Your Best 22 After The Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be interesting to see if they do play Lewis on a wing or half back to get the young mids more time around the ball.

I imagine he will probably be playing in your reserves. Partly reflective of his slow pace in a fast paced game and the quality of Melbourne's young mids. Struggle to see where he fits into the team.

Now that the trade period is done what does every think their best 22 next year will look. I've made a rough attempt on all teams.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greater Western Sydney:

B: Heath Shaw ~ Phil Davis ~ Nick Haynes
HB: Nathan Wilson ~ Adam Tomlinson ~ Zac Williams

M: Lachie Whitfield ~ Callan Ward ~ Tom Scully
R: Shane Mumford ~ Stephen Coniglio ~ Dylan Shiel

HF: Toby Greene ~ Jon Patton ~ Brett Delidio
FF: Steve Johnson ~ Jeremy Cameron ~ Rory Lobb

I/C: Josh Kelly ~ Ryan Griffen ~ Devon Smith ~ Jacob Hopper
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ouch! Look at that bench!

I/C: Josh Kelly ~ Ryan Griffen ~ Devon Smith ~ Jacob Hopper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Melbourne:

FB: Neville Jetta ~ Sam Frost ~ Oscar McDonald
HB: Jayden Hunt ~ Tom McDonald ~ Micheal Hibberd

C: Bernie Vince ~ Jordan Lewis ~ Billy Stretch
R: Max Gawn ~ Jack Viney ~ Nathan Jones

HF: Dean Kent ~ Jesse Hogan ~ Christian Petracca
FF: Jeff Garlett ~ Sam Weideman ~ Jack Watts

I/C: Clayton Oliver ~ Dom Tyson ~ Jake Melksham ~ Angus Brayshaw
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a very good job of the MFC side - well done, you know your craft! I'd have a couple of minor changes but it's quibbling.

Tremendous credit to the Dogs - they thoroughly deserved to win a hard fought flag. They won it on the back of fanatical attack at the contest built on the back of McCartney and then perfected by Beveridge who is an absolute genius man manager. I agree with Trav20 that the Dogs took full advantage of a year when there was no stand-out team - I think Ross Lyon would have a couple of flags if the quality of the opposition fell another way. They are very hard to win at any time.

Like the Lyon style, the Dogs' game plan is high attrition and it's very hard to maintain from a physical point of view and a motivation point of view - players have to be at 100% commitment to the contest 100% of the time. It will be fascinating to see what happens in 2017 and beyond.

Agreed. I am happy that the Dogs won the flag but they didn't suddenly change the course of history.

Grats on the flag but they should not assume 2017 will turn out like 2016.

Winning one flag is hard enough, back to back flags is a whole other step.

Agreed. I am happy that the Dogs won the flag but they didn't suddenly change the course of history.

Grats on the flag but they should not assume 2017 will turn out like 2016.

Winning one flag is hard enough, back to back flags is a whole other step.

No one is saying the Bulldogs will play in another grand final, but the quality of the 2017 squad is being undersold on here. They are adding 3 or 4 best 22 guys to the squad that just won the flag. GWS are the only team that competes with the consistent level of quality across the ground.

Luke Hodge on the bench?????

tumblr_mw83ekDAbw1qkkh4no3_400.gif

As my coach always says it's just another spot on the ground, no wonder I sit there all game

No one is saying the Bulldogs will play in another grand final, but the quality of the 2017 squad is being undersold on here. They are adding 3 or 4 best 22 guys to the squad that just won the flag. GWS are the only team that competes with the consistent level of quality across the ground.

It seems like every winning grand final team is made up of 100% superstars and has no weaknesses.

I wish you guys all the best (except against WC) but don't be shocked if it does not turn out the way you expect.

:rolleyes: I think the critism of the Bulldogs lack of talls us a bit silly, given they actually won the comp and 4 elimination games to do it. Clearly they were the standout side and saying there wasn't one is just dumb in my view.
That said it diesn't make their BF posters the gurus of all things AFL though.
I was guilty of thinking a weak spine might cost them finals to,maybe they've proved that the next evolution of the doesn't really have a spine in a traditional sense.
I sèe teams targeting smalls in the forward line regularly and you just dont see tall forwards kicking all their teams goals anymore.
Just a thought.

