SANFL
B: Cheney, Keath, Murphy
HB Mackay, Otten, McPherson
C: Seedsman, Ellis-Yolmen, Atkins
HF: Fogerty, Dear, Signorello
F: Jarman, Himmelberg, Davis
R: O'Brien, Gibson, Poholke
I: Wilson, Hunter, Edwards, ? missing someone

Brodie Smith is the one missing from the 44 but unavailable anyway.

On SM-N910G using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
AFL:
B: Brown - Talia - Doedee
HB: Laird - Hartigan - Douglas
C: Atkins - M.Crouch - Seedsman
HF: Lynch - Walker - Hampton
F: Betts - Jenkins - McGovern
R: Jacobs - Sloane - Gibbs
I: Greenwood - B. Crouch - Gibson - Kelly
E: Keath - Milera - Gallucci

SANFL:
B: Murphy - Cheney - Otten
HB: McPherson - Keath - Wilson
C: Mackay - CEY - Milera
HF: Jarman - Dear - Knight
F: Fogarty - Himmelberg - Davis
R: ROB - Gallucci - Poholke
I: Hunter - Signorello - Edwards

Once again going to be a tough 22 to break into.
- Keath will be up against both Hartigan and Doedee, loses out to Hartigan just due to experience/incumbency although I wouldn’t be disappointed if Keath does win that battle, I think long term he’ll be the better player once he settles. Doedee wins as he is more suited to the 3rd tall and I think we’ll be facing shorter forward lines as a reaction to the tigers win.
- I have Douglas filling in for Smith at the moment, whilst he’s a different player, I think given another preseason training through the position, he’s probably the best option at present.
- I’ve kind of grouped Seedsman, Atkins, Gibson, Milera, Mackay and Knight as our main outside mids, with only 3 spots going in the 22 and some tough decisions made. I’ve got Atkins and Seedsman as our best 2 options at present, but not by much and Gibson gets a gig on the bench through the hardness he brings to the position and ability to tag/go inside. I’d love to get Milera in as a priority and if he has a big preseason he’d be in for mine. Knight needs a big preseason, has been around for a couple of years now and shows flashes, but doesn’t quite do enough, often enough to be best 22 for us.
- Hampton gets a gig in Charlie’s spot over Gallucci, again it’s a toss of the coin and I suspect Hampton will probably injure himself pretty quickly giving Gallucci his run. Just at present I think Hampton slightly more natural at the position and ready to go.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Round 1:

B: Brown, Talia, Doedee
HB: Laird, Hartigan, Kelly
C: Atkins, Gibbs, Seedsman
HF: Sloane, Walker, Lynch
F: Betts, Jenkins, McGovern
R: Jacobs, Brouch, Mrouch
I/C: Greenwood, Gibson, Douglas, Milera

B: Cheney, Otten, McPherson
HB: Mackay, Keath, Wilson
C: Hampton, Poholke, Gallucci
HF: Jarman, Dear, Murphy
F: Davis, Himmelberg, Fogarty
R: ROB, CEY, Knight
I/C: Hunter, Edwards, Signorello, top up

Can see Gallucci being in the side by round 4 or 5

Bring back Bas

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think as a collective we need to lower our expectations of Gibson. During his time a North he has been very much a role player in what is probably the worst midfield in the competition. I think he was an astute acquisition as he adds depth to our midfield, and looking at some of the teams posted in here we are lacking mature bodies in the midfield at SANFL level. I do not expect him to be in our best 25.

Those who are suggesting that Gibson is a better option than Douglas should see their doctor as they must be suffering from Big Footy Disease (BFD). Symptoms of BFD include: Merciless calls for any player 28 or above who has been at the club for a number of years and is not in All Australian contention to be dropped; Overrating of any player new to the club (particularly draftees); Inappropriate use of the word mediocre.

Cromulent

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
Feb 11, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
B: Brown - Hartigan - Doedee
HF: Laird - Talia - Kelly
C: Gibbs - Sloane - Atkins
HF: Lynch - Walker - McGovern
F: Betts - Jenkins - Milera
R: Jacbos - Crouch - Crouch
I: Greenwood - Seedsman - Gallucci - Hampton

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
I think as a collective we need to lower our expectations of Gibson. During his time a North he has been very much a role player in what is probably the worst midfield in the competition. I think he was an astute acquisition as he adds depth to our midfield, and looking at some of the teams posted in here we are lacking mature bodies in the midfield at SANFL level. I do not expect him to be in our best 25.

