Fat Red

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2001
Carlton
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I said in a thread on the main board that Kouta would make my ToC, so I'm backing up here and seeing what others think. It's updated from the official one, but also has changes I would have made at the time (Trevor Keogh...pffft.)

Official

B: Comben Silvagni Southby

HB: James Deacon Doull

C: Crane Williams Bradley

HF: Johnston Kernahan Jesaulenko

F: Hands Vallence Ashman

R: Nicholls Silvagni Gallagher

IC: Walls Fitzpatrick Keogh Hunter

Copout Emergencies: Kerr Chitty Clover McGregor

Fat Red's team

B: Comben Silvagni Hunter

HB: James Deacon Doull

C: Koutoufides Williams Bradley

HF: Johnston Kernahan Jesaulenko

F: Hands Vallence Walls

R: Nicholls Ratten Ashman

IC: Southby Fitzpatrick McKay Clover

Very tough Fat Red especially to judge those you haven't seen. Some of those players I have to trust the judgement of the club selectors and then it isn't really 'my' team of the century.

Wiil give it some thought and research it.

Originally posted by The Old Dark Navy's
Very tough Fat Red especially to judge those you haven't seen. Some of those players I have to trust the judgement of the club selectors and then it isn't really 'my' team of the century.

Wiil give it some thought and research it.

True, I am relying on my father and grandfather for much of this.

Originally posted by Blues2001
Though I will say that I would have Ashman as rover and Ratten on the bench if I were doing a Carlton all time team - which I am not;)

Good point...note changes

ratten??

Red - I agree Rats is a great player but I doubt that he's good enough to play back pocket AND ruck rover!!

My team would be:

Harmes Southby D. McKay

James Silvagni Doull

Crane Williams Bradley

Johnston Walls Jesaulenko

F: Hands Kernahan Ashman

IC: Fitzpatrick Hunter Vallence Ratten

Em: Comben Deacon Keogh Chitty

On pure ability Kouta should be in the side but probably needs at least another 2000 to get in.
SOS at CHB? I've always thought he sacrificed a lot of his natural ability to become a great FB. His agility and natural attacking flair could have made him an even better (and certainly more spectacular) CHB.

Rats???

Red - I agree Rats is a great player but I doubt that he's good enough to play back pocket AND ruck rover!!

My team would be:

Harmes Southby D. McKay

James Silvagni Doull

Crane Williams Bradley

On pure ability Kouta should be in the side but probably needs at least another 2000 to get in.
SOS at CHB? I've always thought he sacrificed a lot of his natural ability to become a great FB. His agility and natural attacking flair could have made him an even better (and certainly more spectacular) CHB.

Re: Rats???

Originally posted by JavaBlue

My team would be:

Harmes Southby D. McKay

James Silvagni Doull

Crane Williams Bradley

Great side JavaBlue, and I have no problem with Silvagni at CHB.

However (and this is not from having seen him play myself) I'm surprised you have Gallagher at first rover ahead of Ashman (although you're obviously in good company with the ToC selectors.)

Re: Rats???

Originally posted by JavaBlue

My team would be:

Harmes Southby D. McKay

James Silvagni Doull

Crane Williams Bradley

Gags

Yes, Red - the Ashman for Gags swap was considered but for some reason didn't eventuate. I imagine roving for Big Nick would have helped Gags' reputation a lot.

All time favourite team (not necessarily best team)

R. Austin S. Silvagni G. Southby
K. Hunter D. McKay B. Doull
C Bradley G. Williams D. Rhys-Jones
W. Johnston S.Kernahan P.Bosustow
M. Fitzpatrick A. Jesaulenko R. Ashman

Rucks
J. Nicholls
B. Armstrong
J. Buckley

Interchange
A. McKay
B. Crosswell
S. Camporeale
Sergio Silvagni

With apologies to John James, Bruce Comben, Bryan Quirk and Syd Jackson and Trevor Keogh.

I couldn't select anyone at fullback ahead of SOS and Southby would be the tall back pocket with Austin the small back pocket. Austin proved his worth time and again and was capable of negating the best rover of his time (Matthews). Hunter and Doull the best half back flanks I have seen at the Blues including John James and Andrew McKay. It was a choice between Hunter and James and I opted for Hunter who could've played a lot longer except for that incident at Princes Park with Matthews.
McKay was the best CHB I have seen in watching the Blues for many years. The centre line of Badley Williams was an easy choice. The selection of Rhys-Jones on a wing ahead of Crane Quirk Robertson Camporeale was because I thought Rhys was the best at creating time and space. He was also a very good overhead mark whether in a pack or on the run. He could also pinch hit down forward or up back.

The half forward line of Johnston Kernahan and Bosustow is match winning with Buzz and the Dominator pushing out Keogh Jackson. The rucks of Fitzpatrick and Nicholls with ruckrovers Johnston Armstrong Silvagni Crosswell and roving of Buckley Ashman Camporeale. This allows McKay to be the utility playing down back up forward on ball or tagging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by amazonstud
All time favourite team (not necessarily best team)

I understand this is what you're doing but

With apologies to John James, Bruce Comben, Bryan Quirk and Syd Jackson and Trevor Keogh.

You couldn't even stretch Brett Ratten to an apology?

At this stage I couldn't rate Ratts ahead of Diesel, Johnston, Keogh etc. But that's just my personal opinion. I think that Jonston Diesel etc were more likely to dominate a game but also kick a swag of goals with inspirational play and dashes down forward. Ratts has been forced into the in and under role because of our team style and stays mainly around the centre to half back lines. He has been learning how to play on a forward flank, forward pocket but hasn't blossomed yet. Hopefully this year he will develop that level of his game further.

There were heaps of players that I left out but all of these had that something special about them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back