on other players), but not 88. You can't just use the high point of the expected average. I remember a few Dogs playing well in both of their losses to North last year :p

I won't be doing any review of North Melbourne's players because i don't know enough about most of them.

What do you mean Libba played most of the year without Griffen, there was only 3 games they didn't play together and Libba scored 79,65,101 in those games. Wasn't exactly setting the world alight without Griffen.

Libba will be the next tagged, because it has be proven that he can be tagged out of a game. He is a gun, no two ways about it, but this year he might find it tough as he gets use to bring targeted, but I could be wrong, if he handles it well he should continue at his current pace and average between 110 and 120, but he could have a dip as well, and many will shy away from taking a 600K punt.

With Bonts, it's always risky taking a second year player, teams are now aware of them and will target them more, it takes a lot for a second year player to improve because their bodies are still under developed and the opposition wont give them the same freedom they had in the first year. Bonts looked good in his first year but so have so many before him. he could be the exception that makes the rule, but buyer beware, second year blues is not just a myth.
To be honest, I thought Griffen misses more games. My bad. Still doesn't change my position that Libba will be in the 110-120 area. That doesn't mean he's going to go 120, he could well maintain his current average, but I can't see him going backwards. For 600k though there are less risky selections, but I still think he would be a decent pick.

Bonts is massive high risk/reward. I guess I might be looking for something that isn't there because I didn't have the balls to go with Macrae or Bennell in their second years. But with an increased midfield time, bigger/stronger body (I'll post two comparison pictures below) and a shown ability to score big for a young player, I think it's a risk worth taking. I said this in another thread, but I almost always end up with a scrub as a last forward anyway (started with Pav this year :mad: ) so even if he only goes 85 average, I get an 85 average player who I like watching! Plenty of bias in that.

2014 pre-season Bonts:

dsVlpIl.jpg

2015 pre-season Bonts:

B3Gmafq.jpg

To be honest, I thought Griffen misses more games. My bad. Still doesn't change my position that Libba will be in the 110-120 area. That doesn't mean he's going to go 120, he could well maintain his current average, but I can't see him going backwards. For 600k though there are less risky selections, but I still think he would be a decent pick.

Bonts is massive high risk/reward. I guess I might be looking for something that isn't there because I didn't have the balls to go with Macrae or Bennell in their second years. But with an increased midfield time, bigger/stronger body (I'll post two comparison pictures below) and a shown ability to score big for a young player, I think it's a risk worth taking. I said this in another thread, but I almost always end up with a scrub as a last forward anyway (started with Pav this year :mad: ) so even if he only goes 85 average, I get an 85 average player who I like watching! Plenty of bias in that.

A lot of bias :p.

I want Josh Caddy to break out this year, and it is possible, showed enough last year to show he is capable, ticks a lot of the right boxes, but wanting it doesn't mean its going to happen. You can justify anything to yourself if you try, but you need to separate the bias.

You will enjoy watching him average 85 even if he isn't in your team, so why take the risk.

I'm not saying he cant improve, but there are safer options.

Chris Newman- 2014 Average- 65. Up for debate whether he's gone a year too long, probably borderline best 22 and probably will see another year of 65-70

Dylan Grimes-
2014 Average- 45. Can't see him being very supercoach relevant and probably fighting it out with Chaplin for the third tall down back 45-55

Brett Deledio-
2014 Average- 103. Lock him in boys, came back from injury and finished the second half of the season on fire averaging 115+, seems to have found a home at half forward 100-110

Dustin Martin-
2014 Average- 100. Would take lids over him but should be another good year where he should finish comfortably in the top 10 forwards. If he gets more midfield time could see him really break out but for now guessing he will continue to average 95-105

Brandon Ellis-
2014 Average- 97. Had a great season last year and should continue to improve only being 21. Not sure he will be a keeper until he develops his inside game a bit more. 95-105

Shaun Grigg-
2014 Average- 71. Not relevant, won't score terribly because of the amount of ball he gets but definitely not someone to consider. 70-75

