Your all time aussie test squad (of 18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty much the 07 World Cup side that starting XI.

Does Warne deserve to be in front of Hogg on a purely post 2000 basis? Hoggy has a better average and strike rate post 2000, whilst is only 0.1 behind on economy.
It's a debate for sure. But realistically, Symonds probably bowls offies in this side given Watson is there so I went with one going away from the right hander instead.

I'd probably have Maxy instead of Warner now actually. Watson can open if something happens to Gilly/Hayden and Hussey would be the back up keeper you'd think

Post 2000 ODI 15:

Gilchrist (+)
Hayden
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
Watson
Lee
Warne
Bracken
McGrath

Smith
Warner
Hogg
Starc

Mine goes back to the 80's

Gilchrist (+)
Hayden
Ponting (C)
Jones
Symonds
Bevan
S Waugh
Lee
Starc
Warne
McGrath

Warner
Smith
Hogg
McDermott

Sure, why not :)

Pre 1972:

OpenersMiddle-OrderWicket-KeepersQuicksSpinners
R. SimpsonD. BradmanWAS. OldfieldK. MillerB. O'Reilly
W. PonsfordV. TrumperATW. GroutR. LindwallH. Trumble
W. LawryAL. HassettA. DavidsonC. Grimmett
RN. HarveyC. Turner
S. McCabeF. Spofforth

Opening pair were pretty clear picks, and for the third opener I've picked Lawry over Woodfull to provide a left-handed option. Morris also in the discussion.

Not too many issues picking the middle-order 5. I've left out Dougie Walters, who could have been picked just on his pre-72 form, but given it's really about "who I didn't see" then he misses out. Sure, I saw Simpson when he made his comeback, and I've picked him, but his comeback wasn't as an opener, so well, my rules :) Norm O'Neill, Bob Cowper, Charlie Macartney worth consideration too.

Keepers were far more difficult to decide. Effectively comes down to 7 players that spanned the period from the start of test cricket in 1877 till 1966. Blackham, Kelly, Carter, Oldfield, Tallon, Langley and Grout. Towards the end of that period and up until my cutoff at 1972, there were also the likes of Jarman, Taber and a young Rod Marsh. No-one else in that 95 year period played 10 or more matches. Not one century amongst keepers over that period, and none that averaged over 25 with the bat (playing more than 5 matches - not counting Marsh). In the end I've plumped for Bert Oldfield, possibly the best batsman of the group of seven, and perhaps the best up to the stumps; and Wally Grout, who racked up nearly twice the amount of dismissals as any other candidate, and perhaps the best all-round keeper of the lot. But it's a hard one to judge.

Pretty happy with the selection of the quicks, don't really feel there's anyone unlucky to miss out on a spot here. On reflection, perhaps I should have considered Charlie Turner for a spot in my "all-time" list. His record is impeccable, albeit on uncovered pitches.

Again I've gone for three spinners (using up the x-factor slot). Grimmett was unlucky to miss the all-time list, and earns his spot here.

If I was to leave out a spinner and look for a pure X-factor player, perhaps Jack Ryder would earn a spot. He averaged over 50 with the bat, and was a handy bowler. By all accounts if WWI hadn't come along at the wrong time, he may well have played test cricket as a bowler. Perhaps second to only Miller as an all-rounder.

Trumper was an opener I think. Averaged 39 on uncovered pitches. Was one hell of a player apparently.

"No one," wrote Plum Warner, "ever played so naturally. Batting seemed just part of himself, and he was as modest as he was magnificent."

CB Fry was not much behind his wife in admiration of the man. He observed in the 1930s: “No matter how many runs Bradman makes, Vic Trumper s name comes up time and again, and his great deeds are discussed. He took a hold on the hearts and minds of the people in England as no other batsman has done.”

In the fourth Test match at Old Trafford, Australian captain Joe Darling courageously opted to bat on a soft wicket after rain, and Archie MacLaren told his formidable bowlers Stanley Jackson, Rhodes, Bill Lockwood, Fred Tate and Len Braund, to concentrate on keeping Trumper quiet, and the match would be theirs.