Here's mine(including Roughy):
B: Stratton Brand Gibson
HB: Burgoyne Frawley Birchall
C: Hartung Mitchell Smith
HF: Poupolo Roughead Rioli
F: Bruest Gunston Vickery
Foll: McEvoy JOM Hodge
Int: Duryea T.Mitchell Shiels Whitecross

emg: Fitzpatrick Howe Burton

Unlucky: Lovell, Sicily, Pick 88(this guys a pretty solid player, i can feel it), Hardwick, Stewart, Litherland

Swap Burton for Mitchell because you had 2. Sicily will play every game if fit so maybe Hartung or Doc miss out - depending on opponent.

We may well see Hodge Burgoyne and Birchall getting rests throughout the year.

Swap Burton for Mitchell because you had 2. Sicily will play every game if fit so maybe Hartung or Doc miss out - depending on opponent.

We may well see Hodge Burgoyne and Birchall getting rests throughout the year.
Yeah i should edit the post.
I can't fit sis into my team(although this is a team including Roughy so he might get a spot when Roughies not back.
Doc stays in the team for mine. Hartung i reckon is about the have his breakout year from average to good.
Either way it's a good problem to have!!

:rolleyes: I think the critism of the Bulldogs lack of talls us a bit silly, given they actually won the comp and 4 elimination games to do it. Clearly they were the standout side and saying there wasn't one is just dumb in my view.
That said it diesn't make their BF posters the gurus of all things AFL though.
I was guilty of thinking a weak spine might cost them finals to,maybe they've proved that the next evolution of the doesn't really have a spine in a traditional sense.
I sèe teams targeting smalls in the forward line regularly and you just dont see tall forwards kicking all their teams goals anymore.
Just a thought.
A few things...

Highlighting the Dogs lack of quality talls is reality. It's as much an observation as a "criticism".

Just because a team got a way with a lack of quality talls in one year doesn't mean they will the next. The game changes constantly.

The Dogs were not the stand out side of the season, but one could argue they were the standout side of the finals.

That said, if Stevie J plays in the prelim there's every likelihood your mob has their first flag.

A few things...

Highlighting the Dogs lack of quality talls is reality. It's as much an observation as a "criticism".

Just because a team got a way with a lack of quality talls in one year doesn't mean they will the next. The game changes constantly.

The Dogs were not the stand out side of the season, but one could argue they were the standout side of the finals.

That said, if Stevie J plays in the prelim there's every likelihood your mob has their first flag.
We were beaten in a close game in the PF, it wasn't a fluke and I dont do "what ifs" .
I think it's a real lack of respect to say the Bulldogs "got away" with anything. They earnt their flag with tough wins 4 weeks in a row. Therefore they were the standout side last year. I dont like the notion of disparaging any clubs flags, all it will do is cheapen your clubs when/if it comes is my opinion. I wonder if some of the criticism of the Hawks 3 is some supporters cant imagine their own club doing it and that's sad.
Given the Bulldogs were undoubtedly the best side last year, I think it's valid to wonder if we now overrate dominant taĺls, and it may just be the Bontempelli model is the way of the future. Able to play midfield and as a marking forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the Bulldogs were undoubtedly the best side last year, I think it's valid to wonder if we now overrate dominant taĺls, and it may just be the Bontempelli model is the way of the future. Able to play midfield and as a marking forward.

One flag does not make a trend. Want to see a bit more before we proclaim the KPP is dead.

One flag does not make a trend. Want to see a bit more before we proclaim the KPP is dead.
Just a view. Guess you could argue Bontempelli is simply a one off like Koutoufides and if they come along you use them. We have been playing Lobb a bit on the wing and it does lend to the view that tall forwards need to be more versatile in the modern game, they definitely have to be more mobile. But your point is made, only time will tell.

The way we play masks our weak spine. Contested marks are a bonus but we thrive on balls hitting the deck so if our KPP's can halve a contest they've done their jobs.

Last edited:
The way we play masks our weak spine. Contested marks are a bonus but we thrive on balls hitting the deck so if our KPP's can halve a contest they've done their jobs.

