Your ancestors? Who were they and what are their stories?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm interested in reading the stories of the ancestors of posters and their minor or major impact on history or a country etc. Were they part of the first fleet? Did they participate in any major events or battles etc. Please feel free to share the journey of your family and ancestors.

I'm adopted, so my best claim is that there is no proof my parents ever had sex. :D
The Tiger army are your parents now. How about your history with your association with the club seem it is a football site after all.

The Tiger army are your parents now. How about your history with your association with the club seem it is a football site after all.

Yeah, well, not so sure about my association with the AFL any more...I love Richmond, but as time goes on I wonder more and more if I can still support a team in a competition with such a lack of integrity (to be clear, this isn't just about the drugs issue).

Yeah, well, not so sure about my association with the AFL any more...I love Richmond, but as time goes on I wonder more and more if I can still support a team in a competition with such a lack of integrity (to be clear, this isn't just about the drugs issue).
Yesterday was a bit of a shock to the system, for me it removed what little integrity the AFL had left, it lost a lot after the Ziebell bump on Joseph and the tribunal system with Barry Hall. Are you a Richmond member though?

Yesterday was a bit of a shock to the system, for me it removed what little integrity the AFL had left, it lost a lot after the Ziebell bump on Joseph and the tribunal system with Barry Hall. Are you a Richmond member though?

Yeah. Actually, I didn't renew last year (partly due to financial issues), and my brother (thinking it was all about the $) renewed/paid for me as an xmas pressie, so I'm in for the rest of the year regardless.

For me it's the fixture, and the twisting of things (COLA & academies) to promote the game in NSW/QLD by helping those clubs have success that have been eating away at me for a while. Surely a sporting comp should be all about keeping things as even as possible, not artificially helping some clubs be successful 'for the long term good of the league'.

Yesterday was a shock, but I look at the people on the tribunal and can't believe (choose not to believe?) they'd be corrupt on this, but my main fear from it is that it'll open the flood gates to other clubs running programs.

Yeah. Actually, I didn't renew last year (partly due to financial issues), and my brother (thinking it was all about the $) renewed/paid for me as an xmas pressie, so I'm in for the rest of the year regardless.

For me it's the fixture, and the twisting of things (COLA & academies) to promote the game in NSW/QLD by helping those clubs have success that have been eating away at me for a while. Surely a sporting comp should be all about keeping things as even as possible, not artificially helping some clubs be successful 'for the long term good of the league'.

Yesterday was a shock, but I look at the people on the tribunal and can't believe (choose not to believe?) they'd be corrupt on this, but my main fear from it is that it'll open the flood gates to other clubs running programs.
Lucky you with the membership (living in NSW supporting a Vic club that's lucky to come up here once a year, l don't bother). I'm the same, l'm all for growing the game in NSW etc, but there's a cut off point and COLA gives too much of an advantage (the AFL gave the Swans 12 million last year alone as well), they should have spent that 12 on improving grass roots footy nationwide tbh even if NSW doesn't have a club for a decade or so. Yea the same bloke that got Hall off for the Granny was on the tribunal, what a shocker. This will go to the courts.

chugginon do you wish to share or do l have to force you.
LOL What did I do ? The best thing my ancestors did was to have me :p My background is like a lot of others. British. And I will have to think when I have more time / So you will just have to have your " call waiting " turned on . And you go first , any way Your post :)

LOL What did I do ? The best thing my ancestors did was to have me :p My background is like a lot of others. British. And I will have to think when I have more time / So you will just have to have your " call waiting " turned on . And you go first , any way Your post :)
I'll put my pitchfork away then. Well where do l begin. My family had historians trace back my family's heritage back to Norman times for one side of the family. My mother's father's side came from Normandy after some point after the Norman invasion in 1066 and had the name of Finche and dropped the e along the way and several family served in the Australian military during the twentieth century in both World Wars. One served in France in the First World War and my Great, Great Uncle served as a pilot in North Africa in the Second World War against the Desert Fox.

My father's mother's side has linkages to the lower Prussian nobility and 'junkers' of the late 18th century around the Brandenberg-Berlin area. One member on this side of the family fought on the German side in both world wars (most of them left just before the rise of Hitler and during) and was killed in 1945 after his involvement in the 20th of July plot against Hitler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Fromm

That's a pic of him here.

But most of members of my family have been in Australia for generations, with my mother's side being part of the first fleet in 1788.