Cardus, just 12 year old when he saw the innings, wrote: “His cricket burns in my memory with the glow and fiery hazard of the actual occasion, the wonderful and all-consuming ignition. He was the most gallant and handsome batsman of them all.”

Trumper got his century before lunch on the first morning, in 115 minutes, the first batsman to achieve the feat. Australia won the heart stopping thriller by 3 runs.

Trumper was an opener I think. Averaged 39 on uncovered pitches. Was one hell of a player apparently.

"No one," wrote Plum Warner, "ever played so naturally. Batting seemed just part of himself, and he was as modest as he was magnificent."

CB Fry was not much behind his wife in admiration of the man. He observed in the 1930s: “No matter how many runs Bradman makes, Vic Trumper s name comes up time and again, and his great deeds are discussed. He took a hold on the hearts and minds of the people in England as no other batsman has done.”

In the fourth Test match at Old Trafford, Australian captain Joe Darling courageously opted to bat on a soft wicket after rain, and Archie MacLaren told his formidable bowlers Stanley Jackson, Rhodes, Bill Lockwood, Fred Tate and Len Braund, to concentrate on keeping Trumper quiet, and the match would be theirs.

Cardus, just 12 year old when he saw the innings, wrote: “His cricket burns in my memory with the glow and fiery hazard of the actual occasion, the wonderful and all-consuming ignition. He was the most gallant and handsome batsman of them all.”

Trumper got his century before lunch on the first morning, in 115 minutes, the first batsman to achieve the feat. Australia won the heart stopping thriller by 3 runs.
Until Bradman came along, every batsman was compared against Trumper - and even Bradman was labeled a "the next Victor Trumper".

He opened in 52 of his 89 test innings, so yes, perhaps more an opener, but could reasonably be considered for either position. Averaged about 33 as an opener but 48 when not opening, so that's why I've picked him there. Excelled at 5 & 6.

Test IX

1. M.Hayden
2. D.Bradman (c)
3. R.Ponting
4. S.Smith
5. G.Chappell
6. S.Waugh
7. A.Gilchrist (wk)
8. P.Cummins
9. S.Warne
10. D.Lillie
11. G.McGrath

Reserves,
12. M.Hussey 13. N.Harvey 14. B.Haddin
15. C.Grimmett 16. R.Lindwall

One Day IX

1. M.Hayden
2. A.Gilchrist (wk)
3. D.Warner
4. R.Ponting (c)
5. M.Hussey
6. M.Bevan
7. S.Watson
8. M.Starc
9. S.Warne
10. D.Lillie
11. G.Mcgrath

Reserves,
12. S.Smith 13. A.Symonds 14. B.Haddin
15. B.Lee 16. M.Johnson

Last edited:
He has a terrible overseas record and never stands up under pressure

Well to be honest my opening pair would be Boon and Taylor, I don't know what it is about Hayden but I always have seen him as a flat track bully and to be honest most Batsman from the last 25 years are flat track bullies. They know of nothing different.
The three of them have a great record but they are just not my openers.
You have made a good point re Warner, the opening spots really had me as I have never rated our openers highly or for some reason acknowledged them enough.

Well to be honest my opening pair would be Boon and Taylor, I don't know what it is about Hayden but I always have seen him as a flat track bully and to be honest most Batsman from the last 25 years are flat track bullies. They know of nothing different.
The three of them have a great record but they are just not my openers.
You have made a good point re Warner, the opening spots really had me as I have never rated our openers highly or for some reason acknowledged them enough.
How many openers play 100 tests for an average of 50? Also played key roles for us in the subcontinent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mine goes back to 1975

Warner
Taylor
G.Chappell
Ponting
S.Smith
S.Waugh
Gilchrist
Warne
Lillee
Thomson
Mcgrath

Reserves
Boon
Border
S.Smith
Mcgill
Cummins
R.Marsh
M.Johnson

IMG_4846.JPG

Steve Barry Smith as a reserve is ambitious

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Thanks, Taylor stands out for most innings and a great avg. Rogers surprised me, 49avg in 18 innings. Great stuff. My openers in England would probably be these two batsmen.
But Rogers had the advantage of 10 plus season of county cricket under his belt before he played tests there

