Your all time aussie test squad (of 18)

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
We are picking a squad of 18 to play 'test' cricket all around the world in all types of conditions.

From the players you have seen, who are you taking ?

Obviously our teams will be a little different depending on how long we have been watching the game etc .

For your squad you must select:

3 openers
5 middle order bats
2 wicket keepers
2 spinners
5 quicks
1 player of your own choice/wildcard (eg. if you want an extra quick or allrounder or just a fave player to take on tour etc)

Pick your first XI and the 7 reserves.

My team dates back to players I've seen since 1979.

M.Hayden
D.Warner
R.Ponting
S.Smith
G.Chappell
A.Border
A.Gilchrist
S.Warne
P.Cummins
D.Lillee
G.McGrath

M.Hussey (back up opener - controversial I know, but could also play as a back up middle order batsman if required)
S.Waugh (back up middle order batsman)
I.Healy (back up wicket keeper)
N.Lyon (back up spinner)
J.Gillespie (back up quick)
M.Johnson (back up quick - left arm variety)
S.Watson (wildcard selection - could play as a back up opening batsmen or a #6 allrounder role)

End of the day, my reserves ain't playing unless conditions dictate or there is an injury.
I think most bases are covered for all conditions, but there are always 1 or 2 others I'd like to sneak in.

Obviously some good players have missed the cut but I won't steal anyone's thunder.

Knock yourselves out.

My squad would be pretty much identical except I'll bring in Simon Katich as my back up opener to replace Hussey, MacGill over Lyon as second spinner and Bruce Reid over Johnson as a back up quick. My wildcard is Merv Hughes for team morale on a long tour

I’m obviously more of a latecomer when it comes to watching cricket (that I remember, anyway). Clarke is easily the best on-field captain I’ve watched. I can’t overlook Harris in any conditions and I’d have Johnson pip Cummins for his X factor, left arm variety and batting prowess.

Matthew Hayden
Justin Langer
Ricky Ponting
Steve Smith
Michael Clarke (c)
Mike Hussey
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Shane Warne (vc)
Mitchell Johnson
Ryan Harris
Glenn McGrath
———
12th - Andrew Symonds (wildcard/fielding)

David Warner
Damien Martyn
Brad Haddin
Stuart MacGill
Brett Lee
Pat Cummins

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
We are picking a squad of 18 to play 'test' cricket all around the world in all types of conditions.

From the players you have seen, who are you taking ?

Obviously our teams will be a little different depending on how long we have been watching the game etc .

For your squad you must select:

3 openers
5 middle order bats
2 wicket keepers
2 spinners
5 quicks
1 player of your own choice/wildcard (eg. if you want an extra quick or allrounder or just a fave player to take on tour etc)

Pick your first XI and the 7 reserves.

My team dates back to players I've seen since 1979.

M.Hayden
D.Warner
R.Ponting
S.Smith
G.Chappell
A.Border
A.Gilchrist
S.Warne
P.Cummins
D.Lillee
G.McGrath

M.Hussey (back up opener - controversial I know, but could also play as a back up middle order batsman if required)
S.Waugh (back up middle order batsman)
I.Healy (back up wicket keeper)
N.Lyon (back up spinner)
J.Gillespie (back up quick)
M.Johnson (back up quick - left arm variety)
S.Watson (wildcard selection - could play as a back up opening batsmen or a #6 allrounder role)

End of the day, my reserves ain't playing unless conditions dictate or there is an injury.
I think most bases are covered for all conditions, but there are always 1 or 2 others I'd like to sneak in.

Obviously some good players have missed the cut but I won't steal anyone's thunder.

Knock yourselves out.
Warner seriously does not belong there

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
I’m obviously more of a latecomer when it comes to watching cricket (that I remember, anyway). Clarke is easily the best on-field captain I’ve watched. I can’t overlook Harris in any conditions and I’d have Johnson pip Cummins for his X factor, left arm variety and batting prowess.

