Universal Love Your best 22 you have seen (state from when)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to try a team from the Malthouse - Buckley era only. I've left out one year left only players eg: P Williams and Sav Rocca as examples. But am including Treloar as he's ongoing for us.
May have left out someone or two.

Essentially 2000 onwards or this millennium / century:

Collingwood Coach Transition :eek: Team

B. H Shaw - C Tarrant - L Davis
HB. S Burns - B Reid - J Clement
C. A Treloar - N Buckley (c) - S Sidebottom
HF. A Didak - T Cloke - B Johnson
F. J Elliot - A Rocca - A Fasolo
R. D Jolly - S Pendlebury - D Swan
I. B Grundy - P Licuria - D Thomas - T Lockyer

C. M Malthouse
Ben Johnson on a half forward flank ahead of Thomas and Lockyer?

Ben Johnson on a half forward flank ahead of Thomas and Lockyer?
You probably have a point there.
I guess I just liked the two you mention on the bench for some versatility.

Mid 70's onwards
FB: Scott Burns Gary Pert Shane Morwood
HB: Billy Picken Ben Reid James Clement
C: Nathan Buckley Scott Pendebury Darren Millane
HF: Mark Williams Phil Carman Gavin Brown
FF: Peter Daicos Sav Rocca Andrew Krakour
Foll: Peter Moore Dane Swan Ray Shaw
Inter: Chris Tarrant Des Tuddenham Denis Banks Dale Thomas

Coach: Tom Hafey

Last edited:

From the '60 onwards ...

Taylor Phillips Morwood
Reid Picken H.Shaw
Brown Buckley Millane
Daicos Weideman Tuddenham snr
A Shaw McKenna Swan
P.Moore W.Richardson Pendlebury

Toughest decisions:
G Brown v Greening or Graeme Wright
Phillips v Pert
Moore v Monkhurst
Taylor ahead of about a dozen other back pocket players!

PS Can people please NOT put Scott Burns in a back pocket. He probably played four games there. If he's not good enough to get a game in his actual playing position, he shouldn't be in the team

Has to be 1980 onwards for me. I was born in 80.

FB Clement Kelly L Davis
HB Crosisca Reid Morwood
C Wright Buckley Millane
HF Elliott A Rocca Didak
FF Daicos S Rocca Krakouer
R Monkhorst Francis Pendlebury
Int Swan, Russell, McGuane, Tarrant

Coach: Leigh Matthews (begrudgingly)

im honestly shocked how many people have shane morwood in their teams,

i was only 10 when he retired so was prob more focused on daicos and sav at the time,

i better bring out the 1990 victory pack tonight and brush up on my knowledge.

im honestly shocked how many people have shane morwood in their teams,

i was only 10 when he retired so was prob more focused on daicos and sav at the time,

i better bring out the 1990 victory pack tonight and brush up on my knowledge.

You shouldn't be. Shane Morwood was an out and out gun defender. Elite reader of the player, and as smooth as silk with ball in hand. When I pick my best ever 22, Clement and Morwood are the first two defenders picked then I agonise on the rest

From the '60 onwards ...

Taylor Phillips Morwood
Reid Picken H.Shaw
Brown Buckley Millane
A Shaw McKenna Swan

Toughest decisions:
Phillips v Pert
Moore v Monkhurst

PS Can people please NOT put Scott Burns in a back pocket. He probably played four games there. If he's not good enough to get a game in his actual playing position, he shouldn't be in the team

I Agree the wings are very hard to pick. We've had 4 beauties in Greening, Brown, Millane and Wright...

I Disagree on Scotty Burns definitely played a few seasons in the 90s in defence..

Im also very surprised you agonise over Moore vs Monkhorst, and don't consider Len Thompson? For me its Thompson, narrowly to Moore and then daylight to Monkhorst

Im also very surprised you agonise over Moore vs Monkhorst, and don't consider Len Thompson? For me its Thompson, narrowly to Moore and then daylight to Monkhorst

OOOOPS!!! Yep - Lennie is in the team as first ruckman. One of the clubs all-time superstars!

OOOOPS!!! Yep - Lennie is in the team as first ruckman. One of the clubs all-time superstars!

And a truly revolutionary footballer. The first genuinely tall athletic ruckman, superb tap ruck man and an excellent pack mark. Think his only flaw was a relative lack of aggression; but he played in one tough era and was, as you say, a superstar

You may have a point, but Taz played one and a half seasons for Collingwood in defence vs Presti who gave us 10 elite seasons as a defender (plus 3 pretty crap ones in the 90s when he was developing)...
And that is a strong point.
Lucky I thought Pert better than both.

Presti did give terrific long term service

From the '60 onwards ...

Taylor Phillips Morwood
Reid Picken H.Shaw
Brown Buckley Millane
A Shaw McKenna Swan

Toughest decisions:
Phillips v Pert
Moore v Monkhurst

Interesting point your dilemma

Moore (i assume Peter) v Monkhorst?

