Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree, if Don doesnt mix things up and introduce new talent we will get the same result. Mackay will keep his spot, at least until smith gets back as his run and carry is valued by pyke. Big year for douglas, can make smith's position his own if he steps up. Otten must help develop players in the sanfl next season. Feel Don will challenge the group this preseason after being let down when it mattered. Selection needs to be based on effort and form, not past performances

Or he may mix things up too much and we drop down the ladder

two ways that could go

They didn't get Gibson for depth that's for sure ......trade for need

What if your need is depth? ;)

But, I agree. I initially thought Gibson was there as depth and to strengthen our SANFL side, but I've changed my mind. I think Gibsons there as a direct response to the Grand Final, to toughen up and bring some consistency to our outside mid brigade. At present Atkins, Seedsman, Milera, Knight and Mackay are all pretty flakey, have their good games, but mix plenty of turd with them too.

We're going pretty hard for a flag over the next few years, I think the idea is bring Gibson in, plant him on the wing and dare the other outside mids to actually "take his spot". No longer getting spots on talent, you need to earn your spot. Gibson can also translate into a more inside mid or tagged if required which I suspect he coaching staff would like.

I suspect the best 22 will go something like this:
B: Brown - Talia - Doedee/Keath
HB: Laird - Hartigan/Keath - Douglas
C: Gibson - M. Crouch - Atkins
HF: Hampton/Galucci - Walker - Lynch
F: Betts - Jenkins - McGovern
1R: Jacobs - Sloane - Gibbs
I: Kelly, B.Crouch, Greenwood, Seedsman/Milera/Mackay/Knight

Spots with significant competition have competing players named as well.

Toughens up the side, which is what we'll need given we've lost significant rebound power in Smith and Leaver. We're going to instead have to focus on having a tough, powerful midfield. Good midfields will cover a multitude of sins up forward and down back.

What if your need is depth? ;)

But, I agree. I initially thought Gibson was there as depth and to strengthen our SANFL side, but I've changed my mind. I think Gibsons there as a direct response to the Grand Final, to toughen up and bring some consistency to our outside mid brigade. At present Atkins, Seedsman, Milera, Knight and Mackay are all pretty flakey, have their good games, but mix plenty of turd with them too.

We're going pretty hard for a flag over the next few years, I think the idea is bring Gibson in, plant him on the wing and dare the other outside mids to actually "take his spot". No longer getting spots on talent, you need to earn your spot. Gibson can also translate into a more inside mid or tagged if required which I suspect he coaching staff would like.

I suspect the best 22 will go something like this:
B: Brown - Talia - Doedee/Keath
HB: Laird - Hartigan/Keath - Douglas
C: Gibson - M. Crouch - Atkins
HF: Hampton/Galucci - Walker - Lynch
F: Betts - Jenkins - McGovern
1R: Jacobs - Sloane - Gibbs
I: Kelly, B.Crouch, Greenwood, Seedsman/Milera/Mackay/Knight

Spots with significant competition have competing players named as well.

Toughens up the side, which is what we'll need given we've lost significant rebound power in Smith and Leaver. We're going to instead have to focus on having a tough, powerful midfield. Good midfields will cover a multitude of sins up forward and down back.

Cant see Kelly not being a starting 18 after the year he had , and Im damn sure Cheney wasnt recontracted to never be seen again

Cant see Kelly not being a starting 18 after the year he had , and Im damn sure Cheney wasnt recontracted to never be seen again

Seriously? Starting 18 means sweet FA. I can't believe there's posters like yourself here that still get their knickers in a knot about it, especially 4 months out from the season proper.

Re Cheney, he was he last player contracted. Kelly, Doedee and Keath, his competition, all contracted well before trade week started. If he was in significant contention for starting 22, he would have been contracted earlier. He's there as back up in case the other 3 don't step up or get injured. It's essentially one of Vader's "dead man walking" contracts.

Seriously? Starting 18 means sweet FA. I can't believe there's posters like yourself here that still get their knickers in a knot about it, especially 4 months out from the season proper.

Re Cheney, he was he last player contracted. Kelly, Doedee and Keath, his competition, all contracted well before trade week started. If he was in significant contention for starting 22, he would have been contracted earlier. He's there as back up in case the other 3 don't step up or get injured. It's essentially one of Vader's "dead man walking" contracts.

