Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Hahahaha yeah north thought he was a champ stop talking of failing the test

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I accept another reason for not being as good in 2018 as against 2017 ......but not the inexperience card

In fact our ave age of the team has now risen & i've expressed a worry of having added a lot of older players

Lots of question marks with those assumptions

Brad Crouch with a badly injury interrupted pre season another

Has he really had that much of an interrupted pre-season? Apart from being on a modified program so that we could manage his workload and not push him too far, I haven’t heard of any hiccups to say the least.

A full pre-season, despite being modified is a hell of a lot better than most other pre-seasons he’s knocked up so far.

CC not really much of a loss in terms of output as he was largely carried for most of the 2017 season. We will miss some aspects of his game, but it's not unlikely that we end up with something resembling similar output to his across the entirety of the season. Lever a bigger loss as he had a pretty good year and we're looking at the solid Cheney, still raw Keath and the untried Doedee as a replacement. But, Talia was much worse than normal last year, so perhaps what we lose between Lever and his replacement can be gained with a better year from Talia. Injuries aside, I'm expecting a pretty similarly performed team this year.

I rate Cameron as a much bigger loss then Lever. As much as he was carried towards the end of last season, his defensive work was a key part of us being able to get away with a 4 tall structure. However, it is worth noting, I don't think we'll end up losing much in this regard seeing Gallucci is quite solid defensively.

Lever whilst flashy, played loose and really it's an easy role to play once a player gets our defensive structure. It was a luxury to have a KPD height player in this role, but really not much ground is lost here.

The biggest counter to a lot of these issues is our midfield will be much stronger this year as well with the addition of Gibbs and potentially Mackay upgraded to Gibson, that should end up making us a much more rounded unit.

The comp changes annually obviously so if we win less games this year and still finish minor premiers then yes we are the same

You can only compare to how you finish against the rest of the comp

I’m saying our team this year will not be as strong as the rest of the comp it the minor round maybe we will be in the major round which is when it counts

Marty, I haven't seen you make any comment on Doedee's game the other night...

In fact you disappeared from this board for a couple of days.

Coincidence or just collecting your thoughts? ;)

Marty, I haven't seen you make any comment on Doedee's game the other night...

In fact you disappeared from this board for a couple of days.

Coincidence or just collecting your thoughts? ;)

I was banned you banana because you can’t bag Doedee but you can bag Mackay

Insular posters rule the board

I rate Cameron as a much bigger loss then Lever. As much as he was carried towards the end of last season, his defensive work was a key part of us being able to get away with a 4 tall structure. However, it is worth noting, I don't think we'll end up losing much in this regard seeing Gallucci is quite solid defensively.

Lever whilst flashy, played loose and really it's an easy role to play once a player gets our defensive structure. It was a luxury to have a KPD height player in this role, but really not much ground is lost here.

The biggest counter to a lot of these issues is our midfield will be much stronger this year as well with the addition of Gibbs and potentially Mackay upgraded to Gibson, that should end up making us a much more rounded unit.

I'd shelve the 4 tall structure anyway. It's really only a 3 tall structure because Gov covers the ground at a rapid rate. It was only every 4 talls when they replaced him with Otten. CC there trying to make up for that s**t show or not, that was a mistake made by the selectors. Hopefully his replacement will be able to run through the midfield and provide a bit of back up in there as was hoped of CC at the start of the year.

Has he really had that much of an interrupted pre-season? Apart from being on a modified program so that we could manage his workload and not push him too far, I haven’t heard of any hiccups to say the least.

A full pre-season, despite being modified is a hell of a lot better than most other pre-seasons he’s knocked up so far.
Nowhere near full

Or partly full

I'd shelve the 4 tall structure anyway. It's really only a 3 tall structure because Gov covers the ground at a rapid rate. It was only every 4 talls when they replaced him with Otten. CC there trying to make up for that s**t show or not, that was a mistake made by the selectors. Hopefully his replacement will be able to run through the midfield and provide a bit of back up in there as was hoped of CC at the start of the year.