Lucky you with the membership (living in NSW supporting a Vic club that's lucky to come up here once a year, l don't bother). I'm the same, l'm all for growing the game in NSW etc, but there's a cut off point and COLA gives too much of an advantage (the AFL gave the Swans 12 million last year alone as well), they should have spent that 12 on improving grass roots footy nationwide tbh even if NSW doesn't have a club for a decade or so. Yea the same bloke that got Hall off for the Granny was on the tribunal, what a shocker. This will go to the courts.

I don't mind the AFL giving them money to offset the disadvantage of being in an expansion state (both for promotion and operating costs), I do object to the AFL perverting the competition to make some clubs more likely to be successful.

On topic....Not a lot of family history has been traced.

One side of the family goes back to the 1850s in western Victoria, although my fraternal great grandfather went from there to Fiji as a missionary (my grandfather being born there).

My mothers side of the family came over just after the war (war years spent digging coal near Newcastle), settling in Richmond initially and if that wasn't enough to secure the family loyalty, my mother got TB, and while convalescing for months in the front bedroom (it being the largest and best ventilated), Richmond players would regularly walk past after training (it truly being a local team back then) and say hello to the little sick girl.

My old man has done a lot of research into the family history, though I don't know it well enough off the top of my head to quote here. No prime ministers or generals in there!

My grandfather did spend a lot of time working for the UN, in Afghanistan in the 1970s building major infrastructure, dams etc. Most of which was destroyed in the 80s when the Russians moved in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My old man has done a lot of research into the family history, though I don't know it well enough off the top of my head to quote here. No prime ministers or generals in there!

My grandfather did spend a lot of time working for the UN, in Afghanistan in the 1970s building major infrastructure, dams etc. Most of which was destroyed in the 80s when the Russians moved in.
Sounds like an intelligent man, such a shame, so much loss of life, infrastructure and historical sites. They still find russian land mines in northern afghanistan.

Two First fleet convicts, a Lieutenant in the NSW Corps involved in the deposition of William Bligh, a Tasmanian whaler as well as Scottish nobility/royalty are on one side of my family. Other side is of Irish stock.
The old rum rebellion, wow. Sounds like a rich family heritage.

Dads side:
One of my early ancestors were very well off in Ireland and used to live in a castle that apparantly still stands today but then when the English came and invaded Ireland they were kicked out.

Great great great grandfather used to own alot of properties in England and when he died he wanted them sold and all the money to go his family but his business partner ended up selling them all to his friends at a cheap rate and his family never got anything.

Great great grandfather was the secretary at Hastings Cricket club in England. There is a newspaper article about him leaving and the good work he had done and they gave him something like 10 pounds as a parting gift before he came to Australia.
When he had his children he took his wife back to England so that they could be born there and could get British citizenship and then would head back to Australia.

Mums side:
Don't know too much details about my mums side apart from there is Spanish, Lithuanian, Irish in there.
My Grandpa who is British was involved in the D-Day landings. In the 60's he came to Australia as a "10 pound pom" along with my Grandma, my mum who was 9 and 2 of my aunties (my other aunty hadn't been born yet). They came to Australia on the same boat as Julia Gillards family and became good friends with them while they lived in Adelaide before eventually moving to Melbourne.

Super interesting thread Kangaroos4eva! We have (kind of similar) military backgrounds just from reading your story.

Wish the history board was more populated.

I'll give a brief share. My family in China is pretty well-connected, so it may interest some people.

This might be a little undetailed because my Chinese isn't great enough to find the translation to English. Also, I don't fully know how to translate some military ranks because there is no Australian equivalent.

On my Mum's side, my great-great-great? (not sure how many greats) granddad was an army official, similar to a general in one of the Sino-Japanese wars. He was wounded in battle by the Japanese, with a life-threatening lower back injury. He returned back to Beijing as a fairly decorated veteran, and as was standard at the time, had properties given to him in Beijing for his service which makes up much of our assets now.

His second wife, who was my great-great etc. grandma came from a decent family and she was the only child. They didn't have much money, but had some very valuable antiques and jewellery that had been passed down. Unfortunately she was forced to sell the majority of them at much below market price, especially to the Japanese. What we have now, is unfortunately only a tiny portion of our old family heirloom. As you can see, here stems the age old prejudice the Chinese have for the Japanese. Ha.

Anyway, since then the men on my Mum's side of the family has all been in the military in navy or land and then on to the government when they retired. The exception in the immediate family is my dad, but he did get a chance to rub shoulders in his youth with (albeit the very wrong) the political crowd. It's funny now to see who is getting done for corruption. Bo Xilai was an old friend of my dads and real stingy apparently. At the time, my dad had bought and imported a car to Beijing and our government friends helped set us up with 'military' number plates - which essentially meant they were above reproach. So our driver would put police lights on top of the car when it was bad traffic, drive on footpaths etc. etc. and essentially cheat the system, which is pretty funny considering he is now the chief police officer in Beijing.