Test XI since ~1998:

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Smith
S. Waugh (c)
Hussey
Gilchrist
Warne
Cummins
Harris
McGrath

Taylor
Clarke
M. Waugh
Healey
Lyon
Johnson
Funky Miller

Imo Hayden, Ponting, Smith, Gilchrist, Warne and McGrath pick themselves of those I've seen play. Think Taylor was the best captain in the squad but Langer's batting record is too far superior, and Warner doesn't come into consideration because this team occasionally has to play overseas. Was torn between Clarke and Hussey but Hussey played 6 far more often and can't shift anyone else in the top order down that low.

From the bowlers, I think Cummins has now done enough to be considered clearly better than Gillespie, Lee and any other contenders, and I know he barely had a career due to injury but imo Ryan Harris is the best Australian quick I've ever seen when healthy. If I could select late career Johnson, he'd be in ahead of Cummins, but his overall record isn't quite good enough.

Funky Miller x factor because he's my all time favourite player and we don't have a recent test all rounder good enough to get close to this team on merit.

We are picking a squad of 18 to play 'test' cricket all around the world in all types of conditions.

From the players you have seen, who are you taking ?

Obviously our teams will be a little different depending on how long we have been watching the game etc .

For your squad you must select:

3 openers
5 middle order bats
2 wicket keepers
2 spinners
5 quicks
1 player of your own choice/wildcard (eg. if you want an extra quick or allrounder or just a fave player to take on tour etc)

Pick your first XI and the 7 reserves.

My team dates back to players I've seen since 1979.

M.Hayden
D.Warner
R.Ponting
S.Smith
G.Chappell
A.Border
A.Gilchrist
S.Warne
P.Cummins
D.Lillee
G.McGrath

M.Hussey (back up opener - controversial I know, but could also play as a back up middle order batsman if required)
S.Waugh (back up middle order batsman)
I.Healy (back up wicket keeper)
N.Lyon (back up spinner)
J.Gillespie (back up quick)
M.Johnson (back up quick - left arm variety)
S.Watson (wildcard selection - could play as a back up opening batsmen or a #6 allrounder role)

End of the day, my reserves ain't playing unless conditions dictate or there is an injury.
I think most bases are covered for all conditions, but there are always 1 or 2 others I'd like to sneak in.

Obviously some good players have missed the cut but I won't steal anyone's thunder.

Knock yourselves out.

Openers :
J. Langer
M. Hayden
M. Taylor

Middle Order :
G. Chappell
R. Ponting
M. Waugh
S. Smith
M. Hussey

Wicket Keepers
A. Gilchrist
R. Marsh

Spinners
S. Warne
S. McGill

Quicks
D. Lillee
G. McGrath
B. Reid
J. Thompson
P. Cummins

WildCard
Mick Malone, played one test in 1977, averaged 46 with the bat and 12.8 with the ball. In favourable conditions he could make that ball talk.

M. Taylor
J. Langer
R. Ponting
M. Waugh
G. Chappell
S. Smith
A. Gilchrist
S. Warne
P. Cummins
D. Lillee
B. Reid

No way Dave Warner would get in over Langer or Hayden
I've made some great calls over the years. One of my best was before Hayden's first tour of India. My considered opinion was that he was a slogger that wouldn't score a run in India, or words to that effect.

He absolutely smashed it.

I also said Taylor was a fat dud ahead of the 89 ashes tour.

I've made some great calls over the years. One of my best was before Hayden's first tour of India. My considered opinion was that he was a slogger that wouldn't score a run in India, or words to that effect.

He absolutely smashed it.

I also said Taylor was a fat dud ahead of the 89 ashes tour.
Yeah well admittedly he wasn’t known as a good player of spin when he left for India

That I've seen:

Taylor (c)
Slater
Ponting
Smith
Border
M.Waugh
Gilchrist
Johnson
Warne
Lillee
McGrath