Gov is also classified as a tall forward, so it is despite almost having a small like defensive presence. Mind you, replacing him with Otten was one of the key things that cost us the grand final, so I also agree we should be looking to move away from it when Gov isn't fit (Seeing he has had injury issues throughout his career).

Gallucci would have more translatable skills to midfield, but may not have the tank yet. Still as a 10-20% game time thing, it could end up being a nice change of pace to our lineup once he got accustomed to the step up.

I agree

We have strengthen our midfield and I would be disappointed if we couldn't cover the loss of Lever or Charlie as I think we have plenty of options Doedee, Keath and Cheney to cover Lever and lets not forget that Charlie had plenty of poor games last year as well, I have every confidence that even with the loss of Charlie, Francou will continue to improve our forward line
Forward line is our main question mark IMO

Structure , pressure and competitiveness in the air

As well as being ageing or injury prone

Very bullish on our midfield and confident enough in our defence

Marty - not taking the p1ss but what were your first impressions of Doedee in our AFL Guernsey ? I realise the games were Micky mouse but just wanting to know what you thought

Apologies, I was not aware.

So what were your thought on Doedee's game now you are back?

I accept another reason for not being as good in 2018 as against 2017 ......but not the inexperience card

In fact our ave age of the team has now risen & i've expressed a worry of having added a lot of older players
A lot?

2 - Gibbs & Gibson, who I see more as depth than 1st 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The comp changes annually obviously so if we win less games this year and still finish minor premiers then yes we are the same

You can only compare to how you finish against the rest of the comp

I’m saying our team this year will not be as strong as the rest of the comp it the minor round maybe we will be in the major round which is when it counts

Who are our main challengers this year in your opinion?

Who have they lost/gained?

Forward line is our main question mark IMO

Structure , pressure and competitiveness in the air

As well as being ageing or injury prone

Very bullish on our midfield and confident enough in our defence
Most of our forward line apart from Cameron is still intact from last season.

Betts output may dip.
Tex struggled with injury last year at times too, so output likely to be similar.
JJ & Lynch should produce similar output.
Gov should improve significantly as a key factor.

Then it's a question of our pressure forward/midfielders. CC was inconsistent & ordinary for most of last season. Knight & Hampton were inconsistent too. I can't see the 2018 Knight, Hampton & Gallucci providing significantly less output.

Imo, our 2018 forward line will be similar to last season as the core is the same, barring injury.

Out defence imo may be weaker, more to do with the loss of Smith than Lever... but losing 2 experienced players & likely replacing with 2 inexperienced players Milera & Doedee... unless we move Douglas back or the Seed steps up. Far more question marks over our defence.

Midfield will be stronger for Gibbs inclusion & most of our midfield group still have upside.

Apologies, I was not aware.

So what were your thought on Doedee's game now you are back?

Doedee will be like any player coming in for his first game, he will do some good things and go missing plenty of times, no different to the greats of our club like Roo or Macca. It will be his first year in the big league, If he does what Kelly did he would be pretty happy with himself but kelly debuted in 2015

He simply is nowhere near going to be able to do what Lever did, they will probably look to Kelly who has plenty of his games under his belt and needs to take the next step to replace a very very good player in lever not expect a fiirst gamer to step into that role, or maybe keath will get it with the fact he is 25 and they gave him a taste last year

People are delusional to think Doedee will come in and replace Lever its almost laughable

Doedee will be like any player coming in for his first game, he will do some good things and go missing plenty of times, no different to the greats of our club like Roo or Macca. It will be his first year in the big league, If he does what Kelly did he would be pretty happy with himself but kelly debuted in 2015

He simply is nowhere near going to be able to do what Lever did, they will probably look to Kelly who has plenty of his games under his belt and needs to take the next step to replace a very very good player in lever not expect a fiirst gamer to step into that role, or maybe keath will get it with the fact he is 25 and they gave him a taste last year

People are delusional to think Doedee will come in and replace Lever its almost laughable
Sure.

I don't think anyone is saying he will fully cover the output of Lever, but he has the attributes to cover most.

Btw, you didn't actually answer my question. What did you think of Doedee's performance the other night? Led the intercepts & his kicking was 100% in the final.