That was all pre-1999 though. My dad moved my mother and I to Australia to expand his business.

TL;DR? Unfortunately, looks like Luke Parker is going to have to enlist in the military or my family won't accept him. :p

Super interesting thread Kangaroos4eva! We have (kind of similar) military backgrounds just from reading your story.

Wish the history board was more populated.

I'll give a brief share. My family in China is pretty well-connected, so it may interest some people.

This might be a little undetailed because my Chinese isn't great enough to find the translation to English. Also, I don't fully know how to translate some military ranks because there is no Australian equivalent.

On my Mum's side, my great-great-great? (not sure how many greats) granddad was an army official, similar to a general in one of the Sino-Japanese wars. He was wounded in battle by the Japanese, with a life-threatening lower back injury. He returned back to Beijing as a fairly decorated veteran, and as was standard at the time, had properties given to him in Beijing for his service which makes up much of our assets now.

His second wife, who was my great-great etc. grandma came from a decent family and she was the only child. They didn't have much money, but had some very valuable antiques and jewellery that had been passed down. Unfortunately she was forced to sell the majority of them at much below market price, especially to the Japanese. What we have now, is unfortunately only a tiny portion of our old family heirloom. As you can see, here stems the age old prejudice the Chinese have for the Japanese. Ha.

Anyway, since then the men on my Mum's side of the family has all been in the military in navy or land and then on to the government when they retired. The exception in the immediate family is my dad, but he did get a chance to rub shoulders in his youth with (albeit the very wrong) the political crowd. It's funny now to see who is getting done for corruption. Bo Xilai was an old friend of my dads and real stingy apparently. At the time, my dad had bought and imported a car to Beijing and our government friends helped set us up with 'military' number plates - which essentially meant they were above reproach. So our driver would put police lights on top of the car when it was bad traffic, drive on footpaths etc. etc. and essentially cheat the system, which is pretty funny considering he is now the chief police officer in Beijing.

That was all pre-1999 though. My dad moved my mother and I to Australia to expand his business.

TL;DR? Unfortunately, looks like Luke Parker is going to have to enlist in the military or my family won't accept him. :p
If it's 3 or 4 greats back it would have been the 1894-5 sino jap war, funnily enough one of the reasons Australia pushed for federation so that we could have our own independent military in a form to defend against the rising power of Japan.

It's the fundamental conflict between the AFL (the sporting league) doubling as the governing body of the game.

My maternal grandfather in Penang always claimed descent from a Chinese Opium War general.

I've never seen any evidence for or against it.

I also know that something serious happened to my grandmother back during the Japanese occupation but I was never told (because I was too young). I just knew that something happened.

And that my mother had me taken out of learning Japanese in high school because she thought her mother would be rolling in the grave over one of her grandchildren getting forced to learn Japanese.
I personally don't have any hard feelings against Japan or Japanese people though I must admit that due family stories (from family members who lived under both British colonial rule and Japanese occupation) that I do get pissed off whenever little graham likes to pretend that Britain and Australia were responsible for Japanese actions during the war.

My maternal grandfather in Penang always claimed descent from a Chinese Opium War general.

I've never seen any evidence for or against it.

I also know that something serious happened to my grandmother back during the Japanese occupation but I was never told (because I was too young). I just knew that something happened.

And that my mother had me taken out of learning Japanese in high school because she thought her mother would be rolling in the grave over one of her grandchildren getting forced to learn Japanese.
I personally don't have any hard feelings against Japan or Japanese people though I must admit that due family stories (from family members who lived under both British colonial rule and Japanese occupation) that I do get pissed off whenever little graham likes to pretend that Britain and Australia were responsible for Japanese actions during the war.

You are better man than I. Unfortunately I will admit to having prejudice. I know it's wrong, and it makes me a bad person, but it's a history I can't quite shake even though I know the existing generation isn't responsible for the mistakes of the past. At least I can see I'm a hypocrite. Maybe one day I'll mature enough.

You are better man than I. Unfortunately I will admit to having prejudice. I know it's wrong, and it makes me a bad person, but it's a history I can't quite shake even though I know the existing generation isn't responsible for the mistakes of the past. At least I can see I'm a hypocrite. Maybe one day I'll mature enough.

Acknowledging ones flaws is the first step towards improving on them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back