Preview Your Best 22 for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 side at present, although I must say the side is very up in the air at the moment, very unsettled which doesn’t bode well for the start of the season. Assuming B.Crouch, Walker and Knight unavailable.

AFL:
B: Brown - Talia - Kelly
HB: Doedee - Hartigan - Laird
C: Atkins - M.Crouch - Gibson
HF: Lynch - Jenkins - Hampton
F: Betts - McGovern - Fogarty
R: Jacobs - Gibbs - Sloane
I: Greenwood - Douglas - Murphy - Seedsman
E: CEY - Keath - Mackay

The final 2 bench spots were a toss up between the 2 selected and CEY and Mackay really. Felt Murphy offered more of that frontal pressure that we lack, Seedsman I felt has greater upside and offering slightly more than Mackay at present. Greenwood also kind of pushed CEY out. Unfortunately no ones put their hand up for Smith’s role, so I’d go with essentially mids rotating through, not ideal, but hopefully Milera might get some form up and play the role.

This was realistically the year we wanted the full 3 JLT games, too many questions still unanswered apart from probably Doedee taking Levers spot.

At present both Jenkins and Hartigan need to pull th finger out big time, I could quite easily be convinced to play CEY instead of Jenkins as a medium forward come 2nd ruck.
I agree but not Hampton. I would swap with Cey

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dear kicks 35 goals in his first year then goes back where he was nowhere near as effective (obviously). Didn't look out of place at AFL level though when he has played, and against other AFL standard opponents.

Never know if you don't go and yada yada...
I feel due to the fact we have a few talls and ruckmen in the sanfl. He cant attack the ball and he doesnt have the space to work. Thats one problem with trying to develop 2 or 3 players as ruckmen in one team.
It would hinder his development in the long run and unfortunately where else could he play spare ruckmen in the sanfl.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Round 1 side at present, although I must say the side is very up in the air at the moment, very unsettled which doesn’t bode well for the start of the season. Assuming B.Crouch, Walker and Knight unavailable.

AFL:
B: Brown - Talia - Kelly
HB: Doedee - Hartigan - Laird
C: Atkins - M.Crouch - Gibson
HF: Lynch - Jenkins - Hampton
F: Betts - McGovern - Fogarty
R: Jacobs - Gibbs - Sloane
I: Greenwood - Douglas - Murphy - Seedsman
E: CEY - Keath - Mackay

The final 2 bench spots were a toss up between the 2 selected and CEY and Mackay really. Felt Murphy offered more of that frontal pressure that we lack, Seedsman I felt has greater upside and offering slightly more than Mackay at present. Greenwood also kind of pushed CEY out. Unfortunately no ones put their hand up for Smith’s role, so I’d go with essentially mids rotating through, not ideal, but hopefully Milera might get some form up and play the role.

This was realistically the year we wanted the full 3 JLT games, too many questions still unanswered apart from probably Doedee taking Levers spot.

At present both Jenkins and Hartigan need to pull th finger out big time, I could quite easily be convinced to play CEY instead of Jenkins as a medium forward come 2nd ruck.
This minus Greenwood, think CEY plays ahead. If he’s fit enough though happy to be proved wrong.

My guess:

Betts McGovern Jenkins
Lynch Fogarty Murphy
Atkins Sloane Mackay
R: Jacobs Gibbs MCrouch
Douglas Hartigan Laird
Brown Talia Kelly

Bench | Doedee Seedsman Greenwood Hampton/CEY

Doesn’t seem like BCrouch, Walker or Knight will be ready.

Hartigan to be backed in based on experience and a question mark over Keath on fitness/injury.

Jenkins to be given a chance given ‘First XXII status’ and Walker’s injuries.

Murphy gets the defensive small forward role.

Can’t pick between Hampton and CEY.

Gibson doesn’t offer a point of difference for me, but wouldn’t surprise if Pyke plays him.

Brouch, Tex, Knight and Milera can add a fair bit to this side.

Please Lord let Smith be back and firing in the AFL side by round 22.

Gibson's point of difference compared to Dmac on a wing is that he runs harder week in and week out, gets more of the ball, is strong over it and a strong tackler. Both are average by foot. But Gibson gives more overall and is a genuine option if we need sone support in the stoppage rotation.

Gibson's point of difference compared to Dmac on a wing is that he runs harder week in and week out, gets more of the ball, is strong over it and a strong tackler. Both are average by foot. But Gibson gives more overall and is a genuine option if we need sone support in the stoppage rotation.
100%. If we pick Mackay ahead I just don’t know anymore.

I'm no JJ apologist but how is he "hindering" Dear? Dear is hindering himself by playing predominantly average football most of the time.

Low hanging fruit I know, but Dear outplayed JJ against Freo. But typical of our club, doesn’t get a chance to build on that game, even in a meaningless JLT game.

Their sanfl form last year says they are not ready.