Matthew Hayden
Justin Langer
Ricky Ponting
Steve Smith
Michael Clarke (c)
Mike Hussey
Adam Gilchrist (+)
Shane Warne (vc)
Mitchell Johnson
Ryan Harris
Glenn McGrath
———
12th - Andrew Symonds (wildcard/fielding)

David Warner
Damien Martyn
Brad Haddin
Stuart MacGill
Brett Lee
Pat Cummins

i suspected the likes of clarke, martyn & langer to get a mention and rightly so, especially from the guys who didn't see chappell, border & waugh.

love that harris got a mention.

love the special fielding mention of symonds and i nearly squeezed him in ahead of watto myself.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Cant improve on that. Tho hard to keep Michael Clarke out of that lineup. Also we can do better than Warner. What a golden team that is.

Steve Waugh is the biggest omission - most consistent match winner at peak.
Warner not a bad option with only Langer & Taylor in picture

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Steve Waugh is the biggest omission - most consistent match winner at peak.
Warner not a bad option with only Langer & Taylor in picture

yeah biggest dilemma for me was border or s.waugh - happy to have either bat @ 6.
if i didn't include current players in this , such as smith, then both border and waugh would have been in the XI.

Trojan90

All Australian
May 7, 2012
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Team since 1996

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Smith
Clarke
S.Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Cummins
Johnson
McGrath

- Rogers (Warner honestly good enough to be there but picked Rogers as b/u because I like him and its my team. Better bloke to have on tour too and better option to play overseas. Katich unlucky)
- Lyon (MacGill unlucky).
- Harris (b/u Cummins/McGrath as the reliable quick.)
- Lee (Johnson ahead of Lee as the x-factor quick due to left arm POD.)
- Hussey (Had Hussey at 6 but couldn't keep Waugh out. 3/4/5 are locks.)
- Healy (best keeper)
- Martyn (My fave player as a kid)

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Team since 1996

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Smith
Clarke
S.Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Cummins
Johnson
McGrath

- Rogers (Warner honestly good enough to be there but picked Rogers as b/u because I like him and its my team. Better bloke to have on tour too and better option to play overseas. Katich unlucky)
- Lyon (MacGill unlucky).
- Harris (b/u Cummins/McGrath as the reliable quick.)
- Lee (Johnson ahead of Lee as the x-factor quick due to left arm POD.)
- Hussey (Had Hussey at 6 but couldn't keep Waugh out. 3/4/5 are locks.)
- Healy (best keeper)
- Martyn (My fave player as a kid)

can't argue with that side.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To be reviewed if I can be bothered. I'm sure I've missed an opener, but can't think who. No, not Quiney.

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
G Chappell
Border (c)
S Waugh (vc)
Gilchrist
Warne
Lillee
McGrath
Reid

The only lack is genuine pace, I didn't see Lillee at that stage of his career.
Waugh, Border and Chappell can all bowl a few relief overs; Waugh more than that.

Warner - replaces Langer at home
Smith
Martyn - tempted to put in Tim May for someone who turns it the other way, and had a good partnership with Warne to help edge out Lyon
Healy - easily the best keeper, and I would just about put him in over Gilchrist despite the latter's clear batting advantage
Cummins
Gillespie
MacGill

No left-armer as variety for when Reid gets injured (about two days into each match) but Johnson and Starc are both far too hot and cold for a team such as this.

edit: Alderman ....... does he come in, if so for which of Gillespie or Cummins?

Last edited:
Going back to 1977 my team would be:
M. Hayden
J. Langer
A. Border
R. Ponting
G. Chappell
S. Smith
A. Gilchrist
S. Warne
D. Lillee
J. Thomson
G. McGrath

D. Boon (back up Opener)
S. Waugh (back up Middle Order)
B. Haddin (back up Wicket Keeper)
N. Lyon (back up Spinner)
M. Johnson (back up Pace 1)
P. Cummins (back up Pace 2)
M. Bevan (Wildcard. I played junior cricket with him back in the late 80's)

Last edited:

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'll go since the 70's. If we go pre 1970s, guys like Miller, Bradman & Morris would be in, and maybe Alan Davidson.