Those who are suggesting that Gibson is a better option than Douglas should see their doctor as they must be suffering from Big Footy Disease (BFD). Symptoms of BFD include: Merciless calls for any player 28 or above who has been at the club for a number of years and is not in All Australian contention to be dropped; Overrating of any player new to the club (particularly draftees); Inappropriate use of the word mediocre.

Thank **** someone can see the light around here...

The thought of Sam Gibson walking into our 22 over some of our talented first round picks does not sit well with me.

Last edited:
Thank **** someone can see the light around here...

The thought of Sam ****ing Gibson walking into our 22 over some of our talented first round picks is putrid.

Get used to the thought. I think he comes in to replace one of Atkins/Seedsman, both of whom are poor defensively and struggle in tight, congested games.

Gallucci, Poholke and Co are going to have to wait for injuries to get a look in. We might "reward" them with the travelling emergency gig a few times which is pretty exciting.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Get used to the thought. I think he comes in to replace one of Atkins/Seedsman, both of whom are poor defensively and struggle in tight, congested games.

Gallucci, Poholke and Co are going to have to wait for injuries to get a look in. We might "reward" them with the travelling emergency gig a few times which is pretty exciting.

The whole tribe of Atkins/Seedsman/Mackay are on thin ice for mine. Atkins the best of the lost, but his constant finals fade outs are a huge concern. Plays well in big games during the season, but finals is nowhere to be seen.

Seedsman is capable of so much more but rarely seems to deliver it. He has a bit of Jenkins about him in that he just doesn't have that urgency and desire when the going gets tough.

Mackay is Mackay and Hampton doesn't fill me with much confidence imo, despite a lot of love for him on this board.

These guys will be given first crack, but Id love for the coaching staff to make changes quickly in 2018 and give a performing youngster a chance.

Gallucci and Milera should really be aiming to cement a senior spot in 2018 as I think the opportunity is there. The senior competition are way too inconsistent.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Is there a chance the crows use Kelly in a 3rd tall poaition rather than on smaller types a bit more this year?

Forward lines will certainly become smaller and more mobile. I feel he will be perfect for playing on guys like Caddy, Stringer ect who will act as 3rd tall forwards for their sides sometimes even 2nd tall as Caddy did last year with Townsend on occassions.

He could also easily hold a Darling aswell i feel or a Shane Kersten type from Freo. Or a Crameri from the cats.

Is there a chance the crows use Kelly in a 3rd tall poaition rather than on smaller types a bit more this year?

Forward lines will certainly become smaller and more mobile. I feel he will be perfect for playing on guys like Caddy, Stringer ect who will act as 3rd tall forwards for their sides sometimes even 2nd tall as Caddy did last year with Townsend on occassions.

He could also easily hold a Darling aswell i feel or a Shane Kersten type from Freo. Or a Crameri from the cats.

Not that likely, I picture us being more likely to use Doedee in that role.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I want to see a fluid team that ultimately rotates a core group of about 30 players consistently based on who we play and who needs to be freshened up.

I want this group of 30 to become familiar with the fluid nature of this team and be comfortable in the system they play regardless of who is actually in the side.

Obviously the bigger we can make this number, the better, but clearly there are players who aren't ready.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not that likely, I picture us being more likely to use Doedee in that role.

Agreed, we like having that kind of “4th tall defender”, essentially a medium defender who can play tall or small. Last year it was Kelly, the year before it was Cheney. Kelly will stay where he is and they might look to work on his offensive output, Doedee is the more natural intercept type 3rd tall defender.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agreed, we like having that kind of “4th tall defender”, essentially a medium defender who can play tall or small. Last year it was Kelly, the year before it was Cheney. Kelly will stay where he is and they might look to work on his offensive output, Doedee is the more natural intercept type 3rd tall defender.
Kelly has worked for us because we've kept it very very simple for him and his done very well playing within these boundaries.