Matt Dea-
2014 Average- 56. Not relevant, depth player would need to improve considerably to be best 22, and even then wouldn't pick him. 50-60

Jack Reiwoldt-
2014 Average- 84. Same old this year from Jack I would imagine but not a keeper 80-90

Trent Cotchin-
2014 Average- 102. Think he will get back to his 2012 levels at some stage, no indication it will be this year at this stage though. 100-110

Shane Edwards-
2014 Average- 85.The one Richmond player I would consider underrated by other club's supporters, important midfielder for us. Finished off the year averaging 105 over the last 5 but probably isnt going to be a keeper. 85-90

Jake Batchelor-
2014 Average- 48. Fringe player who doesn't score well and no sure thing to play. 50-55

David Astbury-
2014 Average- 69. Was just about winning our BnF before he hurt his knee, think he is a really exciting player for us this year but not so much for supercoach. Averaged a tick under 70 which surprised me a bit but i'll stick with that. 65-75

Ricky Petterd-
2014 Average- 81. Honest battler who despite his limitations actually played pretty well last year and deserves to be considered best 22 at the moment. Another who surprised me with his average, was 85 before a sub effected last round. Still not relevant however. 75-85

Bachar Houli-
2014 Average- 84. Solid player who is reliable, plays most weeks and is consistent. Probably won't average enough to be a keeper but if he has a good year who knows. 80-90

Chris Knights-
2014 Average- NA. Think a fit Knights has a lot to offer the tiges this year but no so much in supercoach. 65-75

Shaun Hampson-
2014 Average- 76. Really shouldn't get games unless Ivan is injured. Doesn't score too bad when he plays and is a good tap ruckman if nothing else so with the new rules who knows. 70-80

Alex Rance-
2014 Average- 89. Fantastic season last year and no reason why he can't build on it. Averaged 89 last year but went very much under the radar, can't remember seeing a team with him in it. An upgrade target if he continues to improve perhaps. 85-95

Ivan Maric-
2014 Average- 100. Good option but i'm still not sure on him. Scoring potential there is no worries there, averaged 100 in a year hounded by injury. The seemingly always looming threat of injury puts me off a bit and will probably be rested throughout the year regardless. If he plays the whole year will definitely score well enough. 100-110

Nathan Gordon-
2014 Average- 50. Did alright in his first year at the club, would be looking to establish himself as best 22 this year but doubt he will be relevant. 50-60

Ben Griffiths-
2014 Average- 67. Classic big guy with huge potential that hasn't really delivered. Definitely improved last year and had a decent enough year but would want to improve again. Can't see him being relevant. 65-75

Troy Chaplin-
2014 Average- 75. Same old from Troy this year, not really relevant. 70-80

Anthony Miles-
2014 Average- 100. What a find he was, can't see any reason why he wouldn't continue on his merry way. 100-105

Sam Lloyd-
2014 Average-60. Depth player who will be trying to break his way into the side. 60-70

Taylor Hunt-
2014 Average- 60. Could play games early on as a defensive midfielder which we don't really have, not a sc player though. 60-70

Ty Vickery-
2014 Average- 77. Ain't gonna be a keeper. 75-85

Reece Conca-
2014 Average- 78. Probably Richmond's best bet for a breakout year having a really good pre-season so far, but won't be enough for him to be a keeper. 80-95

Nick Vlastuin-
2014 Average- 68. Suffered from a bit of the second year blues so would be looking to bounce back after a good debut season, top 10 draft pick heading into his third year could be a bit interesting as a DEF/MID, but doubt he could be a keeper. 70-85

Corey Ellis-
First selection in this years draft, might play a couple of games but not very interested in him. 50-60

Kamdyn McIntosh-
Would be looking to break into the side this year after a couple of years developing so watch out for him if he gets a game. 55-65

Liam McBean-
Cult figure and kicks a lot of goals at VFL level, but body might not still be ready for the AFL. Should get a debut. 45-55

Ben Lennon-
2014 Average- 34. Definitely the value selection for the tiges after being used heavily as the sub in his first season. Hopefully will lock down a best 22 spot. 65-80