1. D.Warner
2. M.Hayden
3. R.Ponting [C]
4. S.Smith
5. A.Border
6. S.Waugh
7. A.Gilchrist
8. P.Cummins
9. S.Warne
10. D.Lillee
11.G.McGrath

- J.Langer
- G.Chappell
- B.Haddin
- R.Harris
- M.Johnson
- J.THompson
- N.Lyon

Would personally rather bowler versatility, hence having 4 bowlers and only 2 batsmen from players 12-18

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Going back to 1977 my team would be:
M. Hayden
J. Langer
A. Border
R. Ponting
G. Chappell
S. Smith
A. Gilchrist
S. Warne
D. Lillee
J. Thomson
G. McGrath

D. Boon (back up Opener)
S. Waugh (back up Middle Order)
B. Haddin (back up Wicket Keeper)
N. Lyon (back up Spinner)
M. Johnson (back up Pace #1)
P. Cummins (back up Pace #2)
M. Bevan (Wildcard. I played junior cricket with him back in the late 80's)

a strong a squad as any so far.

surprised to see border batting @ 3 ahead of ponting , although he did play a summer batting @3. the top 7 regardless is as strong as you can get.

loving the boonie nomination and he could also cover in the middle order if needed.

haddin more than a back up keeper, although surprised healy or marsh didn't get a gig ahead of him.

great wildcard in bevan and while his test record wasn't great, his first class record was and superstar in the odi format too.

a strong a squad as any so far.

surprised to see border batting @ 3 ahead of ponting , although he did play a summer batting @3. the top 7 regardless is as strong as you can get.

loving the boonie nomination and he could also cover in the middle order if needed.

haddin more than a back up keeper, although surprised healy or marsh didn't get a gig ahead of him.

great wildcard in bevan and while his test record wasn't great, his first class record was and superstar in the odi format too.
Any of either Border, Ponting or Chappell, and I suppose Smith as well although he chooses not to, could play at 3 but I put him there for no other reason than he is my favourite all time player.:) Border was primarily a 4, but he did bat at 3 for 36 innings and his average was a little below 50 which isn't too bad compared to his overall average.

Boon is a legend and while I may have been the only person to have selected him I would hope others at least considered him, not only was he a great batsmen, but he is probably the finest close in fielder I've seen. And as you stated could bat at 3, 4 or 5 as well.

Haddin made his domestic debut for the ACT Comets when they were part of the one-day competition, before playing for NSW, so I thought my team needed an extra local. :) As great as Healy and Marsh were, I don't think Haddin was too far behind them, perhaps didn't get the opportunities early on, but still had a very successful international career.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Here's my all-time Australian squad of 18

Bob Simpson
Victor Trumper
Donald Bradman*
Greg Chappell
Ricky Ponting
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist+
Ray Lindwall
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath

Matthew Hayden
Allan Border
Steve Smith
Stan McCabe
Bert Oldfield+
Alan Davidson
Pat Cummins
Bill O'Reilly

This squad could change on a dime tbh. Fair few players could step into this squad without much argument from me.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Here's my all-time Australian squad of 18

Bob Simpson
Victor Trumper
Donald Bradman*
Greg Chappell
Ricky Ponting
Keith Miller
Adam Gilchrist+
Ray Lindwall
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath

Matthew Hayden
Allan Border
Steve Smith
Stan McCabe
Bert Oldfield+
Alan Davidson
Pat Cummins
Bill O'Reilly

This squad could change on a dime tbh. Fair few players could step into this squad without much argument from me.

love the squad - but you named 19 :)

you saw o'reilly and trumper play ?

or was this just an all time thing ?

either way - what bench strength !!!!!!

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
love the squad - but you named 19 :)

you saw o'reilly and trumper play ?

or was this just an all time thing ?

either way - what bench strength !!!!!!
Figured I'd give it a go since we hadn't had anyone select a side pre-70's as of yet. If I were to select a squad of players I've seen it wouldn't look all that different to ones that have already been posted. Funny thing is there's much, much more bench strength than that.