He is a good defender whi has shown that he is very good at knowing his limits and playing to percentages.

Complicating things for him will lead to disaster I reckon.

Ive said this a number of times, but I'd like to see him tried on small forwards. If he can learn to play on smalls, I'd move brown further up the ground and play him in Browns old role.

Ripcity

Debutant
May 31, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
Best 22

Brown Talia Kelly
Laird Keath Doedee

Milera Gibbs Atkins

Sloane Walker Lynch
Betts Jenkins McGovern

Jacobs B.Crouch M.Crouch

Greenwood Douglas Fogarty Knight

Immediate thoughts:

Bolded players are in the gun.

Kelly's role will depend on whether Pyke can slot Doedee into the 3rd tall role. Can see him being surplus to requirements, due to us playing without Brodie and requiring some more run and gun from the back half. Can see Seedsman playing that type of role if the 2 KPD and 2 mid sized doesn't work. Simply think on paper we have leg speed problems back there.

Atkins' role is simply in jeopardy due his inconsistencies and lack of endeavour. Fortunately for him, he has very similar players to that waiting in the wings (Mackay, Seedsman, Gallucci, Hampton). Probably a touch harsh on Gallucci but expecting major improvements from both him and Milera which can give us line-breaking speed and good delivery forward of centre.

Knight is possibly a casualty of the Gibbs trade but can still see a defensive role in store for him. Really encouraged by his finals performances thus far in small, often hard to master roles.

For me, I'm taking Keath with an extra preseason under his belt over Hartigan. His athletic profile allows us some versatility and Hartigan's ball use and decision making torches us far too much. Much prefer a player who will acknowledge his capabilities, not try and manufacture things and rely on his contemporaries to use the ball well.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Best 22

Brown Talia Kelly
Laird Keath Doedee

Milera Gibbs Atkins

Sloane Walker Lynch
Betts Jenkins McGovern

Jacobs B.Crouch M.Crouch

Greenwood Douglas Fogarty Knight

Immediate thoughts:

Bolded players are in the gun.

Kelly's role will depend on whether Pyke can slot Doedee into the 3rd tall role. Can see him being surplus to requirements, due to us playing without Brodie and requiring some more run and gun from the back half. Can see Seedsman playing that type of role if the 2 KPD and 2 mid sized doesn't work. Simply think on paper we have leg speed problems back there.

Atkins' role is simply in jeopardy due his inconsistencies and lack of endeavour. Fortunately for him, he has very similar players to that waiting in the wings (Mackay, Seedsman, Gallucci, Hampton). Probably a touch harsh on Gallucci but expecting major improvements from both him and Milera which can give us line-breaking speed and good delivery forward of centre.

Knight is possibly a casualty of the Gibbs trade but can still see a defensive role in store for him. Really encouraged by his finals performances thus far in small, often hard to master roles.

For me, I'm taking Keath with an extra preseason under his belt over Hartigan. His athletic profile allows us some versatility and Hartigan's ball use and decision making torches us far too much. Much prefer a player who will acknowledge his capabilities, not try and manufacture things and rely on his contemporaries to use the ball well.

I think if Keath can get his game to the level that has him taking Hartigans spot, that will be a big win for the side. Neither Hartigan or Talia provide any rebound or set up plays from defense, they're lock down types. Keath has a beautiful long leg and once he settles I think will provide a reasonable amount of rebound for us.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Going on last years form the following shoudl be ready to go round 1 and will include Gibbs as he is pure quality

B: Brown - Hartigan -
HF: Laird - Talia - Kelly
C: Gibbs - Sloane - Atkins
HF: Lynch - Walker - Douglass
F: Betts - Jenkins - McGovern
R: Jacbos - Crouch - Crouch
I: Greenwood - - - [/QUOTE]

4 spots open

Based on experienced players trying to get one of those spots there are 7 in the running

Gibson, Cheney, Mackay, Seedsman, Hampton , Milera, Keath, (age driven)

All will depend on how the younger playesr perform in preseason if they are to jumped ahead of this six

All other playesr arent guaranteed a spot unless they show something pre season as none have real AFL experience what so ever and are all just potential at this moment in time

Spots are hot one maybe two untried at the most will get a gig

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona

Gibson is in to replace Mackay as the accountable, back of the stoppage wingman.