Matt McDonough-
2014 Average- 52. Burnt a lot of guys last year but was switched back to his favoured small forward role in the VFL in the second half of the season and excelled. Could get the small forward role and would be interesting to see how he goes, could go alright I think. 60-70

Connor Menadue-
Exciting prospect but very skinny, probably wont make much of an impact. 45-55

Steven Morris-
2014 Average- 52. Played injured all season so should have a better year this time round, still wouldn't expect much. 50-60

Nathan Drummond-
Year older than most of the draftees so is worth a look, terrific athlete so could play early. 50-60

Daniel Butler-
Small forward, can't see him getting too much game time. 45-55

Nathan Foley-
2014 Average- 70. Fringe player and not really relevant anymore. 70-75

Reece McKenzie-
Giant kid and already a fan-favourite, still pretty raw so wouldn't expect much straight up. 45-55

Todd Elton-
Playing as a key back, unlikely to figure unless injuries strike. 45-55

Matt Thomas-
2014 Average- 88. Averaged well but probably too slow, depth player. 80-85

Matt Arnot-
2014 Average- 52. Probably his last crack at making it so would be hoping to have a big year. 50-60

Jayden Short-
Unlikely to figure this year. 45-55

Jason Canstagna-
Ditto Short. 45-55

Ivan Soldo-
Maric's little cousin coming in from a basketball background. Won't play. 40-50

Kane Lambert-
Simply if he gets upgraded (there is room for an upgrade before round 1) and is named, which he has a fair chance of doing, get on. Superb VFL player who should have an instant impact. 70-80

My Top 5 Richmond Picks for 2015:
1. Brett Deledio
2. Ivan Maric
3. Dustin Martin
4. Kane Lambert (Pending upgrade)
5. Trent Cotchin

A lot of bias .

I want Josh Caddy to break out this year, and it is possible, showed enough last year to show he is capable, ticks a lot of the right boxes, but wanting it doesn't mean its going to happen. You can justify anything to yourself if you try, but you need to separate the bias.

You will enjoy watching him average 85 even if he isn't in your team, so why take the risk.

I'm not saying he cant improve, but there are safer options.
You might of talked me out of picking him :(

I said I'd do one for North. Obviously it's offseason so they're all champions smashing the time trials and training the house down, and I'll err towards the optimistic. Here goes...

The Premiums
Goldstein: under the old ruck scoring system I would have called him the best bang for buck premo ruck thanks to his durability and consistency over the last 3-4 years. Under the new system, remains to be seen whether any premo rucks justify the big coin, or whether gambles on injury-discounted subpremiums are a better deal. Still worth considering as a set and forget option.

Dal Santo: slid straight in to the North lineup without missing a beat but tailed off, only beating his average score once in the last 6 weeks. At his age possibly a concern for SC finals but should feature well in total points.

Harvey: I give up trying to predict his dropoff. In the mix of M/F you should consider and can go big (3 scores >150 in 2014). His consumption level of angry pills a possible concern.

Swallow: after a slow start there was a clear trend upward in his scores from about round 14 onwards. Could return to 110+ form, especially with Greenwood gone. I'd happily pick him if he fits into the structure. Watchlist at the very least.

Midpricers and possible bargains
Atley: maybe. While I’m not going to rehash the Atley To Midfield thing again, he definitely started moving up to the wing more as 2014 went on, and I don’t think they’ll be letting him get dragged down out of the way into the back pocket. Given the state of defenders this year, might be worth a midprice gamble and should improve on a 72 average.
SDT: Like Atley, mostly worth considering as a POD in a lean year for defenders. Was down on his 2013 AA year, and a good bet to bounce back.
Hansen: Not as confident as I would have been last year about him being a bargain defender, thanks mainly to injury worries with his hip. Capable of big games and an elite intercept marker, but doesn’t run up rebound HBF type stats.
Cunnington: look, I just love him. Averaged 26.5 possessions (15 contested) and 6.3 clearances in 3 finals. With another year’s maturity and a B&F under his belt, should have the confidence to be more damaging and consistent. I hope.
Gibson: outstanding runner. Led the league in total uncontested possessions and total effective possessions, but doesn’t have enough scoreboard impact or contested ball to be a SC stud. Ironically more likely to go missing in easy games when his running isn’t needed as much as an emergency outlet.
LMac: should improve on an ave of 66 but don’t expect +20 points of average in his 2nd year.