Oops. Guess I'll have to sub out Stan McCabe, sadly.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Figured I'd give it a go since we hadn't had anyone select a side pre-70's as of yet. If I were to select a squad of players I've seen it wouldn't look all that different to ones that have already been posted. Funny thing is there's much, much more bench strength than that.

Oops. Guess I'll have to sub out Stan McCabe, sadly.

yeah ya right - plenty of bench strength if you can't make room for the likes of morris, lawry, harvey, grout, grimmett, benaud.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
yeah ya right - plenty of bench strength if you can't make room for the likes of morris, lawry, harvey, grout, grimmett, benaud.
In all honesty you could sub in any of those guys & the squad would still be just as strong. If I may flesh this exercise out further...

Australian pre-war XI

Bill Ponsford
Victor Trumper
Donald Bradman*
Archie Jackson
Stan McCabe
Charles Macartney
Jack Gregory
Bert Oldfield+
Clarrie Grimmett
Bill O'Reilly
Fred Spofforth

Unlucky: Murdoch, Collins, Bardsley, Noble, Armstrong, Trumble, Blackham, Turner, Mailey, Ironmonger, McDonald

Australian post war-WSC XI

Arthur Morris
Bob Simpson
Neil Harvey
Greg Chappell
Ian Chappell
Keith Miller
Richie Benaud*
Alan Davidson
Ray Lindwall
Don Tallon+
Dennis Lillee

Unlucky: McDonald, Lawry, O'Neill, Redpath, Hassett, Walters, Loxton, Grout, Thomson, McKenzie, Iverson, Walker

Australian post-WSC - present

Justin Langer
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Steve Smith
Allan Border*
Steve Waugh
Adam Gilchrist+
Pat Cummins
Shane Warne
Jason Gillespie
Glenn McGrath

Unlucky: Katich, Taylor, Warner, Slater, Boon, Jones, Martyn, Clarke, M Waugh, Hussey, Lehmann, Watson, Symonds, Haddin, Healy, Johnson, Starc, Reiffel, B Lee, Hazlewood, Harris, Hughes, Pattinson, McDermott, Lawson, Alderman, R Hogg, MacGill, Reid, Clark, Lyon, Fleming

Last edited:

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
then don't include him in your squad.

hangon, where is your squad :)
You simply can not pick Warner as he only ever makes easy runs and is terrible overseas

Off the top of my head
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Smith
Waugh
Clarke
Gilly
Warne
Johnson
Cummins
McGrath

reserves
Katich underrated batsmen strong argument could be made for Taylor I just didn’t see too much of him
Hussey and M Waugh for the middle order
Watto as an all round option.
Hads as the keeper as I can’t remember too much of Healy
Dizzy and Harris as the reserve quicks and McGill as the spinner. Stiff on Lyon but McGill would have taken more wickets 208 from 44 tests at 29 as opposed to 399 at 32 from 100 tests.

Mine is basically the 21st century.

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Smith
Clarke (c)
Hussey
Gilchrist (+)
Johnson
Lee
Warne
McGrath

Katich, Watson, Martyn, Paine
Clark, Hazlewood, Lyon

But since "all time" is in the title, here is probably that one:

Simpson
Lawry
Bradman
Ponting
Border
Waugh
Gilchrist (+)
Miller
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Hayden, Chappell, Smith, Healy
Davidson, Thomson, Grimmett

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Unlucky: Katich, Taylor, Warner, Slater, Boon, Jones, Martyn, Clarke, M Waugh, Hussey, Lehmann, Watson, Symonds, Haddin, Healy, Johnson, Starc, Reiffel, B Lee, Hazlewood, Harris, Hughes, Pattinson, McDermott, Lawson, Alderman, R Hogg, MacGill, Reid, Clark, Lyon, Fleming

k.hughes
g.matthews
c.miller

worth honorable mentions ?

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Mine is basically the 21st century.

Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Smith
Clarke (c)
Hussey
Gilchrist (+)
Johnson
Lee
Warne
McGrath

Katich, Watson, Martyn, Paine
Clark, Hazlewood, Lyon
Geez, Cummins is stiff to not make this squad.

Back