To me, not even close, Peter Moore was elite level talent, a real star. Champion class.
Monkhorst was a very good solid ruck and player. At very good level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And a truly revolutionary footballer. The first genuinely tall athletic ruckman, superb tap ruck man and an excellent pack mark. Think his only flaw was a relative lack of aggression; but he played in one tough era and was, as you say, a superstar
Len Thompson to me clearly the best ruck we've had in decades and decades

Everyone has done their best, i am going to do my favorite players since about 1973, highlighted my absolute faves

Magro Ronnie Mckewen H Shaw
Ireland Picken Banks
G Brown Pendles Barham
G Wright Fabulous Phil Carman Travis Cloke
P Williams P Mckenna C Tarrant
P Moore D Millane S Burns
Int: Ronnie Andrews, John Burke (cos i spoke to him on the phone once and he had me in stiches) Dermie , Butch Edwards

1970+

H.Shaw Pert Morwood
Clement Picken Ireland

Thompson Buckley Swan
Millane A.Shaw Barham

Dunne Carman Greening
Moore McKenna Daicos

W.Richardson Tuddenham Pendlebury Brown

Last edited:
I Agree the wings are very hard to pick. We've had 4 beauties in Greening, Brown, Millane and Wright...

I Disagree on Scotty Burns definitely played a few seasons in the 90s in defence..

I agree with you on Burnsy....he did play 3-4 seasons in defence (was a better ruck rover though). On wingers we've had a few eh? Merrett was a beauty also and Robert Dean greatly underestimated. (Ricky Watt says hi also)
But Brown and Millane win the wings easily (Greening played there a little bit but its like saying Paul Williams was a winger)
Wrighty was a fabulous runner and could really kick a goal (remember the season Lethal played him as a forward pocket and he kicked heaps of goals?) Greening was the best midfielder I've seen and yep that includes Bobby Rose and Bucks folks!! JG could dominate a game from anywhere on the field!
I also agree on Thommo over Peter Moore and Monkey, though I did love having big agressive rucks like Monkey and Charlie Manson (and Jolly) playing for us. Thommo was just such a great player, he deserves that no.1 ruck spot.

I agree with you on Burnsy....he did play 3-4 seasons in defence (was a better ruck rover though). On wingers we've had a few eh? Merrett was a beauty also and Robert Dean greatly underestimated. (Ricky Watt says hi also)
But Brown and Millane win the wings easily (Greening played there a little bit but its like saying Paul Williams was a winger)
Wrighty was a fabulous runner and could really kick a goal (remember the season Lethal played him as a forward pocket and he kicked heaps of goals?) Greening was the best midfielder I've seen and yep that includes Bobby Rose and Bucks folks!! JG could dominate a game from anywhere on the field!
I also agree on Thommo over Peter Moore and Monkey, though I did love having big agressive rucks like Monkey and Charlie Manson (and Jolly) playing for us. Thommo was just such a great player, he deserves that no.1 ruck spot.
I didn't see Dean but I thought he was more of a ruck??

I didn't see Dean but I thought he was more of a ruck??

Nah Robbie Dean was a 6'2 ish wingman who could play FF if needed. He wasn't quick but like Gavin Brown was a tremendous mark for his size and a very handy shot at goal. Fullbacks used to kick it out to Dean on the members wing at Viccy Park and 9 times out of ten he'd mark it and move it on. Very underrated player in some pretty good teams.

And that is a strong point.
Lucky I thought Pert better than both.

Presti did give terrific long term service

Pert was better then both... When he played for Fitzroy...

We got him after his knee reco, he was half a yard slower and just not the same player IMO....vulnerable to forwards who could lead...don't get me wrong, still a very good player for us, but Pert the Fitzroy player was absolutely elite...

Pert was better then both... When he played for Fitzroy...

We got him after his knee reco, he was half a yard slower and just not the same player IMO....vulnerable to forwards who could lead...don't get me wrong, still a very good player for us, but Pert the Fitzroy player was absolutely elite...
Mark W

Your summation is perfect.
Absolutely elite for Fitzroy.
Very good player for us.

Extra tricks

You may have a point, but Taz played one and a half seasons for Collingwood in defence vs Presti who gave us 10 elite seasons as a defender (plus 3 pretty crap ones in the 90s when he was developing)...
Presti gave more over a long period of time but I thought Tarrant offered more in 2011 than Presti did in any one season.

Thompson is the best ruckman I have seen play the game, not just for us. That fat lump of s**t from Carlton being in the afl team of the century ahead of him is a joke.
There is an over praising of Nicholls, though he was terrific.

I always thought Gary Dempsey was far better than Nicholls. Even Simon Madden (who kicked over 500 goals.)

Our greatest players are often a bit under rated.

It was a golden age for rucks in the 60's-80's
I often look at what we have now and think: (Given the old rules...eg. no centre line) What would a Farmer or a Nicholl's have done to this bloke? Think about a time where you had Farmer, Nicholls, Thompson, Dempsey, Crowe, Ditterich, Madden, Teasdale, Moore, Lee, all playing against guys of similar standard. The battles were immense!
Taking away the battle of physical strength and body positioning that was the centre bounce and replacing it with a centre line has seen the introduction of grasshoppers and giraffe ruckmen who simply tap the ball without the bruising second and third efforts of a ruckman battling against another gladiator for the ball. Mummford is about the only true ruckman I can witness these days and even he and our own boy Grundy get "pinged" by umpires for being too rough or for sheperding (using his immense frame) in ruck contests. Might as well take turns at center clearances like they do in other sports!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back