Starting 18 generally puts you as a deadset required player, players 18-22 are bench players who are generally players which will be in and out of the side depending on what those playesr in the twos are doing and what they are doing

So when picking a team your top 18 generally are in the team every week unless injured, Kelly could be a bench player and suspect to be being dropped but after last years efforts I reckon he has a few credits up his sleeve

We saw it in the GF Otten and Seeds in for Gov and Smith, Otten was a 18-22 player as was Seeds the other two top 18 players

Cheney is back up only. Was contracted to help the young guys in the sanfl.

I would like to see us rotate our players, including our key defenders to keep them fresh... with a horses for courses policy depending on the opposition's forward line.

KPD: 2 of Talia, Hartigan & Keath (Otten for depth)
Medium defender: 2 of Kelly, Doedee & Cheney
Small/running defender: 2 of Brown, Milera & Seedsman

Obviously our better players play most games, but no reason why they can't be rested at times & no excuse why they should be carrying injuries into finals.
I like the thinking but don't think Keath is a part of both groups (notwithstanding his good speed). I think a better balance would be 2 KPDs, 2 medium defenders and 2 small defenders.

I like the thinking but don't think Keath is a part of both groups (notwithstanding his good speed). I think a better balance would be 2 KPDs, 2 medium defenders and 2 small defenders.
I didn't have Keath as both groups?

I would like to see us rotate our players, including our key defenders to keep them fresh... with a horses for courses policy depending on the opposition's forward line.

2 of Talia, Hartigan & Keath
2 of Keath, Doedee & Kelly

Obviously our better players play most games, but no reason why they can't be rested at times & no excuse why they should be carrying injuries into finals.

I didn't have Keath as both groups?
Are you sure? Did I misunderstand your earlier post?

Cheney is younger than Gibbs yet we are writing him off?

If he gets injury free and with Lever gone he could still have some.great footy in him.

He is definitely in the mix IMO.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BF are writing him off but no question after a horrednous season with injury then suspension he would want to bounce back hard if he wants to play for another 3 or 4 years

Balls in his court but I have no doubt he is in the mix, Pyke clearly likes his style

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheney is younger than Gibbs yet we are writing him off?

If he gets injury free and with Lever gone he could still have some.great footy in him.

He is definitely in the mix IMO.

I don't think it's a case of writing him off, so much as he's been overtaken in his preferred position and has shown limited flexibility to play elsewhere.

I quite like Cheney, he had a really strong 2016 and lost his place in the side this year purely due to injury. Unfortunately for him I think the club would prefer to get games into Kelly, Doedee and Keath. Not saying he couldn't earn his spot back with a good preseason and a bit of luck, but just that's where he currently sits.

I'll be interested to see who drops out of the GF 22 in 2018.

I want to see us change the dynamic early on in the season.

Imo, the players that need to be permanently sent to the SANFL are:

- Douglas
- Mackay
- Otten

On the other side, Gibbs is a permanent in.

We traded out Lever and Cameron. Bring in Doedee and Gallucci to their spots.

McGovern comes in, taking Otten's position. Obviously.

The changes outside of this will be fascinating, as they will show a true shift.

If Jenkins gets pushed, Atkins and Knight challenged. Seedsman under pressure.

Milera must step up.

Will Jarman or Himmelberg surprise?

Gibson will probably demand a spot. Cheney is another that shouldn't be underestimated.

Will we make structural changes? McGovern to full forward, change our midfield setup, re-jig the backline, change the role of the wingers?

Are we ready for a rule change to the out of bounds? Will the ruck be tinkered with again? What else will Hocking change in 2018 that will influence our setup?

We can't afford to stand still when our talent is coming to it's fruition.

Walsh said we'd be challenging in 2017/2018... It looks like he was spot on, but he was also clear to point out that success doesn't come find you.

Failure is feedback. Let's hope the club is listening.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Douglas just finished top-5 in our B&F, and you want him permanently relegated to the SANFL? :rolleyes:

Douglas just finished top-5 in our B&F, and you want him permanently relegated to the SANFL? :rolleyes:
Yes.

He can't play midfield when we have Mrouch, Brouch, Gibbs, Sloane, Greenwood, Hampton, Gibson (tagger) already jostling for places. I'd rather see Poholke in the 22 than Douglas as a midfielder.

He can't play in the forward half ahead of Gallucci or Knight ... nor should he be ahead of even Jarman for that matter as a small forward in 2018.

He can't play on the wing ahead of Milera, Seedsman or even Atkins.

He can't play in the back half over Kelly, Doedee, Cheney, Keath. I wouldn't ever play him in defence, it's not his wheelhouse at all.

Where is his role exactly? On the bench? He is 31 yrs old come the start of the season ... time to move to the SANFL as back up only. Cheney will be the same. So will Otten. So should Mackay.