Neither are kicking regular bags of goals in the sanfl... meanwhile JJ averages more goals then either playing at a higher level.

Would like to see Himmelberg play this year, but needs to be when he is in good form.

Shouldn't just bring in younger players with our good form behind them.

What's his SANFL average? Gotta compare apples and apples.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought it was well known that Dear is pretty quick. Fog, I'm not sure on, but Dear is reportedly quite quick for a big.
As quick as Jenkins? I don't think so. IIRC, JJ was top 3 for 10m sprint behind Dangerflop and CC

Just watching the game from the weekend again and I’m sorry but Jenkins is not right, the second there’s anything close to body pressure, he doesn’t look close to taking it cleanly. He just doesn’t want the footy, which is a sign of a player whose confidence is absolutely shot, he’s playing bruise free footy. Hoping if he puts his hands in the vicinity of the footy, something might stick, instead of eyes on the footy, attacking it at its highest point. He’s also allowing himself to be out bodied for position far too easily despite being the biggest guy out there. There’s simply no fight, no want or desire.

Forget about what he’s done in the past, at his best he’s in our 22 IMO, but at the moment he’s a shadow of what he was 2-3 years ago, he needs an extended run in the 2’s to regain confidence. Continuing to play him is only going to do the club and Josh a disservice.

Just watching the game from the weekend again and I’m sorry but Jenkins is not right, the second there’s anything close to body pressure, he doesn’t look close to taking it cleanly. He just doesn’t want the footy, which is a sign of a player whose confidence is absolutely shot, he’s playing bruise free footy. Hoping if he puts his hands in the vicinity of the footy, something might stick, instead of eyes on the footy, attacking it at its highest point. He’s also allowing himself to be out bodied for position far too easily despite being the biggest guy out there. There’s simply no fight, no want or desire.

Forget about what he’s done in the past, at his best he’s in our 22 IMO, but at the moment he’s a shadow of what he was 2-3 years ago, he needs an extended run in the 2’s to regain confidence. Continuing to play him is only going to do the club and Josh a disservice.

Compare the bit in bold, to when he was putting his knee in the back of GWS players, and bursting through a pack of Essendon players and bombing it from 60m!

But as I've been trying to point out, he was like this more often than a lot of us think in 2017. Was it from the broken ribs? Not sure. Was also prevalent in his game in 2016, but not as much, and he was in good form, so you'd take the good with the piss poor efforts he would put in sometimes.

But you are right, it's his effort at the contest, and complete lack of desire to attack the footy that is the most infuriating thing sit and watch from such a big framed bloke. Even when he does attack, as you said he is outbodied or brushed off too easily, and the defenders just stroll away from him like their off to a picnic. Does he not stand there and watch an 18 year old Fogarty go at it, and be either embarrassed or inspired by it enough to want to change his game??

The worst part of all of this, is that is he is a complete non-factor come finals time. When Jenkin's cant feed off of our ball movement, he literally becomes irrelevant. Compare that to someone like McGovern or Eddie who are key players and can still produce regardless of how the game unfolds. Even Tex when he is getting double-teamed and getting s**t supply, is able to bring team mates into the game.

Jenkins at his best, is one of the hardest match-ups in the AFL and brings a lot to our forward line. But he hasnt been at his best since the back-end of 2016.

Going on 30, seems to be coasting on big dollars, and doesn't look interested in the slightest. Given his soft mentality we have seen all throughout his career, and the more recent complete lack of hunger for a contest, I personally, am struggling to see how he turns it around at this stage of his career, which has been one of the main reasons behind my stance on trialling Keath/Dear.

I think a run of games in the SANFL and a serious wake up call to Jenkins if this pathetic form continues, would do him no harm at all. Our forward line has shown to be just as effective in the small sample size without him, so it's not the end of the world as some are making it out to be.

Hopefully his good track record at Etihad continues and he can re-ignite some confidence.

Last edited:
But you are right, it's his effort at the contest, and complete lack of desire to attack the footy that is the most infuriating thing sit and watch from such a big framed bloke. Even when he does attack, as you said he is outbodied or brushed off too easily, and the defenders just stroll away from him like their off to a picnic. Does he not stand there and watch an 18 year old Fogarty go at it, and be either embarrassed or inspired by it enough to want to change his game??

The worst part of all of this, is that is he is a complete non-factor come finals time. When Jenkin's cant feed off of our ball movement, he literally becomes irrelevant. Compare that to someone like McGovern or Eddie who are key players and can still produce regardless of how the game unfolds. Even Tex when he is getting double-teamed and getting s**t supply, is able to bring team mates into the game.
I'm not sure self awareness is a big part of his make up.

Do we still do the player feedback stuff? The 360 degree reviews or leading teams whatever it was?

Would Jacobs and Jenkins have had to apologise to their team mates for putting their hand up for the Sydney final when clearly not 100% fit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back