I backline will function quite differently in 2018. No one will be like for like replacement for Lever.

Would not surprise me if we play more of a rolling loose man with all of the defenders coming off their men to intercept the ball coming forward. That is how Doedee plays the game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I backline will function quite differently in 2018. No one will be like for like replacement for Lever.

Would not surprise me if we play more of a rolling loose man with all of the defenders coming off their men to intercept the ball coming forward. That is how Doedee plays the game.

Good point.

Lever really enjoyed playing the loose man role (not so much the 1:1 man on man) & we have Kelly, Hartigan (& Cheney) in addition to Doedee who are all capable of rotating through this role, depending on matchups.

Sure.

I don't think anyone is saying he will fully cover the output of Lever, but he has the attributes to cover most.

Btw, you didn't actually answer my question. What did you think of Doedee's performance the other night? Led the intercepts & his kicking was 100% in the final.

Mate, kick and tickle comp against players of his ability second stringers or in other words SANFL players, good hit out, no different to seeing him last year had a reasonable game against the bays but turned it over when it counted and won the Bays the game, he will learn but he may get to being an honest player and play 150 to 200 games like Dogger or radar who knows

So most are picking Doedee to start on the ground and not Kelly why would you do that to a forst gamer wouldnt you ease them into the game, of course you would and the club will, BF posters would like him to be there at the bounce but reality is Kelly will clearly be required to take the next step this year if we are to succeed he had a good year last year but needs to take the next step and I hope he does, Doedee may get 13 games like Milera did last year and he did the year before, plyaers making their debut simply run out of steam in 99% of the time

Doedee is clearly a negator nothing offensive about his game, he will play around 13 games and develop, they are more likely to rely on Kelly or Keath to step it up or put hampton back there to step it up

Doedee is clearly a negator nothing offensive about his game, he will play around 13 games and develop, they are more likely to rely on Kelly or Keath to step it up or put hampton back there to step it up

The few times that I've seen him he's tended to play on by hands after taking a grab. But I read the opposite sometimes about him. Anyway, will be good to get a look at him in the JLT this year. Having been injured during each of the preseasons past means it's only been SANFL. And nobody looks AFL quality on SANFL telecasts.

Mate, kick and tickle comp against players of his ability second stringers or in other words SANFL players, good hit out, no different to seeing him last year had a reasonable game against the bays but turned it over when it counted and won the Bays the game, he will learn but he may get to being an honest player and play 150 to 200 games like Dogger or radar who knows

So most are picking Doedee to start on the ground and not Kelly why would you do that to a forst gamer wouldnt you ease them into the game, of course you would and the club will, BF posters would like him to be there at the bounce but reality is Kelly will clearly be required to take the next step this year if we are to succeed he had a good year last year but needs to take the next step and I hope he does, Doedee may get 13 games like Milera did last year and he did the year before, plyaers making their debut simply run out of steam in 99% of the time
You do realise that Doedee was runner up by 1 vote to Thompson in our B&F?

Best not to judge players just on 1 or 2 games too as everyone has poor days...

As we have discussed over & over, the players starting on the bench in the modern game is irrelevant, because they all play similar minutes with rotations. It's not best 18, but best 22... otherwise Brad Crouch would not start most games on the bench!

I notice that you once again have avoided answering the direct question of how what you thought of Doedee's performance on Thursday night...

As we have discussed over & over, the players starting on the bench in the modern game is irrelevant, because they all play similar minutes with rotations. It's not best 18, but best 22... otherwise Brad Crouch would not start most games on the bench!

I notice that you once again have avoided answering the direct question of how what you thought of Doedee's performance on Thursday night...

Yes and Jonty Sharenberg got runner up at Glenelg, and he actually isnt good enough for the AFL along with Grigg winning the magaery, actually how did he go in the B and F the previous year when he was cut?

Doedees game was like all his SANFL games have been he does some good stuff and bad, he doesnt have a lot of attacking flair, like Kelly Brown, Talia, and Harto in our backline already

Remove this Banner Ad

Back