Mackay will replace Smith at half back.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Fair enough if this is what you've heard, but I can't see how they could tell this in just his 3rd day at the club
Exactly, he would have had a jog and that’s about it.

I would say he’s no chance unless he has a blinder preseason and we have injuries.

accountable
will replace Smith at half back.

tenor.gif

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
So, I've been a little bit bored at work this arvo and have been procrastinating somewhat and thinking of the make up of the 2018 Crows line-up.

Presuming all players are fit, with the exception of Brodie Smith, I see the following players as locks to the starting 22.

Hugh Greenwood
Brad Crouch
Josh Jenkins
Matt Crouch
Bryce Gibbs
Jake Kelly
Rory Sloane
Daniel Talia
Taylor Walker
Luke Brown
Eddie Betts
Sam Jacobs
Tom Lynch
Rory Laird
Mitch McGovern

The only one I questioned at this point is Jenkins given his performance in the finals but all things considered he will start as the FWD/RUCK come round one, and realistically is our option moving forward for sesaon 2018. One I am really bullish on is the big Easy but I can't see him overtaking Jerka just yet, but look forward to a big year in the SANFL from Himmelberg.

The next group I have is the players realistically most likely to be jostling for the remaining 7 spots in the starting 22. I have tried to categorise each into the position they are looking at taking:

Riley Knight - MID/FWD/Tagger
Jordan Gallucci - MID/FWD
Paul Seedsman - MID/DEF
David Mackay - MID/DEF
Kyle Hartigan - DEF
Curtly Hampton - FWD/MID/DEF
Sam Gibson - MID/DEF/Tagger
Rory Atkins - MID
Andy Otten - FWD/DEF
Richard Douglas - FWD/MID/DEF
Wayne Milera - FWD/MID/DEF
Darcy Fogarty - FWD
Tom Doedee - DEF
Alex Keath - DEF
Reilly O'Brien - RUCK

It will be an interesting Pre-Season to see who puts their name forward and really takes the opportunity to put Pykey in a position where he has no choice but to pick them. Of the above, I can't see ROB getting an opportunity. Andy Otten is only there in an emergency and cannot see him playing any games. Even then, surely Fogarty now jumps ahead of Otto.

Dougie is a bit stiff to be in this category but is in the twilight of his career and should be feeling the heat of the next generation coming past him. If that is the case, we will be in good shape moving forward.

The two that I hope/expect to take the next step are Milera and Doedee. There time is now; Milera especially given the exposure he has had so far. He really should be playing all year and pushing up to the magical 50 game mark. Doedee is one I am keen to see get an opportunity. A real sliding doors moment with him last year as he got injured pre-JLT and Jake Kelly took his opportunity and never looked back.

The remaining group are in the position of unlikely to see Senior footy for 2017 (at least at this stage):

Myles Poholke - keen to see this one develop and push the guys in the second category.
Kyle Cheney - lucky to get another contract, however still think he has something to offer if he can have a good pre-season
Cam Ellis-Yolmen - should have been delisted and lucky there wasn't much talent in this year's draft. Needs a miracle to get any game time
Elliott Himmelberg - BIG future for this guy. Want to see a big year in the SANFL. 50-60 goals a possibility in the 2s.
Matthew Signorello - project player who needs to show good progress and get another go for 2019.
Andrew McPherson - unknown commodity who I look forward to seeing have a crack
Paul Hunter - dead man walking
Harry Dear - needs to show something
Ben Davis - Similar to the Sig, looking forward to a full preseason and seeing what he can do
Ben Jarman - showed good improvement last year although not sure he has the tools to make it
Lachlan Murphy - Has a good feel about this one. May just have the will and desire to make something out of his opportunity
Patrick Wilson - unknown, but curious to see what we saw in him
Jackson Edwards - bullish about this guy and what he can do. If he had Glandular Fever last year and performed like he did, then should come on leaps and bounds next year
Reilly O'Briwn - depth, but ready to go if required

Back