The Rookies
This year’s draft crop – Durdin, Nielson and Vickers-Willis, wouldn’t expect much more than a cup of coffee in the seniors if all goes to plan. However, Durdin's contract extension and http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/adaptable-durdin-told-to-anticipate-debut/ might give him more of a look than I thought.
Dumont: Should get his chance to play with Greenwood gone. If so he has a SC-friendly game.
Garner: 2012 1st-rounder, missed all of 2014 with a nasty hamstring tendon. I reckon the club will want to see as much of him as they can in the seniors. If he plays should moo nicely.

The Greenwood Factor
Greenwood’s departure leaves about 95 points a week to be picked up somewhere. Possible beneficiaries:
  • Swallow & Cunnington, with more stoppage stats to be had.
  • Trent Dumont & Ben Jacobs should both get a chance to press their claim for a regular midfield spot.
  • Bastinac struggled with an adjustment to his role with Dal’s arrival last year. Could he get another tweak in his role in his favour? Regardless, unlikely to launch into Premo territory.
So, Ziebell?
As a mid only it would obviously be a no, but he might be worth considering again as a M/F if you’re looking for value in the upper midpricers. In his favour:
  • can pull out big scoring games. His points/min rate is pretty good.
  • played most of last season with a shoulder injury which curtailed his output, making him something of an injury-discounted player this year.
  • thanks to his shoulder reco, has been working almost exclusively on conditioning so far this preseason. Will never have a huge tank, but is still youngish and should expect to improve incrementally.
  • seemed to settle into a genuine M/F role in the back half of the season, so should hit the scoreboard more consistently than 0.9 goals/game this year. He’s a great set shot and contested mark for his size.
The case against:
  • still too many low scoring games. Like, 6 games of 61 or less in 2014. Yuck.
  • still not enough TOG%, though resting forward more rather than on the bench should help.
  • LOL Norf
I would put him as “gutsy POD for the budget conscious” rather than a must-have M/F. Needs to cut out the low scores and kick a couple of goals a game to be worth it.

No Wait, Hear Me Out!
Brad McKenzie: ranged from acceptable to dire in 2014, but has talent and it’s a make or break year for him. As a D/M might be good value if he gets a run of games.
Shaun Higgins: best games last year were pretty good, and he’s fitting in well. D/F flexibility could be interesting.

On second thought, nah
A couple of guys you might think look good, but nah.
Sam Wright: reborn as a nifty dual-sided HBF in the back half of 2014. North have lots of HB rebounding options, so he’s unlikely to rack up lots of cheap rebounds as the first option.
Jamie Macmillan: his role is basically not to get the ball. Utility defender/defensive general type.

The Rest
Currie: backup ruck
Firrito: is Michael Firrito
Thomas: forward pocket
Adams: looks to be on the decline
Grima: injury prone KPD
Harper: could be anything if he gets his head right. IF.
Tarrant: just hope he gets back on the field.
Petrie, Waite: tandem KPFs will take turns as decoy.
Black: needs to bounce back, interrupted preseason with shoulder surgery
Wood: would be attractive at rookie prices but one game bumped him up to $244K.
Tippett: depth KPD
Daw: depth KPF
Turner, Brown: would have been attractive at rookie prices but played too much and drove up their prices.
Mullett: could be poised for a breakout but was fringe best 22 by the end of 2014 and there’s a lot of competition for running HBF/wing roles.
McMahon: depth

The Rookies
Nahas, Preuss, Fordham, Warren, Wallace
same as rookies everywhere. If they're elevated it'll be to play and they'll be potential downgrade targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back