Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

No no no

you cant have your cake and eat it too

The coaches make the call, if they think JJ will take them to a GF they will play him, if they go with someone else go for it, if he fails and our forward line drops away we most likely miss out on a GF

You would rather someone else go for it, persobnally I think JJ is important to the structure and the way Pyke wants to play, but I could be wrong, however they did play off for the premiership and the forward line was rated pretty damn highly, compared to say Geelong who had a far superior midfield but had issues up forward

Why can't the coaches make a call and if they feel it is the wrong one by about round 8-10, then make a change accordingly? What can Jenkins do that Keath cant?

Obviously Jenkins is the more experienced player so will always get the first chance, ESPECIALLY if he's competing against someone who had played minimal football.

But if Jenkins continues to fail Id like to see us make a change and trial Keath for a solid block of 10 games before the finals approach.

Why can't the coaches make a call and if they feel it is the wrong one by about round 8-10, then make a change accordingly? What can Jenkins do that Keath cant?

Obviously Jenkins is the more experienced player so will always get the first chance, ESPECIALLY if he's competing against someone who had played minimal football.

But if Jenkins continues to fail Id like to see us make a change and trial Keath for a solid block of 10 games before the finals approach.

What can sloane do that Galluci cant, they can both run fast and kick, just one has more football ability than the other

What can sloane do that Galluci cant, they can both run fast and kick, just one has more football ability than the other

Jenkins has shown next to no footballing ability of late, that's my point. When the team is up and going, and Jenkins is fit he goes alright.

But he is way too easily knocked off his perch and shut down, and when that happens he's pretty much a detriment to his team. At least someone like Keath you know is still going to have an impact regardless of what is unfolding in front of him, because he just has that aggression and desire to compete.

Jenkins has shown next to no footballing ability of late, that's my point. When the team is up and going, and Jenkins is fit he goes alright.

But he is way too easily knocked off his perch and shut down, and when that happens he's pretty much a detriment to his team. At least someone like Keath you know is still going to have an impact regardless of what is unfolding in front of him, because he just has that aggression and desire to compete.

What he's played 4 games in the big league and looked ok in parts and very shaky in others

He will develop maybe he is 25 he may be at his peak he may not also

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What he's played 4 games in the big league and looked ok in parts and very shaky in others

He will develop maybe he is 25 he may be at his peak he may not also

He might have a better mental composition that survives or even thrives under adversity and finals etc

Very difficult to compete consistently when you are not a natural competitor and this is JJ's issue . Can't just turn it on like a switch when the stakes are high or when you feel like it

Coaches will be discussing JJ closely and also coaching him hard to make him more consistent under pressure and if he shows he's not they will drop him

Simple as that , he needs to earn some trust

He might have a better mental composition that survives or even thrives under adversity and finals etc

Very difficult to compete consistently when you are not a natural competitor and this is JJ's issue . Can't just turn it on like a switch when the stakes are high or when you feel like it

Coaches will be discussing JJ closely and also coaching him hard to make him more consistent under pressure and if he shows he's not they will drop him

Simple as that , he needs to earn some trust

Bet you he's in the team round 1

I think he'll play r1, but I will be interested to see our forward setup in the JLT

Going on previous years I would think Himmelberg and Dear will get an opportunity in the JLT

There are only 2 rather than 3 JLT games so the fringe players likely to be getting more opportunity in the new AFLX competition.

I hope not too much is taken from AFLX, the JLT is as close to playing against the better players as possible

I doubt many senior players will play in the AFLX & we use it for fringe & younger players. The most promising ones can play in the JLT as will have an extended bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the team I would go with come round one at the moment. I am sure I will change and edit during the pre-season comp as form dictates and/or as injuries occur.

B. Brown Talia Keath
HB. Laird Hartigan Seedsman*
C. Milera* B Crouch Atkins*
HF. Gallucci Walker Lynch
F. McGovern JJ Betts
R. Sauce Sloane M Crouch
I/C Gibbs Douglas Doedee Knight*

Emergencies (immediate depth): Cheney, Greenwood, Hampton, Kelly, McKay, O'Brien, Poholke, Gibson (Otten in case of injury for Walker or key back only. If McGovern is injured Greenwood is the best like for like to cover him).

Those with a * are on notice and must step up and perform
Those underlined I am prepared to back in for a period of time and have a high degree of confidence in.
Hard call, but I have gone Doedee over Kelly as he has more natural talent and better skills, although Kelly has strength and a big tank.
Keath as one of the three tall backs is a no brainer as far as I can see and has a huge upside.
The exercise has shown me we have considerable depth and can adequately cover a number of injuries.
I have slightly tweaked my best starting 22 from late October after a bit of further reflection and research:

B. Brown Talia Keath
HB. Laird Hartigan Seedsman
C. Gibson B Crouch Atkins
HF. Gallucci Walker Lynch
F. McGovern JJ Betts
R. Sauce Sloane M Crouch
I/C Gibbs Douglas Kelly Milera.

Emergencies: Cheney, Doedee, Greenwood, Hampton, O'Brien.

There are only 2 rather than 3 JLT games so the fringe players likely to be getting more opportunity in the new AFLX competition.

As much as people complain about too many JLT games, what is AFL X going to prove to us. 7 a side? Yuck.

Would rather be having that 3rd game so that coaches can tinker with players and positions.

As much as people complain about too many JLT games, what is AFL X going to prove to us. 7 a side? Yuck.

Would rather be having that 3rd game so that coaches can tinker with players and positions.
I don't disagree, but it what it is... so hope we don't bother risking any important players.

Mackay and which 6 other players will be in our 7 a side team?

Average 50 goals a year for 3 years
Play in the ruck

I don't think we are going to be seeing many more 50 goal seasons from Jenkins if he continues at this rate. Let's be honest, Ken McGregor could kick 50 in our current forward line

But I meant more so physically. He's got pretty much equal athleticism to Jenkins, has better skills I'd argue and just as big of a kick.

And let's be real, Jenkins also doesn't do a whole lot in the ruck. I'd argue that I much prefer Keath's aggression and second efforts in there as opposed to what Jenkins currently offers.

Again, I believe Jenkins will be getting first crack (obviously) and I am happy to back him in, but I personally, really like what Keath offers, and think he can give our forward line that different dimension that we have been crying out for.

The 6 which the coaches think will be closest to selection this year. So your Galluccis/Mileras/Poholkes/Jarmans etc. Using any established senior player is just a waste of time imo.

If every club takes that approach those players would be better off playing in an SANFL practise match over 4 qtrs with 18 players on the ground, it would give you a better indication of their improvement than some hybred crap

I don't think we are going to be seeing many more 50 goal seasons from Jenkins if he continues at this rate. Let's be honest, Ken McGregor could kick 50 in our current forward line

But I meant more so physically. He's got pretty much equal athleticism to Jenkins, has better skills I'd argue and just as big of a kick.

And let's be real, Jenkins also doesn't do a whole lot in the ruck. I'd argue that I much prefer Keath's aggression and second efforts in there as opposed to what Jenkins currently offers.

Again, I believe Jenkins will be getting first crack (obviously) and I am happy to back him in, but I personally, really like what Keath offers, and think he can give our forward line that different dimension that we have been crying out for.
How many games has he played in attack?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back