OR we can roll out the same old bulldust about experience - play Mackay, Douglas and Otten - and watch 2018 slip by us too.

Transitioning the list while we are still competing is something we struggle with, and it's players like Pizza Boy that always hang onto their first 22 spot too long that should be on the chopping block.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes.

He can't play midfield when we have Mrouch, Brouch, Gibbs, Sloane, Greenwood, Hampton, Gibson (tagger) already jostling for places. I'd rather see Poholke in the 22 than Douglas as a midfielder.

He can't play in the forward half ahead of Gallucci or Knight ... nor should he be ahead of even Jarman for that matter as a small forward in 2018.

He can't play in the back half over Kelly, Doedee, Cheney, Keath. I wouldn't ever play him in defence, it's not his wheelhouse at all.

Where is his role exactly? On the bench? He is 31 yrs old come the start of the season ... time to move to the SANFL as back up only.

It's ok, he was the "best team man" in 2017, so he will do what is right for the group ... not himself.

OR we can roll out the same old bulldust about experience - play Mackay, Douglas and Otten - and watch 2018 slip by us too.

Transitioning the list while we are still competing is something we struggle with, and it's players like Pizza Boy that always hang onto their first 22 spot too long that should be on the chopping block.

He came 7th in the B and F its not like he isnt up there and still playing good footy, if he drops away he will be dropped if he maintains his form he will clearly stay in the team unless you want the team to go backwards with a window open

That's criminally underating Douglas.

I agree the end could come quickly for him, and we need to blood youngsters for his position, but geez.... I would have him best 22 over Poholke any day of the week at present.

As much as I like Hampton, Douglas has it all over him and an inside mid. Hampton needs to develop into a hard egdged, lethal forward who pushes up through the midfield.

Tbh, Knight, Hampton and Douglas should all be looking at a similar position as fwd/mids. Whoever is in the best form gets the role.

To discount Douglas from the best 22 based on performance is ludicrous.

Starting 18 generally puts you as a deadset required player

Starting 18?

Brad Crouch would be pretty disapointed that you do not consider him a required player since he wasn’t in the starting 18 for maost of the season.

Perhaps you mean Best 18, or Best 15 or whatever.

That's criminally underating Douglas.

I agree the end could come quickly for him, and we need to blood youngsters for his position, but geez.... I would have him best 22 over Poholke any day of the week at present.

As much as I like Hampton, Douglas has it all over him and an inside mid. Hampton needs to develop into a hard egdged, lethal forward who pushes up through the midfield.

Tbh, Knight, Hampton and Douglas should all be looking at a similar position as fwd/mids. Whoever is in the best form gets the role.

To discount Douglas from the best 22 based on performance is ludicrous.

It wont happen bit of a pointless discussion Pyke knows who his quality playesr are

Yes.

Where is his role exactly? On the bench? He is 31 yrs old come the start of the season ... time to move to the SANFL as back up only. Cheney will be the same. So will Otten. So should Mackay.

He can, and will play ahead of Greenwood, Hampton (not even close to our best 22 anyway), Gibson, Gallucci, Knight, Poholke, and Jarman. The only small-mid sized players who would be picked ahead of him would be Sloane, Mrouch, Brouch, Gibbs, and Laird - plus Brown, because he plays a completely different role.

I've rewatched a bit of the Geelong prelim today, and coming up to half time I have noted players who have serious ?? As to whether they are best 22 as of 2018.

Otten- Just doesn't do enough to justify a place. Would rather a small forward or rotating mid in his spot.

Atkins- Unbelievably soft, makes some poor decisions. Gibson or Hampton to toughen up the wings.

Kelly- I like him, but he provides no where near enough rebound as is, let alone in a defence devoid of Smith.

I really like the games of Laird, Sloane and the Crouches, as they are able to give bursts of extremely high physical intensity. That is the kind of player that wins you games.

Why not?

Keath is ******* quick, and could easily develop into a competent two way player.

I love Keath , he would be my 2nd tall defender with Talia ... Hartigan is backup for those 2 or match up specific .
Doedee and Keath would both be in my best 22 next year .
As would Gallucci and Milera .

BF are writing him off but no question after a horrednous season with injury then suspension he would want to bounce back hard if he wants to play for another 3 or 4 years

Balls in his court but I have no doubt he is in the mix, Pyke clearly likes his style
I love the fact we have a player in his prime that has shown he is "best 22" Pyke had in 2016 and only out last year due to injury and SANFL suspension.

It will drive the younger players to be better as they have to earn their spot ahead of him. If they are better, we are better. If not Cheney is still quite good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back