We've taken 2373 marks overall, 289 of those being contested marks, 295 marks inside 50

In comparison to
Sydney: 2128 marks total, 344 contested marks, 303 marks inside 50
Geelong: 2228 marks total, 336 contested marks, 351 marks inside 50
Hawthorn: 2237 marks total, 235 contested marks, 284 marks inside 50
GWS: 2260 marks total, 285 contested marks, 299 marks inside 50
WCE: 1975 marks total, 294 contested marks, 312 marks inside 50
Adelaide: 2275 marks total, 310 contested marks, 344 marks inside 50
North: 1962 marks total, 284 contested marks, 274 marks inside 50

The whole notion of needing a good spine and KPP stocks to bring success is a fallacy

The whole notion of needing a good spine and KPP stocks to bring success is a fallacy
I heard someone in the media say the other day that Alistair Clarkson for one is extremely strongly of the opinion that you need strong key position stocks in order to have a consistently successful side and given that he's coached his team to 4 flags in the last 9 years and will go down as having had one of the greatest coaching minds in the history of the game, I'd take a fair amount of notice in what he says.

There will always be exceptions to every rule though and that may be what we saw this year. Time will tell if it becomes the norm to not have strong key position stocks and still be able to stay a really strong team.

The fact that you guys have gone after Cloke suggests that even Bevo doesn't want to keep the structure the same way as it was this year, as I'm sure he'd like to have both really strong midfield and key position stocks, ideally.

We were beaten in a close game in the PF, it wasn't a fluke and I dont do "what ifs" .
I think it's a real lack of respect to say the Bulldogs "got away" with anything. They earnt their flag with tough wins 4 weeks in a row. Therefore they were the standout side last year. I dont like the notion of disparaging any clubs flags, all it will do is cheapen your clubs when/if it comes is my opinion. I wonder if some of the criticism of the Hawks 3 is some supporters cant imagine their own club doing it and that's sad.

Who has disparaged the Bulldog's flag ?

Some of us like to be able to provide analysis to footy and it is inescapable that the Dogs lack quality talls. It was also an unusual year with no dominant team.

The Dogs were not the standout team for 2017 as you assert. No team that finishes 7th in the H&A is the year's dominant team.

There's no doubt they were coached brilliantly and were the best team in the finals. There wouldn't be many supporters who wouldn't be happy for them.

We've taken 2373 marks overall, 289 of those being contested marks, 295 marks inside 50

In comparison to
Sydney: 2128 marks total, 344 contested marks, 303 marks inside 50
Geelong: 2228 marks total, 336 contested marks, 351 marks inside 50
Hawthorn: 2237 marks total, 235 contested marks, 284 marks inside 50
GWS: 2260 marks total, 285 contested marks, 299 marks inside 50
WCE: 1975 marks total, 294 contested marks, 312 marks inside 50
Adelaide: 2275 marks total, 310 contested marks, 344 marks inside 50
North: 1962 marks total, 284 contested marks, 274 marks inside 50

It was a fallacy in 2016 with no dominant AFL team. But history suggests they are valuable.

Footy changes constantly and what worked in 2016 may not work next year or the years after.

During the finals the Bulldogs momentum grew and grew, but I suspect many within the Bulldogs camp think they pinched a flag prematurely.

I think I've started a chain of posts that I didnt intend.

I wasn't saying that bigs aren't important to your team or how it plays.

I was merely implying that labling one team's 'spine' (FF, CHF, CHB, FB) as weak and therefore they wont go far is short sighted once the game leaves the teamsheet. Teams, or at least teams relevant to the finals, do not structure like those old school 4 positions anymore with zones and the amount of gut running involved in modern football.

Its not like Sydney structure up with Buddy leading out of the goalsquare or leading from the 50 the whole game. He found himself at a half back flank receiving a handpass and delivering into the forward line a lot of times throughout the last year.

The two metrics that were seemingly most important this year were limiting opponents' possession/winning 50-50 ball, and defenses that could zone off and restrict clean opponent forward 50 entries. It is no coincidence that the best 4 teams at doing this were Sydney, Geelong, GWS, and the Western Bulldogs. All have great intercept defenses, and all have high power midfields.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back